Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,543 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? (23969 Views)

See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In. / What Is Happening To My Decking? / How You Can Resolve Your Rent Issues With Landlord During COVID-19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by olumzzz(m): 10:18am On Feb 07, 2022
Great0ne1:

He keeps adding money to the rent yearly. The tenant never entered any agreement with the landlord for yearly increment of #50000. We will rather settle this in the court, that is if he can find my new location, after staying one year in his house, without paying a dime. NONSENSE
If you had a house in this current economy, you would do the same.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Edipet(m): 10:18am On Feb 07, 2022
DEBUU:
In southeast, it's a bit different atleast you can get self con 65k to 70k per year. I got 3bedroom flat in Obosi 192k last year though it's an old but very neat and spacious. The sitting room is another two rooms on it's own.
It
which state in south east....? Except you are referring to inside rural area

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Rubbiish(m): 10:21am On Feb 07, 2022
Prechgold1180:

Omo I shock o
Auchi of yesterday wey we Dey rent hus 20k to 40k my sch son went house hunting last two weeks after a week of house hunting nah 900k a year own we see wey Dey near sch
Thou the building is nice
Buh 900k thou it’s a 2 bedroom

Agent fee and the rest 100k
That approximately 1million

Small yash Dey shake o

Thou the problem is not yahoo boys
Go and check out price of building materials

Omo if I tell u wetyn my see
This can't be true!!! shocked
900k for a two bedroom in Auchi?
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Maobichek: 10:23am On Feb 07, 2022
Aaaaarghmed:
same in Abuja right now,if you see the small room dem give me to rent for 550k in Gwrinpa 62 road.the room be like toilet

It's well okay, this is Abj okay. Thank God you only pay for rent, here after rent, you will still pay service chargers and on monthly basis, our prepaid metre consumes over 60k.

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by luthorcorp: 10:23am On Feb 07, 2022
PointZerom:

Just tell him to remove his paint. EOD.
gbam.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by somehow: 10:24am On Feb 07, 2022
SouthWestBlood:

Okay, so the landlord will not increase the rent because he didn't just build the house? When the landlord goes out tomorrow to use the rent paid to him to get the value of what it used to, and then he finds out it's no longer enough, what do you think will happen?

A 3-bed I helped someone to get last year in a nice area for 1m, the landlord has increased the rent by 50%. And of course, he didn't just build the house. He built the house in 2015, and the rent had remained stable until recently. What do you think caused the sharp increase? Your guess is as good as mine. We need to be honest with ourselves.

Also, this is not to say that there are no exorbitant house rents out there.

You're talking to a property owner and not just random rent payer out there.

Because the landlord goes out to buy other things with money made from rent means he should double his rent?

Do we know that everything each and everyone of us is doing is why things are going up?

On a norm, no rent should be increased above 10% in 2 to 5 years.

I don't blame the lawlessness in Nigeria though, I blame the citizens who make lawlessness and disorganisation a culture.

Make una dey wait for angels to come fix what each and everyone of us keep screwing up with greed and wickedness.

A lady came to me asking if u could advise her on a place she sort to rent. I researched the place and discovered the landlord's children are planning to increase rent by 60% within 6 months of previous increase.

Nothing new has been done in that house, no renovation, rather an iron-filled well. Current tenants spend almost 9k monthly buying water yet the children are trying to increase rent.

I told her not to bother if they won't take what I felt was fair, few days later, another of the children called her to take her offer with some conditions.

See, what is going on in this country can only be fixed by the actual people living inside, not even the politicians.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Nobody: 10:24am On Feb 07, 2022
Adeoye11:
Seriously guys, if we need this huge madness and greediness to stop we need to start trending this house rentage money.
Let us trend it like #end sars.
Let's save legit hustlers from becoming ritualists
Appropriate bodies should swift into action before it gets out of hand
But not like the one that hoodlums will hijack and start burning houses and properties. Decent and organized one is good.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by sukkot: 10:24am On Feb 07, 2022
bigcee:

Lol grin. Thank you, sir.
grin cheesy
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by nathdim: 10:27am On Feb 07, 2022
With 1 million you get yourself an estate facing tarred road in epe
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Maobichek: 10:29am On Feb 07, 2022
SocialJustice:
It is not easy at all. The main issue is housing deficit.

Nigeria needs to start building estates massively, or incentivise the private sector to build mass housing for rent.

As long as the massive deficit exist, rent will continue to skyrocket.

