Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,730 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire (11328 Views)

See The Traditional Attire Of Kuteb People / Important Things You Should Know About The Igbo Traditional Wedding / Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 2:46am On Feb 13, 2022

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 2:52am On Feb 13, 2022
More evidence of the early Yoruba Ijebu influence on Akwete designs.

[img]http:///65535/51886883533_d66b8964d5_h.jpg[/img]

3 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 2:57am On Feb 13, 2022
bundarina:
What I've seen is igbo take bits abd pieces of other groups traditional attire and say they 'also do it' when pre modern photos show that they didn't. I saw a tiktok of this American igbo people wearing Efik attire, Yoruba Gele and Edo attire as igbo culture.

Can igbo cultural figures come together and create a cultural attire that isn't copying and pasting other ethnicities attire. They'd say they wore like edo attire too without the Edo crown bead work but that's not true. Historical photos confirm this.

Some say that they wore a head wear similar to Gele called Ichafu, when Ichafu was actually an handkerchief they wore to church that came with colonialism. Ichafu is also a loan word from the French chef, and looked nothing like Yoruba Gele and the way it was styled. That's a given as historical photos show and both ethnicities were not in direct contact or neighbors, prior to the modern word.

So what's is actual igbo attire devoid of borrowing? And Isiagu is recent and imported, but i can respect it. Some other ethnicities in Cameroon, also within that Nigerian region have started the cultural borrowing too, mimicking their neighbors.

Video in question of a common example of the cultural outfit copy and paste. I will post screen shots since i can't post tiktoks.

Very true.
Some will even wear other cultural styles, appropriate it and then turn back to argue with the cultural proprietors. grin

Btw, what igbos call "ichafu" is not borrowed from "Chef" but from old french into english "chiffon" meaning a small piece of fabric or rag... the type handmaids would typically tie on their heads while doing domestic work or which women would typically use in catholic churches.

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by IamAtikulate: 8:17am On Feb 13, 2022
bundarina:

Drop the weed you are smoking, i don't care for delusional statements. Answer the question and stop being a class clown.

And the Sokoto Caliphate is in the north. Ife (Yoruba) iron smelting and art predates others in the Niger-area and is known for its exquisiteness. Akwette came about rather late (19th century) and was modeled after fabric sold by the ijebu Yorubas and the Portuguese to the igbos, all this is well documented.
Yorubas hate the truth.

Point out the lies in my submission or shut up

4 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 10:52am On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

looool.. The mere fact that you are so combative and insultive about facts of history is very telling.

^^ As you can see even the cotton akwete women wove with was imported because cotton would not grow naturally in a place like Akwete.

Yoruba clothing history is way more extensive and older than anything from igboland, don't let me disgrace you here with books of real life accounts (which you so hungrily crave for) of what writers of yore met in igboland.
"Disgrace me?" what are you waiting for? Bring it on.

It is quite a shame that you Yorubas sedentary lifestyle of not travelling much also reflect in your reading. You don't read past outside the lies you deceive yourselves with about yourself in your backwards region.
The level illiteracy and ignorance about other nations in Yorubaland is quite alarming. I doubt there is a single Yoruba man that knows shit about their neighbours talkless of those of entirely different culture like Ndigbo.

You might need to have a word with Captain Hugh Crow on Igbo not having cotton and making cotton clothes

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 11:33am On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

looool.. The mere fact that you are so combative and insultive about facts of history is very telling.
.... if your thinking was not upside down, you would know that all Sub saharan African ethnic groups used animal skins as forms of ceremonial garb. Yorubas would occasionally use animal skins in things like ceremonial functions, that much is not new.... but trust me, the weaving of cotton and other typically savannah crops got to the Yorubas before it did the igbos.
And to say Yoruba had only things like leopard skin as clothing shows how much you have to learn still.
Your first paragraph answered your last confusion.
The bottom line of both is that Cloth is not indigenous to Yorubas. You didn't think it out, you copied and you have already accepted that it was from the Sahara. So unlike You Yorubas, trans Saharan trade wasn't obvious in Igboland, so we didn't get anything from the Sahel.
Now who came from the Sahara to Nigeria?
Answer is Fulani.

