Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,792 members, 7,813,623 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire (11323 Views)

See The Traditional Attire Of Kuteb People / Important Things You Should Know About The Igbo Traditional Wedding / Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Jameseddi1: 12:46am On Feb 14, 2022
Igboid:
The Igbo Character in Written History (I)
H. H. Johnston, on the 12th of November 1888, described the Igbos to the Royal Geographical Society of Britain thus:
“The Ibo country is densely populated. Their towns are of a very distinct character, with rectangular houses well-built of clay and thatch, interspersed among groups of magnificent trees, which are purposely preserved and cultivated by the citizens. Among these are noticeable Dracaenas of great height, with red trunks and dark green spiky fir-like foliage.
The Ibo towns are never crowded, each house or little group of houses standing by itself in an independent compound. The open spaces in the town are kept scrupulously clean, being frequently swept with brooms made out of twigs and palm-fronds, which are industriously plied by the boys and youths who keep the town in order. In the vicinity of this settlement, there are dense groves of the oil-palm, and thriving plantations of maize, yams, beans, and colocasia arums.
The Ibos are exceedingly industrious people. They weave grass-cloth, and display a very marked aesthetic taste in the designing of their implements and textile fabrics, and in the interior decoration of their houses, in all of which, and in their social arrangements, they are greatly superior to the degraded coast tribes, who seem to have lost their ancient culture.
They are clever smiths, and make a good many implements from the iron which they smelt themselves from the soil, in their primitive forges.
The Ibos I look upon as the promising tribe of the delta. It is they, at present, who create the trade ; Ijos and Kwos - their neighbours on the south and west - are but middlemen, non- producers.
The Ibos are industrious agriculturists, and have fine herds of cattle, goats, and sheep, and quantities of fowls and ducks.”

Reference
Johnston, H. H. (1888). The Niger Delta. Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society and Monthly Record of Geography, 10(12), 749–763. https://doi.org/10.2307/1801065

Igbo was documented 18th century
Yoruba was first documented 17th century by the world
Benin was first documented 13th century in 17th Olaudah Equiano documented that Ebo/Igbo was a tribe under the Benin kingdom.

Now all documented fact point Benin was the oldest civilization nation.

Now you get your truth.
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Shiver99: 12:58am On Feb 14, 2022
Jameseddi1:
Benin colonized Ebo and some part of Yoruba this clothes might be gotten from Benin as Yoruba and Ebo was naked before

Perhaps this was the case with Yorubas, The relationship between the two is understandably complicated.

However, anything to do with Igbos is purely wishful thinking.

Benin claimed to have conquered their neighbors, the Agbor clan some time back, and this was the response from the Agbor people below:

2 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Shiver99: 1:02am On Feb 14, 2022
Jameseddi1:

Benin was first documented 13th century in 17th Olaudah Equiano documented that Ebo/Igbo was a tribe under the Benin kingdom.

Now you get your truth.

While you're at it, please explain why the Benin word for God is directly borrowed from an Igbo portmanteau.

3 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Jameseddi1: 8:50am On Feb 14, 2022
Shiver99:

Perhaps this was the case with Yorubas, The relationship between the two is understandably complicated.

However, anything to do with Igbos is purely wishful thinking.

Benin claimed to have conquered their neighbors, the Agbor clan some time back, and this was the response from the Agbor people below:

This write up here might be from those Igbo In Agbor who always opposed Agbor history by saying your names are igboid how will you claim Benin.

Because the royal house of Agbor already claimed to migrate from Benin and not Igbo.

If you want me to post the king of agbor write up here about their history I will. Anyway sha a real agbor man know this truth only the migrated igbo to agbor know otherwise. I have seen a lot tread where real agbor people debating with Igbos about this.

Truth after migration from Benin still under Benin control agbor was able to make a big treat against the Benin cause of their independence. Truth and still didn’t change the facts.

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Jameseddi1: 9:12am On Feb 14, 2022
Shiver99:

While you're at it, please explain why the Benin word for God is directly borrowed from an Igbo portmanteau.

Osalobua is ancient Benin word for God your Anioma Originated in same Era as Esan.

Anyone can write anything in his or her own books.

