Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm (39386 Views)

My Friends Funny Interview Experience / 4 Things You Need To Work For A Foreign Firm Remotely From Nigeria / My Friend's Interview Experience With A Company In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by oghenewale: 6:01pm On Feb 10, 2022
Oga i couldn't help with the laughter. Best of luck.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Imustreturn(m): 6:02pm On Feb 10, 2022
My Belle oh grin grin Nigeria will frustrate you
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by SailorUgo(m): 6:08pm On Feb 10, 2022
femijay8271:

Boss... I also work in vi but am out of job right now, am a chef/Cook... Pls if there's any vacancy, abeg baba link me up

Okay boss... Will be on the lookout

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by femijay8271(m): 6:15pm On Feb 10, 2022
SailorUgo:

Okay boss... Will be on the lookout

I will really appreciate it boss because I was out hurting for job on Tuesday... My experience was just like ur own but I was told they will come me back... I Waka no b small, I still dey nurse the back of my legs since that Tuesday cry... Any vacancy will be much appreciated

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Emjace(m): 6:17pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:
After sending loads of applications for remote web dev positions throughout December without success I stopped applying and went into blockchain development. Last week I was replying a message on my LinkedIn account when I saw this jnr WordPress developer vacancy that popped up. I just applied since it takes less than a minute to do so on LinkedIn.

I was surprised when they sent me a mail two days later with a link to an assessment which I took and submitted. They got back to me some days later to fix an interview date, I choose Feb 9 among the listed options. The time options included 7pm, 7:15pm and 7:30pm and I chose the 1st option. The interview was supposed to last for just 15 minutes.

I left Chelsea's match that I was watching at half time to prepare for my interview. I asked one of my Nairaland friends for data and he sent me 3gb, I was all set up by 6:44 pm with a Bluetooth that I borrowed from a friend for the occasion. I didn't want any stories. If only I knew what was lying in wait for me....6:52 pm.....Boom!!! NEPA took light.

My laptop was fully charged but knowing fully well that my battery was not trustworthy, it would last 2 hours when it's in a good mood and 5 minutes on it's angry days. I grabbed my charger and extension and ran off to a nearby restaurant in my area. You think Usian Bolt can run baa? If you see my speed this evening you will like me. It was a combination of Bolt and Ben Johnson. I ran like a criminal that was escaping an angry mob about to lynch him, with the way I was grabbing my PC under my armpit I could easily be mistaken for a thief by the way.

I got there by 6:59 pm, plugged my stuffs and connected to the zoom call by 7: 02 pm, the beautiful oyinbo woman was already waiting. While she was in a well lit apartment, I was in a place with red and blue bulbs with my face barely visible even though I supported the light with my phone torch light flashing straight to my face.

She smiled immediately I came online, and murmured something, omo the Bluetooth was not connected o. Something I tested before connecting to the call, I was fumbling with my Bluetooth settings while she kept talking and gesticulating if I could hear her. The Bluetooth was connected to the system but was somehow not working, she saved me from my misery when she suggested we port to google meet for the interview.

I used the opportunity to check my Bluetooth settings well and connected to the call through a link she sent to my mail almost immediately. In the middle of the interview the restaurant gen went off throwing everywhere into darkness.... Omo!!!

I had to keep shining teeth and stretching my small eyes to its elastic limit because they were the only visible things from my end. She burst into laughter and I couldn't help but join her. It was as if she was in heaven calling someone in hell. I apologized and she told me not to worry that she understands amidst another bout of laughter that she was struggling to contain.

She shaa finished the interview with the normal I will get back to you after accessing the performance of other candidates, I still apologized for my interview settings hoping it won't affect my chances, she assured me that it won't have any bearing on her decision making as regards to selection of the successful candidate. She couldn't stop smiling throughout the interview that lasted for like 20 mins.

I packed my kaya and went home. I laughed my heart out while I narrated everything to my friend who rolled on the floor with laughter. The image of my eyes and teeth in darkness was so hilarious. This was actually my first interview and it will definitely live long in my memory.