You posted picture of Burkinabe Fulani (which you think was taken in sudan grin) in typical pan-sudanic clothing shared by several groups and ascribe it to the creation of Fulas...lol. You don't even know that typical Fulanis were only very scantily dressed. Till today nomadic fulani are still barely covered.... some of their people with limited contact with civilizing groups still move about with b*o0bs out.

This is what Google lens to people.
So you saw "du mossi" and you are still confused. This is about history and appropriate names are used.
Please ask someone to tell you what "French Soudan" is.

Old Oyo was in the savannah plains right with the Nupe, Bariba, Songhay, and further afield; Hausa and Mali areas you mentioned, and of course there was cultural diffusion and many aspect of shared similarity, who is denying that? Lmao That is how civilization and spread of ideas work in a typical world. So, while the earliest form of the agbada style may have been developed somewhere in the sahara desert, I haven't come across any peer reviewed article that categorically states the ethnicity that developed it.... and that style today is as Nupe as it is Yoruba or Fula...... except of course each group (most especially the Yorubas) have domesticated it even further and adapted it to something uniquely theirs.... But one thing is sure, it is NEVER Igbo, and yet you lots wear it, which only proves the thread OP right!
This right here ends the discussion. What else to argue when you already accepted that none of those clothes are indigenous to yorubas but came as a result of Saharan influence which I stated.
I also stated where it came from and the Yoruba groups that first has that contact which is Ilorin from Nupe and Fulani. Aso oke was Fulani and the other buba styled is Nupe.
One thing I will like you to understand is that the Saharan baban Riga which you Yorubas call Agbada's origin is known worldwide. It is from Tuaregs/Berbers of Maghreb. The cloth was designed to withstand desert storm. Put it as a cloth + tenth. Some Igbo politicians started wearing it after our forced inclusion to Nigeria. Unlike you shameless people, we don't claim what is not ours.

Now to the question of diffusion of Aso olona styles from the Ijebu riverine areas into the east... there are plenty of scholarly articles for you to go read about it.... not blog posts like you keep yapping. If it massages your ego to keep thinking that it idn't happen , all well and good.... But what the OP said is something I have noticed to be indeed true. In a typical Igbo event, you will see cut and join culture from all over Nigeria, Europe and the Americas.... from European walking sticks and trousers to East Asian batiks, damasks, velvets and other fabric, to North African Maghrebi and Ottoman fez hats, to European styled crowns and fashion canes to European introduced hats to Edo styles to Yoruba styles to everything basically. .... Anyways, borrowing is not a crime.
Now this part is the comedy designed to end your confusion with laughter grin.
You have scholarly articles but you keep on posting your blogs. You don't actually need blogs to prove anything if you know what you are saying.
If, I repeat "if" the Aso oke Fulani brought to Yorubas later on got to Igbo, then Igboland would have been included in trans Saharan trade route, but No, it isn't. So you see my dear Yoruba man, you can't wish things into existence. If you have seen and felt Akwete before, you won't be having this confusion. The only people that introduced things to the other is Igbo to Yorubas. One typical example is blacksmithing which helped reduce the reliance on Nupe and very inaccessible/unreliable ones from fellow Yorubas.
Finally, the acclaimed fez hat. I believe you were the one I cured his ignorance in one thread like that. Igbo red hats have always been there with the Ọzọ society, the only thing that changed is material.
One of your fellow ignoramus claimed it was introduced for warrant chiefs in early 1900s but the slave traders and early Europeans saw and recorded it in 1800s. We also have bronze masks of 9th century depicting it as well.

8 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 11:55am On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:
This guy must be very silly I swear....

The obi of Onitsha and the other Aniomas must have copied their dressing from this Fulani boy on the left.... How dare he wear an inner shirt and throw fabric across his shoulder... grin Both of them even have brass ornaments on their arms close to the elbow.... damn copy cats!! cheesy
They say great civilisation think alike but the main aim of the picture is about the materials. Unlike you, Ndigbo didn't have any single contact with Fulani until Nigeria was established.
Putting cloth halfway across the shoulders is an ancient way of dressing which Ndigbo as well as Greeks, Romans,, Berbers, the Amharas of Ethiopia, Jews, Massai of Kenya and other impressive civilisations share.
Yorubas can't be out in the same line with these great civilisations because you don't even wear clothes.

