Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,856 members, 7,813,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire (11331 Views)

See The Traditional Attire Of Kuteb People / Important Things You Should Know About The Igbo Traditional Wedding / Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 3:21pm On Feb 15, 2022
BKayy:

The oldest Iron site in Nigeria is in "Lejja, Enugu state".
https://www.journalajst.com/geophysical-investigations-locating-buried-iron-slag-lejja-southern-nigeria
It even made news in 2018
https://thingsnigeria.com/2018/02/14/lejja-the-worlds-oldest-iron-smelting-site-in-nigeria/

I doubt there is any Yoruba that actually research

Enugu news and Nigerian journalists. I doubt that there is any igbos that actually research. The most important iron sites is in Yoruba land, Ife ,and the first to actually usher an iron age. And that my friend, is why Yoruba ancient art is more well known. On that same page.
https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/iron/hd_iron.htm

And you have been shifting the topic, which is copying other ethnicities clothing

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 6:41pm On Feb 15, 2022
Saukruat:

Enugu news and Nigerian journalists. I doubt that there is any igbos that actually research. The most important iron sites is in Yoruba land, Ife ,and the first to actually usher an iron age. And that my friend, is why Yoruba ancient art is more well known. On that same page.
https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/iron/hd_iron.htm

And you have been shifting the topic, which is copying other ethnicities clothing
LOL. We are talking about facts and you are bringing folktales of "Ogun discovering Iron"
Yorubas are pathetic

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 6:49pm On Feb 15, 2022
Saukruat:

Low iq and Inferiority complex is affecting you. You have lost the plot, are you arguing against traditional braided Yoruba hairstyles now too, shuku, Didi, koroba, irun Kiko, patewo, Omole gogoro, Ipako Elede, etc. They wore several hairstyles, including that too and also head dress called Gele. Like I said, don't project. There are pictures Ashanti women with buns doesn't mean they didn't do other hairstyles. You need to take yout drugs fam.
You don't worth a dirth on my shoe.

I wonder why you people are ashamed of your ancestors. It's like the shame blocks every reasoning that you can't even notice the date in the pictures you are masquerading as them.
First I pointed out the one of 1957 clothing. Now 2000 hairstyle as your ancestor of 1800

I don't know why you are struggling. Is the shame that deep? Or what? I don't understand.
The pictures have date tags. Just look at them

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 9:26am On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

You don't worth a dirth on my shoe.

I wonder why you people are ashamed of your ancestors. It's like the shame blocks every reasoning that you can't even notice the date in the pictures you are masquerading as them.
First I pointed out the one of 1957 clothing. Now 2000 hairstyle as your ancestor of 1800

I don't know why you are struggling. Is the shame that deep? Or what? I don't understand.
The pictures have date tags. Just look at them

I've posted several pictures from the 1800's and from the early 1900s too, which you choose to ignore. You're just an idiot, you have no point so you are trying your hardest to cope whichever way you can. And you can't even spell, what a dunce, "dirth". And that one picture was commissioned in 2000 but was taken in the 60's as apart of a visual art series, ode. There was no camera in the 1700s so I can't go further back. Meanwhile you can't post anything of your people rotflmao.

Some of the pictures from the 1800's that I posted

3 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 9:35am On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

LOL. We are talking about facts and you are bringing folktales of "Ogun discovering Iron"
Yorubas are pathetic

Igbos like yourself are pathetic, I'm talking all facts, you are talking about Palm wine drinkers and ugu eaters of Enugu's dating. And stick to the topic which is as not stealing from other cultures outfits.

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 1:15pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

That is where they will be disgraced like that fake Oyo calvary.
Yorubas don't even have indigenous clothing but most of them here don't know.
Like the OP bundarina, most of them swallowed the fake things their dubious blogs and fake historical books fed them whole but God/Nature has a way of doing things.

She (Nature) makes them to jump into arguments like this so that they will be exposed and helped to reconnect to their roots (Their original history and culture that they are running from).

