Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,932 members, 7,817,722 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study (1044 Views)

My Woman's Sex Libido Just Increased / Ghanaian Lady Who Gave MouthAction To Men At Night Club Apologizes To Her Parents / My Friend Is Being Sexually Harassed By Married Men At Her Work Place (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 12:11pm On Feb 12, 2022
A new study has revealed that post breakup, men are at an increased risk of mental illness, including anxiety, depression and suicide.
Breakups are difficult. Getting over the fact that things won't ever be the same between you and your partner is a painful process, and it may take years for someone to be at peace again. A new study has revealed that post breakup, men are at an increased risk of mental illness, including anxiety, depression and suicide.
The study was published in 'Social Science and Medicine - Qualitative Research in Health'.
"Most men experienced the onset or worsening of mental illness symptoms during a distressed relationship or following the breakdown of a relationship," said the study's lead author Dr John Oliffe, a Canada Research Chair and UBC professor of nursing whose work focuses on men's mental health.

He noted that marital separation quadrupled the risk of male suicide and suggested that distressed relationships as well as separation and divorce contributed to men's mental health challenges.
Dr Oliffe and the team at UBC's Men's Health Research Program interviewed 47 men about their experiences with the breakdown of an intimate partner relationship. When faced with conflict in their relationships, men tended to downplay issues, causing the relationship to fracture even further.

"Stereotyped masculinity plays a role in how men react to a broken relationship," said Dr Oliffe, who also leads UBC's Reducing Male Suicide research excellence cluster. "For example, men's uncertainty for how to articulate and problem-solve in the relationship context resulted in many men isolating rather than reaching out for help. Most men in the study were battling with transitions in the partnership--like bereavement, parenting or infidelity--and their primary goal was to avoid conflict."
The study also found that men who were in distress following their breakup used substances, including alcohol, to cope with feelings such as anger, regret, sadness, shame and guilt. This is in addition to the immense uncertainty of what life could look like with less access to children, financial challenges and the loss of social connections.

Complicating these findings is the isolation and disruption caused by COVID-19 public health restrictions, which can lead to increased alcohol and substance use at home, and exacerbate conflict, leading to worsening mental health, Oliffe added.
On the positive side, the study revealed that following the breakdown of a relationship, men did engage a variety of resources to address their mental health needs.
"Help-seeking efforts among these men were wide-ranging and included individual or solitary efforts like exercise, reading and self-care while other men tapped existing networks or extended their efforts to connect with support groups, or attend

in thinking about the implication for services, she explained that while men tend to wait until crisis happens before seeking help, they did invest considerable time and effort to move on from, as well as understand their role in the break-up. "We need to re-conceptualize men's mental health promotion as legitimately including self-help, informal resources and male peer group services in addition to professional services."
Dr Oliffe added: "For the longest time we have treated separation and divorce as demographic data for examining risk factor potential in men's mental illness and suicide. The current study findings provide important contexts and direction for getting upstream to assist men to build better relationships, and that is the focus of our current work with Movember."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/lifestyle/relationships/men-at-increased-risk-of-mental-illness-post-breakup-study-101643625234295.html

2 Likes

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 12:12pm On Feb 12, 2022
upon the redpill pinkpill shits you guys are still suffering from mental health issues..

AoIfeNightFall.
cool

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 12:19pm On Feb 12, 2022
if by chance, the relationship ended due to physical/sexual abuse, infidelity or just being a piss-poor partner ... oh, well. His family will figure something out for him.

grin

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 12:21pm On Feb 12, 2022
Males are typically at fault for the breakdown of their relationships; and were awful/lazy/petulant/rude/abusive, etc. until their woman finally had enough and left. Or they believed the grass was greener elsewhere; only to find out the aforementioned, much like their struggle hairlines and patchy beards, were spray painted with Bigen.

bunch of weirdos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by ikennamadu1(m): 12:30pm On Feb 12, 2022
Nobody needs this rubbish... Nonsense thread
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 12:31pm On Feb 12, 2022
ikennamadu1:
Nobody needs this rubbish... Nonsense thread

your types the study was talking about..

