Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? (79632 Views)

Tourists On Vacation In Africa See Python Inside Their Engine(video+pic) / Vacation In Paris, Any Guide / Perfect Vacation In Badagry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Nezan(m): 4:03pm On Aug 24, 2009
candylips:

make i carry my ghana must go back they head to ghana o
grin grin grin
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Skyfojydo: 4:42pm On Aug 24, 2009
Hi Q,
planning a week visit to Ghana in November or December, I would like a decent hotel accomodation with nite life, I would also like to visit some of the historical sights in the major cities. How much will it cost for transport from lagos via road, moving around in Ghana, feeding and lodging?
looking forward to hearing from you. You may reply me at jendon007@yahoo.com. expecting your response as soon as possible. Thanks
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by akinalabi(m): 5:45pm On Aug 24, 2009
Skyfo-jydo:

Hi Q,
planning a week visit to Ghana in November or December, I would like a decent hotel accomodation with nite life, I would also like to visit some of the historical sights in the major cities. How much will it cost for transport from lagos via road, moving around in Ghana, feeding and lodging?
looking forward to hearing from you. You may reply me at jendon007@yahoo.com. expecting your response as soon as possible. Thanks

It depends on what you want to do there.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by princekevo(m): 6:37pm On Aug 24, 2009
You Guys are making me miss Ghana so much,
Cant wait to be there again
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Nellyb(f): 8:55pm On Aug 24, 2009
Hi vinna,i dont mind going wit u. Pls,i'm interested.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Oluafynboi(m): 1:30am On Aug 25, 2009
I'm actually going in 2 days! , and decided to go by road. What's the road trip like? I've heard customs wahala na another level,

Anyone with that experience? Can we still use the Nigerian passport (versus the ECOWAS one)?
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by emekagh(m): 2:34am On Aug 25, 2009
Hi people.

I'm in Ghana. Accra to be precise. I normally tell people to try visising Calabar (Obudu Ranch), Yankari Game Reserve, Zoological Garden in Ibadan (UI), Olumo Rock at Abeokuta, Oguta Lake in Imo, Kainji Dam, Abuja. There are a lot of place to disappear peacefully with nature in Naija.

But if you insist, maybe the following info might help.

9jarian Coming to Ghana.

By Road

ABC, Cross Country (Yaba), EFex (Yaba), The Young, Chisco (Festac) all come to Ghana(daily). Find out from their office about their schedules.
It should be around 15 - 18 more if your passport is virgin (i.e never been stamped) .

With ABC, Cross Country, and co, you will submit your passports or 'Naira substitute' to the bus operators in their office. They will take care of the stamping (or settling as case the may be). They will only call your attention if they have problems, especially with our overzealous Immigration, and NDLEA officials. Or if there are things about your passport only you can explain to the official. Frankly speaking, it far less stressful to travel without (stamping) passport - just my opinion.
thousand for two tickets (to and fro). They last time though I came to Ghana by road, they squeeze out 13k for a single ticket. It was after Christmas. I was returning back to work in Ghana. Don't ask where I work, that's not relevant. wink

Alternatively, you can dash to Mile 2 (festac side) or Agege (I don't know the exact location) and get those private cars that ply the Lagos Accra route ferry you. It's cheaper, but less convenient. Avoid one chance, enter the car park and be sure 'he is one of the good guys.' I have used this option many times. Apart from the discomfort of squeezing between two people at the back. I had no other major concern

If you choose to come by road, prepare to spend the whole day on the road. If you leave Lagos by 7.30am, you will get to Ghana around 5 - 6pm plus. Adjust your watch backward by one hour for timezone correction.

Passport Matters

There are two options (1) with passport or (2)without passport. You will pay more money if you dont have a passport. (Nigerian or Ecowas)
You will also pay more
With the private cars (Mile Two or Agege axis) The driver will tell/show you how to cross the borders. You may chose to stamp your passports or cross with Okada (if you don't have). I'm sure the Okada rider will 'settle' immigration from the 500 Naira you pay for the crossing. Remember, if you stamp into a country, you must stamp out. If you don't stamp in, don't stamp out.

For those with passport, you should carry a yellow card (immunization card.) Try and get one, or you may be made to sqeeze of more Naira.

