Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,133 members, 7,829,046 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? (17685 Views)

Humble Sadio Mane Helps Offload Senegal Team Bus, Teammates Walk Off (Photos) / Russia 2018 – Hazard Takes Swipe At England’s Golden Generation / The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by sniper77(m): 1:01pm On Feb 07, 2022
I have been priviledged to watch 4 different Senegalese national team in 30years.

The Senegalese team captained by the late Jules Bocande at Senegal 92 was a formidable squad and the super eagles of Nigeria defeated that team in the first game of afcon hosted by Senegal.It wasn't an easy game and the late Stephen Keshi scored the winning goal in that match which ended 2-1 in favour of Nigeria.

A new generation emerged in 2000 and Nigeria laboured hard to edge them out in a quarter final game after conceding a goal scored by Henri Camara.Julius Aghahowa came from the bench to give Nigeria victory.

The Senegalese team held their grounds against the Super eagles in the semi final match in 2002 afcon and defeated Nigeria but lost to Cameroun in the final via penalty kicks.

That squad was captained by Aliou Cisse and they had a robust style of play with so much flair and precision.A team that was simply unlucky not to win a trophy in their generation.An outstanding performance was given by that team at Korea Japan 2002.Papa Bouba Diop was a beast,Khalilou Fadiga was a delight to watch in midfield and Henri Camara dribbled opposition players with ease while El-Hadji Diof was that aggressive attacker that made life difficult for defenders. Salif Diao and Aliou Cisse anchored the midfield while Ferdinand Coly was a no nonsense defender who gave cover to Toni Sylva supported by Lamine Diatta.

The Senegalese team of 2006-2015 declined in their performance and Aliou Cisse appointed in 2015 rebuilt the squad over the years.

The new generation Senegalese team led by Koulibaly, Mane ,Kouyate,Sarr and Mendy are a delight to watch and very good squad.The best team in Africa and they justified their rating over the years by lifting the afcon cup for the first time for Senegal.

I doff my hat for this present generation of Senegalese team but the golden generation of the Teranga lions of Senegal was the squad captained by Aliou Cisse in 2000 and 2002.

This present Senegalese team can never be compared with the 2002 squad.

Neither can the Ivory Coast team of 2015 led by Yaya Toure or this present team captained by Sergei Aurier be compared with the squad led by Abdoulaye Traore,Joel Tiehi,Youssouf Fofana,Moussa Traore,Oumar Ben Salah and Alain Gouamene at Senegal 92 and the 94 squad at afcon held in Tunisia.

The first afcon match I watched was the final match btw Nigeria and Cameroun at Maroc 88 and we had a strong team that lost controversially to Cameroun from penalty kick taken by Roger Milla.Henry Nwosu scored a wonderful header from a corner kick that was ruled out and he was a part of the golden generation that won 1980 afcon.

I never watched 1980 afcon live cos I was very young then but the internet helped over the years and I watched most of the games played by the stars of that generation and the final match against Algeria.

In my opinion the 1980 squad of our national team was the best followed by the 1994 squad.

5 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Carlyboi(m): 1:01pm On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

U were 10 yrs old ...u knew nothing about football.... I was in university then ....go back and ask that ur uncle this same question...he will laugh at u

This is the real Senegalese golden generation.... man to man , this Senegalese team will wipe 2002

Its like u don't know how deadly mane is ...do u know ishmaila sarr is Watford deadliest player and man u will b coming for him in the summer.... they have the best goal keeper In world football presently...no African keeper has ever been nominated, talkless of winning it... coulibaly is amongst the best defenders in world football and is valued at about 100m Euros ... chlesea are going for him once Rudiger leaves... Gana and Diallo are psg players ...onfact 3 different players have won champions league in this team ...

My uncle?It seems you’re confused here cos you quoted the wrong person I never mentioned any uncle here and “ Mr I was in the university “ you can’t tell me nothing about football pass down your generational knowledge to the novice or the starters not me,see,as at when I was 10 I was respected so was my views,knowledge and opinion on anything football,I was a mini-football encyclopedia and FYI Korea and Japan 2002 wasn’t my first fifa World Cup Just so you know.

And Mr for all your I know so much about football it’s hugely disappointing that Mane and Mendy playing Liverpool and Chelsea respectively and a possible move to a big club for Ismaila Sarr,and whatnot are your metrics for proclaiming this 2022 team to be better!