Bros, there are several estates in Abj but too costly that ppl can't afford them oh! It's not about building estates oh but the price.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Mom007(f): 10:31am On Feb 07, 2022
mediainc:

Not true, it's a case of demand and supply. Government needs to build high rise apartments like Sir Jakande did in the past, competition, more supply of apartments will stabilize the rent Price.
The problem with Nigerian government intervening in housing issues is their massive corruption! They will release overinflated budgets for the purpose and steal 3/4 of the money and then use what's left to effect questionable structures which they will still sell or let out at criminal prices to cover up their fraud. There was one such estate in osogbo as far back as 2010 consisting of 2 and 3 bedroom bungalows. Those units remained uninhabited for years as there were no takers and they even began disintegrating. Nigeria is a mess abeg!

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by BluntTheApostle(m): 10:31am On Feb 07, 2022
Grupo:

You people over rate these so called yahoo Boys and it's a very lazy way of addressing issues.

If there are ten yahoo Boys in a vicinity, only about 2 out of that 10 make enough money to live large. Others just make a little and make noise. So the few that make enough don't have the numbers to disrupt housing costs. It's a very lazy way of thinking.

You are underrating them.

If you pay attention to the crime news, you will see how syndicates are being bursted daily across Nigeria with fleets of luxury vehicles and choice apartments.

Cost of sardine has gone from ₦250 to ₦500 within a year. Maybe it's also the fault of yahoo Boys.

The cost of sardines does not explain overpriced old houses in Ibadan. The cost of sardines can be explained, but overpriced old houses? Some agents in Ibadan were the ones who told me themselves why houses have become costly. For new houses, the price is understandable, although many of them are still being overpriced.

The thing is this - a house that could be built with 20m before will now cost approximately 35m to be built. Cost of cement, rods, and building materials in general have doubled.

It is not only new houses that are being overpriced.

So, if a landlord spends so much to build a new house, he will obviously make the rent reflective of the cost of the building.

It is not just about new houses. The OP never specifically mentioned new houses.

I was in Ibadan last year when my cousin needed a house. Many of the houses are old, and yet expensive. The agent themselves will tell you what it cost around mid last year or so, and how the rent has risen astronomically.

Every landlord wants to recoup their investment as soon as possible.

When old landlords see how much the new ones are charging, they too will adjust their own prices.

It's all about market forces.

This has nothing to do with market forces, but greed.

Except you want us to believe that a demand for rentals has increased sharply.

3 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by shileowo: 10:33am On Feb 07, 2022
Most people complaining here not enterpreneurs or business person. Complain about price of bread, transport,healthcare etc. Okay, very simple, approach a bank for loan to build a house at 24% interest, price of building materials and labour. When all done rent the house out for peanuts and see where you end up, even your tenants will deny you. Or get a loan from abroad at rate of 360 to a dollar in 2018 to build a house and start a rental business. To pay back loan will be difficult at the rate of 575 to a dollar. please think am well. And people saying old houses dont need to increase rent dont forget that the lanlord of old houses are not buying dollar at old rate and bread and newspaper at old rate. The house is not even maintained at old rate. Just tell the government to build more houses. News flash for tenants, government now charges new rate land use charge (LUC) for old houses. shocked
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Helpfromabove1(m): 10:34am On Feb 07, 2022
ProfAmaben:

I bought cement for 4,800 in December, it has slightly dropped to 4,300. Roofing sheet was 19k per bundle last year, now 43k, sand was 25k, now 57k, 6" block for 100 naira now 215 in my area, etc. Make I come build finish rent am for 40k yearly? I dey fear you? grin, always remember that it takes 40 naira to lay a block presently.

Good bless you they think the landlord just command the house to be like magic , the cost of building materials is going up by the hour not even day so what do you expect

So after the landlord sacrifice some good things of life ( while you are enjoying them) to build a house he should then rest it out for 40k na him send you come Lagos or why u know stay under your father's roof

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by syntekelite(m): 10:35am On Feb 07, 2022
Its a simple case of demand and supply..hold your lawmakers accountable,once there are right infrastructures like intercity trains, high concentration of investments in rural areas( which can be achieved by good security and tax incentives), good road network in and out of rural undeveloped areas,high demand for houses in cities will automatically decline cos its easy for people to buy or rent their own house cheaply in rural areas and take public transport to the city for work, case in study is lagos ibadan train... a lot of folks live in ibadan now and work in lagos, by the time the blue light rail begins operation in lagos there will be a lil decongestion.
You cant force landlords to reduce rent cos its a private property built by private funds which was used to buy building materials at exorbitant prices caused by your clueless government..so nothing like endhighrent here..
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by sylve11: 10:35am On Feb 07, 2022
500k for rent? I go use am buy caravan put on top my land and stay inside like that. sad cool
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Mom007(f): 10:35am On Feb 07, 2022
aminusodiq:

My cousin rented a old dilapidated converted a room self contained somewhere around beger lagos for 350k! GOD! IT WAS AN EYESOAR.