Please go read document fact and not just anybook.

Onitcha agbor kings started in 15th century from 15 16th century that when this place kings was first documented. Same with Esan Benin have been using that OSA word for century eyewitness by the world European and all before Onitcha Agbor Esan started existence.

Olise Esan Osebelu are all corrupted Benin ancient Osalobua word. Olise is a Benin origin word same with Osadebe.

Now you just prove a point that Agbor king never lied about their Benin root same with Onitcha man Zik who wrote exodus in 19th century about how onitcha came from Benin.

No wonder this people kings still carry Benin royal swords of office given by Oba till date.

But all this still didn’t change the fact that all Igbo/Ebo was under Benin control documented in 17th century.

Only way to prove me wrong is to bring a documented fact older than 17th century ok.
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Igboid: 10:42am On Feb 14, 2022
Jameseddi1:

Osalobua is ancient Benin word for God your Anioma Originated in same Era as Esan.

Anyone can write anything in his or her own books.

Please go read document fact and not just anybook.

Onitcha agbor kings started in 15th century from 15 16th century that when this place kings was first documented. Same with Esan Benin have been using that OSA word for century eyewitness by the world European and all before Onitcha Agbor Esan started existence.

Olise Esan Osebelu are all corrupted Benin ancient Osalobua word. Olise is a Benin origin word same with Osadebe.

Now you just prove a point that Agbor king never lied about their Benin root same with Onitcha man Zik who wrote exodus in 19th century about how onitcha came from Benin.

No wonder this people kings still carry Benin royal swords of office given by Oba till date.

But all this still didn’t change the fact that all Igbo/Ebo was under Benin control documented in 17th century.

Only way to prove me wrong is to bring a documented fact older than 17th century ok.

Bini is much more younger than Agbor and Western Igbo clans.
And you actually borrowed alot from them.
Including Osanobua like already stated.
You can't break Osanobua down to a meaning in Bini.
But Igbo can break Olisa bulu uwa down to a meaning. Which goes to show that they are the originators!
Same way you borrowed Igbo market days and even Igbo palm fruit "Ofigbo" (Ofe Igbo) from Ika people.
Bini is a relatively Minority and like most minorities, a hybrid created out of the interactions between the Igbo, Yoruba and the original Edoid people represented by the Oza, Esan and Etsako people.

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Jameseddi1: 11:10am On Feb 14, 2022
Igboid:

Bini is much more younger than Agbor and Western Igbo clans.
And you actually borrowed alot from them.
Including Osanobua like already stated.
You can't break Osanobua down to a meaning in Bini.
But Igbo can break Olisa bulu uwa down to a meaning. Which goes to show that they are the originators!
Same way you borrowed Igbo market days and even Igbo palm fruit "Ofigbo" (Ofe Igbo) from Ika people.
Bini is a relatively Minority and like most minorities, a hybrid created out of the interactions between the Igbo, Yoruba and the original Edoid people represented by the Oza, Esan and Etsako people.

Mumu you have still bring your imagination story out lol Aka are Benin descendants Go read Obi of ise luku narrative and obi of agbor narrative and stop disgraceing yourself.

I keep bringing documents fact you keep bringing imagination story.

But still didn’t change the fact that the world first time of recognizing Ebo was it under Benin kingdom in 17th century.

Bring documents fact older than 17th century and not just any imagination claim by Igbos.

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Jameseddi1: 11:24am On Feb 14, 2022
Do you even know Agbor history? Igbo man?

STOP PROMOTING IGBO CULTURE, SAYS DEIN OF AGBOR
The Dein of Agbor Kingdom, His Royal Majesty Dr. Benjamin Ikenchukwu Keagborekuzi I, has enjoined his subjects to stop promoting Igbo culture, describing the Agbor culture as ‘unique and peculiar’.

