Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,085 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. (34003 Views)

Help !! My Wife Removes Her Ring Anytime We Have A Quarrel / Man Buys Wife A Ship In 2017 After Proposing To Her Without A Ring 20 Years Ago / When Your Mom Is A Complete Nigerian Woman.know Your Mum Is A Nigerian 1 When Yo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by MizMyColi(f): 11:35am On Oct 02, 2015
This writeup is written by a Nigerian, especially for Nigerian Ladies.
Please understand that while I and the writer share this view, you are under no obligation to share.
If it does not resonate with you...please feel free to toss it out and shout like Orubebe did "WE WILL NOT TAKE THIS; THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE"
If it does resonate with you, please welcome like a breath of fresh air.

Dear reader I am afraid I have been thinking again.

Well technically this is a thought that came to my mind several months ago. It simmered for a bit and then receded into the background but recent discussions on Facebook have brought it to the fore again and I am now going to share it.

Please note as always that these are purely my thoughts and I do not consider myself an expert on the subject.

Here we go

Several months ago, I found myself thinking about how whenever a girl or young lady in my nation is corrected by her parents or guardians, it is always done in view of her eventual marriage. For example

“Chinwe look how dirty your room is! Is this how you will handle your home?!”

“Rebecca this your arrogance and tongue will drive away your husband”

“You need to learn how to do domestic chores so that you can be a good wife to your husband”

And so on

Now I am pretty sure that some of these statements are made with good intentions but in view of how the WOMAN is perceived and treated in my country, I cannot help but ask:

“Why should a girl’s upbringing be done solely in view of her getting married?”

“Why correct her only with eventual marriage in mind? Why not correct her simply because SHE is deserving of better?”

“Does her worth and value as a person lie only in whether she has a ring and a title?”

Dear reader I don’t know about you but I am of the candid opinion that there is a certain backward thinking that ties all that a woman is to whether she is married or not. A thinking that declares that the success of a woman is in her being MRS and MAMA and I see the statements above as being the result of such thinking.

The repercussions of this are many and dire

Young ladies conditioned to see themselves as little or nothing without the “YES” of a man and as result, the critical foundation of self-love is never laid

Young girls striving to confirm to the image of “an ideal wife” and because of this, dreams are jettisoned, opinions are silenced and insight and intelligence is dumbed down just to sync with this “ideal”

Young ladies programmed to look for their salvation in men. To be the damsel in distress, the princess waiting for her prince, whereas the key to her own happiness, fulfillment and joy has always been in her hands.

Women taught to submit their individuality for the coveted ring and title and to not only accept it but rejoice in it

I believe that this needs to die

I believe that every woman is an individual with a voice to be heard, an opinion to be expressed and dreams to be made flesh. Her world is more than a marriage and family.

I believe that such backward thinking, rather than creating strong stable marriages only leads to a weak form of it. For a marriage should be between two individuals who know themselves and are complementing each other on their personal growth and development and NOT where one person seeks value and worth in another person or institution

My counsel (if you choose to accept it) is this

Woman know thyself. Discover who you are. You are more than a ring and a title. For some ladies it will take a major shock to the system (infidelity, abuse, divorce, death) for them to realize that their individuality beyond marriage and family. You need not wait for this. Pay attention to your dreams. Lay hold and go for them. Yes the society has not made it convenient for you but do not let that stop you. You are strong and well able. Live and be fulfilled. Fulfilled people make fulfilled marriages anyway.

For those women who are already on this path and are on the receiving end of all kinds of opposition, I hail and applaud you all. Do not look back. People will always have their opinions but it has nothing on you. Go forward, take up your sword and carve out your own piece of heaven.