Flight

Then again you can fly. From Abuja (Virgin), from Lagos Aero Contractors, and Arik. With Virgin, its around 45 mins flight from Lagos. I'm not sure how long it is from Abuja. And I have not used the other airlines.

N.B: You CANNOT board international flight without passport. You cannot 'settle' this one. smiley

Akwaaba Ghana! (Welcome to Ghana)

Don't change your money at the Airport - they will cheat you! By giving you low rate. You should go to a place called Tudu. That's where I normally change my money (Naira or Dollars to Cedis). Their rates are competitive.

For those coming by road, Lakonji (?) is the best place to change money. Lakonji (spelling is not correct) is the border between Benin and Togo. They usually have good rate. The other best place is Tudu. The difference is marginal.

Hotels and Accommodation

Accra is a city of around 5 million people, well planned, and serene, with lots of greenery.

Hotels prices varies from (+ or -) GHC 40 (per nite) to $250 per nite.
The last time I check Ghc 40 is around 4200 or so. As for the dollars, I'm sure you'll know better.
So the cost of hotel accommodation is a function of your pocket size.

Transport
You would not have the luxury of Okada, so for forget it! Your best bet to move around the city is by cabs. A short trip is 2-3 GHC.
My advice for tourists is to negotiate for hourly rounds. Pay for an hour or two and make your rounds. An hour round with Taxis
is around Ghc10 plus or minus. Don't worry most of the taxis are neat and convenient. The drivers are mostly genuine, but they say
'trust God, but lock your doors'. So don't be naive as to lower your guards totally. They are humans like us!

Place of Interest
For the places you can visit. If you are spending a weekend. There are two options.
1. Lagosians (mainlanders especially, and few Islanders)
2. Abuja dwellers

Lagosian.
If you fall in category one, Lagosians. You best bet is to ask the driver to take you round the City. You'll probably be thrill by the city (and rant and rave about Nigerian government in anger) Before your one hour elapses, let the taxi take you to the beach. Labadi beach, is the closest and more popular (more like bar beach). If you have enough time (its around 1hr plus or minus to get there) you may prefer to go to Bojo beach (a little more exotic). Accra beaches are not free. Be ready to cough out 3-5 Ghc.

Abuja Dwellers
Well, I learnt Abuja is where the pipelines ( http://extramantra..com/2009/08/pipelines.html ) were emptying all their goodies. Until MEND and Co. ran amok. Sorry about the link, it's a little advert. wink

Abuja dwellers will probably twist their nose at Accra and say (So this all about the so called Accra, Ghana nonsense!) Abuja is by far lovelier than Accra, sorry to bust your bubbles. So for the Abuja folks to enjoy their visit to Ghana, they may have to make the early morning 2hr.30minstrip to Akosombo, and catch a Ferry to some Island (Sorry I haven't been there myself) still planning (or maybe cos I grew up Lagos main-lander - category one. grin ).

Not interested in the Dam, maybe because of the proximity of Kainji to Abuja?
Then you may want to go to Kakum Park. It's still another 2 1/2 hours drive.

But, then are eateries, bars, and nite clubs around accra, if those tickle your fancy. Night life is although been curtail for security reason.

More Info Needed?

I live in Accra, but I cannot guarantee, that I will be available to meet any of you should you decide to come. I'm quite a private person, besides I have day work, which sometimes requires my presence at the weekend.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

ATTENTION. VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE!
Money Matters

UBA, Zenith Bank, GT Bank, Intercontinental, and Access Bank, are all in Ghana, BUT you must bring all the CASH or carry a VISA card. Don't come and flaunt your ATM cards at their ATM, it wont work! You cannot withdraw cash from your Nigerian Bank Account from any on these bank in Ghana. Bring all the cash you need.

N.B. Use the complex arithmetic to covert your Naira to GhC
(Naira amount * 95) /10,000
i.e (4,200 * 95 ) / 10,000 = 39.999999 GhC

3 Likes

Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by salamander(m): 8:14am On Aug 25, 2009
I have read all the post in this section with great interest.

I agree in totality with Emeka_gh on the issue of transportation. I believe it is always easier and safer to come with ABC and the allied transport companies.

