Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,520 members, 7,836,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? (24023 Views)

See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In. / What Is Happening To My Decking? / How You Can Resolve Your Rent Issues With Landlord During COVID-19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Fatbam003: 8:59am On Feb 07, 2022
missidy:
You are not the only one. I have 800k yet I haven't been able to get a 2br in Lagos for almost 2 years. They keep showing me boys quarters or uncompleted flats. The worst is the agent and agreement fees keep increasing. Now they are calling 130k for both. Nigeria is just getting worse by the day and the there is no hope of it ever getting better. I can't wait to leave this useless place.
800k yet can't get a house . Hah
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Nobody: 9:00am On Feb 07, 2022
Help2020:

How did you can I to this conclusion? I rented a house for my sis 6 months ago in Lagos,it was 2 rooms self con and 65k a year.. I think the location matters.

Oga where in Lagos please? 2 rooms self contain @ 65k a year. This your case misleading, please clarify.

5 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by sukkot: 9:00am On Feb 07, 2022
Bunkbars:
What are you even saying, Did the poster tell you the land lord provided a pool, a 24/7 light and security. why are we blacks like this, always feeling we are all in a competition, if he wants to pay 2.4m, he has the money for such luxurious life, he should na, so we that can't afford such luxury, we should keep shut and suffer. Like wtf. What's even funny about what you typed. angry
oh that 2.4 m is just service charge not rent. am sure rent will be like 2.5 million. total of roughly 5 million.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Chidex50(m): 9:01am On Feb 07, 2022
luthorcorp:
All thanks to your yahoo Yahoo friends whom you admire and want to be like.

I rented an office but because I look young my landlord thought he has seen a yahooboy he can extort. Imagine after moving in the fool came telling me that the paint I met I will pay for it, I just told him " baba this little conversation is over and until my rent expires we have nothing to discuss ever again".
I like the way you spoke to him!

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by EastisBae: 9:02am On Feb 07, 2022
ProfAmaben:

I bought cement for 4,800 in December, it has slightly dropped to 4,300. Roofing sheet was 19k per bundle last year, now 43k, sand was 25k, now 57k etc. Make I come build finish rent am for 40k yearly? I dey fear you? grin

You've just explained the basic reason for the insane increase. When you're running a capitalist and rent seeking economy, this is what happens. Everyone is to be blamed, from the government to the investors and down to the consumers.

The first major blame goes to the government for not making mass housing provision a priority and for allowing hyper inflationary pressure to destroy the naira.

The second blame goes to the Shylock monopolist called Dangote. This man's greed and desperation to rise on the Forbes richest man list is making him to hijack cement prices arbitrarily. Cement uses limestone, calcite and other raw materials that are mostly sourced locally. So why the hell would he be selling cement so high and above what he sells in other places, after the government assisted him in monopolizing the industry. Cement cost is mostly responsible for the high cost of building houses in Nigeria.

There is also the problem of demand not being matched with supply which is also partly attributable to the factors mentioned above, and also because of unprecedented rural to urban migration. That's why massive slums are taking over the cities in the North, West and P.H. The reason why slums are not rampant in the East outside P.H is because most of the billion dollars remittances coming to Nigeria from the diaspora are being channeled into housing. Most cities in the East have doubled in size within the last decade yet you hardly find slums.

Those asking government to intervene and force down prices of rent are ignorant because once the government tries to do that, it will scare away investors and worsen housing crises.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by sukkot: 9:04am On Feb 07, 2022
Bunkbars:
Bro aswear to God, you just said my mind, I'm currently looking for a one bed room with a yearly budget of 300k, can you imagine that i could get a conducive apartment, the flats i saw were from 400k and above for just a one bed room flat oh, i have been depressed since yesterday, honestly! Lagos Government especially under this sanwo olu i will say is the worst, i think the cause of all this, is below there are no low cost housing built by government, May God bless late lateef jakande. I think he was the one that spear headed low cost housing. Sanwo olu has no vision for lagos. Lagos Land lord don't have competition that's why they are increasing rent any how they like.
yearly budget of 300k for lagos ? my friend you better move to ijebu igbo with that budget angry

2 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Halo22: 9:07am On Feb 07, 2022
It's unfortunate that our leaders are aware of this wickedness meted out on poor masses and refused to do anything to regulate the issue of housing. Imagine my own state Enugu, that doesn't even have good and reliable business opportunities and yet house rent z skyrocketing to high heavens. I think the federal government should take a lead, while states follow else, crime would continue to be on the increase day by day.

