Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,990 members, 7,828,498 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 (16886 Views)

Students Strip Kogi University Lecturer Accused Of Sexual Harassment / WASSCE: South-West States To Reopen Schools / Lagos House Of Assembly Passes Yoruba Language Bill Into Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by anonimi: 4:46pm On Feb 18, 2022
MyopicMods:
Yoruba language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara commissioners meet March 3.

https://punchng.com/yoruba-language-south-west-kogi-kwara-commissioners-meet-march-3/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2LBYXvBlGU2C1uCAAFlRdwt6yrW68OdsI2ANaXjSlrsIB9HdOq7Ru9EdI#Echobox=1645184378

Very nice to have people work out ways to avoid Yoruba becoming extinct as English tries to displace people from speaking our own language.
Teaching all primary school subjects in Yoruba is the minimum to promote the language.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by TUTU147: 4:50pm On Feb 18, 2022
dignity33:
Just imagine if this where to be Ohaneze calling for Igbo speaking in River state, delta, Benue and Akwa Ibom for a meeting. All the comment would have being IKWERE no be igbo, delta no be igbo e.t.c. But I always trust igbo people, they always stay away any thread that do not concern them except when you decided to attack them. The reason I make this know to them is to see difference between them and igbos.
Don't mind them, people that don't want to see the igbo united.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by TUTU147: 4:51pm On Feb 18, 2022
It should be yoruba speaking kogi and not kogi state
Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Misterdhee1(m): 4:52pm On Feb 18, 2022
oluwaahmed:

Palace language yoruba? Be like u sniff gutter this morning. Beni that is the oldest monarchy/empire in Nigeria is from yoruba and will be speaking yoruba? You for say make igbo collect Delta, Rivers and Benue because half of them speak Igbo language and answer igbo names nau. Oponu
Benin is the oldest empire in Nigeria and yet has less than 10 million people indigenous people scattered globally. What an empire!!

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Lekison(m): 4:52pm On Feb 18, 2022
ResidentSnitch:
This cowardly attempt at land grabbing is already dead on arrival.
I expect the indigenous owners of Kwara and Kogi to speak out and condemn this daylight attempt to impose a strange culture and language on others.
you must be very stup!d. Kogi west are Yorubas as well as kwarans.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by flokii: 4:56pm On Feb 18, 2022
Topmaike007:
odua agbewa oo

Amin, ase!

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Benwallt(m): 5:00pm On Feb 18, 2022
LegendHero:
OP remove Edo.

Edo shouldn’t be there. The report clearly said the 6 SW states, Kogi, and Kwara.
where is edo written in the text? Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by ultimatekint(m): 5:04pm On Feb 18, 2022
You have to extend your invitation to : Togo , Edo , and Jo's , Coutonu.
Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by nubianwarrior: 5:07pm On Feb 18, 2022
[quote author=Spandau post=110335955]

No way! We don't conscript people like our Igbo brethren are known for. The people of those 2 states have made it clear that they are Niger Deltans(in whatever that means). They are not even Yoruba now. So why should they be included?[/quote

yoruba are majority and we are not forcing minorities from delta and edo to belong

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by ResidentSnitch(f): 5:18pm On Feb 18, 2022
newmoney133:

There is nothing bad in asking questions when you dont know something.
Let me ask a question on your behalf and proceed to answer it.
1.Are there yorubas in kogi and kwara? The answer is yes.
Examples of prominent people Dino,Smart Adeyemi,Lai muhammed(layiwola Mohammed Adekeye)
You seem reasonable out of some dolts that mentioned me. So,
the point is if there are Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi; rather it is if these two places are Yoruba lands.
Are there no Yorubas who have been living in the USA for a very long time? Does that make the USA a Yoruba land? The answer is no.
How then can Yorubas go to another person's land and start imposing their language and culture in the name of promoting their language?
That's the same thing Yorubas opposed vehemently when they stated that Fulanis in the SW are all immigrants and as such, don't have the right to demand for their culture and tradition to be practised in SW; same way they also opposed the 'Eze' title of the Igbos in SW.
Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Iceberg3: 5:18pm On Feb 18, 2022
flokii:
Fantastic.. I so much love this.

Yoruba ni mi, e ma je n sonu.. k'ede ma sonu, k'asa ma se sonu.

#Proudly Odua.

