Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria (11525 Views)

Tompolo Not Bigger Than Nigeria; He Must Be Arrested – Keyamo / Should Nigeria Be Divided Into North And South Separate Countries Like Sudan? / How Corruption Works In Countries Like The USA! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 4:45am On Jun 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Sorry.

So how do you propose we change things? Why do you always complain about ish when you yourself have no solution or any direct method of getting involve. Keep in mind, internet complaints and suggestions are indirect methods.

First of all, before we "change "this , we need to analyze the cause of Nigeria's drop in production of palm oil. Any suggestions? And if any, how can we change it?

i.e Has farming land for such production and harvest reduced? Are Nigerians putting more efforts into quick productions which bring larger money like . . . .?

Who said I did not have a plan? I would not have created this thread if I do not have a solution. You should already know I see no use in complaining.

How do you know I am not planning an oil palm plantation? My father is already a large landowner in the East with land in every state East of the river Niger. I even discussed it with him, and he thought it would be very lucrative, but he knows I am not a farmer.

I see nothing wrong with farming.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 4:51am On Jun 29, 2011
The former Eastern region must regain our former glory in the export of oil palm.

Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 4:52am On Jun 29, 2011
EzeUche!:

Who said I did not have a plan? I would not have created this thread if I do not have a solution. You should already know I see no use in complaining.

How do you know I am not planning an oil palm plantation? My father is already a large landowner in the East with land in every state East of the river Niger. I even discussed it with him, and he thought it would be very lucrative, but he knows I am not a farmer.

I see nothing wrong with farming.

How will I know what you plan if you have not yet discussed it on this thread?

You're telling me the tools you have, which is land. But you still have not told me specific details on WHAT you will do to solve this "problem" we have. You're not a farmer and based on your education interest, I'll say you have no agricultural knowledge. So explain this to me, how will you know what to do and how will you go about this?

I hope you're not just planning on planting palm trees across the East.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 4:53am On Jun 29, 2011
BTW, since the East already has "lots" of palm trees, why do you still think the problem is in the East?
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 4:55am On Jun 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

How will I know what you plan if you have not yet discussed it on this thread?

You're telling me the tools you have, which is land. But you still have not told me specific details on WHAT you will do to solve this "problem" we have. You're not a farmer and based on your education interest, I'll say you have no agricultural knowledge. So explain this to me, how will you know what to do and how will you go about this?

I hope you're not just planning on planting palm trees across the East.

Do I look like Johnny Oil Palm Seed?

Why should I tell all my specifics? We Igbos are not keen on telling our business secrets. Just keep in mind I am thinking about forming a cooperative like they do in Ethiopia amongst small scale coffee farmers.

Even though I lack knowledge in farming, I can always employ those who have been involved in the oil palm trade for generations.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by kcjazz(m): 4:58am On Jun 29, 2011
Have we reviewed our Land Use Act 1978 yet? I think the reform must start from how we share and redistribute land.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 4:58am On Jun 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

BTW, since the East already has "lots" of palm trees, why do you still think the problem is in the East?

The East does have a lot of oil palm, but it is all controlled by small scale farmers who do not know proper farming techniques compared to the large plantations of Indonesia and Malaysia.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 5:02am On Jun 29, 2011
A Brief History of the Oil Palm Trade

International trade in palm oil began at the turn of the nineteenth century, while that of palm kernels developed only after 1832. Palm oil became the principal cargo for slave ships after abolition of the slave trade. The establishment of trade in palm oil from West Africa was mainly the result of the Industrial Revolution in Europe. As people in Europe began to take sanitation and hygiene seriously, demand for soap increased, resulting in the demand for vegetable oil suitable for soap manufacture and other technical uses. Tinplating required technical oil for which palm oil was found suitable. In the early 1870s exports of palm oil from the Niger Delta were 25 000 to 30 000 tonnes per annum and by 1911 the British West African territories exported 87 000 tonnes.