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by FireUpNow(m): 9:07am On Feb 07, 2022
luthorcorp:

I rented an office but because I look young my landlord thought he has seen a yahooboy he can extort. Imagine after moving in the fool came telling me that the paint I met I will pay for it, I just told him " baba this little conversation is over and until my rent expires we have nothing to discuss ever again".

I love that aspect of your conversation with your greedy and follish landlord. On the flip side , rent increase is not caused by the guy boys but the country is totally messed up as everything has gone up price wise. As a young man when I just graduated from the University some years back, I rented a Condo ( room and palour self contain) at 100k p/a after spending one year and I bought a jalopy 190 M/Benz immediately my landlady who lived in the UK saw the car sent me a quit notice,that I should leave her house, once my two years rent expire, I approached her as a civilized man, to discuss but she insisted that I pay 250k p/a or leave. I said okay. Having some reasonable cash in my account, I contacted a land agent and bought a small piece of land measuring 120 feet by 30 feet for 250k and I built a three bedroom flat, then I jakpa one time and flee from the wickedness of landlords and landladies of today. . My adivice to young men please make plans to get a piece of land and get your own accommodation. Those landlords and landladies are demons!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by watchindelta(m): 9:08am On Feb 07, 2022
The problem not only yahoo boys the government is our problem, last year to roof our family house with Gerard stone, they said 2.5m! will make shakara, this year will spend 4.5m with tears doin it, the more you think price will come down in Nigeria the more the price go higher. Nigerian is mess up badly,

4 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Grupo(m): 9:09am On Feb 07, 2022
luthorcorp:

It has nothing to do with yahoo Boys.

You are just a lazy African who cannot think but chooses to blame easy targets.

2 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Eastlink(m): 9:11am On Feb 07, 2022
Adeoye11:
Seriously guys, if we need this huge madness and greediness to stop we need to start trending this house rentage money.
Let us trend it like #end sars.
Let's save legit hustlers from becoming ritualists
Appropriate bodies should swift into action before it gets out of hand
Supported bro. I recently left a costly 3 bedroom apartment and moved into a 2 bedroom in Ajah for 700k monthly. I learnt it was cheap compared to the one my guys got for more than 1 million annually. This matter must be brought to the front bunner just like we did with Endsar. How can we continue to be ripped off with rents. Even houses build 10 years ago have all added one due to the excuses that building materials went up. #Endcostlyhouserent
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by DEBUU: 9:12am On Feb 07, 2022
In southeast, it's a bit different atleast you can get self con 65k to 70k per year. I got 3bedroom flat in Obosi 192k last year though it's an old but very neat and spacious. The sitting room is another two rooms on it's own.
It

2 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by bigcee(m): 9:12am On Feb 07, 2022
Nezzjnr:
Lmao.... I've told myself that when I intend getting married... I'll just move to Redemption Camp cheesy cheesy.

Make i dey my Papa House 1st
Lwkmd grin when you reach there landlord go still tell you 500k for self con grin
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by bigcee(m): 9:14am On Feb 07, 2022
Golan007:
Na una new song be thos Abi?
Shebi una go use am burn houses like EndSARS.
Nonsense.
Mumu undecided

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by ProfAmaben(m): 9:14am On Feb 07, 2022
EastisBae:

You've just explained the basic reason for the insane increase. When you're running a capitalist and rent seeking economy, this is what happens. Everyone is to be blamed, from the government to the investors and down to the consumers.

The first major blame goes to the government for not making mass housing provision a priority and for allowing hyper inflationary pressure to destroy the naira.

The second blame goes to the Shylock monopolist called Dangote. This man's greed and desperation to rise on the Forbes richest man list is making him to hijack cement prices arbitrarily. Cement uses limestone, calcite and other raw materials that are mostly sourced locally. So why the hell would he be selling cement so high and above what he sells in other places, after the government assisted him in monopolizing the industry. Cement cost is mostly responsible for the high cost of building houses in Nigeria.