May Eledumare continue to fill our lovely hearts with ideas and innovations to better the Yoruba race and preserve the Yoruba culture.. we should also spread love to others especially the Igbos just like Akeredolu's wife is an amiable igbo woman. Amen!
Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Iceberg3: 5:21pm On Feb 18, 2022
blamingthedevil:

Fulanis in Kwara are not more than 10%
But the majority afonjas bow down flat on the ground for Fulani emir gambari there nah grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Iceberg3: 5:22pm On Feb 18, 2022
flokii:

We've said it several times here that Kwara is predominantly Yoruba even though they prostrate flat and dobale for the master gambari emir grin with other tribes in the minority.
Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by awo666(m): 5:31pm On Feb 18, 2022
dignity33:
Just imagine if this where to be Ohaneze calling for Igbo speaking in River state, delta, Benue and Akwa Ibom for a meeting. All the comment would have being IKWERE no be igbo, delta no be igbo e.t.c. But I always trust igbo people, they always stay away any thread that do not concern them except when you decided to attack them. The reason I make this know to them is to see difference between them and igbos.

Ikwerre people claims they aren't Igbo

Me, I am Igbomina from Kwara and I am full blooded Yoruba. Same as fellow Yorubas from Kwara

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by saintrow1: 5:31pm On Feb 18, 2022
blamingthedevil:

Fulanis in Kwara are not more than 10%

Not even up to 5%

We need to drive them out asap

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by saintrow1: 5:34pm On Feb 18, 2022
Burgerlomo:
But I thought Kwara and Kogi are northern States nau because ayam not understanding, I don't get it and I don't wanna forget it grin

North for where? What is this one talking about? Abi you no go school
Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 18, 2022
iyapont:
What is fulani slaves kwara doing there?? Rubbish

You must be Igbo! No other Nigerian people call other Nigerians Fulani slaves.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Hndrrxxx(m): 5:40pm On Feb 18, 2022
ResidentSnitch:
I expect the indigenous owners of Kwara and Kogi to speak out and condemn this daylight attempt to impose a strange culture and language on others.

Modified

The point is not if there are Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi; rather it is if these two places are Yoruba lands.
Are there no Yorubas who have been living in the USA for a very long time? Does that make the USA a Yoruba land? The answer is no.
How then can Yorubas go to another person's land and start imposing their language and culture in the name of promoting their language?
That's the same thing Yorubas opposed vehemently when they stated that Fulanis in the SW are all immigrants and as such, don't have the right to demand for their culture and tradition to be practised in SW; same way they also opposed the 'Eze' title of the Igbos in SW.
shut your damn mouth 'fore you dropped, nigga

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by esanmantruth: 5:42pm On Feb 18, 2022
Jealousy Dey worry this Yoruba people. To study Igbo language for Oxford University is causing problems to Yoruba people. Politics can’t work there. Igbo people never go for meeting to achieve this glory. Sunday is still in contonue but you refuse to assist him but looking for how to be recognized because of visa. Causing problem any office you work with them with their juju on their waist. I come in peace but you may hate the truth.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by saintrow1: 5:51pm On Feb 18, 2022
pepemendy:
if Yoruba leave kwara there will be nothing left to call state. Out of 16 LGA Yoruba has 14.

The whole of kwara belongs to yorubas, any tribe there are just foreigners. We yorubas are not leaving any pin for any foreigners. Fulani people are not from this geographic location call Nigeria let alone yorubaland. The are pure foreigners.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by caracas: 5:58pm On Feb 18, 2022
LegendHero:

Lol, Edo are not important to the Yoruba, so why should they be added?

Also, we Yorubas do not have the culture of forcing people to belong. Everything we need is within!
N what exactly do you have apart from poverty n skull mining?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Onepeople: 6:00pm On Feb 18, 2022
You won't see igboman contribute on this thread either in support or against the yurobas, but if this thread is to about igbos and other igbo speaking tribe within the old eastern region, the yurobas will disguise as ikwere and delta to insult igboman.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Matrixlord2021: 6:09pm On Feb 18, 2022
A welcome development , however you can't change the fact that the new generation are adapted to foreign ways of life already.It cant change.
Yoruba culture values respect, but respect hasnt given the youths of now anything good.
What we have is a world whereby youths cannot express their intelligence, their prowess , their talents and so on because of respecting their elders.
Parents are planning what the deem fit for the youths never sittng them Down to ask what they wan from them.
Are African parents supportive of their kids.
If we all speak yoruba and there is no meaningful development or progress what is now wrong?
It I a matter of character and attitude that needs to be checked.many youths have done the wishes of their parents for soon long and have been surpressed and oppressed not being able to express themselves the way they at suppose to in the name o respect.
We may look at the white peoples culture, language as rude, but they keep making progress .what is now wrong
Its a fact.
On a negative note , most yoruba language we see on the media promote vulgarity, cursing swearing and ritual killings.
Culturally, lets be sincere, if we want to promote culture, it won't work still.
Why? The enviroment we are in is just too backwards for development.
This is because any towns, villages or so where traditional gods and goddesses are worshipped, it always brings backwardness.
Idolatry brings no development .
Check all the backward villages and town today and you would discover they are serving traditional gods and goddesses.
There is always no development in such areas I tell you this shockinf truth
Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Vado(m): 6:12pm On Feb 18, 2022
iyapont:
I don't rate them, they behave like animals undecided

