Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? (1754 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary / Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? / Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by drake99: 9:55pm On Feb 16, 2022
couple of friends of mine who traveled abroad now calls me more often than when they were here in Nigeria. Sincerely speaking, most of them doesn't give a damn about me while they were here.

Another thing I noticed is this, anyone that came back from abroad usually don't want to go back. you know when schools are on holidays, children usually wish inside them that the holidays are prolonged.
That's exactly how people that came back from abroad behave (not all though)

they act so reluctant to return to their base, instead of hurrying to leave this shit hole like we addresses it.

What's your experience

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by pansophist(m): 10:27pm On Feb 16, 2022
To some extent its true and common with freshies. Western system is a very individualistic one, and it takes time to integrate well. My first four years as a student, I went home every summer break for four months. But now, lol, I don't even miss home anymore. Infact I feel lonely in naija now sef.

9 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by dawnomike(m): 10:40pm On Feb 16, 2022
drake99:
couple of friends of mine who traveled abroad now calls me more often than when they were here in Nigeria. Sincerely speaking, most of them doesn't give a damn about me while they were here.

Another thing I noticed is this, anyone that came back from abroad usually don't want to go back. you know when schools are on holidays, children usually wish inside them that the holidays are prolonged.

they act so reluctant to return to their base, instead of hurrying to leave this shit hole like we addresses it.

What's your experience
The way you can flex and catch cruise in Naija is on another level. So, it makes PLA folks wanna stay longer when they visit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by doctore212(m): 10:47pm On Feb 16, 2022
Once I get change to carry olosho . Wetin concern me.

And the juju wey one malam do for me eeeh. Oncei touch these white girls them go follow me go house.
I love oloshos pass my certificate.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by pansophist(m): 10:50pm On Feb 16, 2022
doctore212:
Once I get change to carry olosho . Wetin concern me.

And the juju wey one malam do for me eeeh. Oncei touch these white girls them go follow me go house.
I love oloshos pass my certificate.

Sinner grin

E sure me say you no go enter heaven
Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by obytex(m): 11:00pm On Feb 16, 2022
change is not an easy thing, now changing entirely the place you were born. my first week in Europe was felt with nostalgia feeling I even cried. I felt like going back to Nigeria, but when I remember Buhari, bad economy suffering, and likes, I will encourage myself.

9 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by DoggoneDogg: 11:00pm On Feb 16, 2022
They're are not scared of going back, they were deported.

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by Cousin9999: 11:27pm On Feb 16, 2022
Nah. They're just bored.
Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by ednut1(m): 11:37pm On Feb 16, 2022
Majority are lonely. Your neighbour or landlord no care about you or your life. Flexing is more expensive. You fit branch joint in your street to drink , eat ponmo and watch ball for cheap. Abroad its not that easy. Wedding Nd birthday party’s every week in Nigeria abroad na once in a while and it’s usually boring. For the ladies men have been toasting and calling you for many years. All of a sudden you dont get attention or toasting as men dey fear to be labelled harasser. You try get boyfriend or girlfriend. Una nack one or two times they vanish after that lol. With time they will adjust

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by LILTJAY: 12:25am On Feb 17, 2022
If nigeria was working, nobody will want to go abroad ...
Me if I can have enough millions that will sustain even my 4th generation, grin
I nor go ever travel go abroad maybe for only tourism. .
Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by The5DME(m): 12:25am On Feb 17, 2022
Ishilove come here.
Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by dasparrow: 4:28am On Feb 17, 2022
I am an introvert. I am rarely lonely because I enjoy solitude and a quiet environment anyway. So for me, abroad is perfect. I found living in Nigeria too stressful. Nigeria is more fitted for extroverts who derive energy from being around people all the time. Also, if you love owambe, partying and clubbing, people minding your business and not respecting your boundaries, erratic power supply, loud environment, dirty environment, tribalism, religious intolerance, marginalization and oppression, injustice, abuse, high cost of food items, etc, then Nigeria is for you. Nigeria unfortunately is not my kind of country. I didn't feel safe there and don't intend living there again.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by BigDawsNet: 3:01pm On Feb 17, 2022
Yea, could be sometimes

You know why? Because your neighbor dont give a fcck about who you are ... Not like they hate you ! hahaha dey dint even know you!...

when you arrive home...you unlock the door and go in..stay indoor till you are ready to go out again...

If the door rings... probably the Amazon man or pizza guy delivering some goods...

No one will probably call you to hangout unless you have established some longtime relationship with people around you... And if you go knock on their door... They will likely speak to you right from inside without opening... " Can I help you, do you need something"... So literally all this can create boredom...

In ma own way ... I don't get affected with it .. Because I'm used to be alone maself

I can...
-Work on my system for hours
-Play my console for hour
-Watch Netflix Tv series
-Advice guys on nairaland
-Make a video call to and within US/Across the
world
-Play with my dog

4 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by Amanee(f): 3:21pm On Feb 17, 2022
Been in Europe for almost a year and never felt depressed about living alone. Maybe it's because I mix up with people and find ways to keep myself busy. I can't say the same for Nigerians who travel out and suddenly decide to stop associating with fellow Nigerians for one reason or the other.

My social calendar is always full because I actually have a life over here and I don't see myself returning to Nigeria in a very long time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by pseudonomer: 5:57pm On Feb 17, 2022
BigDawsNet:
Yea, could be sometimes

You know why? Because your neighbor dont give a fcck about who you are ... Not like they hate you ! hahaha dey dint even know you!...

when you arrive home...you unlock the door and go in..stay indoor till you are ready to go out again...

If the door rings... probably the Amazon man or pizza guy delivering some goods...