It look like all this village houses. The room walls have been painted over 10 times.. The walls was mixed with nhmerous olf colours. Its was so bad for the price
I must live in Lagos syndrome. What's the difference between Berger and mowe/ibafo? He would have gotten a better value for his money if he just crossed to the other side of long bridge.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by syntekelite(m): 10:37am On Feb 07, 2022
Adeoye11:
Seriously guys, if we need this huge madness and greediness to stop we need to start trending this house rentage money.
Let us trend it like #end sars.
Let's save legit hustlers from becoming ritualists
Appropriate bodies should swift into action before it gets out of hand

You cant force landlords to reduce rent cos its a private property built by private funds which was used to buy building materials at exorbitant prices caused by your clueless government..so nothing like endhighrent here.. so its the govt that gave the landlord money to build his house right??
Simple trend #buildinfrastructures or #endsenatorswastage..
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Thebest12(m): 10:38am On Feb 07, 2022
Golan007:
Na una new song be thos Abi?

Shebi una go use am burn houses like EndSARS.

Nonsense.
I don see an , e be like u na one of all this useless agents or landlords . Tunda go fire all of una

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Mom007(f): 10:38am On Feb 07, 2022
edydamsel:
I think necessary action should be taken by appropriate authority to save the masses. My rent expire December and my landlord gave January to pack. I can't find a place affordable for me.give me two weeks more the man is dragging me to court
My dear, no fear. Go to court and state your case. The courts allow 6months in favor of the tenants. How do you give someone 2weeks to quit a house?
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by luthorcorp: 10:41am On Feb 07, 2022
Xilsbridalhouse:

grin grin pay for paint again ? grin Baba really wants to cash out on you lol
as in eh,
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by shileowo: 10:42am On Feb 07, 2022
Tell government to build enough houses and landlords will reduce rents. Or ask for salary increament ( leads to inflation and prices go up). tbh, double your hustle the only way out. Houses bought 10-15 years ago @5 million now renovation cost 2.2 million. You cant stay in a house that is not well maitained.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by SouthWestBlood(m): 10:45am On Feb 07, 2022
somehow:

You're talking to a property owner and not just random rent payer out there.

Because the landlord goes out to buy other things with money made from rent means he should double his rent?

Do we know that everything each and everyone of us is doing is why things are going up?

On a norm, no rent should be increased above 10% in 2 to 5 years.

I don't blame the lawlessness in Nigeria though, I blame the citizens who make lawlessness and disorganisation a culture.

Make una dey wait for angels to come fix what each and everyone of us keep screwing up with greed and wickedness.

A lady came to me asking if u could advise her on a place she sort to rent. I researched the place and discovered the landlord's children are planning to increase rent by 60% within 6 months of previous increase.

Nothing new has been done in that house, no renovation, rather an iron-filled well. Current tenants spend almost 9k monthly buying water yet the children are trying to increase rent.

I told her not to bother if they won't take what I felt was fair, few days later, another of the children called her to take her offer with some conditions.

See, what is going on in this country can only be fixed by the actual people living inside, not even the politicians.

Okay, so what should he do? Reduce the rent, I guess.

If the country's economy was stable, 10% increment is the right call as the property appreciates. The economy is not stable; most landlords are just trying to meet up with the current state of the economy. Even after the increment by 50%, it will only get him the value of what 1m used to, or less.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Mom007(f): 10:53am On Feb 07, 2022
thadotech:
God knows we are trying in this country.

Op just shook a table that has long been awaiting shaking.

I just moved out of a place where I have been staying for like 7years now. And reason was the house was just continuously getting dilapidating and no renovation except I do it myself which I have been trying.
I decided not to pay complete rents for like 2years because I did somethings in the apartment which was meant to be done by the landlord but he still want me to pay his rent in full.
However, my rent and arrears came up to like N650k (Rent N400k and owe is N250k - rubbish 2bed apartment)
I decided to move out and search for another place because the landlord was frustrating me with his pay pay pay.

O boy to get same kind was about N800k around same place which was Abraham Adesanya, Ajah axis of Lagos.

I had to move to where I thought was survival and rented a mini flat for N400k. ( Still expensive) Onosa axis before Eleko

It's killing that Nigeria is turning to something.
Young people and even the striving to survive families have no choice but to leave in slums and hope for betters ahead.

