Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,507 members, 7,812,560 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine (25969 Views)

UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson To Resign Today / Zelensky Says Ukraine Is Ready To Discuss Neutrality - Russian Media / Boris Johnson And Girlfriend, Carrie Symonds Move Into Downing Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by ndo1: 4:47pm On Feb 22, 2022
crestedaguiyi:
UK living on old glory . Make them dare Russia first
UK is just NATO's lapdog.

2 Likes

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by oluwaahmed: 4:48pm On Feb 22, 2022
They should send cowhari to go and teach Russia in the language they understand
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by olas24u(f): 4:50pm On Feb 22, 2022
Zane2point4:

It wont be easy for russia abi the west?

When only the military budget of only one state in america is bigger then all russians budget, who is feeding you guys sef?

that is not true ,russia lowers its defence buget including china
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by uunwanaobong3: 4:51pm On Feb 22, 2022
I love the headline "Put-in goes-in"

By the way

it is good to have wise leaders.....,... Believe me, Russia never wanted to invade Ukraine..... If they wanted to do that, they would have done that long time ago.......... But Ukrainian alliance with American is forcing Russia to push back....... You see, when when you have biden family and other senior American and western citizen meddling in Ukrainian politics, economy and military since 2014 coup against Russia, it is only wise for Russia to take charge as Ukraine is their nextdoor neighbor..........

The only end to this crises is for Ukraine to cut their alligence with America and stay neutral as an independent country... Forget about joining NATO or Russia and stay on your own........ Russia need a buffer zone against the west and Ukraine should provide That by staying neutral.

No western power or NATO can fight Russia if they chose to invade Ukraine because of what is at stake "world nuclear war 3"....... This time around America and their western allies including Russia themselves will be turned to desert overnight.

3 Likes

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by pansophist(m): 4:51pm On Feb 22, 2022
Will the sanctions matters in five years time? How about twenty, fifty or hundred years time? But one thing is certain, the territories are gone for life. And with time, Crimea, Luhansk and Doneskt will be forgotten like ENDsars, it would be a disturbance to international negotiations, especially in a time where the world has entered into a multipolar system, ushering Eurasia as a global power to reckon with. The west better start living with this reality, instead of salivating on past glory.

The UK seems to still see the world from its past empire lense. Only the tiny enclave of Kamchatka, an area less than 3% of Russian territory is larger than the UK combined, but somehow, the UK still consider itself strong enough to deal Russia a heavy blow. Putin, the master geopolitical chessplayer must have done all the necessary economic underground work before recognising the breakaway regions now.

Any sanctions from the west would be at best, dusty, especially when China, an economical giant is not just Russia's neighbour, but an ally with mutual enemy. Russia (alonside few other countries like the US) are the only country in the world that can cut off trade and close their country to the outside world and they will still thrive. Russia is a superpower by the virtue of its size, population, location and resources.

People seems to forget one thing about life, and it is that your survival is the only thing you should never compromise. So you expect Russia due to the fear of sanctions to sacrifice their survival? They should do nothing and let Nato surround them with missles? That it would take a few mins to nuke Russia and they won't be able to defend themselves, talk more of retaliate?. You may sanction me to starvation, but survival and freedom, national sovereignty and security is non negotiable. Only the living build houses. Only a country that survive builds economy. Only true leaders understand this

I've said it times and times again that the world does not operate on morality (what is good or bad, law, justice, etc), those are sweet words for the untrained mind. The world operate in the law of the universe, which is strength and weakness. Look at Africa, we did nothing wrong (morality), but we've been suffering since the west came first in year 1619 to enslave of for three hundred years, then colonise us afterwards, and now, we are a mess. In life, be strong, or you and your country will be a mess like Ukraine.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by chronique(m): 4:53pm On Feb 22, 2022
CrownedPhoenix:
I used to love Putin. The strong no-nonsense untouchable badass ex-KGB agent, man made of steel. A balance to world power etc etc

I thought and believed Russia to be non-expantionist. Loved that country for their resolute willpower throughout history. From the fire of Moscow to Stalin's snipers in Stalingrad, I have loved this country of theirs.