As at 2002 can you name just 100 African players playing in the top 5 leagues and Top 4-5 teams across Europe as at that time?was it not in the 90s that a lot of African players started getting their big breaks in Europe and few started finding their way into top clubs in the late 90s and early 2000s...despite all these factors and limitations didn’t salif Diao and Diouf later play for liverpool after shining at the World Cup?Tony Silva was playing at lens who were competing regularly at the UCL then and khalilou fadiga also signed for inter Milan so on what basis is the 2022 team better dude?

I think Your football knowledge is limited and maybe it’s your memory been fuzzy now!

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by xeju: 1:33pm On Feb 07, 2022
ThierryJay:
2000 - 2002 team edges it for me.

They faced stronger sides then and triumphed. The Cameroon of Mboma and Etoo that they faced and lost to via penalties in 2002 final is much stronger than Egypt of this Afcon.

The team also beat a French team in their prime at the world cup and went on to reach the quarter finals which I believe supersedes their current nations cup trophy win.
The France they beat didn't make it out of the 2002 world cup group stage. Even though I've more love for the 2002 squad, this present squad is the golden generation because they've actually won a cup made of gold���
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by gsegun43: 1:41pm On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

I watched Senegal grow ... especially when they surprised Nigeria in lagos 2000 in the quarters tanks to Aghawonder and Amunike that came in and scored the winner....after 2002 they went into obscurity... they only shined for 3 yrs and they gased out without winning anything

Then you should understand my point.

And it was aghaowa that scored our 2 goals that day, they were leading from the first half and aghaowa entered and scored in the 8smth minute to take the match to xtra time before scoring again in the xtra time to win the match. The match was very hot that evening.

grin
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 1:48pm On Feb 07, 2022
Carlyboi:

My uncle?It seems you’re confused here cos you quoted the wrong person I never mentioned any uncle here and “ Mr I was in the university “ you can’t tell me nothing about football pass down your generational knowledge to the novice or the starters not me,see,as at when I was 10 I was respected so was my views,knowledge and opinion on anything football,I was a mini-football encyclopedia and FYI Korea and Japan 2002 wasn’t my first fifa World Cup Just so you know.

And Mr for all your I know so much about football it’s hugely disappointing that Mane and Chelsea playing Liverpool and Chelsea respectively and a possible move to a big club for Ismaila Sarr,and whatnot are your metrics for proclaiming this 2022 team to be better!

As at 2002 can you name just 100 African players playing in the top 5 leagues and Top 4-5 teams across Europe as at that time?was not in the 90s that a lot of African players started getting their big breaks in Europe and few started finding their way into top clubs in the late 90s and early 2000s...despite all these factors and chalked didn’t salif Diao and Diouf later play for liverpool after shining at the World Cup?Tony Silva was playing at lens who were competing regularly at the UCL then and khalilou fadiga also signed for inter Milan so on what basis is the 2022 team better dude?

I think Your football knowledge is limited and maybe it’s your memory been fuzzy now!

All u posted is pure crap... those players played for mid class Liverpool, inter Milan was also average... we are talking Chelsea psg bayern Munich Liverpool...even keita that plays for sevilla dint even have a chance , this same keita also played for inter ... African football has really improved compared to the 90s and 2000s ... all those Senegalese players in 2002 ,none could even make top 20 players in their leagues , and were never the best in their teams ... apart from Diouf, Henri camara and maybe fadigha , the rest were just there... the late Diop that scored France was not even upto average
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 1:50pm On Feb 07, 2022
gsegun43:

Then you should understand my point.

And it was aghaowa that scored our 2 goals that day, they were leading from the first half and aghaowa entered and scored in the 8smth minute to take the match to xtra time before scoring again in the xtra time to win the match. The match was very hot that evening.

grin

I know amuneke came in the game as well and changed the game... are u sure amuneke dint score??
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Juventus4life: 2:03pm On Feb 07, 2022
Joezinho:
Truth is, you can't compare both. The 2002 set were warriors. I still remember our games vs Senegal in 2000 and 2002. Those games were wars. They beat France and a very good Swedish team that had Henrik Larsson. They should have won the AFCON in 2002 if not for PK and luck saving Cameroon. They were far better than this present set.