Lekki na die.
Most people leaving there only pretend to be big but work endlessly just to pay rent and transportation. Except the acclaimed G-Boys and blood money geng.

We are leaving in a country where no one seems to even try to enjoy but force him/her self to flex small. And after the flexing surely Sapa must hit you hard.

Las Las we go Sha dey aiit.
Na waa o. A house you yourself stayed for 7years without the landlord increasing your rent every other Tuesday yet maintaining it is a problem for you. So who should come and maintain it? That you stayed there that long means you are the one that ran it down after all it wasn't rundown when you rented it. This is one issues that's wrong with Nigerian tenants. How do you live in a house for years but refuse to repair the wear and tear like leaking taps, torn nets, broken wardrobe or cupboards faulty electrical switch etc when they damage under your habitation? Yet we want landlord to smile with you... Shebi when you tried getting another one, your eyes became clear! Now that landlord will do small renovations and put up his house for 800k tongue
Na you still loose.

3 Likes

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by uthlaw: 10:54am On Feb 07, 2022
Badboibipo:
How can a person have over 300,000 Naira and still can’t afford any descent house? How did we get here?

The first time I moved out of my parents house In 2018 I literally rented a house for 40,000 naira a year, and it was a room self contain in delta.

Today there is no single room self contain below 200-250,000 naira, and that’s even the ones in rural areas, anyone in town is from 300k and above, and yes just a room !!! Wtf is happening?

I’m so worried about Nigerians, am I the only one facing these issues or is every one so rich they can easily pay 300k for a damm single room apartment
come to Kaduna,standard 2bedroom for 250k,18-20hrs of light!
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Coolgent(m): 10:55am On Feb 07, 2022
Dshocker:
In Nigeria there is no price regulation on commodities,if by 2023 we hand power over to the same Northerns,then by 2030 the least bread will be sold for N500 and the least self contain you can get in lagos,might have jacked up to N400k.
Funny enough,most graduate will still be earning N20k or thereabout,then yahoo yahoo/ritual will increase and the level of prostitution/runz will skyrocket and by 2040 every runz girl will get married to a ritualist (non negotiable)

Nigeria sinks at every cockcrow

Coward bigot.
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Eastlink(m): 10:55am On Feb 07, 2022
Helpfromabove1:

Good bless you they think the landlord just command the house to be like magic , the cost of building materials is going up by the hour not even day so what do you expect

So after the landlord sacrifice some good things of life ( while you are enjoying them) to build a house he should then rest it out for 40k na him send you come Lagos or why u know stay under your father's roof
Oga stop trying to be smart by half. Majority of folks making this complain including yours truly ain't looking for a new house. I’m talking about old house built last 10-15 years. A 2 bedroom flat that went for 500 just last year is now 1 million. What would you call that?
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Prechgold1180(m): 11:00am On Feb 07, 2022
Rubbiish:

This can't be true!!! shocked
900k for a two bedroom in Auchi?

U say
Bro if I lie make my life nur better

I Dey when he even make the payment
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by seyz91(m): 11:01am On Feb 07, 2022
cheesy
luthorcorp:
All thanks to your yahoo Yahoo friends whom you admire and want to be like.

I rented an office but because I look young my landlord thought he has seen a yahooboy he can extort. Imagine after moving in the fool came telling me that the paint I met I will pay for it, I just told him " baba this little conversation is over and until my rent expires we have nothing to discuss ever again".

Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by seyz91(m): 11:02am On Feb 07, 2022
Truth is not everyone has the japa syndrom or wish to But i Like The Option of Earn in Dollars

It's certainly the best way
Aaaaarghmed:
same in Abuja right now,if you see the small room dem give me to rent for 550k in Gwrinpa 62 road.the room be like toilet
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by aminusodiq(m): 11:02am On Feb 07, 2022
Mom007:

I must live in Lagos syndrome. What's the difference between Berger and mowe/ibafo? He would have gotten a better value for his money if he just crossed to the other side of long bridge.
lol... He has always lived in lagos... They were born there
Re: Please What Is Happening With Nigeria And Rent Issues? by Rubbiish(m): 11:02am On Feb 07, 2022
Prechgold1180:

U say
Bro if I lie make my life nur better

I Dey when he even make the payment
O boy!!!
That is too much nau for auchi
Wetin con dey auchi? 900k is too much!
No be only poly?
Your bro for no pay for that house honestly.
How much be 2 bedroom for even GRA & Airport road for Benin? The price was outrageous!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Become A Professional Builder In Nigeria / Four Vital Documents To Prove Land Ownership / Flag-Off Of NIMASA Housing Estate Abuja Project In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.