Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm (39400 Views)

My Friends Funny Interview Experience / 4 Things You Need To Work For A Foreign Firm Remotely From Nigeria / My Friend's Interview Experience With A Company In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Lamasta(m): 4:36pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145 your story is hilarious even the interviewer cannot hold the laughter and smiles grin
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by kaleidoscope: 4:36pm On Feb 10, 2022
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by MT: 4:37pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:
After sending loads of applications for remote web dev positions throughout December without success I stopped applying and went into blockchain development. Last week I was replying a message on my LinkedIn account when I saw this jnr WordPress developer vacancy that popped up. I just applied since it takes less than a minute to do so on LinkedIn.

I was surprised when they sent me a mail two days later with a link to an assessment which I took and submitted. They got back to me some days later to fix an interview date, I choose Feb 9 among the listed options. The time options included 7pm, 7:15pm and 7:30pm and I chose the 1st option. The interview was supposed to last for just 15 minutes.

I left Chelsea's match that I was watching at half time to prepare for my interview. I asked one of my Nairaland friends for data and he sent me 3gb, I was all set up by 6:44 pm with a Bluetooth that I borrowed from a friend for the occasion. I didn't want any stories. If only I knew what was lying in wait for me....6:52 pm.....Boom!!! NEPA took light.

My laptop was fully charged but knowing fully well that my battery was not trustworthy, it would last 2 hours when it's in a good mood and 5 minutes on it's angry days. I grabbed my charger and extension and ran off to a nearby restaurant in my area. You think Usian Bolt can run baa? If you see my speed this evening you will like me. It was a combination of Bolt and Ben Johnson. I ran like a criminal that was escaping an angry mob about to lynch him, with the way I was grabbing my PC under my armpit I could easily be mistaken for a thief by the way.

I got there by 6:59 pm, plugged my stuffs and connected to the zoom call by 7: 02 pm, the beautiful oyinbo woman was already waiting. While she was in a well lit apartment, I was in a place with red and blue bulbs with my face barely visible even though I supported the light with my phone torch light flashing straight to my face.

She smiled immediately I came online, and murmured something, omo the Bluetooth was not connected o. Something I tested before connecting to the call, I was fumbling with my Bluetooth settings while she kept talking and gesticulating if I could hear her. The Bluetooth was connected to the system but was somehow not working, she saved me from my misery when she suggested we port to google meet for the interview.

I used the opportunity to check my Bluetooth settings well and connected to the call through a link she sent to my mail almost immediately. In the middle of the interview the restaurant gen went off throwing everywhere into darkness.... Omo!!!

I had to keep shining teeth and stretching my small eyes to its elastic limit because they were the only visible things from my end. She burst into laughter and I couldn't help but join her. It was as if she was in heaven calling someone in hell. I apologized and she told me not to worry that she understands amidst another bout of laughter that she was struggling to contain.

She shaa finished the interview with the normal I will get back to you after accessing the performance of other candidates, I still apologized for my interview settings hoping it won't affect my chances, she assured me that it won't have any bearing on her decision making as regards to selection of the successful candidate. She couldn't stop smiling throughout the interview that lasted for like 20 mins.

I packed my kaya and went home. I laughed my heart out while I narrated everything to my friend who rolled on the floor with laughter. The image of my eyes and teeth in darkness was so hilarious. This was actually my first interview and it will definitely live long in my memory.

Have you experienced something similar?? Please share for the fun

What are you doing in IT environment. You should be authoring a book. What a write-up!

7 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Ladycewhy(f): 4:38pm On Feb 10, 2022
Lessons to learn;

For any online interview make sure you are already in the zoom meeting atleast 10 mins before the time. Which means you should log in earlier than 10mins to your interview so you can put things together.

check your connection ,data and microphone ,the more reason you should be in on time.

Always factor in means of power as a Nigerian,never put your trust in "NEPA" .

Make sure to have a source of light, if the interview time is not during the day, e.g multiple rechargeable lights .

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Collins4u1(m): 4:38pm On Feb 10, 2022
Reading and laughing
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by kaleidoscope: 4:39pm On Feb 10, 2022
I had fun reading your story. Thanks for sharing. You made me laugh and feel sad at thesame time. To think what a country can do to its young, energetic and passionate youths.
Kindly let me know the outcome of the interview when you get a feedback from them. However it turns out, I'd like to pick your lunch bill wherever you choose, and your Internet data for the month.
**Don't forget **

Supreme145:
After sending loads of applications for remote web dev positions throughout December without success I stopped applying and went into blockchain development. Last week I was replying a message on my LinkedIn account when I saw this jnr WordPress developer vacancy that popped up. I just applied since it takes less than a minute to do so on LinkedIn.

I was surprised when they sent me a mail two days later with a link to an assessment which I took and submitted. They got back to me some days later to fix an interview date, I choose Feb 9 among the listed options. The time options included 7pm, 7:15pm and 7:30pm and I chose the 1st option. The interview was supposed to last for just 15 minutes.