You can say that again

Fadiga, Henri Camara, Ferdinand Coly, Aloiu Cisse, Habib Beye, Papa Diop, Salif Diao, El Hadji, Tony Sylva etc made up the 2002 squad..

This present set is kinda overrated bar Mane, Koulibaly, Mendy... What this Senegal team is missing is a Mikel or Fadiga type midfield controller. That's the missing piece.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by gsegun43: 2:06pm On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

I know amuneke came in the game as well and changed the game... are u sure amuneke dint score??

Aghahowa came in for Babangida shortly after Amunike entered for Ben akwegbu and he (Aghahowa) scored our 2 goals. Okocha got a red card in extra time. That match was hot mehn.

grin
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 2:09pm On Feb 07, 2022
gsegun43:

Aghahowa came in for Babangida shortly after Amunike entered for Ben akwegbu and he (Aghahowa) scored our 2 goals. Okocha got a red card in extra time. That match was hot mehn.

grin

Ok yh ...thats y okocha missed the semis and Wilson oruma came in and lost that crucial penalty that okocha wud hv played if he wasn't suspended... then its certain Amuneke crossed the ball the gave Aghahowa the winning goal cis I know Amuneke did something significant in that match
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by samtol4(m): 2:30pm On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:
This present team of course....tho 2002 were golden as well...but dunt hv the same luck as this present team
did you watch the 2002 team ?
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by wallarwallar(m): 2:56pm On Feb 07, 2022
chamboy:
The have more World Class Players now.

How old u be

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 3:18pm On Feb 07, 2022
samtol4:
did you watch the 2002 team ?

Certainly
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Slayar: 5:07pm On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

U were 10 yrs old ...u knew nothing about football.... I was in university then ....go back and ask that ur uncle this same question...he will laugh at u

This is the real Senegalese golden generation.... man to man , this Senegalese team will wipe 2002

Its like u don't know how deadly mane is ...do u know ishmaila sarr is Watford deadliest player and man u will b coming for him in the summer.... they have the best goal keeper In world football presently...no African keeper has ever been nominated, talkless of winning it... coulibaly is amongst the best defenders in world football and is valued at about 100m Euros ... chlesea are going for him once Rudiger leaves... Gana and Diallo are psg players ...onfact 3 different players have won champions league in this team ...

I'm surprised with what you typed even as you claim you watched 2002 Senegal team.

Let me explain what you don't know about football.Footballing scouts,scout players according to the country you're from. There's probably a footballer in Rwanda or Somalia better than Messi or Zidane,but because they are not a footballing nation ,no scout will spend resources to go to those countries EXCEPT God has a plan for that player and he or she gets mistakenly discovered.

My point is that ,you're mentioning where Mane and Mendy plays not knowing people like El hadji diouf paved the way for Mane.
2002 Senegal boys were so good you could see Nigerians wearing their jersey in Nigeria.

I used to play them on Ps2 against my friends, they would choose Brazil, Germany, France ,Netherlands .

I knew the whole starting eleven plus bench by heart

Those Senegal boiz were hungry and played with cohesiveness. They could beat any team in the world on their day. For you to know what I'm talking about,when they got to Korea/Japan Khaliou Fadiga stole a watch in a store,it was on the news but one way or another it died down. That is just to show you how local those boys were. They paved way for all these Mane's you're seeing today.

Do you want to hear the truth? Take out Mendy,Mane and Koulibaly from that team and they are ordinary. Add Mendy to Nigeria 's Afcon team and you would see someone else typing that this team is our golden generation.

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Pojaay(m): 5:07pm On Feb 07, 2022
How fairly do you want us to answer this question?? When most active fans now didn’t witness 2002 play because we were younger then
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by robosky02(m): 5:20pm On Feb 07, 2022
sniper77:
I have been priviledged to watch 4 different Senegalese national team in 30years.

The Senegalese team captained by the late Jules Bocande at Senegal 92 was a formidable squad and the super eagles of Nigeria defeated that team in the first game of afcon hosted by Senegal.It wasn't an easy game and the late Stephen Keshi scored the winning goal in that match which ended 2-1 in favour of Nigeria.