Bless you and thank you for reading.

https://wordsmithf./2015/09/30/woman-you-are-more-than-a-ring-and-a-title/

71 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by cococandy(f): 11:38am On Oct 02, 2015
cool cool

Direly needed message

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by Nobody: 11:45am On Oct 02, 2015
Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by MizMyColi(f): 11:54am On Oct 02, 2015
cheesy
cococandy:
cool cool

Direly needed message

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by babygirlfl: 12:01pm On Oct 02, 2015
I just love this. Thanks mizmycoli

7 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by MizMyColi(f): 12:07pm On Oct 02, 2015
babygirlfl:
I just love this. Thanks mizmycoli

Glad to see my friend inspire ladies on a wider scale.
If anyone has ever wondered what it is about me and how I think/the folks I mingle with, look no further!
One of them wrote this.

cheesy

I remember when I started politics newly....he is the one thing that kept me in that section during the early days.
His words ring loud and true every now and then.

I look at the guy who wrote this, and I'm hopeful for the Nigerian Man.

13 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by Tallesty1(m): 12:11pm On Oct 02, 2015
A Lady after reading this:

Lady: Oh, I love this. Thanks MizMyColi, I just wish our ladies will learn.

Then she receives a message from boo.

Boo: Are you free? Let's hang out.

Lady: Oh! I love this. Thanks boo.

So she goes out with boo, straffs him all night and everything she read wipes out automatically.

And everything still remains thesame.

BTW, the op failed to realize that marriage increases a man's or a woman's worth too. I don't care who you are or what you have achieved, if you are single then you are incomplete.

And What's with people and their recent attack on marriage btw? Is marriage the only institution that is failing?

Nothing on earth is better than a blessed marriage, it's an achievement on its own, the reason most fail is is our sin.

It is sin that will make a man to hit his woman. It is sin that will make a man see a woman as a lesser being, it's sin that will make a man to cheat on, beat or mistreat his woman in any way. Same thing goes for the woman.

Listen, if we all should repent and follow God's guidelines for marriage then believe you me that marriage will become the best thing on earth.

Oluboonmi:

incomplete" bro, you still live in the 19th century. Marriage does not complete you. You can be single and complete. Jesus was never married, did that cut short his destiny? NO. The Scripture says 'You are complete in Him'
Now, just so you know, I am not against marriage. It's a beautiful institution created be God for mankind. I desire to be married someday and have a lovely marriage.
People who say you are incomplete without marriage are those that weaken the 'defense' of most ladies. They feel no matter what they do or achieve or how far they've come in their career, or what have you, they are not complete until theres a husband, hence, husbandhunt starts. Many fall into wrong marriages just so they can feel that 'completeness'. To every lady out there, YOU ARE COMPLETE EVEN AS A SINGLE. WHEN YOU ARE MARRIED, YOU JOIN YOUR COMPLETENESS TO A COMPLETE GUY AND YOU'LL MAKE A BEAUTIFUL MARRIAGE.
I know that people will misunderstand me here but I am only responsible for what I mean, not what they understand.

First thing first, a single man is a lonely man and loneliness is an awful thing; it is emptiness, incompleteness, lack of communion, lack of personal companionship. Loneliness is the lack of opportunity to share yourself with someone who understands. If you don't have that person, you are incomplete.

You quoted Bible first so let's rub mind there too, a woman was created to be a helper suitable for man, compatible with him spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. She is his complement, providing what he lacks and fulfilling his potential.

How woman was created: God took a rib out of the man and from it made a woman. While he created man out of the constituents of soil, he made woman out of man. She is part of him. In fact, she has part of him, and man is incomplete until he gets that part back in the person of a wife.

You mentioned 19th century, bro does it mean that the purpose of marriage then and now are no longer the same? If yes then who changed it?

Epaul:
If your claim that "if you are single then you are incomplete" is anything to go by, isn't it safe then to say Jesus, Paul, John the baptist were very much incomplete since they never knew the innards of a woman despite being the purported silver-tails of the spirit? Doesn't that make flimflam of christianity in that their 'lord and personal savior' was, in fact, an incomplete bloke who never got married?

Though I have replied you before but I want you to understand something, for what it's worth.

A single man is incomplete unless he has the divinely bestowed gift of celibacy! The Bible teaches that celibacy is a special gift from God which is sometimes bestowed on a man or woman when the single status would permit him or her to be more effective in the service of Jesus Christ.

It's a special calling for a special purpose.

