Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? (17130 Views)

Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? / Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? / Canada Desperate To Stop Nigerians From Coming To The Country-SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NotBeenPaid: 5:04pm On Feb 03, 2022
So I came across this thread on FP and thought I write about myself a little.

https://www.nairaland.com/6969046/why-nigerians-desperate-leave-country

Just a brief timeline about my life hurdles. Not so much of a good writer, I don't talk too much. I am an introvert. So pardon my flaws. I know for sure that most persons go through a lot worse than this.

Like you I have always frowned against those leaving the country in droves. I felt like they were doing the country a de-service for not staying back to fix it together. But I was wrong all along.

Over the years as time went by after my SSCE, I was out on the street looking to make ends meet. I did a couple of menial jobs to survive. I was a sales boy in a little chemist for a couple of months but the pay was too little and so I left.

Then got another job in a fast-food restaurant as a waiter, worked round the clock for just eight thousand naira salary a month. In some months I got paid less or nothing due to shortages(those who have worked in these places know this). I was relieved of my job by the new Manager because I complained he added more task for me to do aside being waiter, I also controlled traffic within the premises, I drained out water from the soak away everyday after close of work all for just 8k a month. I was jobless for a couple months again.

Then I got another job in a club and the salary was eight thousand Naira a month. The CEO made us report to work 2pm everyday and closes 3-4am sometimes and we had no off days. He maltreated us real bad. I could remember vivid how he slapped me when he found me in the kitchen, and he wouldn't let me explain why I was taking a quick break was because I had blisters on both feet from walking around and attending to too many customers. I was completely worn out. He later relieved me of my job because of this. I became jobless again.

Then I found another job with a construction company (CCECC). Purely manual labour, here I was paid five hundred and sixty Naira a day which excluded Sundays... I resumed 7am and closed 5pm everyday. I couldn't keep up with the workload so I had to quit after 2 weeks. I was jobless again for a couple of months.

Found another job with a cleaning company. They were contracted to clean up the teaching hospital. So we were employed, we were paired 3 per units. In mine was a block in it had about 15 offices or more I think, that we had to clean up every single day. There were days too we did industrial cleaning in a newly opened block. Resumed 6am and closed 6pm everyday. Salary was just ten thousand Naira a month. Transportation alone to and fro was six thousand Naira a month. Leaving me with four thousand Naira as take home. There were also days I survived on just biscuits and water or saturated garri with groundnuts(Sipping garri). I was looking so unkempt, defeated, a walking skeleton. While on this job I got a call from a friend's Mom that her organization(State government) was looking for a cleaner.

I applied within and I got the job, so I left the other cleaning job. My salary on this new job was ten thousand Naira a month. Here, there were months I got owed for. Sometimes I was owed for 3 to 4 months without salary, the salary payment wasn't regular as the organization relied on impress to pay me. So I don't get paid when impress don't come in. I was later converted to an office boy after my Boss found out that I was good with computers/gadgets generally. Even though I never had one myself. I ran errands, did their computer jobs, managed the internet facility etc. My salary was doubled(20k) afterwards. But I still got owed even worst this time around for months. It wasn't funny at all. It affected my education because I needed money to pay my fees even though the salaries wasn't enough to pay a semester's fee and buy course materials. Feeding well/transportation was a big issue. There were days I had walk down to the office.

It got even worse after the APC government took over power, impress stopped coming in for months. I was owed 2 years, I kept writing letters asking for my money, it hasn't been paid to me up until this very moment. My colleagues were really helpful during this period, they helped out financially the little way they could. I was jobless again.