A new generation emerged in 2000 and Nigeria laboured hard to edge them out in a quarter final game after conceeding a goal scored by Henri Camara.Julius Aghahowa came from the bench to give Nigeria victory.

The Senegalese team held their grounds against the Super eagles in the semi final match in 2002 afcon and defeated Nigeria but lost to Cameroun in the final via penalty kicks.

That squad was captained by Aliou Cisse and they had a robust style of play with so much flair and precision.A team that was simply unlucky not to win a trophy in their generation.An outstanding performance was given by that team at Korea Japan 2002.Papa Bouba Diop was a beast,Khalilou Fadiga was a delight to watch in midfield and Henri Camara dribbled opposition players with ease while El-Hadji Diof was that aggressive attacker that made life difficult for defenders. Salif Diao and Aliou Cisse anchored the midfield while Ferdinand Coly was a no nonsense defender who gave cover to Toni Sylva supported by Lamine Diatta.

The Senegalese team of 2006-2015 declined in their performance and Aliou Cisse appointed in 2015 rebuilt the squad over the years.

The new generation Senegalese team led by Koulibaly, Mane ,Kouyate,Sarr and Mendy are a delight to watch and very good squad.The best team in Africa and they justified their rating over the years by lifting the afcon cup for the first time for Senegal.

I doff my hat for this present generation of Senegalese team but the golden generation of the Teranga lions of Senegal was the squad captained by Aliou Cisse in 2000 and 2002.

This present Senegalese team can never be compared with the 2002 squad.

Neither can the Ivory Coast team of 2015 led by Yaya Toure or this present team captained by Sergei Aurier be compared with the squad led by Abdoulaye Traore,Joel Tiehi,Youssouf Fofana,Moussa Traore,Oumar Ben Salah and Alain Gouamene at Senegal 92 and the 94 squad at afcon held in Tunisia.

The first afcon match I watched was the final match btw Nigeria and Cameroun at Maroc 88 and we had a strong team that lost controversially to Cameroun from penalty kick taken by Roger Milla.Henry Nwosu scored a wonderful header from a corner kick that was ruled out and he was a part of the golden generation that won 1980 afcon.

I never watched 1980 afcon live cos I was very young then but the internet helped over the years and I watched most of the games played by the stars of that generation and the final match against Algeria.

In my opinion the 1980 squad of our national team was the best followed by the 1994 squad.

Your head dey there

Its only the indomie generation that will say 2021 team

See that 2000 to 2002 plus generation layed the foundation of Senegalese football

The likes of Kalilau Fadigha

El haji Douf

Henry camar ..arguably the greatest Senegalese player

Even the current coach Cisse

Papa diop

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingosytex(m): 5:37pm On Feb 07, 2022
Joezinho:
Truth is, you can't compare both. The 2002 set were warriors. I still remember our games vs Senegal in 2000 and 2002. Those games were wars. They beat France and a very good Swedish team that had Henrik Larsson. They should have won the AFCON in 2002 if not for PK and luck saving Cameroon. They were far better than this present set.

We're they given any trophy for beating France?

Fadiga, Henri Camara, Ferdinand Coly, Aloiu Cisse, Habib Beye, Papa Diop, Salif Diao, El Hadji, Tony Sylva etc made up the 2002 squad..

This present set is kinda overrated bar Mane, Koulibaly, Mendy... What this Senegal team is missing is a Mikel or Fadiga type midfield controller. That's the missing piece.

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Afonasa(m): 5:56pm On Feb 07, 2022
Seeing they are winning it for the first time say a lot about how unlucky they have been.....

Congrats to them

Freelancing gets better with good gigs and great reviews,And if not you ain't doing it right,and that's where I come in to help u get it right even as a newbie. Check my signature for more info
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by yomi531(m): 7:35pm On Feb 07, 2022
Slayar:
Anyone who says this team is better than 2002 team is probably under 20yrs old.
I prefer the 2002 Squad. Oboy those guys were something else. I remember the quarter finals vs Nigeria in 2000. It was aghahowa that saved us that day. 2 late goals with his trademark back flips to celebrate. We met again in 2002. They scored first. Aghahowa still equalized. I think they scored another goal or so. Few minutes to the end of the match, we won a penalty. Okocha had already been substituted. All the players were afraid of stepping forward. Oruma stepped up las las but, the worst happened. He sent the keeper the other way but the ball hit the post. Oboy no be today football don dey give us heart breaks oo. I couldn't eat for dayss

