Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? (556 Views)

Did You Think A Youth Between Age 35 And 40 Can Become President Of Nigeria? / Ope Sowore To Buhari: 'My Children And I Want My Husband Back Home' / Olufemi Michael Abikoye To Nigerians In Ghana: 'Go Back Home' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by Royma70: 10:55am On Feb 08, 2022
Well, what started as a very fruitful and ambitious life took a drastic turn just at the middle age.. I am going to make it as brief as possible while putting myself in first person.

Chapter 1(The good life)

It was like a film when I landed my first job at 21, the struggle was enormous but I was one with courage and felt i could surpass anything that crossed my path, I was energetic and strong willed to the extent I got a car at 23 and moved out of my family home in a very highbrow area in Lagos to a shared apartment in same highbrow area at the age of 25. Life was somewhat good with little to no responsibility to cater for. I had just one girlfriend at the time and it remained so till the later part of the story.

Chapter 2 (The turn)

Life was going great up until 2017 when the economy took a nosedive with companies and organizations folding up like pack of cards. My company struggled to keep pushing with salaries slashed to quarters and some months working totally unpaid. The struggle and enthusiasm was good but the drive was waning at a very high rate. At a point the centre could no longer hold and one had to throw in the resignation letter at the age of 30 when it was vividly clear that the employee was feeding the employer rather than vice-versa. undecided

Chapter 3 (The letter)

At 30, above employment age while not really kin to take another one immediately having changed over 6 jobs in 10 years span. Some folding up while the others going moribund. The drive to be an entrepreneur was rife and kicking like a pregnant lady in labour. I put the last fullstop on my resignation letter wishing the company well and good luck in their future endeavours. A statement I was used to in my early years of life on the other side. wink

Chapter 4 (Trials and tribulation)

With about 5m in savings, a furnished apartment, a car and a fiancee I ventured into the murky waters of entrepreneurship. I took up chandling (The supply of vessels with perishable and non perishable items), the business could not thrive beyond 6months because inflation was draining monies I could not bill on invoice as price templates are for a period of 1 year minimum alongside scramble for smaller contracts by the big wigs were rife due to a retracted economy. Threw in the towel with a depleted savings, assured my girlfriend I knew what I was doing while her support and belief kept me afloat.

Chapter 5 (The struggle)

Coming out of a business really threw me out while exposing my anxiety about what life had in stock for me. With a depleted 4m in hand, I ventured into logistics, purchased 4 fairly used corolla vehicles for taxi business and kicked off, felt like a real entrepreneur with daily cash flowing in, the initial repairs and downturns were shock absorbed because I had mechanical knowledge with plugs on best bargain while even growing the fleet to 6 cars (5used 1 toks), up untill the 2020 pandemic where all cars were parked and a through feasibility study was carried out alongside debts and loans. It was visible even to the blind that i was on a steady slope to abject poverty as the cars had not fetched enough to replace them, while they consumed more than they earned even while I drove one of them to cut down cost. Another failed dream cry . The country inflation increased, with trip fares pegged, while cost of parts and new vehicles doubled 100%, one had to sell his private car to offset incurred loans and debts. I came out poorer than I went in.

Chapter 6 (What seemed like fresh air)

Forgot to add, I had gotten married during the last business, with the support of friends and family, a somewhat initial flourishing business, a supporting wife having dated for 6years, it felt like the right thing to do, i walked that aisle despite having a wedding very very far from the dreams of what my wedding would look like. I dusted my CV which ironically had cobwebs all over shoved in a forgotten part of the drawer. Now with a family, a depleted capital of 3m having paid rent and never ending overhead expenses, I was left in the lurch of uncertainty, HBP, anxiety, lack of sleep, depression. I picked my self up, the interviews never came while I ventured into importation with my 3 million cash, no babies yet (atleast I should not be that stupid).. spoke with a couple of friends on advice and did my first import. I was so happy with smirks of joy and gratitude to God on a successful venture up until the ever increasing forex exchange, poverty and the 8% US inflation rendered me back to square one. My projected profit was eroded even before the car touched Nigeria as the new exchange rate could not afford you take even a kobo out of it, most cases, had to borrow to even stay in business alongside an endless wait to make a sale due to low buying power. With that being my only source of income, the misses was on the verge of abandoning ship, marriage was in disarray.

Chapter 7 (Left she did)

In what seemed like a romeo and juliet undying love, with juliet in the balcony calling on romeo to take her hands, what was supposed to be a little time off actually involved moving trucks in the embarrassment of neighbours as a man that could not keep his home. The shame was terrible, even if no one could boldly speak up, the eyes and gossips gave way. Now at 35, a broken home, a failed business, an abandoned career, depleted capital.