Have you experienced something similar?? Please share for the fun
You're so funny... Infact your post has made my day.. I assure you that they will offer you the job. And she will like to hear from you again
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by KrustyKrab: 6:21pm On Feb 10, 2022
fastseo:
Opp get a solar battery the 100ah. For your laptop and phone and even Chinese bulb.

Since i got mine since 2019 it hasn't disappoint me till date.
Once there is light i charge it, or use generator big one to charge it since i don't have the panel now.

If fully charged (8hours), it carries me a week plus or two weeks without light.

Hey man, Greetings.

I'ld like to know how much you bought this solar battery and the place you bought it from.

I Love KrabbyPatty.. tongue
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by twosquare(m): 6:23pm On Feb 10, 2022
What is this? Kindly mention the brand and specs. Thanks
WIREMIND:
Very very funny adventure.

This could have saved you.
Lol
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Juoflife1(f): 6:24pm On Feb 10, 2022
This is hilarious
Goodluck bro
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by twosquare(m): 6:28pm On Feb 10, 2022
scave:
I did my first foreign interview two days ago via Skype, [b]when I connected my ear piece with the laptop the lady couldn't hear me while I was speaking then I had to disconnect from laptop use my phone, na me no com dey hear her [/b]and it was a video call which she was recording, a time came I had to put the phone to my ear ontop video call oh, I just pray I get the job.
This happens often when there is a difference between the devices used. If I'm using the mobile app and you are using the desktop app, things may go awry. It has happened to me before during a video interview. We just had to result to same device spec.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by WIREMIND: 6:30pm On Feb 10, 2022
dopedan:
What is this? And how much please?
it's a laptop powerbank
,You may reach wiremind on whatsapp 0810965552six

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by twosquare(m): 6:30pm On Feb 10, 2022
BluntTheApostle:
I remember my own first experience with a foreign firm on Zoom.

I had to study Brighter Grammar to sharpen my English. I did a lot more other things. I even did rehearsals, studied the job description, downloaded videos on YouTube.

On D Day when I found myself on the hot seat, I became a stammerer. Ordinary to say hello back to the interviewer, I was just stammering all over the place like a fool. I was like "em...you see...hope you get." The Oyinbo man was just looking at me as if I were an alien from Mars. Next thing, the blunders started flowing. These were blunders which under normal circumstances I would never make. Anyways, at a point, I was so helpless that I laughed. The Oyinbo's expression was like, "What the damn is funny, you fool!"

S[b]ince then, I have developed a phobia for interviews with foreign firms[/b].
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

Don't. They are humans like you. Be relaxed and flow gently. If you are too afraid, try and mimic how politicians speak.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by WIREMIND: 6:31pm On Feb 10, 2022
twosquare:
What is this? Kindly mention the brand and specs. Thanks
it's a laptop powerbank
,You may reach wiremind on whatsapp 0810965552six to know more

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 6:38pm On Feb 10, 2022
LeoFish92:

I just started my Javascript journey today. 33gb udemy course downloaded. I will be dedicating 2 to 3 hours daily.

Just wondering, how long did it take you to become good and apply for jobs?

I can't really place a time frame on my progress because I've been grossly inconsistent due to a variety of factors. I started applying once I got a few projects on my portfolio, there's still so much to learn though.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by YeyeGbami: 6:38pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:
After sending loads of applications for remote web dev positions throughout December without success I stopped applying and went into blockchain development. Last week I was replying a message on my LinkedIn account when I saw this jnr WordPress developer vacancy that popped up. I just applied since it takes less than a minute to do so on LinkedIn.

I was surprised when they sent me a mail two days later with a link to an assessment which I took and submitted. They got back to me some days later to fix an interview date, I choose Feb 9 among the listed options. The time options included 7pm, 7:15pm and 7:30pm and I chose the 1st option. The interview was supposed to last for just 15 minutes.

I left Chelsea's match that I was watching at half time to prepare for my interview. I asked one of my Nairaland friends for data and he sent me 3gb, I was all set up by 6:44 pm with a Bluetooth that I borrowed from a friend for the occasion. I didn't want any stories. If only I knew what was lying in wait for me....6:52 pm.....Boom!!! NEPA took light.