That Obi of Onitsha dressing is a proof of great civilisation (Igbo, Greek, Romans etc) thinking alike

9 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 1:03pm On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

"Disgrace me?" what are you waiting for? Bring it on.

It is quite a shame that you Yorubas sedentary lifestyle of not travelling much also reflect in your reading. You don't read past outside the lies you deceive yourselves with about yourself in your backwards region.
The level illiteracy and ignorance about other nations in Yorubaland is quite alarming. I doubt there is a single Yoruba man that knows shit about their neighbours talkless of those of entirely different culture like Ndigbo.

You might need to have a word with Captain Hugh Crow on Igbo not having cotton and making cotton clothes

lol. I said in Akwete which is the exact location in discourse, you are posting an 1800s voyage of a European writing about the whole of igboland....

He even says Yorubas were naked...lmao... is this how to be naked in your books?

[img]http:///65535/51878933471_133f65503f_z.jpg[/img]

I won't waste my time arguing with you, I can see you have a penchant for avoiding main points, lying and diverting the discussion elsewhere. I post links to University websites, and you keep calling them "Yoruba blogs" to keep yourself happy. To me, a discussion with you will lead to nothing but more lies... I had to go look at some of your previous cloud 9 threads. LMAO.

Continue posting colorized pictures of scantily dressed Aniomas from the 1900s like say na one kain ancient image.... You go dey alright las las. wink

And OP said you guys are cultural vultures, you are typing rubbish as if he lied. grin

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 1:14pm On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

They say great civilisation think alike but the main aim of the picture is about the materials. Unlike you, Ndigbo didn't have any single contact with Fulani until Nigeria was established.
Putting cloth halfway across the shoulders is an ancient way of dressing which Ndigbo as well as Greeks, Romans,, Berbers, the Amharas of Ethiopia, Jews, Massai of Kenya and other impressive civilisations share.
Yorubas can't be out in the same line with these great civilisations because you don't even wear clothes.

That Obi of Onitsha dressing is a proof of great civilisation (Igbo, Greek, Romans etc) thinking alike

Ohhh, so The Fulanis that showed up in Yorubaland in late 1700s or later introduced clothing to Yorubas who had been weaving and dyeing for eras before then (for some weird reason you seem to think a race of nomad herders were busy innovating and introducing weaving to others), Meanwhile, The igalas that colonized northern igboland and civilized them from at least the 16th century brought nothing. grin or were they naked savages too?
Your standards are so double edged.,... but not that I am surprised.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 2:01pm On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

lol. I said in Akwete which is the exact location in discourse, you are posting an 1800s voyage of a European writing about the whole of igboland....

He even says Yorubas were naked...lmao... is this how to be naked in your books?

[img]http:///65535/51878933471_133f65503f_z.jpg[/img]

I won't waste my time arguing with you, I can see you have a penchant for avoiding main points, lying and diverting the discussion elsewhere. I post links to University websites, and you keep calling them "Yoruba blogs" to keep yourself happy. To me, a discussion with you will lead to nothing but more lies... I had to go look at some of your previous cloud 9 threads. LMAO.

Continue posting colorized pictures of scantily dressed Aniomas from the 1900s like say na one kain ancient image.... You go dey alright las las. wink

And OP said you guys are cultural vultures, you are typing rubbish as if he lied. grin
If you have an atom of knowledge in history, you would have known that Akwete is the name of the town that manufactures the cloth

You post links to "university websites". You must be talking of the same university website like Ibadan press that published Alagoas fake history.
Yorubas are known for lies and this discussion is a proof.

There is a big difference between historic records and articles. The latter can't supercede or stand when the first is presented.

As for that artifact you posted as maybe your last surviving chance of being alive in the argument, you should have imagined what my reply will be.
You can compare with the Ikenga from Northern Igboland below

Whenever Ndigbo are talking about history, innovation, and ancient civilisations, you Yorubas should keep shut and lower your heads. We are not mate, we initiate while you people are influenced by others

11 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 2:12pm On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

If you have an atom of knowledge in history, you would have known that Akwete is the name of the town that manufactures the cloth

You post links to "university websites". You must be talking of the same university website like Ibadan press that published Alagoas fake history.
Yorubas are known for lies and this discussion is a proof.

