Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,333 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity (17487 Views)

Jubilation As Benue State Make Plans To Own & Manage Their Electricity Companies / Nigerian Government Moves To Sell Power Generating Companies, Invites Bids / Shehu Sani Cautions LG Chairmen Spending Money On State Governors’ Directive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by murmee: 3:07pm On Mar 03, 2022
Parachoko:
DISCOS don't generate light, they only distribute.

The problem now is that, state might generate, but discos will fail to buy most of what the states are generating

There should be a bill that will make more distribution company start operating as DISCOS too

I might be wrong though.
You are actually quite right!
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by angelfallz(m): 3:26pm On Mar 03, 2022
I don't know. However, don't think that it is easy to get permission from the federal government for such things.
It is all about control. Even the Dangote refinery the FGN of Nigeria still had a say in it and not Lagos State government.
So restructuring would help a lot.

jmoore:

Have any state applied to own/build a refinery and the FG rejected?
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by CaptainFM1: 3:35pm On Mar 03, 2022
Parachoko:

The problem now is that, state might generate, but discos will fail to buy most of what the states are generating

There should be a bill that will make more distribution company start operating as DISCOS too

I might be wrong though.

It will have to start from bottom up! If consumers are not paying or not willing to pay for the price of electricity, DISCo too will not function well, and consequently affects how much electricity they will buy from GenCos.

The first thing we need to tackle in this country is poverty. We need more money to flow around. Esp among the masses and common man on the road. It is when they are belle-ful that they will be able to pay the right price of electricity.

I know for a fact, that electricity is not cheap anywhere in the world. The cost of producing electricity is way too beyond the #36,000 minimum wage an average earner can afford.
Las Las, na thiefing and stealing, by-passing or not paying at all many go do.

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by countryman13: 5:45pm On Mar 03, 2022
kayuseful:

Delete point 5
Electricity isn't cheap anywhere
It could even be more expensive due to disadvantaged economics of scale now

Modified: this is why we must mind who we vote in 2023. Vote in another anti-restructuring man and he will pressure the house to cancel states taking VAT and power
Nothing but d truth. U ll definitely b paying heavily for having a constant supply. Many Nigerians actually want 24/7 electricity which is ideal but d capacity/willingness to pay is not there n dt is why U see many meter bypass across Disco's network. Even in advance country where electricity seems to b stable,d payment is on d high side.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by countryman13: 5:51pm On Mar 03, 2022
NaMe4:

Exactly. Besides MOST of the infrastructure being utilised by the present DISCOS are state-owned and were not put in place by these DISCOS.

This is most needed in Edo state
It's not true bro dt most of d infrastructure bn used by d present Discos are Govt owned. D defunct NEPA/PHCN had some of these things in place long ago. Edo state (Benin) was a very strong zone under NEPA then. Are you telling me dt BEDC office at Akpakpava is owned by d state?
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by countryman13: 5:55pm On Mar 03, 2022
[quote author=gaddafe post=110696931]Op we haven't seen the bill so these comments for now might not be in order. Did the bill give states the power to set up distribution company or generating company? Discos distribute while gencos generate. And the last I heard, there is enough power been generated but the discos were not buying it so the power ends up being wasted. So establishing more Genco might be fruitless. Any I will comment more when I see the bill[/quo
One of the major problem is obsolete facilities. Some of these distribution transformers U re seeing can't b energized for 72hours non stop. There are some places they use substandard aluminum conductor which ll definitely affect d supply U re getting at d receiving end.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by countryman13: 6:01pm On Mar 03, 2022
Starberg:

This is actually true in West and North. But the business men and women will not allow that to exist because of the importation of generator.
But generators are equally used for generation of electricity now either tru diesel or natural gas. Lagos state Govt already have a generation station powering d Govt house n d neighborhood(called MAINLAND POWER)
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Phaantom22: 6:12pm On Mar 03, 2022
Several states had been generating electricity , I think the problem has been in distribution aspect
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Funkybabee(f): 8:53pm On Mar 03, 2022
I believe it will be a great thing for my state

Osun
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Mozhac(m): 10:36pm On Mar 03, 2022
Very nice. It is a great idea
Starberg:
The National Assembly passed the bill for State to generate their electricity.

These are my views:

1. This will break the monopoly of Discos
2. The State Governors will have no where to hide their inadequates.
3.The people will know whom and where to lodge their complaints.
4.The state governments would want to compete with one another by looking into other source of power like solar etc.
5. Price of services will fall like barbing, photocoping etc.
6. Investors would want to invest in states with adequate electricity supply
7. It will be used as one of the criteria to judge a parforming Governor.
8. Las las Ghana will stop mocking us with light
9. Less attention will be focused on fuel.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by bluejay1860: 3:53am On Mar 04, 2022
The Bill's says state can now generate, distribute and transmit their own power. It therefore means, DISCOS has no monopoly power distribution anymore

Parachoko:

I might be wrong though.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by oyatz(m): 7:05am On Mar 04, 2022
gaddafe:

I dare you to provide a link to the bill and let's analyse it. The house of Assembly does not have the power to use the word "any means they feel like". Rather states will only generate power with the approved means of generation which will be approved by the federal government. Also that's not even the main issue here as I didn't quote you. Power sector is divided into generation, transmission and distribution. If the house approved state for generating power, it means the federal is still in charge of the other two sections. I bet you didn't know this. Please think we'll next time before quoting me.

What really happened was that Electricity was taken from the Exclusive list to the Concurrent list so both the States and the FG can legislate on it, just like Education & Health.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Nonosiloku: 7:16am On Mar 04, 2022
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by dochenaj: 8:18am On Mar 04, 2022
The biggest problem with power in Nigeria is the Discos not the Gencos. And the worst part is that the Discos have monopoly over states/districts they supply power.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by BloomingDale(f): 3:28pm On Mar 04, 2022
dochenaj:
The biggest problem with power in Nigeria is the Discos not the Gencos. And the worst part is that the Discos have monopoly over states/districts they supply power.

Then the state legislature should change amend the constitution.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by COMPAQ(m): 9:30am On Mar 06, 2022
Axis313:

What you said right now got me thinking seriously,if my state government can build and operate a functional refinery,even as a non oil producing state,it will generate enormous income for the state.
Imagine,buying crude oil from NNPC,refine it and come out with like over 20 finished petroleum products like petrol,diesel,kerosene,jet fuel,engine oil,infact they are many,you think that state will be waiting for federal allocation?Never.
And the state will be self sufficient,also petroleum products will be available in the country.
Only if there is seriousness on the side of the government and leakages are blocked to avoid corruption.

The margins from refining crude are very, very thin. So to make good money, you have to operate a a large scale, hence why Dangotes refinery is so large and su.ported by petrochemical and fertilizer. And operated competently by the private sector. Trust me, no state will be able to build a large enough plant and run it competently enough to make money.

As you should know by now, government in Nigeria, whether state or FG are the worst operators of business globally!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fuel Price Vs. Minimum Wage In Opec Countries Inc. Nigeria / EFCC Disowns Ekweremadu As Anti-corruption Ambassador / PDP Chairmanship: South-east PDP Caucus Endorse Secondus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.