I left Chelsea's match that I was watching at half time to prepare for my interview. I asked one of my Nairaland friends for data and he sent me 3gb, I was all set up by 6:44 pm with a Bluetooth that I borrowed from a friend for the occasion. I didn't want any stories. If only I knew what was lying in wait for me....6:52 pm.....Boom!!! NEPA took light.

My laptop was fully charged but knowing fully well that my battery was not trustworthy, it would last 2 hours when it's in a good mood and 5 minutes on it's angry days. I grabbed my charger and extension and ran off to a nearby restaurant in my area. You think Usian Bolt can run baa? If you see my speed this evening you will like me. It was a combination of Bolt and Ben Johnson. I ran like a criminal that was escaping an angry mob about to lynch him, with the way I was grabbing my PC under my armpit I could easily be mistaken for a thief by the way.

I got there by 6:59 pm, plugged my stuffs and connected to the zoom call by 7: 02 pm, the beautiful oyinbo woman was already waiting. While she was in a well lit apartment, I was in a place with red and blue bulbs with my face barely visible even though I supported the light with my phone torch light flashing straight to my face.

She smiled immediately I came online, and murmured something, omo the Bluetooth was not connected o. Something I tested before connecting to the call, I was fumbling with my Bluetooth settings while she kept talking and gesticulating if I could hear her. The Bluetooth was connected to the system but was somehow not working, she saved me from my misery when she suggested we port to google meet for the interview.

I used the opportunity to check my Bluetooth settings well and connected to the call through a link she sent to my mail almost immediately. In the middle of the interview the restaurant gen went off throwing everywhere into darkness.... Omo!!!

I had to keep shining teeth and stretching my small eyes to its elastic limit because they were the only visible things from my end. She burst into laughter and I couldn't help but join her. It was as if she was in heaven calling someone in hell. I apologized and she told me not to worry that she understands amidst another bout of laughter that she was struggling to contain.

She shaa finished the interview with the normal I will get back to you after accessing the performance of other candidates, I still apologized for my interview settings hoping it won't affect my chances, she assured me that it won't have any bearing on her decision making as regards to selection of the successful candidate. She couldn't stop smiling throughout the interview that lasted for like 20 mins.

I packed my kaya and went home. I laughed my heart out while I narrated everything to my friend who rolled on the floor with laughter. The image of my eyes and teeth in darkness was so hilarious. This was actually my first interview and it will definitely live long in my memory.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by JVector: 4:39pm On Feb 10, 2022
This is no way village people influence. It is just the situation this country has pushed talent into.
Don't worry GOD go soon pick your call.

3 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by 3Dimension: 4:41pm On Feb 10, 2022
I hope you scale through,

As someone who has been. working remotely for 7 years and having been part of countless interviews for others, I can tell you that it can affect decision making but it might not be written in her report.
Reason is that Remote working is all about accessibility, they want someone they can reach out to at any time of the day and would be responsive, that's the way to build trust. However, it is not the ultimate criteria nor a deal breaker, it's just a subtle concern, if your technical abilities are impressive, that problem is quite solvable when you get the job.
I wish you a successful response.
by the way are you what languages do you write?

5 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by BBBmall25: 4:41pm On Feb 10, 2022
Guy u funny dye, may God grant u ur heart desire_ amen!

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by fastseo: 4:42pm On Feb 10, 2022
Opp get a solar battery the 100ah. For your laptop and phone and even Chinese bulb.

Since i got mine since 2019 it hasn't disappoint me till date.
Once there is light i charge it, or use generator big one to charge it since i don't have the panel now.

If fully charged (8hours), it carries me a week plus or two weeks without light.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by nizelgirl(f): 4:43pm On Feb 10, 2022
I enjoyed your story and your a good writer. I pray you get the job. Naija can frustrate people for no reason.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Bakare19: 4:43pm On Feb 10, 2022
You narrated the experience so well, and funny while at it.

I wish you the very best.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by mfm04622: 4:45pm On Feb 10, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
You applied for a few jobs and stopped. You never ready. You should be applying to jobs everyday like a job now and never take interviews to heart. The frustrations you got is just the beginning. You havent lost a job cause the company cant figure out how to pay you or shit internet or electricity. Theres no programmer working remotely who doesnt hate Nigeria with all the passion inside them.

LoL!!!!
Level up!!!
Many people are doing remote work without bitterness.

3 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by rita25(f): 4:45pm On Feb 10, 2022
my prayers are with you i truelly pray you get the job.

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by bigcee(m): 4:46pm On Feb 10, 2022
SailorUgo:
Me that went for one interview with one Chinese restaurant on the island few years ago, the manager no dey available. I waited from 10am wey the interview was slated for till 5pm, still no sign of the manager.

I just beg them make Dem give me some of their staff food as hunger wan wound me.