I relocated to Abuja, stayed with an Aunt with the hope that I'll find a good job after my IT. I needed to have a connection to do my IT in an organization where IT students are paid for which I didn't have any, submitted several IT application letters at NNPC, CAC and many more. Never got called up. The one guy that wanted to help out, wanted something in return($ex with my Aunt). Luckily, she spoke with one of her friends about me who knew someone in one of these organizations and that was how I did my IT and was paid 10k/month for 6months. I was loved by everyone at my unit, I learn fast, I am proficient and a problem solver(pardon me I no dey brag). I was in the ICT unit(I am a computer geek - self-taught). I discovered something while I was with the organization, too many incompetent hands, little or no experience on the job yet with huge salaries as take home. They kept reassuring me that I was going to be employed because my expertise was needed but for where them no send me oh rather they employed their own over competence.

Abeg make I stop here jare. E too plenty to type out before my thumbs go get six packs.

Modified:
While in my trying phase, my brother paid my admission fee, 3 of colleagues(2 of them are late now) also paid my school fees on different occasions(may their souls rest in peace). My girlfriend too paid my fees a couple of times.

I've been through a lot in life and wouldn't want my kids to suffer too. And Naija isn't where I want to raise a family. The tribalism, hate and religious sentiments is too much, every region prefers an incompetent leader over a competent leader from another region and the cycle continues. Naija is going to self- implode further in few more years from now. Providing basic amenities is now a rocket science in this country, insecurities, unemployment, people are dying on a daily. How much is a life a common Nigerian worth?

I can't come and kee mysef.

I have my passport handy hopefully I'll abandon this Naija before this year runs out for God1000 to help me fix am... tongue

95 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Winningbot: 5:18pm On Feb 03, 2022
grin
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by adefitim(m): 5:23pm On Feb 03, 2022
Is that even a question?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by joinnow: 5:26pm On Feb 03, 2022
Las Las the nays have it.
Aka JAPA
Just today Power holding want to increase tarrif meanwhile Senate committee is inviting power holding to explain why there has been total blackout nation wide.

Lack of continuity eg
Duke built Tinapa project
Liyel came abandon it
Ayade came and even want to sell it.
The same thing keep repeating from Federal to State
Another example CBN
Many uncountable examples

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by habsydiamond(m): 5:39pm On Feb 03, 2022
Simply because the country is not giving back to them.. They said go to school we went,but at the end what do we get.. Nothing! No job no wages no salaries. Dey said pay tax we pay but at the end what do we get bad roads, epileptic power supply, no good water, no good health care. Dey say vote in leaders we vote but at the end wetin we get Na embezzlement, Corruption, bad leadership, promise and fail and so on.. Shikena

111 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by heniford2: 5:51pm On Feb 03, 2022
bleeped up system in Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NotBeenPaid: 6:05pm On Feb 03, 2022
joinnow:
Las Las the nays have it.
Aka JAPA
Just today Power holding want to increase tarrif meanwhile Senate committee is inviting power holding to explain why there has been total blackout nation wide.

Lack of continuity eg
Duke built Tinapa project
Liyel came abandon it
Ayade came and even want to sell it.
The same thing keep repeating from Federal to State
Another example CBN
Many uncountable examples

Nigeria is beyond redemption right now. In 2023 Nigerians will make another bad choice and the cycle continues.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NotBeenPaid: 6:06pm On Feb 03, 2022
heniford2:
bleeped up system in Nigeria

Very bleeped up.

4 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by sirp9898(m): 10:02pm On Feb 03, 2022
Hatred for Igbo's cause it

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Nobody: 4:22am On Feb 04, 2022
Life generally ain't fear it just slightly better in the west.
With what have been through I use to sometimes wish I never exist.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Cousin9999: 10:41am On Feb 04, 2022
I'm not in any way trying to be dismissive of your experience, but have you ever tried to start any kind of business?

2 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NotBeenPaid: 5:07pm On Feb 04, 2022
Cousin9999:
I'm not in any way trying to be dismissive of your experience, but have you ever tried to start any kind of business?

I'm doing well now. Those were some of my life experiences.cool

8 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NotBeenPaid: 5:08pm On Feb 04, 2022
leody:
Life generally ain't fear it just slightly better in the west.
With what have been through I use to sometimes wish I never exist.