There is a big difference between historic records and articles. The latter can't supercede or stand when the first is presented.

As for that artifact you post as maybe your last surviving chance of being alive in the argument, you should have imagined what my reply will be.
You can compare with the Ikenga below

Whenever Ndigbo are talking about history, innovation, and ancient civilisations, you Yorubas should keep shut and lower your heads. We are not mate, we initiate while you people are influenced by others

Yes Akwete is the town and that is exactly why I was talking about the place called Akwete and how they became contract weavers for Ijaws who liked the Yoruba textiles traded with them. Have I stated otherwise or are you just thick? Lmao.

University of Iowa is now a blog.
Alive in what argument you have absolutely no points, this is AM comedy.... But I get it, you need to make up for a lot..... your threads with superlative titles says all I need to know.... you've been lying from page 1 and continue lying only to say some people"lie a lot", even claiming "some igbo politicians" started wearing agbada-like styles out of 'forced inclusion in nigeria' ... Who forced these igbo people to wear agbada?

[img]http:///65535/51879215996_98d5977b6a.jpg[/img].[img]http:///65535/51879291913_682d032ea6.jpg[/img]

Your long texts won't save you from that inner emptiness...

Btw.... what's special about that contemporary wooden ikenga?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 2:26pm On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

Yes Akwete is the town and that is exactly why I was talking about the place called Akwete and how they became contract weavers for Ijaws who liked the Yoruba textiles traded with them. Have I stated otherwise or are you just thick? Lmao.

University of Iowa is now a blog.
Alive in what argument you have absolutely no points, this is AM comedy.... But I get it, you need to make up for a lot..... your threads with superlative titles says all I need to know.... you've been lying from page 1 and continue lying only to say some people"lie a lot", even claiming "some igbo politicians" started wearing agbada-like styles out of 'forced inclusion in nigeria' ... your long texts won't save you from that inner emptiness...

Btw.... what's special about that contemporary wooden ikenga?
LOL @ your ignorance. "contract weaver for Ijaws" lol.
Is it the ijaws that were under Aboh and Aro jurisdictions?
Not only "University of Lowa" but Iyowa. You people are too funny. You think attaching "University" to the back of fraudulent work makes it authentic?
This was exactly what you tried with University of Ibadan. Once it is not first person report or from extensive proven archaeological research. It is just propaganda.

You asked what is special in the Ikenga? If it wasn't special, you wouldn't have said such. It literally reduced your Yoruba artifact to work of simple people when placed side by side.

BTW, are you talking about these ijaws?

8 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 2:55pm On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

LOL @ your ignorance. "contract weaver for Ijaws" lol.
Is it the ijaws that are under Aboh and Aro jurisdictions?
Not only "University of Lowa" but Iyowa. You people are too funny. You think attaching "University" to the back of fraudulent work makes it authentic?
This was exactly what you tried with University of Ibadan. Once it is not first person report or from extensive proven archaeological research. It is just propaganda.

BTW, are you talking about these ijaws?

Goodness me! your understanding is quite shallow.
So "contract weavers" is what unhinged you to go off on another tangent? loool... You have issues o abi you don't know what patronage entails? Isn't this esteem issues oozing out like this....

[img]http:///65535/51878100247_9f34dcf637_b.jpg[/img]
Igbo Women and Economic Transformation in Southeastern ... - Page 68; Gloria chuku, 2005

[img]http:///65535/51879072436_bdff155716_b.jpg[/img]
Akwete Weaving: A Study of Change in Response to the Palm oil trade.. Lisa Aronson 1982

[img]http:///65535/51879720025_436f4899ba_b.jpg[/img]
Textiles of Africa - Page 97, Dale Idiens, ‎Kenneth G. Ponting · 1980

[img]http:///65535/51879095316_f5bbf77a56_b.jpg[/img]
Cloth as Metaphor: Nigerian Textiles from the Museum of ... - Page 54
Jean Borgatti, ‎University of California, Los Angeles. Museum of Cultural History