But in this past few weeks I have made time for reflection on the man Putin.

The respectable demeanor and aura he carried has been reduced to dust, revealing another power hungry, devilish Hitler.

I am horribly disturbed by his flagrant disregard for rules of engagement. One a KGB agent should know better about.

Declare recognition for parts of a sovereign State. And then decree troops be deployed into a sovereign state?

This is unacceptable by any standard.

What a low-life cunning way to invade a sovereign State. Some hype it as a game of chess. I call it con.

Watching a man I so much revered talking nonsense history and making an utter fool of himself on TV. Couldn't believe it's same Vladimir Putin I could argue to the moon & back for.

Except China who's waiting to play same script on Taiwan, anybody supporting this insanity just because they hate America should have his/her head checked.

He is saying all the Anti-Putin activists can gather in one place, declare themselves a sovereign State and have other nations recognize them.

He referenced how a country can not pursue it's security to the detriment of another country, what exactly has he just done?

Well, by this provocative action of his, if Ukraine doesn't immediately formally apply to join NATO, then something is wrong.

What are US troops doing in Syria?

3 Likes

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by juman(m): 4:56pm On Feb 22, 2022
nurudeen181:
like what and what has he delivered..

He delivered brexit.
The woman prime minister resigned because she could not deliver that.
UK is one of the first countries that rolled out corona vaccine.
ETC.

3 Likes

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by frog12: 5:02pm On Feb 22, 2022
no be so. they undermine the woman. boris is an hypocrite. na him dey party while people no fit go out in COVID. he suppose resign

juman:

He delivered brexit.
The woman prime minister resigned because she could not deliver that.
UK is one of the first countries that rolled out corona vaccine.
ETC.
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by DemMannaScam: 5:03pm On Feb 22, 2022
Britain is a faded empire. Na SCAMerica & nato dey give dem morale.

Alone they are nothing...

Meanwhile, power has moved to the east.

jayworld15:

Go and read about WW2. The British were the only one standing in Europe after France, the most powerful nation in Europe at the time, fell into Nazi's hand. The fear of the English being subjugated, the pride of the Japans (for the fact they have alliances in Germany and Italy under Hitler and Mussolini respectfully) in which they attacked the American soil, and the growing influence of Hitler and his power over Europe made the Americans to enter WW2. Don't allow this to shock you, same fate of Hitler may follow Putin if this conflict degenerates into a full blown war.

2 Likes

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by Abid2020(m): 5:07pm On Feb 22, 2022
OneCorner:
Lol, this UK sef go dey do like big bro, e no go take Russia 1day to level the whole UK
you don't knoww anything about a war. Russia can not level Nigeria in 1day let alone uk

3 Likes

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by buJu234: 5:07pm On Feb 22, 2022
if the UK is really serious; they should close down the bank accounts of the Oligarchs that are in London banks...

dem nor fit...

London finance market is flooded with a lot of shady money from Russia & old Soviet Union states Oligarchs
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by KingOfAmebo(m): 5:07pm On Feb 22, 2022
GardenOfGod:

TheSunUk

"Wait o, it's like this Righteousness2 get pass 50 moniker here on Nairaland...which one be GardenOfGod again?...

I can just imagine the kind of torture this dude is going through day and night searching for doomsday news to post". - Village People Spokesperson

1 Like

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by oluwaahmed: 5:08pm On Feb 22, 2022
CrownedPhoenix:
I used to love Putin. The strong no-nonsense untouchable badass ex-KGB agent, man made of steel. A balance to world power etc etc

I thought and believed Russia to be non-expantionist. Loved that country for their resolute willpower throughout history. From the fire of Moscow to Stalin's snipers in Stalingrad, I have loved this country of theirs.

The respectable demeanor and aura he carried has been reduced to dust, revealing another power hungry, devilish Hitler.

I am horribly disturbed by his flagrant disregard for rules of engagement. One a KGB agent should know better about.

Declare recognition for parts of a sovereign State. And then decree troops be deployed into a sovereign state?

