Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,252 members, 7,811,698 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us (1149 Views)

2.0 GPA Colleges: A List Of Colleges Accepting Low CGPA For Masters / Canada Vs Uk: Which Country Is Better For Master. / Can I Get A Post Graduate Admission With A Gre Score Of 288 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by HairyBalls: 7:02pm On Mar 02, 2022
Hi guys,

So I just graduated and I'm currently serving but I keep thinking what's next after this.

So i'll go straight to the point.

I'm looking to study abroad preferably us,but the thing is my cgpa isn't up to the standard requirements as I've checked online.

I graduated with a 2.1(3.63) in mechanical engineering to be exact. I'm hoping to get a high score in GRE and IELTS so my chances can be high.

Do you have any ideas about good universities in us that will accept me to study there as my cgpa isn't really high.

I'll appreciate your comments.

Please don't hesitate to drop your inputs as it's really important to me smiley

1 Like

Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by 2braithe: 7:15pm On Mar 02, 2022
I'm not really experienced in this but I don't think your CGPA is really low EXCEPT you're looking for a scholarship.Even at that,you will still see funding with 2:1.

There are people with 2:2 going for masters abroad.So,I feel you don't have any problem with CGPA stuff.
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by MufasaLion: 7:18pm On Mar 02, 2022
Yea, there are schools that's gonna offer you admission with your CGPA. Also, CGPA, GRE and Language Proficiency Exams ain't the only thing required. Even if you have a lower CGPA, your motivation letter could add to your advantage.
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by HairyBalls: 7:45pm On Mar 02, 2022
2braithe:
I'm not really experienced in this but I don't think your CGPA is really low EXCEPT you're looking for a scholarship.Even at that,you will still see funding with 2:1.

There are people with 2:2 going for masters abroad.So,I feel you don't have any problem with CGPA stuff.
Thanks

Do you have any idea of the universities that will accept me?
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by HairyBalls: 8:38pm On Mar 02, 2022
MufasaLion:
Yea, there are schools that's gonna offer you admission with your CGPA. Also, CGPA, GRE and Language Proficiency Exams ain't the only thing required. Even if you have a lower CGPA, your motivation letter could add to your advantage.
Thanks

You have any idea of which uni to start from...
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by 2braithe: 10:12pm On Mar 02, 2022
HairyBalls:

Thanks

Do you have any idea of the universities that will accept me?

No but you can make some google searches.
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by MufasaLion: 10:12pm On Mar 02, 2022
HairyBalls:

Thanks

You have any idea of which uni to start from...

There are many.

University of Alabama
Cornell University
University of Idaho, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by 1stGenAmerican(f): 10:00am On Mar 03, 2022
MufasaLion:

There are many.

University of Alabama
Cornell University

Are you here in the US?
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by HairyBalls: 10:04am On Mar 03, 2022
MufasaLion:

There are many.

University of Alabama
Cornell University
Okay thanks

I'll do my research
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by Solatium(m): 11:24am On Mar 03, 2022
HairyBalls:
Hi guys,

So I just graduated and I'm currently serving but I keep thinking what's next after this.

I'm looking to study abroad preferably us,but the thing is my cgpa isn't up to the standard requirements as I've checked online.

I graduated with a 2.1(3.63) in mechanical engineering to be exact. I'm hoping to get a high score in GRE and IELTS so my chances can be high.

Do you have any ideas about good universities in us that will accept me to study there as my cgpa isn't really high.

There is nothing wrong with your CGPA we use 5.0 in this part of the world,but in the US is either 6.0 or 7.0.
You are good to go bro
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by MufasaLion: 12:31pm On Mar 03, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Are you here in the US?

No.

I'm in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by MufasaLion: 12:32pm On Mar 03, 2022
HairyBalls:

Okay thanks

I'll do my research

Please do. You can quote me if you have any other question(s).
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by Nozino: 4:27pm On Mar 04, 2022
HairyBalls:
Hi guys,

Your gpa is not low.

2 Likes

Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by Nozino: 4:43pm On Mar 04, 2022
Solatium:

There is nothing wrong with your CGPA we use 5.0 in this part of the world,but in the US is either 6.0 or 7.0.
You are good to go bro

The US uses 4.0.
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by HairyBalls: 5:41pm On Mar 04, 2022
Nozino:

Your gpa is not low.
Really?

The thing is I tried checking requirements for universities like mit, University of Michigan ,Harvard also....and I saw something like 3.88 on a scale of 4.0 .

Now if I convert my GPA to a scale of 4..it's going to be 2.9 which looks low to me

That's why I had to come here to find people that would recommend institutions(good ones) that will tally with my GPA
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by Nozino: 6:08pm On Mar 04, 2022
HairyBalls:

Really?

The thing is I tried checking requirements for universities like mit, University of Michigan ,Harvard also....and I saw something like 3.88 on a scale of 4.0 .

Now if I convert my GPA to a scale of 4..it's going to be 2.9 which looks low to me

That's why I had to come here to find people that would recommend institutions(good ones) that will tally with my GPA

You should try evaluating it and see the final outcome. Secondly, for an international student from Africa, Ivy Leagues shouldn’t be your first choice especially considering the fact that you’re yet to sit for any standardized exam.

If it helps, I have HND(2.98/4.00) which Wes evaluated to 3.34/4.00( US scale) I have gotten into two Ph.D program in Industrial Engineering and I read Mechanical Engineering too.

1 Like

Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by HairyBalls: 6:42pm On Mar 04, 2022
Nozino:

You should try evaluating it and see the final outcome. Secondly, for an international student from Africa, Ivy Leagues shouldn’t be your first choice especially considering the fact that you’re yet to sit for any standardized exam.

If it helps, I have HND(2.98/4.00) which Wes evaluated to 3.34/4.00( US scale) I have gotten into two Ph.D program in Industrial Engineering and I read Mechanical Engineering too.

Okay so which steps do you suppose I take?
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by Nozino: 8:37pm On Mar 04, 2022
HairyBalls:

Okay so which steps do you suppose I take?

Evaluate your result with WES(if you want)

Write GRE

Write TOEFL ( Depending on the school and/or programme)

Ask your lecturers for recommendation letter.

Apply to schools.
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by Solatium(m): 10:50pm On Mar 04, 2022
Nozino:

The US uses 4.0.

Not all of them,theost common is 6.0
Re: Low CGPA,HIgh GRE score.Looking For Master's In Us by Nozino: 10:53pm On Mar 04, 2022
Solatium:

Not all of them,theost common is 6.0

Give an example. Be sure of what you’re saying.

(1) (Reply)

Brt Lane / Beware Of Security Guards At The Uk Visa Application Centres / A Long, And Dangerous?, Trip From Abuja To Chad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.