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 12:33pm On Feb 12, 2022
I also believe this is the reason many men kill their wives/girlfriends once they leave them.
Men also rebound more than women do. A woman is encouraged to heal and perfect herself during a breakup, men are encouraged so sleep with the next thing walking. They can not cope with being alone.
Men are so emotionally stunted and seem to be getting worse as a collective. Very few men are worth investing in unfortunately.

hiding under greenpilker

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Thesaint141(m): 12:52pm On Feb 12, 2022
Op for ur mind now u create thread abi?
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 1:18pm On Feb 12, 2022
Thesaint141:
Op for ur mind now u create thread abi?

to create awareness that you men are just weak vessels.

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Candidlady: 1:45pm On Feb 12, 2022
Choilila:

Weak vessel?

They are nothing zilch Nada empty fruitless deMENted beings with nothing to offer...

Not all sha.. Some Still get sense but very few like needle in the ocean few

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Nyascobar1414: 4:56pm On Feb 12, 2022
Thread is has dry has Sahara desert...
I think you an ex-H0Edugwu
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by goshikid: 4:57pm On Feb 12, 2022
Choilila:
upon the redpill pinkpill shits you guys are still suffering from mental health issues..

AoIfeNightFall.
cool

No sense in what you wrote

Shiit as.s
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Godada(m): 5:37pm On Feb 12, 2022
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 6:27pm On Feb 12, 2022
goshikid:

No sense in what you wrote
Shiit as.s
now tell me how is ur health insurance?

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 6:44pm On Feb 12, 2022
Candidlady:

Weak vessel?

They are nothing zilch Nada empty fruitless deMENted beings with nothing to offer...

Not all sha.. Some Still get sense but very few like needle in the ocean few

cheesy

I guess men have feelings too.

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 6:48pm On Feb 12, 2022
Nyascobar1414:
Thread is has dry has Sahara desert...

I think you an ex-H0Edugwu

Men want to act like they’re the superior sex but don’t know how to act right. GET THERAPY!

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by goshikid: 11:42am On Feb 13, 2022
Choilila:

now tell me how is ur health insurance?

Try the get sense abg
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 11:43am On Feb 13, 2022
goshikid:

Try the get sense abg
Nigerian men are cheap and useless

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by goshikid: 11:58am On Feb 13, 2022
Choilila:

Nigerian men are cheap and useless

Coward
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2022
goshikid:

Coward
Nigerian men are cheap and useless.

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by ObamaMessi: 10:51pm On May 11, 2022
Choilila:
if by chance, the relationship ended due to physical/sexual abuse, infidelity or just being a piss-poor partner ... oh, well. His family will figure something out for him.

grin
Are u Jeon?
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 10:56pm On May 11, 2022
ObamaMessi:
Are u Jeon?

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by ObamaMessi: 11:05pm On May 11, 2022
Choilila:

I sight your honorable mentions. But I was bannedgrin
Who be that mod na? what did u do?
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 11:06pm On May 11, 2022
ObamaMessi:
Who be that mod na? what did u do?

aunty spambot

and the regular bashing.grin

1 Like

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by ObamaMessi: 11:08pm On May 11, 2022
Choilila:

aunty spambot
and the regular bashing.grin
Na that VictorUSB with u dey bash as usual?
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Choilila: 11:10pm On May 11, 2022
ObamaMessi:
Na that VictorUSB with u dey bash as usual?

No
I will tag you anytime I see the moniker.
Tho I was @ faulty for going against the rules.

2 Likes

Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by ObamaMessi: 11:14pm On May 11, 2022
Choilila:

No
I will tag you anytime I see the moniker.
Tho I was @ faulty for going against the rules.
u dont insult or use provocative words lyk i do, but am not always banned.
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by Nobody: 7:47am On May 12, 2022
Choilila:

There are over 4billion men on earth....
This lady interviewed just 47 men, which is about 0.00000001% of the total male population and then came to the conclusion that men (in general) are at increased risk of mental illness post break up?

What a joke undecided....
Re: Men At Increased Risk Of Mental Illness Post Breakup: Study by DryMouth: 9:42am On May 12, 2022
Whoever served this OP breakfast must have done it horribly.

(1) (Reply)

What Flirting Signals Do You Use To Attract A Man's Interest To You? / It Seems Women Find Hustling Fine Boys Attractive. / 45% Of Women Will Be Single And Childless 2030

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.