My laptop was fully charged but knowing fully well that my battery was not trustworthy, it would last 2 hours when it's in a good mood and 5 minutes on it's angry days. I grabbed my charger and extension and ran off to a nearby restaurant in my area. You think Usian Bolt can run baa? If you see my speed this evening you will like me. It was a combination of Bolt and Ben Johnson. I ran like a criminal that was escaping an angry mob about to lynch him, with the way I was grabbing my PC under my armpit I could easily be mistaken for a thief by the way.

I got there by 6:59 pm, plugged my stuffs and connected to the zoom call by 7: 02 pm, the beautiful oyinbo woman was already waiting. While she was in a well lit apartment, I was in a place with red and blue bulbs with my face barely visible even though I supported the light with my phone torch light flashing straight to my face.

She smiled immediately I came online, and murmured something, omo the Bluetooth was not connected o. Something I tested before connecting to the call, I was fumbling with my Bluetooth settings while she kept talking and gesticulating if I could hear her. The Bluetooth was connected to the system but was somehow not working, she saved me from my misery when she suggested we port to google meet for the interview.

I used the opportunity to check my Bluetooth settings well and connected to the call through a link she sent to my mail almost immediately. In the middle of the interview the restaurant gen went off throwing everywhere into darkness.... Omo!!!

I had to keep shining teeth and stretching my small eyes to its elastic limit because they were the only visible things from my end. She burst into laughter and I couldn't help but join her. It was as if she was in heaven calling someone in hell. I apologized and she told me not to worry that she understands amidst another bout of laughter that she was struggling to contain.

She shaa finished the interview with the normal I will get back to you after accessing the performance of other candidates, I still apologized for my interview settings hoping it won't affect my chances, she assured me that it won't have any bearing on her decision making as regards to selection of the successful candidate. She couldn't stop smiling throughout the interview that lasted for like 20 mins.

I packed my kaya and went home. I laughed my heart out while I narrated everything to my friend who rolled on the floor with laughter. The image of my eyes and teeth in darkness was so hilarious. This was actually my first interview and it will definitely live long in my memory.

Had a good laugh with this.

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by ajl: 6:42pm On Feb 10, 2022
I really feel bad reading your story. A young man looking for a remote web dev position but unfortunately your circumstances as pre-determined by the Nigerian situation has reflected that you might not be in a good position to be able to handle the job, not because of lack of ability but because what happened during the interview reflect that you may not always have smooth access to internet or power supply. Miracles do happen. Next time, if you can, and if possible, go outdoor for such interview. Maybe in a quiet park. The only thing you have to worry about is internet and power bank. With all the portable internet router that is available now, this shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by fastseo: 6:44pm On Feb 10, 2022
KrustyKrab:

Hey man, Greetings.

I'ld like to know how much you bought this solar battery and the place you bought it from.

I Love KrabbyPatty.. tongue

Then it was 50k and the name is Mercury.
Its been long so dollar rate has gone high. Expect to get it @ higher price

Go to where they sell solar panels and ask them of it
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Offpoint1: 6:45pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:
You're getting the job bro... believe me before this time next week, you'll get the job.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Chuksmonika(m): 6:45pm On Feb 10, 2022
When I have a zoom interview with my foreign clients on Upwork, I always put on my generator even if there's light. I can't afford a blackout.

7 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Myzubby(m): 6:46pm On Feb 10, 2022
BluntTheApostle:
I remember my own first experience with a foreign firm on Zoom.

I had to study Brighter Grammar to sharpen my English. I did a lot more other things. I even did rehearsals, studied the job description, downloaded videos on YouTube.

On D Day when I found myself on the hot seat, I became a stammerer. Ordinary to say hello back to the interviewer, I was just stammering all over the place like a fool. I was like "em...you see...hope you get." The Oyinbo man was just looking at me as if I were an alien from Mars. Next thing, the blunders started flowing. These were blunders which under normal circumstances I would never make. Anyways, at a point, I was so helpless that I laughed. The Oyinbo's expression was like, "What the damn is funny, you fool!"