It isn't. Survival for the fittest. Nigeria does not appreciate genuine efforts.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 04, 2022
NotBeenPaid:

It isn't. Survival for the fittest. Nigeria does not appreciate genuine efforts.
. . A Russian frnd also said this he said when he got to Russia people just live normally . they just go to work ,go to store ,then back home .
No big big cars to impress people , no oppression, no tribalism,he even told me he has never for once experienced racism and he has been there since 2018 .
Nigeria is not it honestly..

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by slawormiir: 11:05am On Feb 05, 2022
Damnnn niggar

Nice write up

I feel your pain bro
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Naiira(m): 11:05am On Feb 05, 2022
Who asked this question

12 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 05, 2022
Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by hisexcellency34: 11:05am On Feb 05, 2022
Because Of Buhari

5 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by kuntash: 11:06am On Feb 05, 2022
Again ......

It's a dumb question.. I reiterate

2 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Tonygeesm(m): 11:06am On Feb 05, 2022
Nawa o, this country no useless reach for you abi

4 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by mariovito(m): 11:06am On Feb 05, 2022
I take this as a rhetorical question.

But hey, let me indulge you.

Even Nigeria wants to Leave Nigeria, Nigeria don tire for Nigeria.

Who doesn't want better life?
This small 70-80 Years wey I get to live, make I come spend am for suffer head?

It not just about money...

Its about security, good and affordable healthcare, functional system, peace, level headedness, living among "sane" people.

The rest of the world has gone far, they've gone hyper nuclear and we are still battling stone age problems here.

Abeg me sef go like go where light dey shine for up for night.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Hotzone(m): 11:06am On Feb 05, 2022
To avoid been kidnapped by businessman Evans

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Olam09(m): 11:06am On Feb 05, 2022
Because wea are hsjwmsmsmm2 snsnnzennesnkwkskens snnemsken2nenene kekenkskenee

If you don't gerrit forget abourrit!

2 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 11:06am On Feb 05, 2022
Dear OP,

Kindly stay and make this nation great. As for us, you will always be in our hearts. We promise not to forget the memories, it was amazing but the way forward is always to japa.

So help us God, Amen.

Signed and Sealed:
Intending Japa and Other Allied Matters Geng,
Bariga Branch.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by BSH4u(m): 11:06am On Feb 05, 2022
Hmmm!

Why won't people want to leave? Nigeria is like a pot of water placed over fire with a frog inside.

As the water get warmer, the frog adjusts it's body temperature to be at par with the temperature of the water instead of looking for a way to jump out. As time elapses, the water becomes too hot and the frog dies.

You as the Nigerian is like the frog...we keep trying to adjust to the way of life here due to the bad leadership we have but one day, it will get to a boiling point when we can't stand it (like it is already happening under APC)...

So the wisest decision is to jump out when you can.
=====================================
Are you a sexĂșally frustrated lady/woman who has never experienced orgasm before, check my profile.
=====================================

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by helinues: 11:06am On Feb 05, 2022
grin

Even if you give a mad man an hoe, he must first make ridges for himself

3 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by stunnert(m): 11:07am On Feb 05, 2022
There's fire on the mountain and everybody is running to get a visa, but I ask you this: if we all run from this country, who will fix it so it can be a better place for our next generations that will come out of our loins

3 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by Kharol1234: 11:07am On Feb 05, 2022
We are tired of Nigeria

How much you do your passport?
Make I they arrange money down

2 Likes

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by richPHAROAH: 11:07am On Feb 05, 2022
I have been to atleast 15 countries USA UK France Australia Singapore Japan inclusive. Naija is still the best. The people complaining are the rotten head peasants

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? by eherbal(m): 11:08am On Feb 05, 2022
When time reach for shiit to comot for body,nobody go tell am grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Awka Fun City Internal Road Dualisation Commenced (video) / List Of Friendly And Unfriendly Countries For Tourists / Air Peace, Emirates, Turkish Airlines To Launch Flights From Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.