Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla (2726 Views)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? / Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? / Meet 22-Year-Old Lexie Alford Who Has Travelled To Every Country In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by avalon7(m): 5:13pm On Feb 11, 2022
Hello guys, my name is Charles, i recently graduated with a Beng in mechanical engineering from a federal university of technology in Nigeria. I am also into programming and data analytics and i have gotten some jobs as a freelancer in these areas.

I got my international passport on January ( 5 yrs validity) and i have a goal to leave is yeye country in the next two years. Even tho i have a BEng in mechanical engineering i would prefer to move into tech as there seems to be more opportunities.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to go about this my plan. What countries should i be considering and what can i do within 2 years to improve my chances of getting a visa and hopefully a permanent residency or it's equivalent in Canada ot any European country?

Help a brother out cry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by ednut1(m): 5:19pm On Feb 11, 2022
Get 3 years work experience and an extra degree( post grad) for Canada.

For usa write GRE , apply for scholarship in state universities.

For Europe improve your skills and experience, and apply directly to jobs or use school.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by avalon7(m): 5:26pm On Feb 11, 2022
ednut1:

For Europe improve your skills and experience, and apply directly to jobs or use school.

Thanks.
I heard Europe is very welcoming to people in tech.
I will research about GRE for USA, but i graduated with a 2.2 so I don't think I'll be able to get scholarships
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by avalon7(m): 5:28pm On Feb 11, 2022
ednut1:

Do online certificates count as an extra degree? Cos I don't see myself attending any Nigerian institution undecided
I'm already taking several courses offered by harvad on your edx
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by ednut1(m): 5:39pm On Feb 11, 2022
avalon7:

Do online certificates count as an extra degree? Cos I don't see myself attending any Nigerian institution undecided
no, only bcs uk is recognized as extra degree.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by dawnomike(m): 5:40pm On Feb 11, 2022
avalon7:

If you are taking courses on EDX, uou are on the right track.

1 Like

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by avalon7(m): 5:57pm On Feb 11, 2022
ednut1:
no, only bcs uk is recognized as extra degree.

But getting an extra degree was your suggestions for Canada. I think some courses offered on edx are recognised in USA, Canada and Europe. Have you heard of these Digital nomad visas?
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by ednut1(m): 6:06pm On Feb 11, 2022
avalon7:

But getting an extra degree was your suggestions for Canada. I think some courses offered on edx are recognised in USA, Canada and Europe. Have you heard of these Digital nomad visas?
last reply to you cos he be like you don’t wanna learn or research. There is a Canadian thread on here go read. By extra degree- masters, pgd , diploma is recognized by the evaluating bodies. Acca, ican ats, cipm, ciin and bcs uk is also recognized. All those other it certifications are not for immigration purposes. Canada system is based on points, the certification is relevant when you get to Canada but for points in immigration those ones above give points. Bye

1 Like

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by avalon7(m): 6:33pm On Feb 11, 2022
ednut1:
last reply to you cos he be like you don’t wanna learn or research. There is a Canadian thread on here go read. By extra degree- masters, pgd , diploma is recognized by the evaluating bodies. Acca, ican ats, cipm, ciin and bcs uk is also recognized. All those other it certifications are not for immigration purposes. Canada system is based on points, the certification is relevant when you get to Canada but for points in immigration those ones above give points. Bye
Thanks
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Gerrard59(m): 9:44am On Feb 12, 2022
avalon7:

Thanks.
I heard Europe is very welcoming to people in tech.
I will research about GRE for USA, but i graduated with a 2.2 so I don't think I'll be able to get scholarships

Don't write so. If you can score at least 320/340 and at least apply to four safety schools, you have a great chance to being admitted and offered some sort of funding esp assistantships. What was your 2'2 CGPA? But please note that the GRE isn't a walk in the park.