Which ones do you know or have you met with to infer such dysfunctional notion? There are 16 local government in Kwara many of which has crown wearing Yoruba obas. Maybe Ilorin people were those you met with but go to Omu Aran, Oro, Offa, Ajase, Ekiti etc and say that they shouldn’t identify with their Yorubaness.

Kwara is not just Ilorin!

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Vado(m): 6:19pm On Feb 18, 2022
Burgerlomo:
But I thought Kwara and Kogi are northern States nau because ayam not understanding, I don't get it and I don't wanna forget it grin

Kwara was named West Central State upon creation. Fulani led expansionist strategists influenced its renaming to Kwara. It wasn’t a northern state. It is in the northernmost part of Western Region. Abdulsalam created Geo-Political zones and placed it in North Central. However, to an educated person, A region is different from a Geo-Political zone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by isaacsegun(m): 6:36pm On Feb 18, 2022
Dotez:

Buh isn't it worrisome they ain't ruling the state political wise?
So who are the people that is now ruling? The former governors I knew and present were all Yorubas except Shaba Lafiagi that was a Nupe man. Former governor Ahmed LAWAL was a descendant of Afonja, Bukola Saraki was a Yoruba (Do you know his great grandfather is from Ogun state?), Abdul Fatai Ahmed was a Yoruba from Sharee, and the present governor. Though they are all Muslims.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by blamingthedevil: 6:39pm On Feb 18, 2022
ResidentSnitch:

Modified

The point is not if there are Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi; rather it is if these two places are Yoruba lands.
They are Yorubaland simple

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by newmoney133: 6:59pm On Feb 18, 2022
ResidentSnitch:

the point is if there are Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi; rather it is if these two places are Yoruba lands.

Announcing this on a Facebook post, Emmanuel Ikechukwu Umeonyirioha who is the first lecturer to teach Igbo language in the institution expressed gratitude over the development, promising to bring Igbo language and culture to a global limelight.

According to Umeonyirioha, first Igbo class in the institution will start next week Thursday, 3-4pm. He said, “It is official that I am the first official Igbo Language lecturer at the number one university in the world, the University of Oxford. Our induction happened today by Marion Sadoux, Head of Modern Language Programmes, University of Oxford Language Centre.

https://abntv.com.ng/news/university-oxford-commences-teaching-igbo-language/
(Quote) (Report) 80 Likes (Like) 5 Shares (Share)

I saw this on frontpage yesterday.if the lecturer goes around and encourage igbos in usa on the importance of teaching their children igbo language and preserving their heritage,
Will you call it land grabbing?.The way nigeria is going everybody need to know who are his or her brother and stick together.yorubas in kogi and kwara knows themselves

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Judolisco(m): 7:22pm On Feb 18, 2022
pepemendy:
if Yoruba leave kwara there will be nothing left to call state. Out of 16 LGA Yoruba has 14.
I'm not talking about the other yorubas that have left the yoruba culture totally.. The only thing left is their language... I'm talking about the yorubas from the omuaran area to up to ekiti local government area erinmope and Co that have been sidelined by their ilorin brothers
Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by ADMAF(m): 7:30pm On Feb 18, 2022
ResidentSnitch:

I am Yoruba from Kogi west and we are the original owners of the entire territory. No other ethnicity has ever laid claim to my ancestral land or called us settlers and if you have any evidence to the contrary, lets see it. Otherwise you need to shut up and stop trying to sound like you know what you have zero knowledge about.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language: South-West, Kogi, Kwara Commissioners Meet March 3 by Tallesty1(m): 7:31pm On Feb 18, 2022
sammirano:
Yoruba is the major tribe, and language of Nigeria. Also the most popular.
Even most Igbos speak Yoruba. Yoruba should be the official second language of Nigeria.
What type of careless talk is this?

Most Igbos speak Yoruba? As what?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yoruba Language Classroom / DELSU Sacks 10 Lecturers, 8 Junior Staff Over Extortion, Sexual Harassment / ASUU Strike Suspension: Watch Moment ASUU Called Off Its 1 Month Strike (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.