In matters like this, I present evidences that makes them realise that those books have been deceiving them all along. For example, the picture below, just one have already summarised who clothed Yorubas and where the cloth came from. The picture is of Sudanese Fulani. You can see Aso oke, Aso whatever and other names they call them in one picture.

lol this is Yoruba in the 1800s .... already fully clothed.

What are you talking'bout bro?

3 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 1:20pm On Feb 16, 2022
Saukruat:

Igbos like yourself are pathetic, I'm talking all facts, you are talking about Palm wine drinkers and ugu eaters of Enugu's dating. And stick to the topic which is as not stealing from other cultures outfits.

You dey mind am?
No be only fulani Aso-oke, na Fulani kijipa and Alaari......

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 2:01pm On Feb 16, 2022
Saukruat:

I've posted several pictures from the 1800's and from the early 1900s too, which you choose to ignore. You're just an idiot, you have no point so you are trying your hardest to cope whichever way you can. And you can't even spell, what a dunce, "dirth". And that one picture was commissioned in 2000 but was taken in the 60's as apart of a visual art series, ode. There was no camera in the 1700s so I can't go further back. Meanwhile you can't post anything of your people rotflmao.

Some of the pictures from the 1800's that I posted
@ Emboldened, look at who is talking about spelling, starting a sentence with "and"
Mtcheww... So it has reached to the extent of policing another man's language. You guys are the most pathetic. No single dignity, Nothing.

Oga your pictures have their dates stamped to it. The oldest there is 1950.

If, I repeat "IF" Ndigbo are as Shameless as Yorubas, we would be posting pictures like the one below when asked of our traditional clothing. We would claim it is 100% Igbo when in reality it is a mixture of Igbo, Western (British) and Sahel.

This picture of Obi Okposi is actually older than the one of Alaafin and his wives rocking Chinese hairstyles.

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 2:06pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourNemesis:

lol this is Yoruba in the 1800s .... already fully clothed.

What are you talking'bout bro?
Fully clothed after contact with Fulani is a big achievement to you lots.

Look at how our ancestors roll in the 9th century, which is about 300 years before proof of life in Yorubaland.

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 2:13pm On Feb 16, 2022
Saukruat:

Stop starting a sentence with "and" if you want to continue living up to your inferior status to English people.

What you saw in that my comment might be the fact that will differentiate you from the dimwits gobbling Ewedu in Yorubaland. It is a proven archaeological research with results.
Whether you like it or not, Ogun and Obatala kids stories are not used in any academic discussion. It is just stories for kids. Stories conjured by Yorubas to deceive themselves alone. So keep that in mind when talking about "oldest this and that"

The oldest Iron site in Nigeria is Lejja in Enugu state. If you have any archaeological evidence to justify your childish story bring it on not fooling yourself with kids stories. Everybody isn't as dumb as you people.

Last but not the least, who made you inferiors the fashion police of Eastern region? Or has any "other ethnic" group complained of Igbo appropriating their clothing? Or do you have proof that Igbo ever appropriated any cloth?
Or can you differentiate Igbo clothing from Ibibio and Efik?

These few questions already explains the stupidity in Yorubaland. You guys are simple dying in inferiority to the native Igbo magnificent clothing.

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 2:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

Look at how our ancestors roll in the 9th century, which is about 300 years before proof of life in Yorubaland.

lol 9th century AD is 300 before proof of life in Yorubaland, yet Ife already had paved streets and a system of paved roads in 8th century, shioor....

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2639678_ileifepavement_jpeg4048c2b71ec0ea00ffa926ca15636dfa

Check out Carbon 14 (C14) dates) of some ife artefacts before you say such nonsense next time.

[img]http:///65535/51886026025_d72e15d345_z.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///65535/51886026225_515668f4be_b.jpg[/img]

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 2:28pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

Stop starting a sentence with "and" if you want to continue living up to your inferior status to English people.

What you saw in that my comment might be the fact that will differentiate you from the dimwits gobbling Ewedu in Yorubaland. It is a proven archaeological research with results.
Whether you like it or not, Ogun and Obatala kids stories are not used in any academic discussion. It is just stories for kids. Stories conjured by Yorubas to deceive themselves alone. So keep that in mind when talking about "oldest this and that"

The oldest Iron site in Nigeria is Lejja in Enugu state. If you have any archaeological evidence to justify your childish story bring it on not fooling yourself with kids stories. Everybody isn't as dumb as you people.