[img]http:///65535/51879394284_f9509a0455_b.jpg[/img]
Jean Borgatti, ‎University of California, Los Angeles. Museum of Cultural History

[img]http:///65535/51879161008_5f2d3e40e9_b.jpg[/img]
Ebiegberi Joe Alagoa, ‎Tekena N. Tamuno · 1989 Land and People of Nigeria: Rivers State - Page 108

Chei, Yorubas have corrupted various sources online with Lagos-Ibadan media lies ooo. How vile can these people be that they are making Igbos, Europeans and Ijaws write lies about history like this.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 3:00pm On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

You asked what is special in the Ikenga? If it wasn't special, you wouldn't have said such. It literally reduced your Yoruba artifact to work of simple people when placed side by side.

You be proper clown, so some carved Ikenga wood from sometime shortly before independence is what you are comparing with an African art classic in the same calibre as Egypt?
So you think there aren't countless pieces of carved work from Yorubaland with even more astounding intricacy and with far older chronological stamps from Yorubaland or what? Is that how shallow your history is?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:05pm On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

Goodness me! your understanding is quite shallow.
So "contract weavers" is what unhinged you to go off on another tangent? loool... You have issues o abi you don't know what patronage entails? Isn't this esteem issues oozing out like this....

[img]http:///65535/51878100247_9f34dcf637_b.jpg[/img]
Igbo Women and Economic Transformation in Southeastern ... - Page 68; Gloria chuku, 2005

[img]http:///65535/51879072436_bdff155716_b.jpg[/img]
Akwete Weaving: A Study of Change in Response to the Palm oil trade.. Lisa Aronson 1982

[img]http:///65535/51879720025_436f4899ba_b.jpg[/img]
Textiles of Africa - Page 97, Dale Idiens, ‎Kenneth G. Ponting · 1980

[img]http:///65535/51879095316_f5bbf77a56_b.jpg[/img]
Cloth as Metaphor: Nigerian Textiles from the Museum of ... - Page 54

[img]http:///65535/51879394284_f9509a0455_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/51879161008_5f2d3e40e9_b.jpg[/img]
Ebiegberi Joe Alagoa, ‎Tekena N. Tamuno · 1989 Land and People of Nigeria: Rivers State - Page 108

Chei, Yorubas have corrupted various sources online with Lagos-Ibadan media lies ooo. How vile can these people be that they are making Igbos, Europeans and Ijaws write lies about history like this.

LOL. All your articles started from 1980
You Yorubas are deeply Shameless. One thing is to propose and another is to defend. Until today did you know that your ancestors original clothing was animal skin?

Now you want to use your articles of 1980 upwards after the fall of Eastern Region to revise the history of first impression by the Europeans that dates 1800s

The history from the Europeans like I posted stated clearly of indigenous Igbo textiles and neighbouring nations to Igboland getting their textiles from there but from 1980, driven by inferiority complex Yorubas have made it a point of duty to link Igbo textiles to what they borrowed from Fulani

"Ijaw brought cloth making to Akwete" but Hugh Crow that spent over two decades (20 years) in Bonny never saw such.
Yorubas sef. Using your own lies and other revision as source. Mtcheww...

8 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:08pm On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

You be proper clown, so some carved Ikenga wood from sometime shortly before independence is what you are comparing with an African art classic?
So you think there aren't countless pieces of carved work from Yorubaland with even more astounding intricacy and with far older chronological stamps from Yorubaland or what? Is that how shallow your history is?
LOL. None knows stupidity like a Yoruba man that is hunting to rewrite other people's accomplishment in a bid to have a stake in it.
You people once claim that you have the oldest artifact until carbon dating proved that the oldest bronze in Southern Nigeria is from Igbo-Ukwu. Although ignoramuses like you will still doubt for noisemaking sake.