What a low-life cunning way to invade a sovereign State. Some hype it as a game of chess. I call it con.

Watching a man I so much revered talking nonsense history and making an utter fool of himself on TV. Couldn't believe it's same Vladimir Putin I could argue to the moon & back for.

Except China who's waiting to play same script on Taiwan, anybody supporting this insanity just because they hate America should have his/her head checked.

He is saying all the Anti-Putin activists can gather in one place, declare themselves a sovereign State and have other nations recognize them.

He referenced how a country can not pursue it's security to the detriment of another country, what exactly has he just done?

Well, by this provocative action of his, if Ukraine doesn't immediately formally apply to join NATO, then something is wrong.
Read the below and the truth.
Successive Ukrainian governments in the 2000s sought a closer relationship with the European Union (EU).[41][42] The government of president Viktor Yanukovych had been negotiating an association agreement with the European Union since 2012.[43] Such comprehensive trade agreement with the EU would have impacted Ukraine's trade agreements with Russia, the latter being Ukraine's biggest trade partner at the time.[44] Yanukovych believed that the complications could be addressed, and he said that he intended to enter the agreement,[45] but continued to postpone.[46] This was interpreted as an attempt to back out of signing this agreement, and led to a wave of protests which came to be known as the "Euromaidan" movement.
Protests originally erupted in November 2013 after President Viktor Yanukovych refused to sign a political association and free trade agreement with the European Union at a meeting of the Eastern Partnership in Vilnius, Lithuania, choosing closer ties with Russia instead. Prime Minister Mykola Azarov had asked for €20 billion (US$27 billion) in loans and aid.[47] The EU was willing to offer €610 million ($838 million) in loans,[48] but Russia was willing to offer $15 billion,[48] as well as cheaper gas prices.[48] In addition, the EU demanded major changes to Ukraine's regulations and laws, but Russia did not.[47] Russia also applied economic pressure on Ukraine and launched a propaganda campaign against the EU deal.[49]

Yanukovych was widely disliked in Ukraine's west but had some support in the east, where his native Russian is much more spoken, and in the south. The rallies were initially peaceful but became violent in January 2014 after Parliament, dominated by Yanukovych's supporters, passed laws intended to repress the protests. The European Union and the United States urged Yanukovych to negotiate a peaceful end to the conflict and said they would impose sanctions on government officials if they were found responsible for violence.[50]

In the lead-up to the February revolution an amnesty agreement was made with protesters wherein they would be spared criminal charges in exchange for leaving occupied buildings.[51] The demonstrators vacated all occupied Regional State Administration buildings, and activists in Kyiv left the Hrushevskoho Street standoff; Kyiv's City Hall was also released back to government control on 16 February.[51] All those previously jailed for taking part in protests were scheduled to be released after 17 February.[51]

On 14 February, Yanukovych had said: "I want to say that I was incited, and I'm incited to use various methods and ways how to settle the situation, but I want to say I don't want to be at war. I don't want any decisions made using such a radical way."[52] He called on all politicians to refrain from radicalism and to understand that "there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, and this line is law".[52]

1 Like

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by CoronaVirusPro: 5:10pm On Feb 22, 2022
crestedaguiyi:
UK living on old glory . Make them dare Russia first

What does Russia has outside Nuclear warheads?

It’s artillery’s are outdated and what they hype for you on media can’t even stand against the bests in the world

A country with outdated tanks, substandard jets and one aircraft carrier. In a full blown war, NATO will turn it to rubbles

Seems you forget UK is a force in Naval warfare.

You mentioning countries that are technologically far ahead of Russia. They have cripple it’s economy already and will bury the economy

Russians are migrating out of the country at a all time high due to hardship and y’all here hyping a country cos of its nuclear warhead.

Russia is in same position with North Korea, country has nothing to boast of outside Nuclear warheads

5 Likes

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by AdeolaOmoOba(m): 5:10pm On Feb 22, 2022
Now! The True Value of Trump will be missed.
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by Mccullum: 5:11pm On Feb 22, 2022
Putin diplomacy is all about security of Russia, he needed the newly recognized republics as loyal nations for security of Russia, this is what Ukraine not ready to offer as she continue to align with west countries.