Last but not the least, who made you inferiors the fashion police of Eastern region? Or has any "other ethnic" group complained of Igbo appropriating their clothing? Or do you have proof that Igbo ever appropriated any cloth?
Or can you differentiate Igbo clothing from Ibibio and Efik?

These few questions already explains the stupidity in Yorubaland. You guys are simple dying in inferiority to the native Igbo magnificent clothing.

LOL!

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 2:30pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourNemesis:

lol 9th century is 300 before proof of life in Yorubaland when Ife already had paved streets and a system of paved roads in 8th century....

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2639678_ileifepavement_jpeg4048c2b71ec0ea00ffa926ca15636dfa
Hahahahaha. Nobody is as funny as a Yoruba man that wants to claim old.

Oga the oldest thing from Yoruba is the copper artworks from 12th century.
Very soon you will post acclaimed streetlights of 6th century.

4 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 2:33pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourNemesis:

LOL!
Igbo Bronze Ofo.

You see the resemblance?
There is a reason why I ignored the Bini ignoramus that was blabbing here because I believe he doesn't know anything about Bini.

In as much as I prefer Ndigbo go with a more distinct attire, that attire you now call Bini has roots from Igboland.

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 2:37pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

1800s Yorubaland.

4 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 2:38pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourNemesis:

1800s Yorubaland.
Nope. That is mid 20th century

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 2:41pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

Igbo Bronze Ofo.

You see the resemblance?
There is a reason why I ignored the Bini ignoramus that was blabbing here because I believe he doesn't know anything about Bini.

In as much as I prefer Ndigbo go with a more distinct attire, that attire you now call Bini has roots from Igboland.

I don't see the similarity.
And what is the date for the ovo figurine you posted? This looks like a modern era artwork to me bro... let's be real.
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 2:42pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

Nope. That is mid 20th century

More Yoruba from the 1800s

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 2:47pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

Hahahahaha. Nobody as funny as Yoruba man that wants to claim old.

Oga the oldest thing from Yoruba is the copper artworks from 12th century.
Very soon you will post acclaimed streetlights of 6th century.

Get yourself educated. grin
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 2:50pm On Feb 16, 2022
There is something you Yorubas need to do before putting your mouth into what doesn't concern you. I hope both of you are listening @YourNemesis and Saukruat,

Always ask the other side before making yourself emergency police, defender and judge at the same time.

There is a reason why the court of Bini always denounce claims from confused Igbo groups in SS. They know that the more the issue is flogged the more the origin of all they call theirs is exposed. Atleast today, you've seen where the acclaimed Bini dressing came from.
If we go more on this, you will end up seeing where the inspiration for Iguedo mask came from.
Do you know that today is Afọ Market day in Bini?

As for our neighbours on the Eastern side. Have you seen any of them complain of anything in regards to what you people are confusing yourselves on?
Nope, because what you thought was peculiar to them is a shared thing between them and southern Igboland. The origin is Igbo that spread to them through Arochukwu.
A typical native clothing of Ibibio and Efik origin is weaved grass and rafia.

Below are pictures from maiden Festival in Arochukwu

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 2:57pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourNemesis:

I don't see the similarity.
And what is the date for the ovo figurine you posted? This looks like a modern era artwork to me bro... let's be real.
It is interesting that what our ancestors did when you people were butt naked look like a modern era thing to you.

Lol. Go to Bini right now and see the women enjoying their Afọ Market sales

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 3:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:
There is something you Yorubas need to do before putting your mouth into what doesn't concern you. I hope both of you are listening @YourNemesis and Saukruat,

Always ask the other side before making yourself emergency police, defender and judge at the same time.

There is a reason why the court of Bini always denounce claims from confused Igbo groups in SS. They know that the more the issue is flogged the more the origin of all they call theirs is exposed. Atleast today, you've seen where the acclaimed Bini dressing came from.
If we go more on this, you will end up seeing where the inspiration for Iguedo mask came from.
Do you know that today is Afọ Market day in Bini?

