Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,122 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity (17518 Views)

Jubilation As Benue State Make Plans To Own & Manage Their Electricity Companies / Nigerian Government Moves To Sell Power Generating Companies, Invites Bids / Shehu Sani Cautions LG Chairmen Spending Money On State Governors’ Directive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by babyfaceafrica: 7:40am On Mar 03, 2022
Ttalk:

Unless if what I use is no longer electricity. More cheaper, stable, reliable and lasting.
Don't buy the dummy Nigerian government and PHCN is selling, they only giving excuse for their incompetence
The other guy has a point, stable light is expensive. What most governments do is subsidise it for their citizens.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Cmanforall: 10:49am On Mar 03, 2022
Supported
8f it can make some states have 24hr power and develope, others will step up
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Splitmind: 10:50am On Mar 03, 2022
This is a very sad development and needs to be stopped immediately
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by sogamica(m): 10:51am On Mar 03, 2022
its a good idea thou it will be badly managed Ogun State had one that they can't afford to fuel it
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by adefitim(m): 10:53am On Mar 03, 2022
Anything that will lead to development I am open to it
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Skillsnigeria: 10:54am On Mar 03, 2022
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by SmartPolician: 10:54am On Mar 03, 2022
jmoore:
There will be no significant changes if we still have mediocre governors.

Nothing stops government from having refineries in their states. But how many governors in Nigeria built a refinery?

Resources are owned and controlled by the Federal government. No state government has the right to harness the resources in their state. That's why people are calling for restructuring. Now, you know how your country works.

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by christtar(m): 10:54am On Mar 03, 2022
Starberg:
The National Assembly passed the bill for State to generate their electricity.

These are my views:

1. This will break the monopoly of Discos
2. The State Governors will have no where to hide their inadequate.
3.The people will know whom and where to lodge their complaints.
4.The state governments would want to compete with one another by looking into other source of power like solar etc.
5. Price of services will fall like barbing, photocopying etc.
6. Investors would want to invest in states with adequate electricity supply
7. It will be used as one of the criteria to judge a performing Governor.
8. Las las Ghana will stop mocking us with light
9. Less attention will be focused on fuel.
You mean GenCos?
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by King44(m): 10:55am On Mar 03, 2022
That's one of the best solution to this problem we are in. Each States should generate their electricity.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by godofuck231: 10:55am On Mar 03, 2022
Gives that state the power to industralise itself and generate revenue
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Nobody: 10:55am On Mar 03, 2022
No problem, but the thing is, for me

1.States must be allowed to charge for power at a profit, not at a loss

2.Poeple, and governments, and companies, must all pay for the power they consume...yes even if you 'have not gotten a meter, or have not had power for 2 weeks' ...because that is how the power companies would get money to fix things.

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by angelfallz(m): 10:57am On Mar 03, 2022
It is a welcome development
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by GalaxieseventsW(m): 10:57am On Mar 03, 2022
Its Cool
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by SmartPolician: 10:57am On Mar 03, 2022
Goddyj:
If he starts it, the next governor will finish it. Dave has set a standard which the next coming Governor will try to follow, if not Ebonyians won't take it lightly with that Governor.

Setting high standards doesn't change anything in Nigerian politics. These things are even worse in states with no strong opposition.

For instance, Sullivan Chime set a high standard in Enugu as governor. When he left the stage, a hopeless buffoon aka madam replaced him. It has also happened in Cross River, Delta, etc.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Deeprooted: 10:58am On Mar 03, 2022
For it this to be effective, fiscal Federalism should be adopted.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by talktimi(m): 11:00am On Mar 03, 2022
Better for me in Rivers state, I don't see why the electricity generated here will be used to power Abuja and Gombe when I don't even have enough light. Everybody should carry their cross biko cool

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by akpunda86: 11:00am On Mar 03, 2022
Starberg:
The National Assembly passed the bill for State to generate their electricity.

These are my views:

1. This will break the monopoly of Discos
2. The State Governors will have no where to hide their inadequates.
3.The people will know whom and where to lodge their complaints.
4.The state governments would want to compete with one another by looking into other source of power like solar etc.
5. Price of services will fall like barbing, photocoping etc.
6. Investors would want to invest in states with adequate electricity supply
7. It will be used as one of the criteria to judge a parforming Governor.
8. Las las Ghana will stop mocking us with light
9. Less attention will be focused on fuel.