IMG_9531 STOP PROMOTING IGBO CULTURE, SAYS DEIN OF AGBOR

The Dein gave the admonition at his palace recently while giving his royal blessings to the new Iregwa of Ogbemudien Community, Pa. Bogi Abagi. He called on the good people of Agbor Kingdom to join hands with him to effect the changes he desires to be in place. According to him, “I am back and happy to be in the midst of my subjects. This kind of gathering gives me joy because it is an opportunity for me to learn more from my people. There is room for change, therefore my wish and desire for my subjects is that they adopt and respect every change that is being made. Going through the history of Agbor Kingdom, one will thank the gods for wisdom. Thus, everyone will join hands with me to reposition things the way they ought to be in order to restore our lost glory”.

He called on all Agbor indigenes to preserve Agbor culture and stop promoting Igbo culture. His words, “stop giving our children Igbo names. The native names given to our children should be pronounced and written in Agbor language and not in Igbo or Ika language as Agbor has its own unique language. The Igbo red cap should also be dropped as it is not a native cap for Agbor Kingdom. Soon, I will start driving away my palace chiefs who are fond of coming to the palace, wearing in red caps. Agbor traditions should be respected and preserved for future generations. Parents and the elderly should teach our children and the youths the culture of Agbor”.

The Odion of Agbor Kingdom, Chief Julius Ochei who led the new Iregwa and the people of Ogbemudien to the Dein’s Palace for blessing, said the Iregwa title goes to the oldest man in Ogbemudien Community, stating that it is the turn of Pa. John Bogi Abagi who is 89 years and the oldest man. The Iregwa, according to Chief Ochie is the traditional head of Ogbemudein Community in Agbor Kingdom.

In a chat with Ika Weekly Newspaper Reporter, the Chairman of Ogbemudien Community, Hon. Simon Okpali lauded the Dein for his wealth of knowledge and prayed the good Lord to empower him. He expressed his confidence in the new Iregwa of Ogbemudien to lead well and thanked the Dein for his blessings.

Julius Ehiabor, the Onu-otu of Ogbemudein Community, on his part, said Pa. Abagi leadership is good and that the good people of Ogbemudien Community are happy. He prayed God to give the new Iregwa good health and long life.

Mr. Johnbull Okwuogori Aghaulor felicitating with the Iregwa, appealed to him to continue to lead them in truth. He prayed God to bless the Dein of Agbor, the Iregwa, Ogbemudein Community and Agbor Kingdom.

Responding, Pa. Abagi thanked the Dein, saying that his joy knows no bounds, while soliciting for the cooperation of every son and daughter of Ogbemudein Community to enable him give the Dein the needed support to move Agbor Kingdom forward.

PATRICK GBUCHANYE

As posted on Ika weekly web site
Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Jameseddi1: 12:19pm On Feb 14, 2022
Obi of Issele-Uku His Royal Majesty, Obi Nduka Ezeagwuna, in this interview with OVIE OKPARE speaks about life before and after ascension to the throne of his forefathers and the custom and tradition in his kingdom.

Can you tell us a little about the Issele–Uku Kingdom?

If you look at our history, we are descendants of the great Benin empire and as the history goes, on or about 1230 AD, Oba Eweka of Benin the first sent his second son, Prince Uwade towards the Eastern part of the Benin Empire first of all to check the influx of the Easterners into the kingdom and secondly to expand the empire. So Prince Uwade came along with his wives and some delegate warriors towards the eastern part, they settled here in the present Issele–Uku. So they settled and practised the same pattern of ascension to the throne like that in Benin. So after him, Prince Uwade became Ogewade and after him, his first son took over. So, that has been our brief history. We are descendants of the great Benin Kingdom.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/at-first-i-was-embarrassed-to-see-elders-bow-before-me-25-year-old-obi-of-issele-uku/%3Famp

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 12:36pm On Feb 14, 2022
Igboid:
Bkayy.
You are right in your argument of many groups including the British trying to lay claim to our local textile industry.
Notice the Belgian above was so fascinated with our local textile industry that hf ignorantly assumed we got our local weaving looms and industry from "the Caravans" which I take to mean from the Trans Sahara trade. He struggled to understand that an Indigenous African group were capable of such feats without influence from the Caucasians ( Arabs or Europeans).

But we all know this is false. Because Ndiigbo never engaged in Trans Sahara trade, and the Igalas who did who we had contact with, had no local textile industry as sophisticated as ours. They( the Igalas) depended on us for their local textiles when they are not buying from their trans Sahara trade route.