Since then, I have developed a phobia for interviews with foreign firms.
actually it could be low self esteem ? Enough reason you should make friends with the whites asians and americans this will help you master the way they ask questions and also detect their sense of humor . Assuming you have a white friend you normally chat or video call such embarrassment wouldnt have happened.
Further more , start watching foreign movies like american movies to learn their dictions and pronounciations over time you will start to blend with them . Such abrupt learning you had before the interview is not a guarantee. Wish you the best bro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by dinero101(m): 6:47pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

I pray you get the Job
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by kelvnigeria(m): 6:54pm On Feb 10, 2022
I have never experienced anything like that. You see I am not one of those Nigerians who leave everything to chance. You lost a job today because you did not prepare. Preparation does not only involve reading interview questions. It involves providing solutions to potential problems that will disrupt your chance if landing the job. No recruiter will offer you that role because it shows exactly how you do not think outside the box. If you can solve ordinary interview settings challenges why should I trust you with decisions that have serious repercussions on my business?

I remember my first foreign interview, I slept at my uncles house that was close to 30KM away from me. I used his Library, internet and generator. During the interview they complemented that they like the lighting of my room and were wandering if thats my house. Thats how I use the conversation to sell my self. At the end of the day, no additional questioned asked. They said I was exactly the person they were looking for after interviewing 17 other candidates.

Thats how I broke the poverty circle in Nigeria. So while you laugh at your sorrow remind yourself how stupid you were for not taking your chances.

4 Likes

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Fapemz: 6:55pm On Feb 10, 2022
I am your power solution expert
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Zordgrub: 7:00pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

me sef dey laugh lol. Please mention me when they get back to me.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by LikeAking: 7:04pm On Feb 10, 2022
U wey abandon programing befor.

Lolz
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by vikstandon(m): 7:10pm On Feb 10, 2022
Quite funny bro...but try and get a generator set.
IT jobs requires a good setting...a nice workspace since you would be working remotely.
Not having light sends a negative signal that you might be failing to meet up with timelines.

I still like the ladies sense of humor. I also wish you well and pray you get that opportunity.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by rayopt(m): 7:20pm On Feb 10, 2022
Supreme145:

Omo x10000 these shits no dey funny ooo. But you are strong sha. Other people fit just give up instanta. By God's grace, it will turn out well. To me, this is one of the encounters that use to make me believe something good is about to happen. But, in all, try they plan ahead better for those kain things next time. These are big opportunities ooo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by inforesource: 7:27pm On Feb 10, 2022
That is the spirit my brother. Keep your head high it shall be well!!! A student of mind has this similar experience. I can't control my laughter. grin grin grin
Supreme145:

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Beatricev: 7:37pm On Feb 10, 2022
@supreme145 and anyone that works remotely,

My advice is to get a laptop power bank. A good power bank can last for 24 hours just like the one I use. You can charge your laptop and phone with it. Aside from the environmental noise and internet fluctuations, the power bank takes care of the power issue.
Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 7:42pm On Feb 10, 2022
kelvnigeria:
I have never experienced anything like that. You see I am not one of those Nigerians who leave everything to chance. You lost a job today because you did not prepare. Preparation does not only involve reading interview questions. It involves providing solutions to potential problems that will disrupt your chance if landing the job. No recruiter will offer you that role because it shows exactly how you do not think outside the box. If you can solve ordinary interview settings challenges why should I trust you with decisions that have serious repercussions on my business?

I remember my first foreign interview, I slept at my uncles house that was close to 30KM away from me. I used his Library, internet and generator. During the interview they complemented that they like the lighting of my room and were wandering if thats my house. Thats how I use the conversation to sell my self. At the end of the day, no additional questioned asked. They said I was exactly the person they were looking for after interviewing 17 other candidates.

Thats how I broke the poverty circle in Nigeria. So while you laugh at your sorrow remind yourself how stupid you were for not taking your chances.
I don't know why you had to resort to insults to drive home your point, you think I had better options but instead choose to stress myself?? I even made a mistake by dignifying your arrogance with a response.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Supreme145(m): 7:44pm On Feb 10, 2022
LikeAking:
U wey abandon programing befor.

Lolz
I did o, my instinct just pushed me to apply for the job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Interview Experience With A Foreign Firm by Charly500(m): 7:54pm On Feb 10, 2022
op wishing you all the best, i pray it turns out well

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

You Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen And Flesh - @mufclatestnews Blasts Guy / 20 Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria / What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.