There is also the problem of demand not being matched with supply which is also partly attributable to the factors mentioned above, and also because of unprecedented rural to urban migration. That's why massive slums are taking over the cities in the North, West and P.H. The reason why slums are not rampant in the East outside P.H is because most of the billion dollars remittances coming to Nigeria from the diaspora are being channeled into housing. Most cities in the East have doubled in size within the last decade yet you hardly find slums.

Those asking government to intervene and force down prices of rent are ignorant because once the government tries to do that, it will scare away investors and worsen housing crises.

Solid analysis. Dangote is not to be blamed though, remember that he has to pay salaries, use diesel to power machines, buy new trucks and the list goes on. Once the Dollar increases, Nigeria is always doomed. We hope it remains this way cos I can't imagine dollar at 750 naira, it would be crazy.

2 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Tboymessiah(m): 9:14am On Feb 07, 2022
Nezzjnr:
Lmao.... I've told myself that when I intend getting married... I'll just move to Redemption Camp cheesy cheesy.

Make i dey my Papa House 1st

Hahahaha
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Nezzjnr: 9:14am On Feb 07, 2022
bigcee:

Lwkmd grin when you reach there landlord go still tell you 500k for self con grin
For where

3 bedroom apartment na 300k for there cheesy
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Tboymessiah(m): 9:15am On Feb 07, 2022
Darkseid:
My landlord increased my rent by 100% just like that for a tiny apartment. I never get him time sha, after enjoying some extra months I go find my way. Even though I can still comfortably pay the rent, it feels like madness paying 500k for a one room apartment.

500k you mean it, where be dat
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by bigcee(m): 9:17am On Feb 07, 2022
Help2020:

How did you can I to this conclusion? I rented a house for my sis 6 months ago in Lagos,it was 2 rooms self con and 65k a year.. I think the location matters.
65k? Where in Lagos Pls? Lagos state 65k rent for 2room self con? Ah, I don't believe you. I don't care about the location. Even if na badagry.

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Emma1Oj(m): 9:19am On Feb 07, 2022
Perfectman91:
Truth be told, yahoo boys are the reason for rent increase in asaba, God punish these yahoo boys aka armed robbers
Guy, Asaba dey learn for were Lagos dey.. I rented a newly built, very very decent room and parlor selfcon in Ikorodu 2018 for 120k for a year. 2022 Jan, I intend to move out a little from Ikorodu bcus of traffic, omo, wen I hear 500k, 300k for old buildings dats not up to standard and my taste,I humbled myself. Came back to Ikorodu just to change environment, same house I rented for 120k den is now 200k,250k new buildings though and very decent. Tins has really changed. I shall settled for my power
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Sunshineace(m): 9:19am On Feb 07, 2022
Adeoye11:
Seriously guys, if we need this huge madness and greediness to stop we need to start trending this house rentage money.
Let us trend it like #end sars.
Let's save legit hustlers from becoming ritualists
Appropriate bodies should swift into action before it gets out of hand
before u complain about landlord and high rent, do you know the cost of building a house have tripled, cement, rods, zinc everything is on d high side

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Advancedman(m): 9:20am On Feb 07, 2022
Dshocker:
In Nigeria there is no price regulation on commodities,if by 2023 we hand power over to the same Northerns,then by 2030 the least bread will be sold for N500 and the least self contain you can get in lagos,might have jacked up to N400k.
Funny enough,most graduate will still be earning N20k or thereabout,then yahoo yahoo/ritual will increase and the level of prostitution/runz will skyrocket and by 2040 every runz girl will get married to a ritualist (non negotiable)

Nigeria sinks at every cockcrow

Are you in Lagos at all the least selfcon is 650+
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Arisenews2: 9:20am On Feb 07, 2022
Nonexisting:
It's because everyone now wants to live in Lagos and Abuja. Some fools work remotely but they still live in mega cities paying huge rents when they have all the opportunities to relocate to smaller cities or live in their own towns. If not that common sense signed a memorandum of understanding with me, I will still be in Abuja now wasting money on rent.