Our ancestors were truly a special breed of people.
This was also how they( the Caucasians) had nightmares understanding how an Indigenous African ethnic group were capable of producing such sophisticated arts as found in Igbo ukwu.
Even with Nri people describing the names and use of every single item found in the excavation site at Igbo ukwu, by Ancient Igbos. Many Europeans are still in awe.

Igbo di egwu, di omimi ma dikwa ebube.
That is it my brother. Every cat and dog wants to claim relationship with superior culture.
The thing is funny. Britain started it with trying to link Akwete to Indian lungi, Now Yorubas of Yesterday want to claim origin. Yorubas of few centuries ago.

Little did all of them know that Akwete started with grass and rafia fibre as well as other Igbo cloth producers like we have in Northern Igboland before moving to cotton. Britain gave up after extensive studies but these ones want to start their own. People that every artifact in Igboland outdates.

Imagine the dude wanted to talk about Bronze. A Yoruba man talking about bronze. When did Yoruba started making bronze sculptures? ​The dude did not know that what he posted as well as most of the Yoruba sculptures are Brass and Copper. The oldest of those brass and copper sculptures date 12th century. Bronzes, if any of the Yorubas works must be considered as such dates from 15th century, same with Bini.
Bini is the youngest in the game. Most of Bini bronzes shows evidences of European contact like cross and bowler hats.

This is why I told that guy that if he wants bronze and artifact discussion, he should wait till I am through with clothing.

See the oldest known Bronze of lost wax technique in Africa. It is from Igbo-Ukwu

5 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by gwafaeziokwu: 12:50pm On Feb 14, 2022
BKayy:

That is it my brother. Every cat and dog wants to claim relationship with superior culture.
The thing is funny. Britain started it with trying to link Akwete to Indian lungi, Now Yorubas of Yesterday want to claim origin. Yorubas of few centuries ago.

Little did all of them know that Akwete started with grass and rafia fibre as well as other Igbo cloth producers like we have in Northern Igboland before moving to cotton. Britain gave up after extensive studies but these ones want to start their own. People that every artifact in Igboland outdates.

Imagine the dude wanted to talk about Bronze. A Yoruba man talking about bronze. When did Yoruba started making bronze sculptures? ​The dude did not know that what he posted as well as most of the Yoruba sculptures are Brass and Copper. The oldest of those brass and copper sculptures date 12th century. Bronzes, if any of the Yorubas works must be considered as such dates from 15th century, same with Bini.
Bini is the youngest in the game. Most of Bini bronzes shows evidences of European contact like cross and bowler hats.

This is why I told that guy that if he wants bronze and artifact discussion, he should wait till I am through with clothing.

See the oldest known Bronze of lost wax technique in Africa. It is from Igbo-Ukwu

grin

Odogwu ka I bu nna. Keep shutting them up with hard facts.

3 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by nisai: 2:39pm On Feb 14, 2022
Jameseddi1:

Now you get your truth.
Tao11, Tao 12 grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by TAO11(f): 2:52pm On Feb 14, 2022
nisai:
Tao11, Tao 12 grin grin grin grin
That’s @gregyboy. The only reason he didn't type that sh*t with his regular moniker is because he himself is ashamed of his own trash.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by nisai: 7:23pm On Feb 14, 2022
TAO11:

That’s @gregyboy. The only reason he didn't type that sh*t with his regular moniker is because he himself is ashamed of his own trash.
I know. grin

1 Like

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 3:46am On Feb 15, 2022
A lot of igbo cope and projection on this thread, liking each other's post doesn't change facts. It's true. Igbos copy other ethcities attire but some other minor tribes do too, it's shocking as igbos who are not a minor tribe do it. Gele has nothing to do with Igbo, nor Edo crown beads ,nor Efik shirt, but many igbos wear it like it's their culture. The red cap worn sometimes by igbos, not the Christmas cap one, is also a standard Hausa cap of red color.