112 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by NiRfreak(m): 12:16pm On Oct 02, 2015
Movement for the emancipation of women......don arrive......aggrieved individuals against the age long dominance of men.....Let the war begin

1 Like

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by MizMyColi(f): 12:20pm On Oct 02, 2015
gringringringrincheesycheesycheesygringrin
Tallesty1:
A Lady after reading this:

Lady: Oh, I love this. Thanks MizMyColi, I just wish our ladies will learn.

Then she receives a message from boo.

Boo: Are you free? Let's hang out.

Lady: Oh! I love this. Thanks boo.

So she goes out with boo, straffs him all night and everything she read wipes out automatically.

And everything still remains thesame.

3 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 02, 2015

Nice post, OP...

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by MadCow1: 12:56pm On Oct 02, 2015

10 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by Republlican(f): 12:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
Hairdresser give this OP and the writer two hot brazian hair on my account I totally concur kiss

1 Like

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by SupremeNG: 12:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by Aminat508(f): 12:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
Nice Thanks @ Op

2 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by lilmax(m): 12:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
Mizmycoli we need something new, we need women to practice what they preach

8 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by Sijo01(f): 12:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
Lol @shout like Orubebe did. . . . Going back to read
Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by stinggy(m): 12:58pm On Oct 02, 2015
Pay attention to your dreams. Lay hold and go for them.

I wish ladies will take this advice above. Chase your dreams, not rings.

Thanks for sharing mizmycoli

9 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by ifeatu2011: 12:58pm On Oct 02, 2015
Just wanna occupy space

Where is lady F
Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 02, 2015
I see
Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by allanphash7(m): 12:58pm On Oct 02, 2015
Nice write up

9 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by nasha1(f): 12:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
Why do i have this impression of women consoling themselves once they reach 30. grin
You can't read such from men,only women like re-assuring their worth.They go on and on about how they are not defined by a ring or a man but once they reach their late 40,they become frustrated,snatching other people husband,having bastards everywhere.
A happy woman doesn't need to write long essay to show people that she is happy,it shows in her.This is what i call depression. grin

45 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by xmich(m): 12:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
Have you signed the petition if no I hope its time for you to do so

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/a-call-to-boycott-buhari.fb49?source=s.icn.fb&r_by=14294119

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by damton(m): 12:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
And men, you are more than ATM.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by hardywaltz(m): 12:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
Ok
Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by lonelydora: 12:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
"The beauty of a woman is her husband"......... So they taught me.

WEEK...... women's education ends in kitchen. So I heard in primary school. But my wife's own didn't end in kitchen though.

Proverbs 31......... told me something about being a virtuous woman. And verse 11 says "The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that He shall have no need of spoil"

I assume you are a christian, read it first and come back let's talk.

See Op, all these rich ladies are not happy they are not married. They cry in their secrets. Some of them confided in me and told me so. Ask Linda and Genevive, you think they don't want to be like Omotola?

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by webshopng1(m): 12:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
true
Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by sauceEEP(m): 12:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
F
Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
Another Bullcrap...

3 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by MrLouisVanGaal1: 1:01pm On Oct 02, 2015
Pitiably it's a man's world. Man was created to be stronger, faster and a protector to the woman. It is just natural the woman would feel secure being in his arms, being cared for by him as he leads the home being the stronger vessel like i said. It's on this premise coupled with the submissiveness their religions preaches that ensures women are automated from infant to view marriage as the eldorado of female existence. My sister write a billion articles like this if you want, but this order will not change soon. Except you want men to stop being stronger, except you want women to stop following what the pastor, imam, bible, quoran say.

Even many women reading this are so consumed with the love of marriage and marriage related things that nothing matters than that day and the respect of being addressed as Mrs.

12 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by anonimi: 1:01pm On Oct 02, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Woman! Know Thyself! You Are More Than A Ring And A Title. by uzolexis(f): 1:01pm On Oct 02, 2015
Hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

I Ran Away From Home With My Sister / My Husband Thinks I'm A Liar. / My 17th Wedding Anniversary Today And Getting Stronger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.