Good when generating,under what distribution lines will they use,Many of our distribution lines are obselete,after generating,you use what Transmission line,I'll use Geometric power in Aba lying idle for years,the design of the plant was great,They created their own distribution line independent of Govt transmission line,infact if they are operating,90% of companies in Aba wants to be integrated to their system,where are they today,power plant lying Idle,

Is a good Law but the environment is not conducive .

States like Lagos,Portharcourt,Aba with a high industrial cluster can do it.

On the areas of Gas,All states needs to be interconnected with Gas,like In Aba the gas line is from Portharcourt,.

Many of the Discos are liquidated,under the Management of the banks.very soon many of the Disco staff be going on strike.

Power Management needs a proper seperation from all the different entities,Discos,Gencos and Transmission

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Talkizcheap: 11:01am On Mar 03, 2022
The hard truth is; this Assembly regardless of popular opinion has fared better than the previous in bills beneficial to the masses.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by BluntCrazeMan: 11:01am On Mar 03, 2022
Parachoko:
I don't understand you

Are you saying states will not just generate but also distribute?
He is saying that States will be generating and also be distributing what they generated.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Jonegonu: 11:02am On Mar 03, 2022
Abeg delete number 5 because the price of the light will be high in urban area considering the cost of living
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by SocialJustice: 11:02am On Mar 03, 2022
Parachoko:
DISCOS don't generate light, they only distribute.

The problem now is that, state might generate, but discos will fail to buy most of what the states are generating

There should be a bill that will make more distribution company start operating as DISCOS too

I might be wrong though.
There are backdoors to bypass selling your electricity to NBET. There are arrangements where private entities generate electricity and sell directly to customers. The biggest backdoor I see is incorporating towns or parts of ot into business entities that have the right to buy electricity from power plants.

The world is moving away from grid electricity to modular or own power production.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by elpee2015(m): 11:03am On Mar 03, 2022
The bill is about generating, transmitting and distribution of power. Generation of electricity is not the major problem that we have ( though) we are still not generating enough but transmission and distribution. The gencos have a lot of generated power not being taken off by TCN and subsequently discos because of infrastructural deficits but with the passing of this bill, the power sector is expected to open up well, depending on the political will of state actors. State actors can generate and distribute power to the people within their locale. State actors can set up distribution channels directly from gencos to communities and so on. The possibilities are endless. There are a whole lot of wasted power from private firms that can now be distributed for people to use. Though power is not cheap, but it stimulates the economy and increases purchasing power so people should be able to afford it. It also brings competition, giving these discos a run for there money

1 Like

Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by tnerro1(m): 11:03am On Mar 03, 2022
This is good news, any governor that cannot generate electricity for his state will lose investments to states that can.

Hope the 10th assembly will revisit the issue of state police, we need to decentralize the police
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Focusmind: 11:05am On Mar 03, 2022
The advent of Discos is the biggest scam ever in the electricity sector. It has hindered serious investors from investing, since DISCOS now controls the distribution network assets and have refused private investors from accessing those legacy infrastructure assets they acquired from the defunct PHCN and NEPA, respectively.

As long as discos still have monopoly over the transmission and connection lines, any State government that wants to distribute electricity would have to go through them and their inefficiencies and ineptitudeness will be transferred to it. If distribution is still in the hands of government under the former PHCN, state could agree with FG to generate and transmit through the network and distribution infrastructure located in their respective states.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Jonegonu: 11:06am On Mar 03, 2022
talktimi:
Better for me in Rivers state, I don't see why the electricity generated here will be used to power Abuja and Gombe when I don't even have enough light. Everybody should carry their cross biko cool
how many power plant is there in port harcourt
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Reference(m): 11:06am On Mar 03, 2022
Parachoko:
DISCOS don't generate light, they only distribute.

The problem now is that, state might generate, but discos will fail to buy most of what the states are generating

There should be a bill that will make more distribution company start operating as DISCOS too

I might be wrong though.

I was in Portharcourt a while ago and the establishment I visited was considering migrating from the State grid to the Federal Grid which was more stable in that location.
I did see two distinct 33kv lines passing overhead.
Didn't quite understand how that worked out in this present power regime.
Riverians should enlighten us about this.
Re: What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity by Amah70: 11:06am On Mar 03, 2022
While Abuja continues to take the lion share of proceeds from mineral resources and internationally generated revenues. This is roguish, as Abuja continues to shed its responsibilities to the people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Declares Friday, Monday Public Holidays / Why We Are Running "Slow Government" - Buhari / JUST IN: Buhari Sets Targets For Incoming Ministers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.