Yorubas were never naked, or known to wear animal skin, that's the Igbo, igbos rejecting their history to other people is pure coping. Interesting how the Igbos here choose to attack Yorubas when Edo's and Efiks were mentioned too. Shows the inferiority complex and who it's directed to. Akwette was modeled from foreign fabrics, spun by just one women and only came to existence in the 1990s meanwhile Aso oke, one of the Yoruba fabrics is dated 1400s.

Igbos after missionaries and colonialism used foreign wrappers called Gorge Indian textiles. So even the recent akwette fabric made from imported cotton, began to die off more. This is why there's no native Igbo fabric used by igbos in Mass till this day, but rather George and Indian imports.

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 3:53am On Feb 15, 2022
bomb24:

Akwete yoruba?

Afonjas are eternally foolish!

yorubas had no indegenous clothing line.

the aso oke u claim today came from the fulanis.

cc bkayy
igboid

ekealterelgo

Fulani clothing has nothing to do with Yoruba indigenous clothings nor do they're look anything alike. Stop coping. Maybe if you leaf dancing people had developed a fabric independently you will not have to cope like this.

6 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 4:06am On Feb 15, 2022
BKayy:

Yoruba has no indigenous clothing except for animal skin. So I wonder what you thought your people were trading.
Akwete (so named after the town that weaves it) is traditional indigenous Igbo cloth that spread across Old Eastern region nations. Put it this way as something uniting Ndigbo with Ibibio, Efik, Annang etc. I have seen many propose theories mainly hamitic to make it second but never have I seen one as petty as yours.
"from West to East?" my dear you need to have indigenous cloth to export one.

As for Yoruba indigenous animal skin clothing and what you people now claim as yours. Look at the pictures below.
1st /2nd pic = Yoruba Prince in traditional animal skin.
3rd pic= The Fulani clothing, they (Fulani) clothed Yorubas with. The picture is of Sudanese Fulani

I am not here to revise those blog articles you Yorubas fool yourselves with. If it is not 1st person recorded history or reasonable discovery, it is not fact.
1st pic
Yorubas 1st and 2nd pic, 1800s

Igbos 3rd and 4th pics in the later periods of 1900s, lol.
Some of you igbos remind me of delusional Hebrew Israelites who don't want to accept history, as a quick google search by any one who cares disproves all your babbling and sad attempt at coping.

4 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 4:27am On Feb 15, 2022
BKayy:
OK, Mr OP bundarina what you need to do is ask those you think Ndigbo copied from "who owned it"
Your ascertions is actually the reverse. Ndigbo exported textiles to all including Igala.

Yoruba on the other hand, doesn't know anything like cloths. Only those under Islamic influence have access to such luxury, either from Fulani, Nupe, Hausa or occasional Mali/Songhai traders (mainly those outside Nigeria).

Honestly you Yorubas should dedicate much time to studying yourselves than poking into people that are actually superior to you.
No matter the slander, whenever Ndigbo take up the argument, you can't help but feel the difference quality.

As for "gele" my dear, prior to Islamic /European contact, Yoruba women don't wear such. Your women rock Chinese "queue" like hairstyle. The type that Jet-Li wear in his films. Head dress came to you people primarily through Islamic contact. It is not your original culture

Igbos, don't project your history onto others, Yoruba people. And your posted image does nothing to debunk that Akwette is a recently 1900s fabric created from fabrics sold by ijaw Yorubas and Portuguese traders. And that's why it's never a staple part of your culture unlike Yoruba Also oke, Adire, and so on.

Yoruba Gele is cultural, just like the rest of Yoruba clothing, Iro ,buba and ipele. And it has nothing to do with Islam, many Yorubas had strong traditional worshippers and the fabric had meaning assigned even to the various Orishas, some Orishas attached to several fabrics. Thats why there are more Christian Yorubas than Muslim ones today. And unlike you, Europeans have nothing to do with any part Yoruba civilization. The inferiority complex is strong with you.

Yorubas in their indigenous ancient fabrics

8 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 4:35am On Feb 15, 2022
bomb24:

Their stupidity and ignorance is mind blowing, just take a look at the dubious way they were trying to link akwete to to some un-existent ijebu clothing lines and ijaws.

Thank-Goodness I had to tag u, before they start leeching themselves into our history like they did to the benins and bullied them into submission.