As for our neighbours on the Eastern side. Have you seen any of them complain of anything in regards to what you people are confusing yourselves on?
Nope, because what you thought was peculiar to them is a shared thing between them and southern Igboland. The origin is Igbo that spread to them through Arochukwu.
A typical native clothing of Ibibio and Efik origin is weaved grass and rafia.

Below are pictures from maiden Festival in Arochukwu

Then replicate these pictures at least, and stop copying ivie okuko styles and the ewu ivie shoulder bead cape attire.... If it was only western igbos (aniomas) doing it now, at least we can even understand to an extent.

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:03pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourNemesis:

More Yoruba from the 1800s
Nope, still 20th century (1925).
During Nigeria for that matter.

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 3:03pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

It is interesting that what our ancestors did when you people were butt naked look like a modern era thing to you.

Chai... it's the lies for me. grin

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 3:05pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

Nope, still 20th century (1925).
During Nigeria for that matter.

PUBLISHED for the Church Missionary Society IN 1925.

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 3:06pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

Learn to accept truths bro and while some of your brothers already have, you are still here making stuff up.

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:08pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourNemesis:

Then replicate these pictures at least, and stop copying ivie okuko styles and the ewu ivie shoulder bead cape attire.... If it was only western igbos (aniomas) doing it now, at least we can even understand to an extent.
You Yorubas should learn to mind your business.
Ask Bini what okuko mean first or what Ikegobo mean.

So we should leave what has origin from Igboland because a bunch of people that call themselves Bini adopted it. No Afonja you are lying.
You are seriously lying. No one tells an Igbo man what to do especially when he is on his own turf.

The same Bini that use "ogbe, ugbo, ugo, ọkụkọ etc"
Bini influence is not from Anioma but Nri.
Hope you know where Nri is before talking nonsense about Anioma.

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:11pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourNemesis:

Learn to accept truths bro and while some of your brothers already have, you are still here making stuff up.
Maybe I should screenshot one of my comments and use it as a history source.

My dear, random comments are not history. Would you care to post the source of that rant that you posted?

What I give you is something you can walk to Uselu or Oba market and see life and direct.

Go there before market closes, they are in Afọ market day.

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:13pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourNemesis:

Chai... it's the lies for me. grin
You no longer have more lies to drop. It is now obvious.

So you have issues with someone wearing a modern Sahel attire in Igboland? Lol. Maybe I should post the picture of Tinubu wearing Isiagu

Its not that difficult to concede and apologise.

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 3:18pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

You Yorubas should learn to mind your business.
Ask Bini what okuko mean first or what Ikegobo mean.

So we should leave what has origin from Igboland because a bunch of people that call themselves Bini adopted it. No Afonja you are lying.
You are seriously lying. No one tells an Igbo man what to do especially when he is on his own turf.

The same Bini that use "ogbe, ugbo, ugo, ọkụkọ etc"
Bini influence is not from Anioma but Nri.
Hope you know where Nri is before talking nonsense about Anioma.

With the way you are going, you will soon claim Ogun, Ada and Eben, Olokun worship in Anioma and Ugie... grin

2 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 3:20pm On Feb 16, 2022
YourNemesis:

With the way you are going, you will soon claim Ogun, Ada and Eben, Olokun worship in Anioma and Ugie... grin
You are now becoming more civil.
It is the doubt flowing in. Even doubters can sense truth.

If you want to talk about Olukumi, signify let me help you not sneaking them in when I am just getting started with Bini

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by YourNemesis: 3:24pm On Feb 16, 2022
BKayy:

You are now becoming more civil.
It is the doubt flowing in. Even doubters can sense truth.

If you want to talk about Olukumi, signify let me help you not sneaking them in when I am just getting started with Bini

Olukumi ke?
Eweeeeeeeeeè!

Bros, have some shame for once. grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Emir Of Bahrain With His Robot Bodyguard / Whats The Eglish Meaning Of Ekule / Are You Proud Of Your Tribal Mark?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.