2 Likes

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by checkoutEnugu: 8:13pm On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

Then y dint they win a cup?? This team have proved they are better... they will also tell u that Brazil 82 squad was the best assembled squad in Brazil history but the 1970 squad was labelled the best cos it was effective

Just pray that they even qualify for world cup against Egypt. Just pray. Then I will see that greatness doesnt come in winning cup but in defining moments.
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by gentlegiant95: 8:22pm On Feb 07, 2022
Some bad takes here. First of all, a country can have different golden generations. Winning silverware or trophies is not what crowns you that title of "Golden generation". So, both teams are a golden generation as far as Senegalese football is concerned. To add to that I think there was another group of players that were considered a golden generation for them , going into Afcon 2012 but they flattered to deceive. They had the likes of mamadou niang, moussa sow, demba ba, Papiss cisse, souleymane diawara, diafra sakho, mame biram diouf, Diame etc
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 9:06pm On Feb 07, 2022
checkoutEnugu:

Just pray that they even qualify for world cup against Egypt. Just pray. Then I will see that greatness doesnt come in winning cup but in defining moments.

Egypt will not make world cup...Senegal will knock them out .... Egypt barely survived 90mins ...cant u see they sat back all thru the game
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by checkoutEnugu: 9:20pm On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

Egypt will not make world cup...Senegal will knock them out .... Egypt barely survived 90mins ...cant u see they sat back all thru the game

If Senegal doesnt qualify then, they will be a laughing stock. I think Egypt will get the job done. It's the only way to appease their fans. Senegal need to watch out but they are carried away by this win. They wont be at world cup
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 9:22pm On Feb 07, 2022
checkoutEnugu:

If Senegal doesnt qualify then, they will be a laughing stock. I think Egypt will get the job done. It's the only way to appease their fans. Senegal need to watch out but they are carried away by this win. They wont be at world cup

Appease which fans ?? Person wey better pass u , better pass u ... Senegal is better than Egypt and that's y they are ranked 1 in Africa... or dint u watch the game last night... they outplayed Egypt
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by checkoutEnugu: 10:08pm On Feb 07, 2022
Kingcalls:

Appease which fans ?? Person wey better pass u , better pass u ... Senegal is better than Egypt and that's y they are ranked 1 in Africa... or dint u watch the game last night... they outplayed Egypt

And couldn't score a goal. A single goal. U need to watch 2002 set

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by Kingcalls: 10:51pm On Feb 07, 2022
checkoutEnugu:

And couldn't score a goal. A single goal. U need to watch 2002 set

The ones they scored in 2002, 2hat did it win them??
Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by checkoutEnugu: 7:10am On Feb 08, 2022
Kingcalls:

The ones they scored in 2002, 2hat did it win them??

Guy u r childish.. I now see u are actually below 20 yrs

1 Like

Re: Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? by aswani(m): 7:06am On Feb 10, 2022
Gbenga Okunowo played for Barcelona, he must have been better than Stephen Keshi who "only" played in Belgium.

Jordan Ibe played for Liverpool, he must have been better than Segun Odegbami.

This 2022 Senegal team met their first former AFCON champion in the final while Egypt played 4 so they didn't exactly have a tough draw.

That 2002 Senegal team were one of the very few only African teams confident enough to go toe to toe with anyone they faced in the World Cup.

The last time this Senegal team played in the world cup, they stunk the joint out.

Only Mane and Mendy, from this group, will make a joint team of players between 2002 and 2022 in my opinion.

Denmark won the Euros in 94 or something, I was fortunate enough to meet some Danish football fans as part of work a few years ago and to a man, they said that the team that won the Euros were nowhere as good as their 86 team that didn't even get to a World Cup quarter final.

Those Danish guys also enjoyed recollecting the 4 - 1 trashing they handed to us. Apparently, they were aware that we, as a nation, were already thinking of playing Brazil.

To sum up, Senegal 2002 much greater team than Senegal 2022, in my humble opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Goal Of The Tournament: Vote For Asisat Oshoala / Ighalo Wins West Asia Player Of The Month Award / Missing Funds: Nigeria Escapes IAAF Ban As Dalung Makes U-turn - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.