Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,046 members, 7,814,589 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

The Ring And Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Ring And Marriage (1764 Views)

Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. / The Culture Of Wedding Ring And Its Meaning In Nigeria / Words From A Father To His Son About Women And Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ring And Marriage by Free(f): 10:57pm On Feb 16, 2006
Okay, y'all check this out:

My uncle has been married to his wife for about 9 years now and my uncle he no buy his wifey a ring for marriage
they didnt have a wedding either.

Right, well just last year my uncles wife friend got married and her husband bout her a ring, ever since then my aunty has been bugging the hell out of ma uncle to buy her a ring also,so that other man can know she is taken. but he aint listening but told her that is her that is the way she will carry herself that will let other man know she is married.

I do agree with that. i mean he loves her and all , she asked me what i thought and i told her since he loved her, she should let this ring go and not let it become an issue, .ma moms been married to ma pops for 20 years now she aint got no ring, but they still chilling, happier evryday. Love conquers all u know, shit.

is a ring really that important in a marriage?
Re: The Ring And Marriage by monie0078(f): 3:40am On Feb 17, 2006
I'm sorry Free, I have to agree with her, He needs to put a ring on her finger, It's a sign of commitment, it's a sign of devotion, and it's a statement to the rest of the world that one is in a union, that's why a wedding ring is usually a single band, it's a symbol of a 'bond', the bond between a man and his wife, My opinion.
Re: The Ring And Marriage by Seun(m): 4:24am On Feb 17, 2006
I don't really see why it should be hard for a man to get a ring for his wife. I mean, come on, how expensive could a ring be? If your wife says she wants the feather of an ostrich, and that is what will bring peace to the home, why not? Even if he feels the ring is nothing, it is something he should be able to get. Unless he can't afford it.

If your uncle can't buy a simple wedding ring, I suppose the idea of getting a flower or a valentine's day card will be something he can't even imagine.
Re: The Ring And Marriage by Motee(f): 10:07am On Feb 17, 2006
Free:

Okay, y'all check this out:

My uncle has been married to his wife for about 9 years now and my uncle he no buy his wifey a ring for marriage
they didnt have a wedding either.

Does that mean they have not been to Court also to sign wedding papers?  If yes, and they are Nigerians and have not even done the customary wedding stuff, they are not married so the issue of a ring is not needed.  They are just leaving together lovers or am I missing something more than what you have explained so far as per the way they got married!
Re: The Ring And Marriage by elu(f): 11:59am On Feb 17, 2006
wel one point is dt ur uncle did not wed her,so she shudn't expect a ring wtout a proper wedding.
the ring is the official symbol of marriage.so if u dnt do it d official way dnt expect to hv one smiley
Re: The Ring And Marriage by Outkast(f): 4:51pm On Feb 17, 2006
So funny, because My lit teacher and the class had a similar discussion.My friend(when i was 18) got engaged, her boyfriend(a very close friend of mine) gave her this 2 carat engagement ring, she was showing it off and stuff and then the size of the ring comes up and the question of size. Of course we argue,"yes it does","no it doesn't" my lit teacher just looks at us and he's quiet.

He says that the ring business was brought about by europeans. Our Ancestors got married without rings, who says it's a symbol, didn't does marriages work better than the ones today. In a lot of Asian countries,(things are changing due to so called adapting the western style)they get married without the rings and their marriages last longer. So point to ponder
Re: The Ring And Marriage by monie0078(f): 5:28pm On Feb 17, 2006
A lot of things that were brought by Westerners have been incorporated into our every day lives, that's too broad (in my opinion) to go on, Christianity was also brought by them, do we ignore it? Marraiges lasted longer back in the day because things were much simpler. Less distractions, less 'complexes', there were rules and everyone followed them. That's about it. The fact that they had no rings has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Re: The Ring And Marriage by mobzy205(f): 6:39pm On Feb 17, 2006
he meant to have put a ring on her because its a sign of the vow u too made together and other know she is married and proud and as she said taken kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Ring And Marriage by kimba(m): 8:12pm On Feb 17, 2006
for me sha o,

i blive that LOVE is the main matter of the issue, not the ring or the handcuffs or whatever ppl might fancy. I know a lot of guys who remove their rings when they go out of their house, or if there among young ppls, u know prospect flings, and then they quickly rub off the ring marks on their skin, they wear it again as they go back home, what a burden

Some even choose not to wear the ring all the time, so it doesnt leave a pattern on their skin, u know, as in they have long-term plans already in place, Plan "B" and "C".

YES, our forefathers and foremothers got married and lived happily-ever-after without a ring, and their marriages, and theones in their time weremore successful than the hypocritical marriages(so that others will see me weddings) that we have today.

The RING can be a sign of whatever, but i dont think it matters anymore in todays world. In fact, there are single ppl(men and women home breakers) who are more interested in getting together with those flaunting their rings. so u better be careful

For the lady in ?, if the husband has enough money, let him get his wife a ring, if that will make her happier, anyways, what otherduty does he have than to maintain a happy wife, but i really wonder why she should be pestering her husband to give her an evidence that she's no more available. Is shestill getting suitors. If I were u, i would sit her down and find her more details.