Yorubas don't leech themselves to anyone's history, that's Igbos behavior. That's why y'all wear Edo attire and whenever they speak, they get shut down by y'all, lol. Yorubas have too much of a great culture from traditional attires, to kingdoms, ancient arts, language, worldwide known traditional myths and legends comparable to Greek and Roman mythology.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 4:48am On Feb 15, 2022
BKayy:

Honestly, most these Yorubas are filled with ignorance.
Did one say Ijaw make clothes? Lol
Not just make clothes but export it to Ndigbo grin

I saw one claim head dress as part of Yoruba culture. The same Yorubas that their women either plait hair or wear Chinese kind of hairstyle?
Most of these Yorubas have deep inferiority complex. The way they rush to claim ownership of what isn't their culture is shamefully amazing

Yes the Gele headdress is part and parcel of Yoruba culture and you will keep feeling your inferiority complex. It's however not part of your Igbo culture. Yoruba women had magnificent braids styles but still wore Gele's traditionally for several occasions and casual settings too. It's like marvelling that British ladies wore Church hats and also wore buns and pig tails , lmao.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 4:53am On Feb 15, 2022
BKayy:

That is where they will be disgraced like that fake Oyo calvary.
Yorubas don't even have indigenous clothing but most of them here don't know.
Like the OP bundarina, most of them swallowed the fake things their dubious blogs and fake historical books fed them whole but God/Nature has a way of doing things.

She (Nature) makes them to jump into arguments like this so that they will be exposed and helped to reconnect to their roots (Their original history and culture that they are running from).

In matters like this, I present evidences that makes them realise that those books have been deceiving them all along. For example, the picture below, just one have already summarised who clothed Yorubas and where the cloth came from. The picture is of Sudanese Fulani. You can see Aso oke, Aso whatever and other names they call them in one picture.

Cope.
Spamming with old Yoruba pictures

3 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 5:15am On Feb 15, 2022
BKayy:

Your first paragraph answered your last confusion.
The bottom line of both is that Cloth is not indigenous to Yorubas. You didn't think it out, you copied and you have already accepted that it was from the Sahara. So unlike You Yorubas, trans Saharan trade wasn't obvious in Igboland, so we didn't get anything from the Sahel.
Now who came from the Sahara to Nigeria?
Answer is Fulani.

This is what Google lens to people.
So you saw "du mossi" and you are still confused. This is about history and appropriate names are used.
Please ask someone to tell you what "French Soudan" is.

This right here ends the discussion. What else to argue when you already accepted that none of those clothes are indigenous to yorubas but came as a result of Saharan influence which I stated.
I also stated where it came from and the Yoruba groups that first has that contact which is Ilorin from Nupe and Fulani. Aso oke was Fulani and the other buba styled is Nupe.
One thing I will like you to understand is that the Saharan baban Riga which you Yorubas call Agbada's origin is known worldwide. It is from Tuaregs/Berbers of Maghreb. The cloth was designed to withstand desert storm. Put it as a cloth + tenth. Some Igbo politicians started wearing it after our forced inclusion to Nigeria. Unlike you shameless people, we don't claim what is not ours.

Now this part is the comedy designed to end your confusion with laughter grin.
You have scholarly articles but you keep on posting your blogs. You don't actually need blogs to prove anything if you know what you are saying.
If, I repeat "if" the Aso oke Fulani brought to Yorubas later on got to Igbo, then Igboland would have been included in trans Saharan trade route, but No, it isn't. So you see my dear Yoruba man, you can't wish things into existence. If you have seen and felt Akwete before, you won't be having this confusion. The only people that introduced things to the other is Igbo to Yorubas. One typical example is blacksmithing which helped reduce the reliance on Nupe and very inaccessible/unreliable ones from fellow Yorubas.
Finally, the acclaimed fez hat. I believe you were the one I cured his ignorance in one thread like that. Igbo red hats have always been there with the Ọzọ society, the only thing that changed is material.
One of your fellow ignoramus claimed it was introduced for warrant chiefs in early 1900s but the slave traders and early Europeans saw and recorded it in 1800s. We also have bronze masks of 9th century depicting it as well.