P.S. Relocating is more about finances than qualifications. You might/will face disappointments, setbacks here and there. Can you effortlessly afford to write either IELTS/TOEFL twice or thrice within a short period of time? Can you afford to do same for the GRE if you don't attain a good score? Can you afford one month quarantine fees? Most people have the relevant qualifications and information but finances disqualifies them. I know many people on this table. So focus on how much you will spend as a BSc degree qualifies you for japa via study route.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Raalsalghul: 3:30pm On Feb 12, 2022
Gerrard59:

Don't write so. If you can score at least 320/340 and at least apply to four safety schools, you have a great chance to being admitted and offered some sort of funding esp assistantships. What was your 2'2 CGPA? But please note that the GRE isn't a walk in the park.

P.S. Relocating is more about finances than qualifications. You might/will face disappointments, setbacks here and there. Can you effortlessly afford to write either IELTS/TOEFL twice or thrice within a short period of time? Can you afford to do same for the GRE if you don't attain a good score? Can you afford one month quarantine fees? Most people have the relevant qualifications and information but finances disqualifies them. I know many people on this table. So focus on how much you will spend as a BSc degree qualifies you for japa via study route.

What's the acceptance rate for the US study visa? Heard it's not too good.
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Cousin9999: 4:21pm On Feb 12, 2022
If you're an engineering major (any kind of engineering), it's assumed you have strong mathematics background. In the US, this pretty much automatically opens the door to lots of tech and finance positions (finance pays far more). However, you still need more training. You really should do a program. Do an IT, data science, or finance master's. Certs have value, but it's less predictable.
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by larrypourl(m): 4:50pm On Feb 12, 2022
ednut1:

Good day brother, been following your posts lately. Concerning relocating to Canada. I have 5 years work experience as information officer in a Federal tertiary institution in Nigeria... Age 32, married with no kids yet.
Educational qualifications: Bsc, Msc. What are my chances with Canada PR ?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by ednut1(m): 5:06pm On Feb 12, 2022
larrypourl:

Good day brother, been following your posts lately. Concerning relocating to Canada. I have 5 years work experience as information officer in a Federal tertiary institution in Nigeria... Age 32, married with no kids yet.
Educational qualifications: Bsc, Msc. What are my chances with Canada PR ?
Thanks
https://www.nairaland.com/6829885/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled read from page 1

2 Likes

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by avalon7(m): 6:09pm On Feb 12, 2022
Gerrard59:

Thanks a lot for the insight bro. I believe if i continue doing the work I'm doing i should be able to save up enough funds within 2 years. My CGPA was quite close to 3.5.
I know about IELTS/TOEFL but It seems i would have to do some in-depth research on this GRE thing.
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Gerrard59(m): 1:49pm On Feb 13, 2022
Raalsalghul:

If you have a fully funded admit whether MSc, MBA or PhD, chances are very high. Also, if you present your case strongly to the visa official (for self or relative sponsorship), chances are good but not as those with funding from institutions. I spent at least two months on the US' student's visa thread, I only read a fully funded PhD denied once, which he later reapplied and got approved less than a month after.
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Cousin9999: 2:04pm On Feb 13, 2022
If you're interested in the US, focus on flyover states. You'll have an easier time getting in and getting scholarships. Look at the Rocky Mountain region in particular.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Raalsalghul: 2:21pm On Feb 13, 2022
Gerrard59:

If you have a fully funded admit whether MSc, MBA or PhD, chances are very high. Also, if you present your case strongly to the visa official (for self or relative sponsorship), chances are good but not as those with funding from institutions. I spent at least two months on the US' student's visa thread, I only read a fully funded PhD denied once, which he later reapplied and got approved less than a month after.

Apart from that, a lot of people I've met seem to be afraid of the GRE.

They say it's not for average students or IQ.
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Gerrard59(m): 10:49am On Feb 14, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Apart from that, a lot of people I've met seem to be afraid of the GRE.

They say it's not for average students or IQ.

