Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,075 members, 7,825,394 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures (34123 Views)

Rev. Yunusa Sabo Nmadu & Wife Welcome Twins After 25 Years Of Marriage / Pastor Drowns While Conducting Baptism At Blood River Village In South Africa / Benue Woman Marries 18 Husbands In 6 Years Over Stolen Red Powder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Updating9JA: 10:16am On Feb 15, 2022
Catholic priest resign after Vatican rules thousands of his baptisms are invalid because he used the wrong words for 25 years

A Catholic priest has resigned from an Arizona church after the Vatican ruled that thousands of his baptisms are invalid because he used the wrong words for 25 years

Father Andres Arango left his post at the St. Gregory Catholic Church in Phoenix this month after disclosing that he used an 'incorrect formula' that invalidated the baptisms. He has previously worked in churches in Brazil and San Diego.

Instead of saying 'I baptize you' which invokes the power of God, as required by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Arango said 'we baptize you' - which refers to the community.

According to the ruling, using the wrong phrasing invalidated all the baptisms Arango had performed since being ordained in 1995 through June 2021. And as a result, this could also invalidate ensuing confirmations and Eucharists.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix said that it was possible that some marriages could be affected, but did not explain further.

He'll now work full-time offering spiritual guidance to Catholics whose baptisms were ruled invalid so that he can baptize them again.

The church said the number of invalid baptisms runs into the thousands, but did not reveal exactly how many Arango performed.

The Vatican issued a doctoral note in 2020, clarifying that Baptisms conferred with the formula 'We baptize you in the name of the Father and the Son of the Holy Spirit,' were invalid.

Church leaders at The Roman Catholic Diocese investigated its faith leaders after the note was issued, and last month found that Father Arango had incorrectly performed the baptisms. It included baptisms at his previous parishes in Brazil and San Diego.

Following the Vatican's note of clarification, other priests working in Catholic diocese across the United States realized they had also been improperly baptized by priests.

It was explained that after becoming an ordained priest for the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City in 2020, Father Zachery Boazman reviewed a video of his 1992 baptism and realized the wrong wording had been used.

He was re-ordained following the discovery, the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City said.

In a letter announcing his resignation, Father Arango apologized to those his mistake has affected and asked the community for 'prayers, forgiveness, and understanding.'

'It saddens me to learn that I have performed invalid baptisms throughout my ministry as a priest by regularly using an incorrect formula,' Arango said. 'I deeply regret my error and how this has affected numerous people in your parish and elsewhere.

'With the help of the Holy Spirit and in communion, with the Diocese of Phoenix, I will dedicate my energy and full-time ministry to help remedy this and heal those affected.' Catholic Spanish Prayers

Arango remains a priest in good standing, and the situation has not disqualified him from his vocation and ministry, the Diocese said.

Those whose baptisms were invalid might have to repeat the second and third sacraments - confirmation and Eucharist after receiving a second, valid baptism.

It's not clear how the situation could impact marriages, but the Diocese said that it could.

'Maybe!' it said in a statement. 'Unfortunately, there is no single clear answer. There are a number of variables when it comes to valid marriages, and the Tribunal is here to help.'

Diocese of Phoenix Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted said he did not believe Arango didn't intentionally harm or deceive parishioners.

'On behalf of our local Church, I too am sincerely sorry that this error has resulted in disruption to the sacramental lives of a number of the faithful,' Olmsted said in a statement.

'This is why I pledge to take every step necessary to remedy the situation for everyone impacted.'

Source: https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2022/2/catholic-priest-resign-after-vatican-rules-thousands-of-his-baptisms-are-invalid-because-he-used-the-wrong-words-for-25-years.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Unruly7(m): 10:20am On Feb 15, 2022
The problem now is using "we" instead of "1"

10 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Unruly7(m): 10:20am On Feb 15, 2022
The problem now is using "we" instead of "i"

2 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by YinkaOlusesi16(m): 10:23am On Feb 15, 2022
May the lord av mercy

11 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Gullah: 10:45am On Feb 15, 2022
This is nonsense, the catholic church doesn't have the power to declare people's baptism illegal at all not to talk of over a flimsy excuse as this. The only thing that can make a baptism not to be valid is if it's not done according to Bible directions or principles.

51 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 15, 2022
Unruly7:
The problem now is using "we" instead of "i"
Maybe their own Bible did not say "the letter kills"

7 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Aaronsrod: 10:50am On Feb 15, 2022
This stupid man has sent thousands of children to hellfire. Nawa oo shocked

3 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by jesusjnr2020(m): 2:52pm On Feb 15, 2022
Misplaced priorities.

If Una like use I or we or you or us or them or he or she or all of the above when baptizing them, if the baptized person is not truly saved, he or she would also be baptized with the fire of hell at the end if they don't truly repent.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Kobojunkie: 3:11pm On Feb 15, 2022
Updating9JA:

Instead of saying 'I baptize you' which invokes the power of God, as required by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Arango said 'we baptize you' - which refers to the community.