A lot of incoherent jibber jabber. People of close ethnicities can share similar outfit cuts, it has nothing to do with borrowing, but fashion of similar demographics. And Agbada has nothing to do with Babaringa and they are distinguishable by appearance! I and nobody confuses a Babaringa to an agbada. Aso oke fabric, Adire, etc remains same no matter the cut of the clothe. Just like how the three Asian super powers have some similarly historical outfit cuts, but different fabrics and distinct from each other. Same with some Malinke, wolof, fula , bamabara outfits. Same with English, German, French attires. And so on.

Use your iq, if you have any. Also Yoruba men have other traditional attire like kembe and so forth. And that's not a hat, that's a bead, if your eyes can't see well. Yoruba ancient arts show the different outfits of both male and female, and with old pictures to match it too.

Some Japanese, Chinese and Korean traditional clothing, the male (and even their female attires too) share similar cuts due to proximity and fashion history, but are distinct by look, origin and are made from different traditional indigenous fabrics. Dunce!

9 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 5:35am On Feb 15, 2022
BKayy:

They say great civilisation think alike but the main aim of the picture is about the materials. Unlike you, Ndigbo didn't have any single contact with Fulani until Nigeria was established.
Putting cloth halfway across the shoulders is an ancient way of dressing which Ndigbo as well as Greeks, Romans,, Berbers, the Amharas of Ethiopia, Jews, Massai of Kenya and other impressive civilisations share.
Yorubas can't be out in the same line with these great civilisations because you don't even wear clothes.

That Obi of Onitsha dressing is a proof of great civilisation (Igbo, Greek, Romans etc) thinking alike

Igbos embarrassing themselves again linking and comparing themselves to Jews, Greeks, Ethopians like Hoteps with identity crises and cultural inferiority. Have some shame. Post an old picture of an Igbo dressed like that lmao. Oh and y'all met Hausa's pre Nigeria lmao

3 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 5:44am On Feb 15, 2022
scholes0:

Goodness me! your understanding is quite shallow.
So "contract weavers" is what unhinged you to go off on another tangent? loool... You have issues o abi you don't know what patronage entails? Isn't this esteem issues oozing out like this....

[img]http:///65535/51878100247_9f34dcf637_b.jpg[/img]
Igbo Women and Economic Transformation in Southeastern ... - Page 68; Gloria chuku, 2005

[img]http:///65535/51879072436_bdff155716_b.jpg[/img]
Akwete Weaving: A Study of Change in Response to the Palm oil trade.. Lisa Aronson 1982

[img]http:///65535/51879720025_436f4899ba_b.jpg[/img]
Textiles of Africa - Page 97, Dale Idiens, ‎Kenneth G. Ponting · 1980

[img]http:///65535/51879095316_f5bbf77a56_b.jpg[/img]
Cloth as Metaphor: Nigerian Textiles from the Museum of ... - Page 54
Jean Borgatti, ‎University of California, Los Angeles. Museum of Cultural History

[img]http:///65535/51879394284_f9509a0455_b.jpg[/img]
Jean Borgatti, ‎University of California, Los Angeles. Museum of Cultural History

[img]http:///65535/51879161008_5f2d3e40e9_b.jpg[/img]
Ebiegberi Joe Alagoa, ‎Tekena N. Tamuno · 1989 Land and People of Nigeria: Rivers State - Page 108

Chei, Yorubas have corrupted various sources online with Lagos-Ibadan media lies ooo. How vile can these people be that they are making Igbos, Europeans and Ijaws write lies about history like this.

HA HA , finish him cool shocked . I'm sure he'll find a way to blame Yorubas for historical truths written centuries ago by other people from various sources, lol

8 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 5:49am On Feb 15, 2022
Igboid:
What the Igbo accomplished in precolonial NIGERIA, no Nigerian group can compare to it.

Not even their envy, jealousy or bitterness can erase the accomplishment of our Igbo ancestors!
We have to be grateful to the white men for keeping records of these events.

There's nothing like Nigerian group. And the most accomplished ethnicity pre colonial and post colonial are the Yorubas. So great that people all over the world study them, their history is legendary.

