Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? (17679 Views)

Humble Sadio Mane Helps Offload Senegal Team Bus, Teammates Walk Off (Photos) / Russia 2018 – Hazard Takes Swipe At England’s Golden Generation / The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 9:18am On Feb 07, 2022
greypencils:
Against who and who in Africa? Who are the current stars in Africa? Salah, Mane, Mahrez, Auba, Zaha. Now compare them to the stars in 2002
Etoo, Mboma, Kanu, Okocha, Diouf. I think 2002, there was stiffer competition otherwise they would have won something.

What are u saying?? Do u know Africa now have the best players ever produced in its history... They are way better African players now that ever...okochas generation dint achieve half of what these present African players are achieving..... how many Africans were playing for big teams regularly back then??
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Hangulsaram: 9:19am On Feb 07, 2022
This is just like saying that Nigeria Team that won the 2013 nations cup is better than the team that played Cameron in the 2000 AFCON finals. Senegals 2002 teams is simply unlucky.

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Echara: 9:20am On Feb 07, 2022
checkoutEnugu:

Pls just shut up

Kids and insults nowadays. It's always difficult for them to hold a conversation because they're bereft of thinking abilities so they resort to insult.

I've decided to be ignoring kids anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Skooltynz: 9:20am On Feb 07, 2022
emmykk:

Will this generation beat France in world cup.

There was a Senegal team that got to world cup semi final...

It's football anything can happen... wink
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by MJBOLT: 9:21am On Feb 07, 2022
most people saying the 2002 team are just blinded by nostalgia,the 2022 team are far better.

Beating world champion no be trophy abeg
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by beejay85: 9:22am On Feb 07, 2022
robosky02:
Which Senegalese team deserve the name Golden generation 2002 world cup team or 2021AFCON winning Team?

1. The 2002 team was the team that shock the world when the defeated the reigning world champions France at the opening game of the Korea/Japan 2002 world cup.
The team boost of the like of
Aliou CISSE (the current coach), El Hadji DIOUF, etc

Full squard:Ferdinand COLY, Khalilou FADIGA, Pape Bouba DIOP, Pape Malick DIOP, Lamine DIATTA, Torwart Tony SYLVA; vordere Reihe v.lks.: Omar DAF, El Hadji DIOUF, Moussa NDIAYE, Salif DIAO, Aliou CISSE

2 the 2021 team that just won the AFCON in Cameroon. Defeating Egypt in the finals on penalties and giving Senegal their first AFCON title this year.
The team have the likes of
Edouard Mendy;Kalidou Koulibaly ,Sadio Mane,

Full Squard: Edouard Mendy; Bouna Sarr, Kalidou Koulibaly, Abdou Diallo, Saliou Ciss; Pape Matar Sarr, Idrissa Gueye, Cheikhou Kouyate, Keita Balde; Sadio Mane, Boulaye Dia.

Source: Robosky02
The Senegalese team of 2002 was a joy to watch especially during the world cup..
Their match with France in d 2002 world cup was played around 9am... I was to choose between watching the match and writing my further maths exam that morn... Since FM was an option, I opted for d match....and I was glad I did grin

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingosytex(m): 9:22am On Feb 07, 2022
After beating France and Netherlands, then what next?
Are France and Netherlands the trophies they won?

The current squad is better by far. They have the trophy to show for it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Josh64(m): 9:24am On Feb 07, 2022
chamboy:
The have more World Class Players now.

The word "world class" is overrated now. Do you know What it takes to be world class in 2002? All these ones now would be average players back then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 9:27am On Feb 07, 2022
checkoutEnugu:
Hmm.. At this moment, I want to say even Senegalese people know the answer to this.
That name Alhaji diouf . That sums it all. The guy is a king in Senegal.
That 2002 Senegal squad is the greatest African team ever put together . Far ahead of Nigerias 1994 world cup team or camerons 1990 world cup team.
What those boys did for Africa, can or may never be repeated. Wow.
Even mane knows he cannot lace their boots. He will have to dig deeper to even be considered a national treasure in Senegal. Those 2002 boys are national treasures.
If u didnt watch them growing up, u have missed a whole lot.