Those with little intelligence like your Ooni confirmed that Igbo is far older than all of you

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 3:13pm On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

LOL. None knows stupidity like a Yoruba man that is hunting to rewrite other people's accomplishment in a bid to have a stake in it.
You people once claim that you have the oldest artifact until carbon dating proved that the oldest bronze in Southern Nigeria is from Igbo-Ukwu. Although ignoramuses like you will still doubt for noisemaking sake.

lol, carbon dating of Igbo ukwu works are still highly contended and controversial in academic circles because of the methods employed but that is a story for another time. You still can't prove that Igbo ukwu is older than ife, even with the 9th century ascribed to igbo ukwu artefact.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 3:15pm On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

LOL. All articles started from 1980
You Yorubas are deeply Shameless.

Now you want to use your articles of 1980 upwards after the fall of Eastern Region to revise the history of first impression by the Europeans that dates 1800s

The history from the Europeans like I posted stated clearly of indigenous Igbo textiles and neighbouring nations to Igboland getting their textiles from there but from 1980, driven by inferiority complex Yorubas have made it a point of duty to link Igbo textiles to what they borrowed from Fulani

coming from someone posting pictures from the same 1900s to prove a certain point, this is very rich.
So first impression of Europeans said Ijebu designs didn't come through ijaw intermediaries into Ndoki land. SMH..!

8 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:17pm On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

lol, carbon dating of Igbo ukwu works are still highly contended and controversial in academic circles because of the methods employed but that is a story for another time. You still can't prove that Igbo ukwu is older than ife, even with the 9th century ascribed to igbo ukwu artefact.
Lets finish with your confusion on Igbo textiles first before I reconstruct you on bronzes.
So tell me why Capt Hugh Crow that spent 20+ years in Bonny and Niger Delta never met this mysterious Ijaw people that sold clothes to Ndigbo but documented Igbo indigenous textiles?

Was it after 1980 that the ghosts of those mysterious Ijaws started directing the revisionist that sought to link Igbo achievements to Yoruba pathetic borrowed uniforms?

9 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:22pm On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

coming from someone posting pictures from the same 1900s to prove a certain point, this is very rich.
So first impression of Europeans said Ijebu designs didn't come through ijaw intermediaries into Ndoki land. SMH..!
None recorded of anything of such nature moving from Ijaw to Igboland but the reverse.
And yes I post early 1900s because it is reports that supercedes your revision.
Even if you doubt it, the pictures from there resets your brain.

One thing about you Yorubas is that recorded history prior to late 1900s scare the shit out of you.
At the beginning of the thread you argued that Agbada and Aso oke were indigenous to you. Along the line after seeing the real pictures of your ancestors you dropped it. Now you want us to believe that after 1980 you discovered that your ancestors sent imaginary art of textiles through Ijaw to Igbo. The same Igbo that neutral people saw making their own clothes in 1800s when in early 1900s, your people are wearing Animal skin.
History revision make you people appear like fools

9 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 3:28pm On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

Lets finish with your confusion on Igbo textiles first before I reconstruct you on bronzes.
So tell me why Capt Hugh Crow that spent 20+ years in Bonny and Niger Delta never met this mysterious Ijaw people that sold clothes to Ndigbo but documented Igbo indigenous textiles?

Was it after 1980 that the ghosts of those mysterious Ijaws started directing the revisionist that sought to link Igbo achievements to Yoruba pathetic borrowed uniforms?

Oh wow, Hugh Crow spent 20+ years in Bonny but Never mentioned everything about Ijaws trading with Ijebu because he is all knowing but several other sources from other European talk about Long standing trade in fabrics between Ijebus, Itsekiris and Ijaws...... How confusing that must be for you shocked

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:31pm On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

Oh wow, Hugh Crow spent 20+ years in Bonny but Never mentioned everything about Ijaws trading with Ijebu because he is all knowing but several other sources from other European talk about Long standing trade in fabrics between Ijebus, Itsekiris and Ijaws...... How confusing that must be for you shocked
Fabrics in Itsekiri was from Bini.
Ijaw that traded with Yoruba is those (that calls themselves Ijaw) around present day Ondo axis but those in Rivers and Delta were under Aro and Aboh jurisdiction respectively.

BTW, who exactly are you referring to as Ijaw?

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 3:33pm On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

Fabrics in Itsekiri was from Bini.
Ijaw that traded with Yoruba is those (that calls themselves Ijaw) around present day Ondo axis but those in Rivers and Delta were under Aro and Aboh jurisdiction respectively.