According to the ruling, using the wrong phrasing invalidated all the baptisms Arango had performed since being ordained in 1995 through June 2021. And as a result, this could also invalidate ensuing confirmations and Eucharists
This Catholic cult is insane!
ROFLMAO
grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Kobojunkie: 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2022
Gullah:
This is nonsense, the catholic church doesn't have the power to declare people's baptism illegal at all not to talk of over a flimsy excuse as this. The only thing that can make a baptism not to be valid is if it's not done according to Bible directions or principles.
Actually, the church indeed does have the power since the live off their own doctrines and traditions, and so have authority to penalize anyone who does not conform to their business rules as far as their ideas are concerned. undecided

20 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Feb 15, 2022
12rev:

Maybe their own Bible did not say "the letter kills"
What letter kills and why in this context abeg? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Gullah: 4:36pm On Feb 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Actually, the church indeed does have the power since the live off their own doctrines and traditions, and so have authority to penalize anyone who does not conform to their business rules as far as their ideas are concerned. undecided
They have a right to penalize any of their priests or members who err from their laws but they don't have the power to declare anyone's baptism illegal. Baptism is a spiritual ordinance by Jesus Himself, it's not man that decides which one is valid or not, it's God as revealed in His word. Once it's done according to scriptural instructions, the baptism is valid. it doesn't matter whether you confirm to your church directive on the words to use or how to do it. The church can then only penalize whoever did it for not adhering to their own method of doing it but that doesn't render the baptism illegal. The recipient of such baptism don't have to do another baptism.

3 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Kobojunkie: 4:39pm On Feb 15, 2022
Gullah:

They have a right to penalize any of their priests or members who err from their laws but the don't have the power to declare anyone's baptism illegal. Baptism is a spiritual ordinance by Jesus Himself, it's not man that decides which one is valid or not, it's God as revealed in His word. Once it's done according to scriptural instructions, the baptism is valid. it doesn't matter whether you confirm to your church directive on the words to use or how to do it. The church can then only penalize whoever did it for not adhering to their own method of doing it but that doesn't render the baptism illegal. The recipient of such baptism don't have to do another baptism.
The catholic baptisms are also as defined by catholic law, not as defined in scripture as you assume. So like everything else, the church has authority to annul catholic Baptisms not carried out according to catholic Law. undecided

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Gullah: 4:51pm On Feb 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The catholic baptisms are also as defined by catholic law, not as defined in scripture as you assume. So like everything else, the church has authority to annul catholic Baptisms not carried out according to catholic Law. undecided
You are just putting the cart before the horse. Who ordained baptism? Was it Christ or the catholic church? Every church has their own way of doing it which is different and so long as they follow the scriptural instructions, they are valid. It doesn't matter what anyone says. Are you telling me that if I am baptised in a church according to scriptural instructions then I relocate to another place and maybe the new church I attend do it differently then I have to be baptized again? The story didn't say the baptism wasn't done according to the scriptures, it says the priests didn't say I instead of we. That's not a disqualifier in the eyes of God, the Bible didn't say anywhere that you must say we instead of I. God has recognized that baptism and it is valid whether the human denomination accepts it or not. The recipient of such baptism don't have to do another one. The only thing that can render a baptism illegal is if it wasn't done according to the scriptures.

8 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by abobote: 4:55pm On Feb 15, 2022
Before opening the thread, I know he won't be an African man, coz we don't resign.
The grammatical blunder is not enough for him to resign, and to imagine that no one deem it fit to call him to order for 25yrs

3 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by slawormiir: 4:56pm On Feb 15, 2022
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

Imagine...see excuse....

Be him nor use i
He dey use we
Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by crossfm: 4:56pm On Feb 15, 2022
Hehehe.

Watch how some people will start insulting each other now. Even the priest has apologized and asked the church to pray for him,but we Nigerian's that feel we are closer to God will say otherwise.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Siberia01(m): 4:56pm On Feb 15, 2022
Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Mko123(m): 4:56pm On Feb 15, 2022
Very deep
Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Stevenson20: 4:56pm On Feb 15, 2022
What a sad way to end your calling.

1 Like

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by tayour917i(m): 4:57pm On Feb 15, 2022
which kain wahala be dis again

1 Like

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by xcesspaschal(m): 4:57pm On Feb 15, 2022
God bless d church

5 Likes

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by ikorodureporta: 4:57pm On Feb 15, 2022
cheesy
Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by November24(f): 4:58pm On Feb 15, 2022
We don't pay for penance anymore.
Catholic cattles

1 Like

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by Mariangeles(f): 5:00pm On Feb 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What letter kills and why in this context abeg? undecided
grin

Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by callmevirus(m): 5:00pm On Feb 15, 2022
Chosen mopol what do you have to say on this
Is 'we' or 'I'
Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by callmevirus(m): 5:01pm On Feb 15, 2022
Chosen mopol what do you have to say on this
Is it 'we' or 'I'
Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by medropoly(m): 5:01pm On Feb 15, 2022
Bullshit undecided
Re: Father Andres Arango Resigns After 25 Years Over Invalid Baptism - Pictures by 2021matta(f): 5:02pm On Feb 15, 2022
Is this real ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Are 24 Elders In Heaven According To Bible? / How Will You Be Celebrating Your Easter Today? / "Things Are Not Going Well For Us" Happieboys Apologise To Apostle Chinyere (vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.