I also left Abuja last year. Living in a very nice but moderate city now. Not that I can't afford Abuja lifestyle though. But it was even becoming boring and all.

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Eastlink(m): 9:22am On Feb 07, 2022
luthorcorp:
one poorly built newly constructed 2bedrooms at my street the owner pegged it at 400k per annum, then further openned his smelly mouth that he doesn't want yahoo boys. Who will pay 400k for a 2bedroom if not a thief?
Remain blessed. My previous landlord said same thing. Dude increased 3 bedroom flat rent from 1.2m to 1.8m saying he doesn't want yahoo boys. Who will now rent the house? Is it legit office guys like us? Stupid Landlords.

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by KIDfurniture(m): 9:23am On Feb 07, 2022
My advice is only for the legit people here. Plz save up buy lands in cheap area for now. I built my first house in 2019, today I m planing to build another for commercial purpose. Mind u I Dey this Nigeria oh. Plz buy & develop it small small. Ur land lord can increase rent at any time because he probably doesn’t not have any side hustle oh. Na that house be the only source.

5 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Emma1Oj(m): 9:27am On Feb 07, 2022
Viltron:
You're not exactly correct. I know someone who rented a standard self contained last year in Delta for 80,000
He used the word "Decent" every good soup get price. That your guy own fit be face me, I face you selcon. That's y it's dat low.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:28am On Feb 07, 2022
I created a similar thread where I complained that a cousin of mine could not get a decent self con for 200k in Ibadan.

From what I gathered, the problem is as a result of Yahoo Yahoo boys. These Yahoo Yahoo boys will pay any amount the agents/landlord call as rent.

Being a graduate of the University of Ibadan, I know my way around Ibadan very well. Houses in Bodija have always been expensive since my university days which was why I advised my cousin to look around in Agbowo. But to my surprise, he could not get a decent apartment. The agents were also very impatient. When they saw my car, they thought I was a Yahoo boy. But when I began to haggle the price with them, they began to be impatient, even rude somehow.

Thank God my own house is almost complete. In two-three years time time, I should be moving in.

4 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by mediainc: 9:28am On Feb 07, 2022
bmdmix11:

na uk or us we dey?
I responded to a comment stating people should travel out cos of high rent undecided
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Nobody: 9:30am On Feb 07, 2022
Emma1Oj:
He used the word "Decent" every good soup get price. That your guy own fit be face me, I face you selcon. That's y it's dat low.
Admit it. The poster exaggerated! And my guy's crib isn't face me I slap you
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 07, 2022
sukkot:
yearly budget of 300k for lagos ? my friend you better move to ijebu igbo with that budget angry
Walaihi cry
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Rubbiish(m): 9:33am On Feb 07, 2022
Aaaaarghmed:
same in Abuja right now,if you see the small room dem give me to rent for 550k in Gwrinpa 62 road.the room be like toilet
Abuja is worse!!!
Even with 1m u can't even get a decent 1 bedroom apartment in gwarinpa, not to talk of them Wuse, utako etc

2 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Newyorkitis(m): 9:34am On Feb 07, 2022
Dshocker:
In Nigeria there is no price regulation on commodities,if by 2023 we hand power over to the same Northerns,then by 2030 the least bread will be sold for N500 and the least self contain you can get in lagos,might have jacked up to N400k.
Funny enough,most graduate will still be earning N20k or thereabout,then yahoo yahoo/ritual will increase and the level of prostitution/runz will skyrocket and by 2040 every runz girl will get married to a ritualist (non negotiable)

Nigeria sinks at every cockcrow

Hahahahaha
That your bolded is making me to laugh very hard this morning.
However, Buhari actually proposed for price control on on some commodities and we all protested that we cannot go back to 1984 and besides we are operating a free market economy. So, forces of demand and supply should determine prices.

*I'm not a fan of Buhari, but he did propose the above including establishing special courts to try corruption cases, but we countered with the fact that we have EFCC and ICPC*

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

As A Tenant, Share Some Rules Your Landlord Made For The House.(pics) / Four Vital Documents To Prove Land Ownership / How To Become A Professional Builder In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.