I understand these crop won nations cup but anybody can win nations cup just like 2013 Nigerian team won it but wasnt a great squad.
I rest my pen

Which Diuof ?? Sane is the greatest player to ever play the game from Senegal.. who be Diouf compared to sane .... even in Liverpool , sanes achievement dwarfs dioufs ... what did Diouf win for Senegal... sane don carry them enter back to back finals come win one .... Diouf achievement was being the first Senegalese to win the African player of the year... sane will still win another... Diouf never even won player of the tournament.... Senegal presently have the best keeper in world football... they have 3 champions league winners in their team ... their 2 central backs play for PSG and Napoli ...haba
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by gsegun43: 9:29am On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

How can u say 2002 were far better than this present team ?? How many finals did they play?? This present team have played back to back finals and won one

They lost to Nigeria in the quarter finals of 2000 (after extra time), reached the finals in 2002, qualified Senegal for WC for the first time, beat the defending champions (very unexpectedly) and reached the quarter finals of the tournament. They lost to another dark horse of the tournament (Turkey) by golden goal. They are a good team. This current team and good no doubt but they are not exceptional.

grin
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Tekahashi: 9:29am On Feb 07, 2022
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 9:32am On Feb 07, 2022
gsegun43:

They lost to Nigeria in the quarter finals of 2000 (after extra time), reached the finals in 2002, qualified Senegal for WC for the first time, beat the defending champions (very unexpectedly) and reached the quarter finals of the tournament. They lost to another dark horse of the tournament (Turkey) by golden goal. They are a good team. This current team and good no doubt but they are not exceptional.

They are exceptional, because they have achieved what 2002 cudnt achieve....winning something... loosing to Nigeria, beating France loosing on golden goal rule no be achievement... winning afcon is the main achievement... and they are favourites to win it again next yr
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by DukeNija(m): 9:36am On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

How can u say 2002 were far better than this present team ?? How many finals did they play?? This present team have played back to back finals and won one

Tell me you’re an indomie generation without telling me you’re an indomie generation.

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by gsegun43: 9:38am On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

They are exceptional, because they have achieved what 2002 cudnt achieve....winning something... loosing to Nigeria, beating France loosing on golden goal rule no be achievement... winning afcon is the main achievement... and they are favourites to win it again next yr

Well I believe if you watch those games you will not be typing this, what is exceptional about this team, you can only talk about their individual achievement and not as a team. Talking of overrated Mendy that will rush out and rush back without thinking? Go and watch that Tony Sylva. Their is difference between individual brilliance and collective team works, like some wrote up there, in the 2002 team they have warriors and I mean it.

grin

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by azpekuliar: 9:40am On Feb 07, 2022
The 2002 team would always always have a special place in my heart. smiley

RIP Bruno Metsu
RIP Papa Buba ‘The Wardrobe’ Diop

2 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Oluelite(m): 9:40am On Feb 07, 2022
The 2002 team created the now Senegal

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by checkoutEnugu: 9:41am On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

Which Diuof ?? Sane is the greatest player to ever play the game from Senegal.. who be Diouf compared to sane .... even in Liverpool , sanes achievement dwarfs dioufs ... what did Diouf win for Senegal... sane don carry them enter back to back finals come win one .... Diouf achievement was being the first Senegalese to win the African player of the year... sane will still win another... Diouf never even won player of the tournament.... Senegal presently have the best keeper in world football... they have 3 champions league winners in their team ... their 2 central backs play for PSG and Napoli ...haba

That's the issue. This present Senegal players are overfed and hype jobs. They couldn't even score more than 1 goal each in all their matches and failed to score in 2 back to back finals...
That their players play for gig clubs is a reason they should walk through local based Egypt.

2002 squad were all average players with big heart. Average clubs as at then and nobody even gave them a chance of anything. That's when greatness comes. They weren't great but together, they not only defeated greater teams but they achieved greatness.

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Shegzy8(m): 9:44am On Feb 07, 2022
Slayar:
Anyone who says this team is better than 2002 team is probably under 20yrs old.
There’s always this sentiment in Favour of past players or team. This Senegal team has won there first major trophy, they got to the AFCON finals back to back, qualified for the World Cup, can still qualify for another. There is no medal for “I beat France”. Who brought more joy to the country between this group and the previous one. Everything isn’t about age.

3 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by beejay85: 9:47am On Feb 07, 2022
BluntTheApostle:
The 2002 squad was obviously the golden age of Senegalese football.

These present squad is great as well, and has been consistent on the continent. However, to be able to steal the show from the 2002 squad, this current squad needs to take their consistency to the world stage as well.

But more noteworthy is how Senegal has really grown to be a force to reckon with in African football.
The team is doing very well because they have a former player Aliou cisse as coach....and Aliou was given enough time to build,work and rework this team ....am glad it's working for senegal
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Irondome1: 9:49am On Feb 07, 2022
Una dey crase... How will you compare a trophy winning team to none trophy winning team?