Dem give me draw soup and 2 fufu, I go outside buy extra 3 fufu cheesy

I was sweating on the food when the Chinese manager walked in... Me I just bone cool , me wen don make up my mind say even if I no get the job, the quality of that draw soup don make my day grin

Las las I got the job to work in one of their lekki outlet.

But Nigeria go embarrass you on a norm embarassed
I swear, this is so funny grin

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Focusmind: 4:48pm On Feb 10, 2022
Imagine if the recruiter was a Nigerian HR!!!

I am sorry to say this but Nigerian HR are the worst. They hardly offer empathy or see job seekers as important. If it was a Nigerian interviewing you, he would even lash at you for not being prepared. Trust me, the woman was open and would not take all the glitches into consideration in making her decision.

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by HIbreed(m): 4:48pm On Feb 10, 2022
If I say it now, they will call call it inferiority complex but you see these oyibo people, dem senior us well well in everything.

Look at how calm and understable the interviewer was throughout the ordeal, even laugh join.

If it's an african lady do you think she would tolerate the guy. Oyibo dna was well developed mpre than ours!!

12 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by EduTechTainMent: 4:48pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

Wish you the best. You can save up to get Mobile Power Solution (MPS). It's quite affordable, durable and the best companion for any Dev. Makes working remotely seamless by helping to eliminate one of the major constraints - the power supply ish.

www.cooldipo.com

https://www.nairaland.com/fapemz/posts
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Bobloco: 4:49pm On Feb 10, 2022
grin
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by MMempire(m): 4:50pm On Feb 10, 2022
I swear, this thread go long.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

This was hilarious!!!

But just be hopeful, remote work is all about accessibility to a Laptop, data and constant power supply. These three are very important even for an on-site job, not to talk of remote.

I wish you the best

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Raysleek: 4:52pm On Feb 10, 2022
500 naira petrol and tiger generator would have saved you from all these hypertension

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 4:54pm On Feb 10, 2022
3Dimension:
I hope you scale through,

As someone who has been. working remotely for 7 years and having been part of countless interviews for others, I can tell you that it can affect decision making but it might not be written in her report.
Reason is that Remote working is all about accessibility, they want someone they can reach out to at any time of the day and would be responsive, that's the way to build trust. However, it is not the ultimate criteria nor a deal breaker, it's just a subtle concern, if your technical abilities are impressive, that problem is quite solvable when you get the job.
I wish you a successful response.
by the way are you what languages do you write?
Just a frontend web developer, majoring on JavaScript and some of its frameworks like React and jquery. And little of WordPress too.

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 4:56pm On Feb 10, 2022
kaleidoscope:
I had fun reading your story. Thanks for sharing. You made me laugh and feel sad at thesame time. To think what a country can do to its young, energetic and passionate youths.
Kindly let me know the outcome of the interview when you get a feedback from them. However it turns out, I'd like to pick your lunch bill wherever you choose, and your Internet data for the month.
**Don't forget **

Okay boss I will sure update everyone
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by wonder233: 4:58pm On Feb 10, 2022
I read it
iTearHerToto:
Who else didn't read the whole newspaper
Gather here
[img]https:///view/momo-mtg-gif-21487569.gif[/img]

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Nobody: 4:59pm On Feb 10, 2022
Something like power that was invented sooo many years ago. We are still battling it.

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by inspiredbelieve: 4:59pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

"It was as if she was in heaven calling someone in hell."...���������������������������������������. This has to be the funniest thing you wrote...lol

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 10, 2022
omo, you met a goddess as interviewer, pls do mention me once u get d outcome.

and again pls pls and pls once u land this gig or any with a better pay, leave Nigeria asap to a better country with stable electricity and internet connection, some employee don't employ Nigerians due to broadband speed and our lack of electricity.

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by justmondris: 5:04pm On Feb 10, 2022
Lololololo. This reminded me of what happened during my final interview as a software engineer with a foreign company that have a branch in Nigeria. I had like 30% battery left on my phone and I thought my laptop battery was full so that I can plug my phone to it during the interview. Like 10mins to the interview, I decided to plug my phone to my laptop and join the meeting . Guess what? My laptop battery was done and my phone battery was racing to zero percent.

To cut the long story short, the interview started and I was answering their questions at the speed of light while looking at the way my phone battery was racing to zero percent. It was just too obvious that my phone will go off during the interview and there was no place to rush to and plug my phone because there was serious flood in my area during that period and there was no canoe to carry me to the other side of the street to look for a store and plug my phone. Expecting NEPA to suddenly restore power supply was out of the way because they have already removed fuse from our transformer for safety reason due to the flood.

Just like magic, when my phone was remaining 1% and the interview does not look like what is almost done, Jesus came to my rescue and the engineering manager that was interviewing me said I have answered all his questions and asked me if I have any question for him. I quickly said no because I knew my phone was about to go off.

Immediately the interview ended and I tapped on the end meeting button, my phone went off.
It was so obvious to me that happened was a miracle and few days latter, I got the job.

35 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market / How Much Salary Is Enough For Good Living In Nigeria / CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.