The export of palm kernels also began in 1832 and by 1911 British West Africa alone exported 157 000 tonnes of which about 75 percent came from Nigeria. Nigeria was the largest exporter until 1934 when the country was surpassed by Malaysia. Africa led the world in production and export of palm oil throughout the first half of the 20th century, led by Nigeria and Zaire. By 1966, however, Malaysia and Indonesia had surpassed Africa’s total palm oil production. According to Oil Palm Review, published by the Tropical Development and Research Institute in the United Kingdom, over 3 million tonnes of palm oil was produced by Malaysia alone in 1983, compared with a total of about 1.3 million tonnes of African production.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 5:02am On Jun 29, 2011
EzeUche!:

Do I look like Johnny Oil Palm Seed?

Why should I tell all my specifics? We Igbos are not keen on telling our business secrets. Just keep in mind I am thinking about forming a cooperative like they do in Ethiopia amongst small scale coffee farmers.

Even though I lack knowledge in farming, I can always employ those who have been involved in the oil palm trade for generations.

If you're going to tell us what you have a problem with, then it's out right to also know how you'll solve it.

And posting you solutions, even if it's not specific, will give you some educative assurance/reprimands from people who are actually connoisseurs on the subject.

Telling us you have land and maybe a cooperative is nothing we havent heard before. It's been done in Nigeria, but still things are not changing. You need more.

Are you afraid of criticism?
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 5:04am On Jun 29, 2011
EzeUche!:

The East does have a lot of oil palm, but it is all controlled by small scale farmers who do not know proper farming techniques compared to the large plantations of Indonesia and Malaysia.

So you're also proposing to introduce modern agricultural technologies?
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 5:07am On Jun 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

If you're going to tell us what you have a problem with, then it's out right to also know how you'll solve it.

And posting you solutions, even if it's not specific, will give you some educative assurance/reprimands from people who are actually connoisseurs on the subject.

Telling us you have land and maybe a cooperative is nothing we havent heard before. It's been done in Nigeria, but still things are not changing. You need more.

Are you afraid of criticism?

Since you wish to drag it out of me, the difference between Malaysia and Indonesia with Nigeria is that the oil palm trade is backed by their respective governments.

Nigeria's federal government does not support local farmers.

We need[b] subsidies subsidies subsidies[/b].

I don't have solution to this stagnation, because Nigeria will only focus on oil. But personally, I see that I can make money off of this plant, which can also help employ people not only in the East, but West Africa.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 5:10am On Jun 29, 2011
Look how organized these plantations in Malaysia look.

They took our plant and made billions. Their people are wealthier than our own, and they did not have to rely on petroleum either.

Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 5:16am On Jun 29, 2011
EzeUche!:

Since you wish to drag it out of me, the difference between Malaysia and Indonesia with Nigeria is that the oil palm trade is backed by their respective governments.

I don't have solution to this stagnation, because Nigeria will only focus on oil. But personally, I see that I can make money off of this plant, which can also help employ people not only in the East, but West Africa.

Are you intending on bringing governmental focus on palm oil production?

If not. . . .

Once again, I ask you. . . .what are you going to do about lack of modern farming tools?
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 5:20am On Jun 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Are you intending on bringing governmental focus on palm oil production?

If not. . . .

Once again, I ask you. . . .what are you going to do about lack of modern farming tools?

Why is that my concern concerning the first question? I already know what I want to do concerning oil palm and I do not need government help.

And concerning your second question, what do you think I am going to do about that issue?
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 5:24am On Jun 29, 2011
Just look at how sophisticated their oil palm nurseries are. shocked

Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Nobody: 5:25am On Jun 29, 2011
EzeUche!:

Why is that my concern concerning the first question? I already know what I want to do concerning oil palm and I do not need government help.

And concerning your second question, what do you think I am going to do about that issue?

Alright. I guess you have everything outlined then.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 5:28am On Jun 29, 2011
This leads to a bigger problem. Malaysia and Nigeria in 1960 were at the same level economically, but now they have surpassed us tremendously angry.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by kcjazz(m): 5:40am On Jun 29, 2011
EzeUche!:

Subsidies are good but not the only problem. Like, I mentioned part of our problem today is the Land Use act 1978, it limits intending farmers and encourages laziness. I understand the Govts idea but it needs serious review.