This made Russia seeing Ukraine as foe..

They'll sanctioned Russia, it'll not be much effective because Russia has prepared for how to handle it..

Ukraine can't still join NATO if not Russia will invade Ukraine..

Putin may be viewed as an aggressor, he was just responding to US aims and objective of arranging Russia to be short distance target of attack in case of war.

This replicated reply of Russia in 1962 that caused Cuba missile crisis.

6 Likes

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by obedience4(m): 5:11pm On Feb 22, 2022
It so painful that people are not informed.. The Russia economy is in crumbles.. Funny people are hailing Putin... Will Russia with is failing economic win a war against NATO.. . the same Soviet union that the Germans overrun.if not for the united States coming into the war.. Use your phone and Google the Russia economy its GPD has been failing since 2008 when the first sanctions roll in.. Russia wants to go to war with Europe the same Europe that is it's Major trading partner.. The same Europe that buys 70 percent of it's gas.. It so funny that the people of Russia can't stand up against a terrant ..now the gas pipe line nord stream they invested Billion of dollars has just been suspended by German.. Putting the Russia economy in free fall, just because you want to satisfy your ego..
If Putin is a bad ass why don't he attack small country likes Latvia Poland are they not part of the formal Soviet union.. He can't because he knows they are part of NATO.. And attack on any NATO triggers article 20 which says an attack on one is seen as an attack on all.. If Ukraine was in NATO Putin doesn't have the bals...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by Nobody: 5:11pm On Feb 22, 2022
CrownedPhoenix:

He is only trying to not have American weapons (including lgbt clowns) at the corridors of the great Russia.. Is that too much to ask? Be honest as u answer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by mauchiz: 5:12pm On Feb 22, 2022
Nobody knows what is giving Russia mind or what there plans are.

Putin is a very hard guy, after what the world went through, and a lot of people died, he still wants war?
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by TheGift: 5:13pm On Feb 22, 2022
dultraray:

Go online, they're YouTube videos that explains the situation on ground

What the person needs is a simple nairaland summary not a data consuming rabbit hole of YouTube videos..

1 Like

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by FA13(m): 5:13pm On Feb 22, 2022
When will Putin leave the cold war mindset and become liberal?

Russians need to develop their economy outside military and warfare.

If not for the oil and gas they have in abundance, they would have been one of the backward countries like NK with this his ideology.
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by bluefilm: 5:18pm On Feb 22, 2022
So we should be expecting some Cobra abi Python Dance after their meeting?
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by wink2015(m): 5:21pm On Feb 22, 2022
Britain is the key figure in this alliance against Russia.

They are at the forefront of punishing Russia at every given moment even if the United States is not too keen on take a hardline.

I know Russia will find a golden opportunity to get at Britain sometime in the future.

1 Like

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by OneCorner: 5:23pm On Feb 22, 2022
Abid2020:
you don't knoww anything about a war. Russia can not level Nigeria in 1day let alone uk
U think say na 1947 we dey ba
Even in 1945, with the technology then, America wiped 2 Japanese cities with population of About 400,000 And floored it in to shambles, even till now, they are still reeling from the effects of the nuclear bomb so what are you telling me about UK again?
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by frog12: 5:26pm On Feb 22, 2022
how about naijs economy? e better? grin grin
hypocrites.
the west dey cry because PUTIN don spoil their plan

obedience4:
It so painful that people are not informed.. The Russia economy is in crumbles.. Funny people are hailing Putin... Will Russia with is failing economic win a war against NATO.. . the same Soviet union that the Germans overrun.if not for the united States coming into the war.. Use your phone and Google the Russia economy its GPD has been failing since 2008 when the first sanctions roll in.. Russia wants to go to war with Europe the same Europe that is it's Major trading partner.. The same Europe that buys 70 percent of it's gas.. It so funny that the people of Russia can't stand up against a terrant ..now the gas pipe line nord stream they invested Billion of dollars has just been suspended by German.. Putting the Russia economy in free fall, just because you want to satisfy your ego..
If Putin is a bad ass why don't he attack small country likes Latvia Poland are they not part of the formal Soviet union.. He can't because he knows they are part of NATO.. And attack on any NATO triggers article 20 which says an attack on one is seen as an attack on all.. If Ukraine was in NATO Putin doesn't have the bals...