BTW, who exactly are you referring to as Ijaw?

lol...i'm done with you.
Peace.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:36pm On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

lol...i'm done with you.
Peace.
E don finally shock you.
This is what my superior reasoning do to history revisionists. It sends them running.

No come and answer the question. Tell us who you are referring to as Ijaw?

Bringing revisions of 1980 upwards to contest of facts and logic.

One last advice "You see those revisions you Yorubas are fooling yourselves with? It will be the doom of your nation"

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by scholes0(m): 3:37pm On Feb 13, 2022
BKayy:

E don finally shock you.
This is what my superior reasoning do to history revisionists. It sends them running.

No come and answer the question. Tell us who you are referring to as Ijaw?

Bringing revisions of 1980 upwards to contest of facts and logic.

One last advice "You see those revisions you Yorubas are fooling yourselves with? It will be the doom of your nation"

Okay??.??
I have posted the leads here for those who genuinely want to read and find out more, so my work is done. The best thing about threads like this is those who come to read.
Mr doom predictor lol.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 4:27pm On Feb 13, 2022
scholes0:

Okay??.??
I have posted the leads here for those who genuinely want to read and find out more, so my work is done. The best thing about threads like this is those who come to read.
Mr doom predictor lol.
My dear let me help you say the truth because you are scared of it.
The truth is that you are running away after discovering that you have no reasonable other basis to extend the argument. What you were doing since is to extend not to convince, probably to justify your first boast of disgracing me.

This is why they say one shouldn't be sure of victory if he doesn't know who he is facing. When it comes to debates like this, I don't have doubts because I know the opponent and know my own history and like Napoleon said "if you know thyself and know the enemy, you shouldn't be scared of the result of a thousand battle"

Since beginning of this thread, all you tried to do was justify the revisions which were designed as propaganda to crush the spirit of Ndigbo and effect inclusion into Nigeria after the fall of Eastern Region.

We know them. I have seen them before. I have challenged and debunked them time without numbers but you as well as many Yorubas see them as fact. Some of you are already seeing it for what they are which is propaganda and as such never engages any Igbo man with good knowledge of history on them.

So far, you tried to justify the fallacies that
1. Ndigbo had no indegenous cloth and I presented statement from one the first white men that visited Northern Igboland. Showing that Ndigbo have various indigenous cloth besides Akwete.
2. Igbo red cap came after European contact/Turkey and I presented Igbo bronze mask dating centuries before whites contact and also accompanying similar pictures they captured which are of kids rocking the same type of red cap at Onicha Olona
3. There was no cotton in Igboland and as such no proof of cotton cloth then I provided testament from Captain Hugh Crow who testified of seeing indigenous Igbo cotton clothes prior to Colonialism.
4. Akwete got cloth making through contact with Ijaw which by extension is from Ijebu ode and I gave you testament from Ijaw people themselves proving Aro dominance of which through them Akwete clothes got to their generations
5. Yoruba owned indigenous cloth and I presented with proof of where Aso oke and Agbada came from which surprisingly you accepted after some dragging. After which I presented your native clothing which involved animal skin.

What broke the camels back was when I asked you to provide the names of the people you call Ijaws and you realising that it will render your entire revision useless took to your heels.

As you can see, there is a big difference between report and revision which most of the times come in the form of articles.

Let me tell something, Yorubas are not the first to try to claim origin of Akwete. The British did by claiming it was from India. They have articles about that littered the Internet so yours isn't as sophisticated as those I have faced.

Goodluck and stop lying.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by bomb24: 9:25pm On Feb 13, 2022
Bkayy onye-oma!
u never fail to deliver.