No one will probably call you to hangout unless you have established some longtime relationship with people around you... And if you go knock on their door... They will likely speak to you right from inside without opening... " Can I help you, do you need something"... So literally all this can create boredom...

In ma own way ... I don't get affected with it .. Because I'm used to be alone maself

I can...
-Work on my system for hours
-Play my console for hour
-Watch Netflix Tv series
-Advice guys on nairaland
-Make a video call to and within US/Across the
world
-Play with my dog

Get yourself a girlfriend man…
Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by BigDawsNet: 7:29pm On Feb 17, 2022
pseudonomer:

Get yourself a girlfriend man…

I definitely have a partner mehn...

Thanks for the advice tho
Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by Kenn55: 7:43pm On Feb 17, 2022
drake99:

What's your experience

Being lonely is a function of where you reside and who you are. It is not an abroad thing. An Igbo man who hasn't left the east before and suddenly finds himself living in a town in Osun will be lonely. A yoruba man who hasn't left the west before but finds himself in a small town in Ebonyi will definitely be lonely. But if you live in Lagos or PH for example, no matter where you come from, you will likely not be lonely

This is the same in abroad too. You can't be lonely in places like Houston, London, Toronto etc cos there is a large community of people who are like you except you are a kind of person who wants to isolate himself or herself. But if you happen to find yourself in one small white town, you will definitely be lonely.

I live abroad and it has been lots of fun.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by Teaser4(m): 9:56pm On Feb 17, 2022
I’m not lonely nor depressed…. I feel safe and secure…kaka la ra ota nle

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by ENG0701: 1:15am On Feb 18, 2022
I wont say it is boring, I will just say a different kind of fun. Nigeria is a flexing country, most countries apart from US and maybe UK are not.
Since I moved to Canada, I have been invited out by friends to cottage, camping, fishing or ice skating. These are not what nigerians consider fun. Their fun is more about activities and quiet fun.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by Raalsalghul: 2:22am On Feb 18, 2022
Cannot relate, maybe it was a function of my location the first time I went there. They can start with the local bars, groups, volunteering opportunities or maybe even church/mosque.

They should also try honoring invitations as they can get to meet more people there. if invited to a bar. Go! A club too? Go! How about dinner? Pfffft, of course yes.
Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by fabyom: 4:55am On Feb 18, 2022
Anyone living abroad and is here on nairaland is lonely as f...k.
They can sugarcoat it all they like.
The only people that see this place as heaven on earth are those that can't afford basic needs in Nigeria.
No place like home! it's just so different!
Make money in Nigeria and you will never want to live here! Facts!
The wealthiest Africans live in Africa!

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by internationalman(m): 10:17am On Feb 18, 2022
Because you can't jump from one house to another in your street abroad you call it lonely.

Because people are minding their business and preoccupied with work you call it lonely

Because even if you buy the latest most expensive car your neighbor or neighborhood wouldn't even notice or couldn't careless you call it lonely..

Because if you post your upgraded fake life on Instagram you wouldn't even so much get so much as a like from your abroad peeps but you get comments like "more wins" from your Nigeria friends you call it lonely..

I would miss those things about Nigeria when I travel out though because it's what I grew up with...

But just as we all have early father and heavenly father, America could be my heavenly home..

4 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by drake99: 4:45pm On Feb 18, 2022
Kenn55:

Being lonely is a function of where you reside and who you are. It is not an abroad thing. An Igbo man who hasn't left the east before and suddenly finds himself living in a town in Osun will be lonely. A yoruba man who hasn't left the west before but finds himself in a small town in Ebonyi will definitely be lonely. But if you live in Lagos or PH for example, no matter where you come from, you will likely not be lonely

This is the same in abroad too. You can't be lonely in places like Houston, London, Toronto etc cos there is a large community of people who are like you except you are a kind of person who wants to isolate himself or herself. But if you happen to find yourself in one small white town, you will definitely be lonely.

I live abroad and it has been lots of fun.
i agree with this, 100%
Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by JapaProfessor: 5:45pm On Feb 18, 2022
Loneliness depends largely on personality type, some people have been practicing loneliness/solitude long before they relocated abroad.
Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by Limassol(m): 5:53pm On Feb 18, 2022
ENG0701 :
I wont say it is boring, I will just say a different kind of fun. Nigeria is a flexing country, most countries apart from US and maybe UK are not.
Since I moved to Canada, I have been invited out by friends to cottage, camping, fishing or ice skating. These are not what nigerians consider fun. Their fun is more about activities and quiet fun.

There are lots of amazing places and fun activities to indulge oneself in abroad. Op make it seem like Nigeria is the be-all-and-end-all, which is not the case. Infact, it could be argued that places like the US, Switzerland or Australia may offer more fun avenues/options than Nigeria for a multitude of reasons(wealth,stability, diverse weather, better infrastructure and governance e.t.c). However, Loneliness/fun itself is entirely relative, as what appeals to one may not for another. Also, the op forgot the fact that one can still be in Nigeria and feel lonely.

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians In Abroad Lonely And Depressed? by Drenimarcus(m): 5:23am On Feb 19, 2022
The society in the western world is an individualistic one. And the pandemic even made people keep to themselves more.

I would say it depends on the state and city you live. You can’t compare someone living in NewYork,Cali,NOLA to someone living in Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas(dead states).

Use the meetup app to find people who have same hobbies as you do. Or, you can head to bars on Fridays or weekends. You will find people. There are tons to do and trust me, folks are out there wanting to meet people.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Kenya Visa / Least Racist European Countries / Crazy Man Fought A Crocodile In Australia ( Pics )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.