We will love to encourage such interactions. It is only Nigerians that can change the perceptions people have for them. I always admire the effort by the Nigerian ambassador in Ghana in the drive to in that direction.

Keep it up good people of Nairaland!
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by yemmojoh: 10:00am On Aug 25, 2009
i'll like to visit ghana soon,but i dont av a passport can any one advice me on the coolest road transport coy to use, cos i wiil like to go by road.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by enet1(m): 10:23am On Aug 25, 2009
@carago,u are welcome 2 nairaland.hope u find it interesting and educative.just help to tell ghanaians abt nairaland.this post is very educative and enlightening.i plan 2 come 2 ghana b4 d end of this year,hopefully next month.ghana is now a role model of democracy in africa.keep d gudwork up.we envy u .
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by enet1(m): 10:47am On Aug 25, 2009
emeka@gh,thanks 4 ur educative post,nay god bless u so much,i will contact u when i want 2 come 2 ghana.i luv u 4 ur incisive and detailed post.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Gosnom21: 2:54pm On Aug 25, 2009
My dear as you plan ur trip to Ghana please beware of Pick pockets in their ever popular Mokolar market in Accra.My wife's purse was stolen under our very noseĀ  last november at that market .the only consolation was that their police where quite nice to use in carry out their investigation but the purse and its content where gone with the wind. we had to come back to naija hurriedly.Have a nice trip all the same.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by toshacer: 4:08pm On Aug 25, 2009
There is no way you can compare Nigeria with Ghana and Ghanians - the country and the people is better than Nigeria and Nigerians - well behaved, cool headed, no cheating, no smartness, driving is cool, they obey traffic lights, good roads, they obey speed limits, they are orderly, everything just the opposite of what you will get in Nigeria - in Accra, see white people everywhere, you can see freedom in the air, noone molests anyone, even the white tourists enter the same bus transportation with the ghana people to travel around - how can that happen in Nigeria - they will kidnap them - honestly, I thank God for the life of Ghanians.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by sowura(m): 5:43pm On Aug 25, 2009
hmmmmmmm Ghana now the beautiful bride. just makes me wonder how down,down there Nigeria has fallen, if dem no arrange their country we for dey go there? kind of emphasizes the urgent need to do something about this country but what, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed :' maybe i should just ( cry
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by candylips(m): 5:45pm On Aug 25, 2009
tosh_acer:

There is no way you can compare Nigeria with Ghana and Ghanians - the country and the people is better than Nigeria and Nigerians - well behaved, cool headed, no cheating, no smartness, driving is cool, they obey traffic lights, good roads, they obey speed limits, they are orderly, everything just the opposite of what you will get in Nigeria - in Accra, see white people everywhere, you can see freedom in the air, noone molests anyone, even the white tourists enter the same bus transportation with the ghana people to travel around - how can that happen in Nigeria - they will kidnap them - honestly, I thank God for the life of Ghanians.

the grass is always greener at the other sideĀ  undecided
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by jeasn: 6:24pm On Aug 25, 2009
Skyfo-jydo:

Hi Q,

Oluafynboi:

I'm actually going in 2 days! , and decided to go by road. What's the road trip like? I've heard customs wahala na another level,

Anyone with that experience? Can we still use the Nigerian passport (versus the ECOWAS one)?

Well, well, u all. Ghana is an interesting plc and u've got to be der, i'm really glad u wanna get ya vacation der, mm, i'll advise dat u go by air cosde rate difference b/n road and air is nt so much. abt N5000 - N10000. for vacation i'll advise u get a friend to take ya round cos things are more expensive in Gh(Ghana) than Nigeria but u wouldnt hav a problem wit 419 crooks. well let me get ya reaction and i'll giv ya more info. wink
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by biolabee(m): 6:44pm On Aug 25, 2009
Q,

wetin dey do ur line, i dey try am i no fit get thru

u guys seem to be doin well but let essien/drog leave for nations cup

do you see my gunners performing?