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 5:56am On Feb 15, 2022
BKayy:

Keep coping about Yorubas. Yoruba iron sites are the most ancient in Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 6:03am On Feb 15, 2022
Jameseddi1:
Benin colonized Ebo and some part of Yoruba this clothes might be gotten from Benin as Yoruba and Ebo was naked before

This is what happens when you do drugs. Benin need to find a traditional fabric first. And Benin and Yorubas don't share any traditional clothing, so there's nothing to get from your naked selves. Whatever clothe you wrap around your bare chests has nothing to do with Yoruba culture as aso oke, Adire, iro, buba, Agbada, ipele, Gele, kembe ,etc has nothing to do with Edo culture.

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 12:23pm On Feb 15, 2022
Saukruat:

Keep coping about Yorubas. Yoruba iron sites are the most ancient in Nigeria.
The oldest Iron site in Nigeria is in "Lejja, Enugu state".
https://www.journalajst.com/geophysical-investigations-locating-buried-iron-slag-lejja-southern-nigeria
It even made news in 2018
https://thingsnigeria.com/2018/02/14/lejja-the-worlds-oldest-iron-smelting-site-in-nigeria/

I doubt there is any Yoruba that actually research

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 12:32pm On Feb 15, 2022
Saukruat:

Cope.
Spamming with old Yoruba pictures
Those recent pictures. Very soon you will post pictures of Wizkid and David to buttress how much ashamed you are of your ancestors
Saukruat:

Yes the Gele headdress is part and parcel of Yoruba culture and you will keep feeling your inferiority complex. It's however not part of your Igbo culture. Yoruba women had magnificent braids styles but still wore Gele's traditionally for several occasions and casual settings too. It's like marvelling that British ladies wore Church hats and also wore buns and pig tails , lmao.
You mean Igbo "have a complex for Yoruba savagery?". Lol you're hallucinating

It is quite interesting that the Yoruba women have "magnificent braids and styles" nobody knew of but the wives of Alaafin wore the hairstyles below.

Just look at their punk, Jet Li hairstyles grin

8 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by BKayy: 12:50pm On Feb 15, 2022
As usual, Yorubas are ashamed of their fore fathers.
None can muster the courage to post how the white men met their ancestors.

None can muster the courage to post the pictures of their great grandparents before Nigeria was established.

The clown before me (Saukruat) even posted one from 1951. Are you kidding me?
1951 of yesterday?
Very soon you will post pictures of Davido and Wizkid as your ancestors grin

7 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 2:55pm On Feb 15, 2022
BKayy:
As usual, Yorubas are ashamed of their fore fathers.
None can muster the courage to post how the white men met their ancestors.

None can muster the courage to post the pictures of their great grandparents before Nigeria was established.

The clown before me (Saukruat) even posted one from 1951. Are you kidding me?
1951 of yesterday?
Very soon you will post pictures of Davido and Wizkid as your ancestors grin

I posted several pictures from the 1800's, you can't post one of your people without shame. That's how the white men and foreigners before them met Yorubas. Keep moving the goal post ,Igbo with Inferiority complex.

3 Likes

Re: What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire by Saukruat: 2:58pm On Feb 15, 2022
BKayy:

Those recent pictures. Very soon you will post pictures of Wizkid and David to buttress how much ashamed you are of your ancestors

You mean Igbo "have a complex for Yoruba savagery?". Lol you're hallucinating

It is quite interesting that the Yoruba women have "magnificent braids and styles" nobody knew of but the wives of Alaafin wore the hairstyles below.

Just look at their punk, Jet Li hairstyles grin

Low iq and Inferiority complex is affecting you. You have lost the plot, are you arguing against traditional braided Yoruba hairstyles now too, shuku, Didi, koroba, irun Kiko, patewo, Omole gogoro, Ipako Elede, etc. They wore several hairstyles, including that too and also head dress called Gele. Like I said, don't project. There are pictures Ashanti women with buns doesn't mean they didn't do other hairstyles. You need to take yout drugs fam.

5 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Emir Of Bahrain With His Robot Bodyguard / Whats The Eglish Meaning Of Ekule / Can I Learn Esan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.