Should he move back home in the highbrow of lekki to re-launch even if some may say its neccessary so as to get a fresh start, it might give room to nay sayers. Or get a smaller apartment that really cuts deep into his dry pocket just to save face?..

Cc: lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by MITCHELL96: 10:59am On Feb 08, 2022
Oh mannnn! cry
Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by dawnomike(m): 11:06am On Feb 08, 2022
Royma70:
Well, what started as a very fruitful and ambitious life took a drastic turn just at the middle age.. I am going to make it as brief as possible while putting myself in first person.

Chapter 1(The good life)

It was like a film when I landed my first job at 21, the struggle was enormous but I was one with courage and felt i could surpass anything that crossed my path, I was energetic and strong willed to the extent I got a car at 23 and moved out of my family home in a very highbrow area in Lagos to a shared apartment in same highbrow area at the age of 25. Life was somewhat good with little to no responsibility to cater for. I had just one girlfriend at the time and it remained so till the later part of the story.

Chapter 2 (The turn)

Life was going great up until 2017 when the economy took a nosedive with companies and organizations folding up like pack of cards. My company struggled to keep pushing with salaries slashed to quarters and some months working totally unpaid. The struggle and enthusiasm was good but the drive was waning at a very high rate. At a point the centre could no longer hold and one had to throw in the resignation letter at the age of 30 when it was vividly clear that the employee was feeding the employer rather than vice-versa. undecided

Chapter 3 (The letter)

At 30, above employment age while not really kin to take another one immediately having changed over 6 jobs in 10 years span. Some folding up while the others going moribund. The drive to be an entrepreneur was rife and kicking like a pregnant lady in labour. I put the last fullstop on my resignation letter wishing the company well and good luck in their future endeavours. A statement I was used to in my early years of life on the other side. wink

Chapter 4 (Trials and tribulation)

With about 5m in savings, a furnished apartment, a car and a fiancee I ventured into the murky waters of entrepreneurship. I took up chandling (The supply of vessels with perishable and non perishable items), the business could not thrive beyond 6months because inflation was draining monies I could not bill on invoice as price templates are for a period of 1 year minimum alongside scramble for smaller contracts by the big wigs were rife due to a retracted economy. Threw in the towel with a depleted savings, assured my girlfriend I knew what I was doing while her support and belief kept me afloat.

Chapter 5 (The struggle)

Coming out of a business really threw me out while exposing my anxiety about what life had in stock for me. With a depleted 4m in hand, I ventured into logistics, purchased 4 fairly used corolla vehicles for taxi business and kicked off, felt like a real entrepreneur with daily cash flowing in, the initial repairs and downturns were shock absorbed because I had mechanical knowledge with plugs on best bargain while even growing the fleet to 6 cars (5used 1 toks), up untill the 2020 pandemic where all cars were parked and a through feasibility study was carried out alongside debts and loans. It was visible even to the blind that i was on a steady slope to abject poverty as the cars had not fetched enough to replace them, while they consumed more than they earned even while I drove one of them to cut down cost. Another failed dream cry . The country inflation increased, with trip fares pegged, while cost of parts and new vehicles doubled 100%, one had to sell his private car to offset incurred loans and debts. I came out poorer than I went in.

Chapter 6 (What seemed like fresh air)

Forgot to add, I had gotten married during the last business, with the support of friends and family, a somewhat initial flourishing business, a supporting wife having dated for 6years, it felt like the right thing to do, i walked that aisle despite having a wedding very very far from the dreams of what my wedding would look like. I dusted my CV which ironically had cobwebs all over shoved in a forgotten part of the drawer. Now with a family, a depleted capital of 3m having paid rent and never ending overhead expenses, I was left in the lurch of uncertainty, HBP, anxiety, lack of sleep, depression. I picked my self up, the interviews never came while I ventured into importation with my 3 million cash, no babies yet (atleast I should not be that stupid).. spoke with a couple of friends on advice and did my first import. I was so happy with smirks of joy and gratitude to God on a successful venture up until the ever increasing forex exchange, poverty and the 8% US inflation rendered me back to square one. My projected profit was eroded even before the car touched Nigeria as the new exchange rate could not afford you take even a kobo out of it, most cases, had to borrow to even stay in business alongside an endless wait to make a sale due to low buying power. With that being my only source of income, the misses was on the verge of abandoning ship, marriage was in disarray.

Chapter 7 (Left she did)

In what seemed like a romeo and juliet undying love, with juliet in the balcony calling on romeo to take her hands, what was supposed to be a little time off actually involved moving trucks in the embarrassment of neighbours as a man that could not keep his home. The shame was terrible, even if no one could boldly speak up, the eyes and gossips gave way. Now at 35, a broken home, a failed business, an abandoned career, depleted capital.