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by checkolatunji: 9:56am On Feb 07, 2022
Olarewajutv:
This current 2021 SENEGAL don't sell a car, but sell a dream. Here right here is power of greatest Senegal national team. There are many great squad teams in Senegal country, but there is only one current greatest2021 squad.

Trophy does not determine a golden generation, England, Spain, Netherlands and Belgium(still trophy) golden generations didn't win any trouphy.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by BluntTheApostle(m): 10:00am On Feb 07, 2022
beejay85:

The team is doing very well because they have a former player Aliou cisse as coach....and Aliou was given enough time to build,work and rework this team ....am glad it's working for senegal

Honestly, it is their time.

Hopefully, Nigeria's time will come soon so that we can dominate African football like we did in the 90s when we were the 5th best in the world.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by tctrills: 10:06am On Feb 07, 2022
robosky02:
Which Senegalese team deserve the name Golden generation 2002 world cup team or 2021AFCON winning Team?

1. The 2002 team was the team that shock the world when the defeated the reigning world champions France at the opening game of the Korea/Japan 2002 world cup.
The team boost of the like of
Aliou CISSE (the current coach), El Hadji DIOUF, etc

Full squard:Ferdinand COLY, Khalilou FADIGA, Pape Bouba DIOP, Pape Malick DIOP, Lamine DIATTA, Torwart Tony SYLVA; vordere Reihe v.lks.: Omar DAF, El Hadji DIOUF, Moussa NDIAYE, Salif DIAO, Aliou CISSE

2 the 2021 team that just won the AFCON in Cameroon. Defeating Egypt in the finals on penalties and giving Senegal their first AFCON title this year.
The team have the likes of
Edouard Mendy;Kalidou Koulibaly ,Sadio Mane,

Full Squard: Edouard Mendy; Bouna Sarr, Kalidou Koulibaly, Abdou Diallo, Saliou Ciss; Pape Matar Sarr, Idrissa Gueye, Cheikhou Kouyate, Keita Balde; Sadio Mane, Boulaye Dia.

Source: Robosky02
Both teams are golden generations
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Starzo: 10:09am On Feb 07, 2022
Whobedatte:
The team of 2002 was a beast .
Shocked defending champions France in world cup opener and became the second African country to reach the Q/F of a world cup tournament.
They lost to Cameroon in 2002 via penalties ,remember that Cameroon squad was the best ever assembled african team of all time

Then what will you call the Egyptian team that won the nation's cup three times in a row?
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Formularcr7: 10:12am On Feb 07, 2022
This present set is kinda overrated bar Mane, Koulibaly, Mendy... What this Senegal team is missing is a Mikel or Fadiga type midfield controller. That's the missing piece.[/quote]idrisa Gueye is better than Mikel and fadiga
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Echara: 10:14am On Feb 07, 2022
emmykk:

Will this generation beat France in world cup.

There was a Senegal team that got to world cup semi final...

There was no Senegal team that got to world cup semi final
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Maobichek: 10:15am On Feb 07, 2022
ThierryJay:
2000 - 2002 team edges it for me.

They faced stronger sides then and triumphed. The Cameroon of Mboma and Etoo that they faced and lost to via penalties in 2002 final is much stronger than Egypt of this Afcon.

The team also beat a French team in their prime at the world cup and went on to reach the quarter finals which I believe supersedes their current nations cup trophy win.

Those giving it to the present team definitely do not know most of the guys that played in 2002. 2000/2002 team were more pronounced base on their performance and teams played against.

This present team is absolutely good but the 2002 squad were classy and better.

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Soffyh(m): 10:19am On Feb 07, 2022
Some comparison dey always give me headaches,how will you be comparing winners to trial,if 2002 squad rugged why they can't take afcon cup if they can't win world cup,celebrating quarter final hiss kiss
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by derbykol(f): 10:44am On Feb 07, 2022
HIGHESTPOPORI:
Why not, any team can beat any team.Senegal can beat France
You are correct.Football is unpredictable.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Westchester(m): 10:57am On Feb 07, 2022
Only indomie generations would say this current Senegalese team is greater of the 2002 team, I was 10 in 2002 and can pretty much remember watching them beat us in the semi finals, the match pained me that night, and I went on to watch them in the 2002 world cup.
What a formidable team they where shocked I watched all their games and saw how these guys dismantled France, Uruguay, Denmark, Sweden and were robbed in the quarter final game against Turkey. Diouf, Fadiga and their goalkeeper Silva were really formidable.
I'd root for that 2002 team twice on a Monday morning grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NFF Sacks Rohr, Appoints Eguaveon Interim Head Coach / Ighalo Wins West Asia Player Of The Month Award / Goal Of The Tournament: Vote For Asisat Oshoala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.