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Jameseddi1: 11:27pm On Feb 13, 2022
Benin colonized Ebo and some part of Yoruba this clothes might be gotten from Benin as Yoruba and Ebo was naked before
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Igboid: 12:15am On Feb 14, 2022
The Igbo Character in Written History (I)
H. H. Johnston, on the 12th of November 1888, described the Igbos to the Royal Geographical Society of Britain thus:
“The Ibo country is densely populated. Their towns are of a very distinct character, with rectangular houses well-built of clay and thatch, interspersed among groups of magnificent trees, which are purposely preserved and cultivated by the citizens. Among these are noticeable Dracaenas of great height, with red trunks and dark green spiky fir-like foliage.
The Ibo towns are never crowded, each house or little group of houses standing by itself in an independent compound. The open spaces in the town are kept scrupulously clean, being frequently swept with brooms made out of twigs and palm-fronds, which are industriously plied by the boys and youths who keep the town in order. In the vicinity of this settlement, there are dense groves of the oil-palm, and thriving plantations of maize, yams, beans, and colocasia arums.
The Ibos are exceedingly industrious people. They weave grass-cloth, and display a very marked aesthetic taste in the designing of their implements and textile fabrics, and in the interior decoration of their houses, in all of which, and in their social arrangements, they are greatly superior to the degraded coast tribes, who seem to have lost their ancient culture.
They are clever smiths, and make a good many implements from the iron which they smelt themselves from the soil, in their primitive forges.
The Ibos I look upon as the promising tribe of the delta. It is they, at present, who create the trade ; Ijos and Kwos - their neighbours on the south and west - are but middlemen, non- producers.
The Ibos are industrious agriculturists, and have fine herds of cattle, goats, and sheep, and quantities of fowls and ducks.”

Reference
Johnston, H. H. (1888). The Niger Delta. Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society and Monthly Record of Geography, 10(12), 749–763. https://doi.org/10.2307/1801065

10 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Igboid: 12:16am On Feb 14, 2022
����������� �� ������ ( �������) �� � ������� �������� �� 1880
The town extends over a space of more than, half a mile, scattered over with houses, the walls of which are made of hardened sand, of a very red hue, which indicates the existence of numerous beds of iron. Long alleys and well-trodden paths separate the various groups of huts from each other. I counted more than fifty, and each group seems to form a little village. The total population of Onitsha may be eatimated at 15,000 ; the people are active and industrious ; everywhere there are plantations of maize, yams, and bananas ; the palms are carefully pruned, and the cotton-trees or bombax are well cultivated. The natives recognise their value. They clean their cotton, spin it, and weave it on primitive and very simple looms, which they have no doubt learnt the use of from the caravans. But though fabricated at a great expense of time and patience, the cloths they make have, perhaps, greater solidity and durability than our cottons. Before spinning the thread they die it with indigo, which grows wild among them. As there is no occasion to economise it, they use only the heart of the shoot, and thus obtain a blue which can compare advantageously with our dyes.

ADOLPHE BURDO 1849-1891.
The Niger And The Benueh,Travel in Central Africa.
An officer in the Belgian army who made a trip to central Africa in 1879 and went up to the Niger to its junction with the Benue. On his return he published the book: The Niger and The Benue.

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Igboid: 12:21am On Feb 14, 2022
What the Igbo accomplished in precolonial NIGERIA, no Nigerian group can compare to it.

Not even their envy, jealousy or bitterness can erase the accomplishment of our Igbo ancestors!
We have to be grateful to the white men for keeping records of these events.

9 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Igboid: 12:30am On Feb 14, 2022
Bkayy.
You are right in your argument of many groups including the British trying to lay claim to our local textile industry.
Notice the Belgian above was so fascinated with our local textile industry that hf ignorantly assumed we got our local weaving looms and industry from "the Caravans" which I take to mean from the Trans Sahara trade. He struggled to understand that an Indigenous African group were capable of such feats without influence from the Caucasians ( Arabs or Europeans).

But we all know this is false. Because Ndiigbo never engaged in Trans Sahara trade, and the Igalas who did who we had contact with, had no local textile industry as sophisticated as ours. They( the Igalas) depended on us for their local textiles when they are not buying from their trans Sahara trade route.

Our ancestors were truly a special breed of people.
This was also how they( the Caucasians) had nightmares understanding how an Indigenous African ethnic group were capable of producing such sophisticated arts as found in Igbo ukwu.
Even with Nri people describing the names and use of every single item found in the excavation site at Igbo ukwu, by Ancient Igbos. Many Europeans are still in awe.

Igbo di egwu, di omimi ma dikwa ebube.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Emir Of Bahrain With His Robot Bodyguard / Whats The Eglish Meaning Of Ekule / Can I Learn Esan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.