The irony of our time is that u cant easily recognize a married woman. They still flaunt all they've got and some even dress up immaturely - and such clothes portray nothing but the factthat they are looking for more attention and "action", so weve gotto be very careful nowadays,

ring or no ring, LOVE is the answer.

KiMbA
Re: The Ring And Marriage by IAH(f): 11:24pm On Feb 17, 2006
The wedding ring is important o! Especially for the wife - to ward off the roaring lions seeking whom to devour! shocked
Re: The Ring And Marriage by Seun(m): 1:02am On Feb 18, 2006
Even if she says she wants the feathers of an Ostrich, and you know you can get it, why not? Afterall it will help the relationship and make the wife feel proud of her status, and she will show it off to her friends and say "my husband got this for me, isn't it beautiful?!" Nothing in life is necessary, but many things are beneficial.
Re: The Ring And Marriage by Maxflame(m): 1:37pm On Feb 18, 2006
It is very important to have a ring. Its th sybol of the eternal bonding between two people so non of them would go astray. There would always be a more beautiful chick or mone handsome guy and even as you love your other half your hormones don't give a damn what your feel is right or wrong, so your ring can help put you in check once in a while.
Re: The Ring And Marriage by chrisd(m): 8:33pm On Feb 18, 2006
Commitment is in actions, not rings.
Re: The Ring And Marriage by otokx(m): 8:35pm On Feb 18, 2006
this ring busines i believe was imported from the western imperialists as our fore fathers am sure did not engage in such practices.  i have heard of married women with their rings still getting vibrated by other young guys so i don't know what is all this hullaboo.
Re: The Ring And Marriage by Maxflame(m): 8:48pm On Feb 18, 2006
Re: The Ring And Marriage by chrisd(m): 8:49pm On Feb 18, 2006
For me, it's saturday.
Re: The Ring And Marriage by Maxflame(m): 9:03pm On Feb 18, 2006
shocked OMG i lost a day!
Re: The Ring And Marriage by nikinash(f): 3:56pm On Feb 28, 2006
a ring is not what defines the commitment to a marriage, how many ringed women and men go about having affairs. there's nothing wrong with her wanting a ring, its cool to have a ring, but if she really wants it then she has to make her husband understand her.

i personally don't wear my ring very often because i find rings very uncomfortable.
Re: The Ring And Marriage by babymine(f): 9:39am On Mar 08, 2006
Couples should always wear their rings. It's a sign of committment. N smtimes it helps you overcome certain temptations. grin
Re: The Ring And Marriage by alheri(f): 12:05pm On Mar 08, 2006
@max, of cause you lost a day! After taking a whole barrel of that! cheesy
Re: The Ring And Marriage by Maxflame(m): 1:02pm On Mar 08, 2006
Re: The Ring And Marriage by flower(f): 2:00pm On Mar 08, 2006
There's really nothing I can say to add to the majority of the argument that a ring, although not necessarlily needed, is very benificial (as Seun stated). For one, it is the first line of defense. It will not keep those who are desperately determined to talk to you away, but it will ward off those who have respect for other's relationships.

Also, it is a symbol of one being in a commitment, wedding or no. There must be something else wrong if he's desperately not trying to get her something as simple as a ring.
Re: The Ring And Marriage by mamaput(f): 9:39am On Mar 10, 2006
Does that mean they have not been to Court also to sign wedding papers? If yes, and they are Nigerians and have not even done the customary wedding stuff, they are not married so the issue of a ring is not needed. They are just leaving together lovers or am I missing something more than what you have explained so far as per the way they got married!

Wrong for a customary marrage you don't have to party and dance
If a Man in Nigeria says "this is my wife and there are my kids" I cannot think of any on that can go near that side and say its not true,.
The man has told the family and has allowed her to carry his name.
If she wants a ring let him get her one
Re: The Ring And Marriage by eveseh(f): 3:05pm On Apr 28, 2006
without ring no marriage cool cool
Re: The Ring And Marriage by Rhodalyn(f): 3:08pm On Apr 28, 2006
word! kiss
Re: The Ring And Marriage by eveseh(f): 3:31pm On Apr 28, 2006
Rhodalyn:

word! kiss

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Ring And Marriage by tome1: 3:54pm On Feb 05, 2008
a ring is very important o.he must buy it grin grin grin
Re: The Ring And Marriage by adeboo(f): 8:59pm On Feb 05, 2008
I have to agree too, the ring is a very important symbol.
Like she said, she needs a ring on her finger so that it can be known that she is somebody's property.

Yes mine would be a 14 carat white gold, diamond cut Tiffany's ring - see with me, i will even specify sha. grin

(1) (Reply)

Sex: Matters Arising / Is Tough Parenting Really The Answer? / SMS Wrongly Sent By Daughter To Father!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.