By a quick Wiki research, Malaysia Government deliberately dedicates about 24% of its land to Agriculture.
Do we have reserved lands for Agriculture? Plus we need research to know where lands are fertile and keep those lands for Agriculture. Then training, subsidy etc can follow.

Not all tribes are farmers, even in the East, how can the government protect immigrant farmers from harsh land practices? The Kwara Govt supports the Zimbabwe immigrants and you can see their success.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Seun(m): 1:33pm On Jun 29, 2011
I think it's hypocritical to abuse Nigeria over palm oil production if you don't own a palm oil plantation.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by trunature: 2:19pm On Jun 29, 2011
we are looking into it. wink[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 2:20pm On Jun 29, 2011
This is a sort of pity-party thread.
Why cry over spilt palm-oil. At least we produce more crude oil than Indonesia grin or do we?
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by edogirl2: 2:24pm On Jun 29, 2011
Seun:

I think it's hypocritical to abuse Nigeria over palm oil production if you don't own a palm oil plantation.

Some of your contributions are so daft.

Why does one have to own a palm oil plantation in order to critique and discuss the Nigerian palm oil situation.

What next, if one has never won an election into a public office, one should never be critical of Nigerian politicians/politics?
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by debosky(m): 2:25pm On Jun 29, 2011
edo.girl:

Why does one have to own a palm oil plantation in order to critique and discuss the Nigerian palm oil situation.

What next, if one has never won an election into a public office, one should never be critical of Nigerian politicians/politics?

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Valid points I must say. cheesy
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by MMM3(m): 2:30pm On Jun 29, 2011
we now produce bomb. angry
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 2:32pm On Jun 29, 2011
Do I need to have a palm oil plantation to critique the deplorable situation of a once thriving industry?

The reason why I brought this subject up, was due to the fact that I was watching a segment on palm oil production in Malaysia and they mentioned Nigeria during this segment.

Malaysia is not making millions of dollars off of this plants, they are making billions!
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by Yinkay: 2:35pm On Jun 29, 2011
at least we still grow enough to make Banga soup,  grin tongue
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by VALIDATOR: 2:51pm On Jun 29, 2011
Seun:

edo.girl:

@edo.gurl,
U get liver ooo. Na big bros Seun you bash like dat?
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 3:02pm On Jun 29, 2011
VALIDATOR:

@edo.gurl,
U get liver ooo. Na big bros Seun you bash like dat?

Are you trying to say no one can have a difference of opinion with Seun?

NL is where debates take place.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 3:47pm On Jun 29, 2011
I really don't have much problem if Malaysia overtakes us in Oil palm production. Nigeria has so many many problems that need to be tackled. We have very fertile lands in all areas of the country. It's not just palm oil.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by EzeUche1(m): 3:58pm On Jun 29, 2011
vislabraye:

I really don't have much problem if Malaysia overtakes us in Oil palm production. Nigeria has so many many problems that need to be tackled. We have very fertile lands in all areas of the country. It's not just palm oil.

What are you talking about?

A plant that was native to Nigeria is now making another country rich.

Are you not angry by that sad fact?
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by proffmanue(m): 4:11pm On Jun 29, 2011
why don't we forget about the federal government and let the state government of these state develop the sector and have a good economy.
Nigeria is no longer a stable country, forget about the crude oil and develop what ever natural resources u hv on your land.
Re: It's A Disgrace That Countries Like Indonesia Produce More Palm Oil Than Nigeria by mallorca(m): 4:28pm On Jun 29, 2011
AjanleKoko:

This is a sort of pity-party thread.
Why cry over spilt palm-oil. At least we produce more crude oil than Indonesia grin or do we?
grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Have Weakened Boko Haram - Defence Headquaters / Dangote's Website Hacked / The Evil Called Radio Biafra, By Chukwuemerie Uduchukwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.