Agreed. Also, depends on one's secondary school foundation in Maths and English, one can do poorly or greatly in the examination. Nigerians and most sub-Saharan Africans score poorly in the GRE, worse so in the GMAT. Factor in the costs (black market rates not CBN) and possibilities of rewriting it to attain a good score, we've folks shying away from writing it. But for people who don't have the funds, unlike my friend who scored 280+ and changed her mind to Canada, they are better off preparing hard for the GRE and attain a score of at least 300. The end (fully funded program) justifies the means (max of $500 for preparation or rewriting). If someone has the resources, apply to British or Canadian universities.

1 Like

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Trencia: 10:14pm On Feb 16, 2022
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Trencia: 10:15pm On Feb 16, 2022
If you consider this,you can let me know
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by uthlaw: 11:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
Trencia:
If you consider this,you can let me know
I have interest on this!
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Trencia: 6:46pm On Feb 19, 2022
uthlaw:
I have interest on this!
Alright,you can send a mail, and we would move from there
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Xeeex: 10:06am On Mar 20, 2022
Since you're in tech it would be easy to move to Europe. Many companies in Europe, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden are happy to relocate developers to their country. Just learn your coding well and be building projects.

If you're still in Nigeria, you can focus on getting a remote job. If you have a job, you can easily get a digital nomad visa to Portugal or Mexico. Portugal digital nomad visa requirements is the cheapest. You only need to earn about 700 euros a month.

With a remote job, you can apply for tourist visa in many countries and stay for up to 3 months before moving to another country

1 Like

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by ibechris(m): 11:26am On Mar 20, 2022
Pray make this yeye country favour u...u can't curse the country at this stage of need...rather curse those corrupt politicians for causing more problems than good.

May your plan work for u but Nigeria isn't our problem but bad leaders.

I wish u the best as u journey to your success.

1 Like

Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by pulsa(m): 2:04pm On Mar 20, 2022
Xeeex:
Since you're in tech it would be easy to move to Europe. Many companies in Europe, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden are happy to relocate developers to their country. Just learn your coding well and be building projects.

If you're still in Nigeria, you can focus on getting a remote job. If you have a job, you can easily get a digital nomad visa to Portugal or Mexico. Portugal digital nomad visa requirements is the cheapest. You only need to earn about 700 euros a month.

With a remote job, you can apply for tourist visa in many countries and stay for up to 3 months before moving to another country

How does one go about Portugal digital nomad visa.
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Xeeex: 2:42pm On Mar 20, 2022
pulsa:

How does one go about Portugal digital nomad visa.

I only know it exists but I don't know how to apply from Nigeria
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by 1MILLIONLiGHTS(m): 6:57pm On Mar 20, 2022
Is mechanical engineering not tech again?
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by Hardheolar(m): 9:56am On May 15, 2022
Xeeex:

Hi xeeex, thanks for this detailed explanation. Do you have experience about Germany tourist visa? I am a freelancer on a retainer with a private individual who pays $800 monthly. Also have other returning clients. Will it qualify for a digital nomad?
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:33am On May 16, 2022
Raalsalghul:

I’ve helped family members through the process and the truth is unpopular but it’s the truth.
If a student qualifies for admission at an accredited school, has all transcripts, document, and sufficient funds to cover school and expenses, and submits a truthful, fully completed visa application the chances of that individual getting a US student visa is very high.
If a student is qualified then he qualifies. Don’t depend on others for help, do necessary research, and don’t try to cut corners. Be patient and do things by the book.
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:38am On May 16, 2022
Hardheolar:

Hi xeeex, thanks for this detailed explanation. Do you have experience about Germany tourist visa? I am a freelancer on a retainer with a private individual who pays $800 monthly. Also have other returning clients. Will it qualify for a digital nomad?

Are your clients owners of registered businesses? Do you possess signed contracts between you and your clients and verifiable proof of payment transactions?
Re: I Am Setting A Goal To Leave This Country In The Next Two Years But I Need A Pla by avalon7(m): 7:51am On May 16, 2022
Hardheolar:

You just need to have a verifiable proof that you earn over €700 monthly and you have been doing so for a certain period of time, perhaps a bank statement.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Don Suffer Sha - Even Morocco / Oron,Nigeria Coastal City Gets A Face Lift. / Trip To Greenland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.