1 Like

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by frog12: 5:27pm On Feb 22, 2022
when will you stop putting your nose in other people's business ? grin grin grin

FA13:

If not for the oil and gas they have in abundance, they would have been one of the backward countries like NK with this his ideology.
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by OneCorner: 5:28pm On Feb 22, 2022
FA13:

Military hardware sells more than those oil and gas sometimes
America’s B-2 Spirit sells for about 3 billion dollars per one
So investing in military is not always a bad idea

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by kkins25(m): 5:28pm On Feb 22, 2022
Rugaria:

The West are trying to wreck The Russian economy with sanctions and are systematically luring Putin into taking aggressive posturings on the Ukraine/NATO issue.. Obviously, Russia needs to act, but with Ukraine insistence on joining NATO, Russias actions can be used to leverage the narrative that Putin is a power hungry dictator, desperate to control all of Eastern Europe.?

Military actions taken by Russia over this, just like in the case of the invasion of cremea, provides the West with the excuse they need to increase sanctions, as they try to shut off Russias expanding energy/gas entanglement with Western Europe. Not a coincidence that this is happening after Angela Mikel..
you deserve beer! before i side with USA i go first check motive cuz that country na smart devils full am. lol

1 Like

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by paulasticity: 5:29pm On Feb 22, 2022
The Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms (COBR) are meeting rooms in the Cabinet Office in London. These rooms are used for committees which co-ordinate the actions of government bodies in response to national or regional crises, or during overseas events with major implications for the UK. It is popularly referred to as COBRA.
Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 22, 2022
Did we just noticed that the Ukrainian president has just gone quiet. I think the heat of war is around him now...at the Munich meeting, he was opening his mouth any how. Now Ukraine can't join NATO. Because Europe will be drawn into war with Russia and nuclear missiles Will fly. No nation in Europe want to be annihilated because of Ukraine.
Ukraine economy is now in crumble. With costs of living at all time high.
Ukraine should have implemented the Minsk agreement. Now the only path to peace is war. Either Ukraine attacks Russia now or forget about donbas and NATO for ever.

3 Likes

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by Ratorichie(m): 5:33pm On Feb 22, 2022
jayworld15:
There are similar pointers in what is happening today between Russia and Ukraine to what happened in WW2. The same way Hitler started, promised he won't invade Poland, before becoming power hungry is the same way Putin is going in this issue. I hope he won't end up like Hitler.

Key difference: Germany was not a nuclear power...
As a tier 1 nuclear armed nation, Russia can't be defeated... Any conflict between US and Russia will quickly escalate into a nuclear exchange where there's a guaranteed mutually assured destruction.
Therefore, both country high command make sure that their military doesn't come in direct contact with each other.
The same reason that Joe Biden right from the beginning that US will not send troops to Ukrainem and he has even evacuated the 150 US National guard troops that were in a training mission to Ukraine.
That's the reason the west are only threatening Sanctions rather than a military response.

5 Likes

Re: FIGHTING TALK: Boris Johnson To Hold Cobra Meeting Today To Discuss Ukraine by Nobody: 5:34pm On Feb 22, 2022
paulasticity:

The Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms (COBR) are meeting rooms in the Cabinet Office in London. These rooms are used for committees which co-ordinate the actions of government bodies in response to national or regional crises, or during overseas events with major implications for the UK. It is popularly referred to as COBRA.

Where is the 'A' coming from?

You want to denie lala his buffet.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Liberia’s President Goes Bananas At Yahya Jammeh Over Recorde Conversation / Fatuma Gedi Beaten By Rashid Kassim (Kenyan Lawmakers) / The World’s Largest Gay Mass Wedding Holds In Brazil [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.