Should he move back home in the highbrow of lekki to re-launch even if some may say its neccessary so as to get a fresh start, it might give room to nay sayers. Or get a smaller apartment that really cuts deep into his dry pocket just to save face?..

Cc: lalasticlala
Move back home and start again... Do not consider what naysayers will say. It is your life and you have to make it better.
I have once been there.... Leaving home at 19, high flying in business but coming back to stay with in my parents house years later cos if financial crises.
Now, I am out again, back on my feet and doing what I do best.

4 Likes

Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by EKONGKING: 11:10am On Feb 08, 2022
Ok
Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by Nobody: 11:21am On Feb 08, 2022
Moving home after 10years of independence is definitely heartbreaking.

One thing you can't take away from the read is a hustling spirit..

2 Likes

Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by Harrykn: 11:25am On Feb 08, 2022
This one is truly for the elders. Respect to your hustle and struggle

2 Likes

Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by HRSweetness(f): 11:30am On Feb 08, 2022
Royma70, if you have supportive family, no shame in turning to them for support in trying times.

My only concern though, is you actually figuring out what you're not doing right. Use this time to surrender completely to your maker and seek total restoration that only He gives.

2 Likes

Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by phorget(m): 11:39am On Feb 08, 2022
Move back home bro, the prodigal son made the best decision.
Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by Bounceboune7: 11:48am On Feb 08, 2022
Bros, I feel your pain cos I have been there b4.
See ehn if u care about what people will say then u ain't ready.

Go back home,take some time to reflect on your life, check yourself,b prayerful n restrategise on the best way to go about your life.

I won't lie to u depression will definitely set in cos u have been doing fine without looking up to anyone for financial help but now u have to rely on people

Turn a thick skin to whatever people have to say cos they must talk but make sure u focus on where u are going.

Since u are in Lagos n i believe u need to pick yourself up asap, it will b advisable to get business funds instead of feeding money, try get a small car n start bolt, if u are able to do this n save at least 5k per day for a year then u can make d next big move

2 Likes

Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by pacino26(m): 11:51am On Feb 08, 2022
Some day it will all fall in place.

For now head home to your parents, it is unfortunate or rather fortunate you have no dependants to take home. If your parents are financially capable try to tend only to your needs and not what you want. Develop a thick skin for some harsh words once in awhile from your parents. I think by now you must realized you have no friends left so make your social circle as small as well. The idleness will eat you from the inside but try helping out at home and get some new indoor hobbies.

I know how you feel and don't let anyone tell you that you failed! When you want to start over, venture into a daily earner business that will be able to get you the comfort you need to start big. For now leave your dreams and appreciate the little kindness and support you will get from family.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by cobby14(m): 12:48pm On Feb 08, 2022
Left home at 19 and I returned to my dad’s house at 26 after squandering all my net worth. I was broke and depressed so I had to move back in shame. I was lucky to have already built a building opposite my dad’s. I will be 28 this year and I must say I thank God I made the decision to move back cos I regained what ever I lost and more.
Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by relaxandsmile: 1:28pm On Feb 08, 2022
You have not done anything wrong. But Nigeria factor affected you. It is only by the Grace of God that a business survive in Nigeria.
Going home may also not be the best solution. What if you don't have parents to go back to?
Honestly,the hidden understanding that you have a place to fall back to might have affected you while planning.
Face it head on, you already have the experience, leverage on those experiences and see wonders.

2 Likes

Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by walemoney007(m): 1:28pm On Feb 08, 2022
The Federal Government under Buhari don ruin a lot of business with their policies.

You need to move back to your parents home and start all over again

Do not care about what anybody will say

Nah you know wetin you dey face

1 Like

Re: 35 And Moving Back Home For Another Headstart, How Wise? by pacino26(m): 1:45pm On Feb 08, 2022
relaxandsmile:
You have not done anything wrong. But Nigeria factor affected you. It is only by the Grace of God that a business survive in Nigeria.
Going home may also not be the best solution. What if you don't have parents to go back to?
Honestly,the hidden understanding that you have a place to fall back to might have affected you while planning.
Face it head on, you already have the experience, leverage on those experiences and see wonders.

Nice words there but in practice it is not possible from where he is now. We retreat to restrategize, persistence in futility is not a sign of strength or wit.

Our dear country don't have plans in place to rescue businesses and friends tend to have responsibilities of their own to handle. In peace he can pick up a thing or two and raise funds to start over.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Problem Of Northern Girls in "Arewa" / Soludo And State House Should Rename The Airport "Obiano International Airport " / Sen Ken Nnamani Steps Down For Hon Emma Eneukwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.