1 Like

Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by ooshye: 8:45pm On Aug 25, 2009
well i just came back from a trip to ghana with my final year medical students colleagues ghana iitself is not bad but we had terrible experiencs at all borders except ghana we wer e hsred by nigerian ambassador to ghana Obanikoro and he said we should put our complain formally to the ministry of foreign affairs `ECOWAS secretariat in abuja our embassies in togo benin and ghana on my way back it got so bad that three graduating doctors were beaten and electrocuted at the benein border before they werw arrested and locked in a police station all because they did not want to part with bribe cause they ave collectd all the valid pass and registration from all these embassies in nigeria b4 leavin . we ave taken it upon ourselves to start the campagn for a safe and hassles free borders in west africa and i implore people to join this cause anyway they can . pls its bad for us to talk about giving bribe as if its normal pls lets try and change this thing
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by toshacer: 8:49pm On Aug 25, 2009
OOshye

That will be an exercise in futility.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by naliakar: 10:24pm On Aug 25, 2009
@
Emeka_gh

Man you should start a travel agency. That was priceless information about Ghana you put out there. And you took your time to type it all for fellow nairalanders!! Really priceless.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Oluafynboi(m): 12:09am On Aug 26, 2009
ooshye:

well i just came back from a trip to ghana with my final year medical students colleagues ghana iitself is not bad but we had terrible experiencs at all borders except ghana we wer e hsred by nigerian ambassador to ghana Obanikoro and he said we should put our complain formally to the ministry of foreign affairs `ECOWAS secretariat in abuja our embassies in togo benin and ghana on my way back it got so bad that three graduating doctors were beaten and electrocuted at the benein border before they werw arrested and locked in a police station all because they did not want to part with bribe cause they ave collectd all the valid pass and registration from all these embassies in nigeria b4 leavin . we ave taken it upon ourselves to start the campagn for a safe and hassles free borders in west africa and i implore people to join this cause anyway they can . pls its bad for us to talk about giving bribe as if its normal pls lets try and change this thing

So are you suggesting that I will definitely have to oil somebody's hand to get past each border except the Ghanian one?

Guys, I really need pointers on this customs/immigration thing. How long does it take? Can I still use my Nigerian passport?
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by ayobase(m): 1:42pm On Aug 26, 2009
It is high time we travelled round Africa!

God Bless Nigeria!
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by damola1: 7:45pm On Aug 26, 2009
ECO BANK NIGERIA ATM works in GHANA,
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by emekagh(m): 8:42pm On Aug 26, 2009
damola1:

ECO BANK NIGERIA ATM works in GHANA,

I think so, but I'm not very sure.

Thanks to all those who find my comment useful.

@ naliakar
Travel agency, I don't think so. I don't have the patience to run such.
Thank for the suggestion.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by emekagh(m): 9:25pm On Aug 26, 2009
naliakar:

@
Emeka_gh

Man you should start a travel agency. That was priceless information about Ghana you put out there. And you took your time to type it all for fellow nairalanders!! Really priceless.

If you are using the private cars (mile two, agege connection)
Nigeria-Benin border (seme) is the easiest to cross without 'passport.' That is via Okada. But to stamp passport, you will pay. The Nigerian officials are smart, they will come up with some excuses like yellow card or something. They will 'beg' you for 'something' if your document are ok. That's will be at your discretion. Be careful with border touts. They will re-direct you to a wrong direction, where there uniformed collaborator will obtain you for frivolous reason. And the tout will still pester you to pay for 'service' rendered.

From my experience, the easiest border to cross is the Benin-Togo border. Even if all your documents are correct, valid, and up to date. You will 'settle' especially at Togo-Ghana border.

You can bravado the Nigerian or Ghanaian officials if your papers are complete and accurate (and passport is not virgin). But the Togolese, and Beninese are worse. Ceteris paribus (all other things been equal), they won't stamp your passport unless you pay!

My worst experience happened the Togolese side of the Ghana-Togo border (Aflao).I was on my way to Lagos (using the Tudu private cars - Ghana's mile two agege equivalent). I have cleared immigration at ghana and togo border. I did not pay a dime at the Ghana side of the border (documents ok). I paid close to 2 CFA at the Togo immigration desks (with same valid document).

Then a tout approached me. He wanted to show me direction. I told him I don't need any. He insisted (can you imagine). I sensed danger, but continued going without minding him (since I know my way). The stupid guy then demand money from me (like I owned him), he try to hold my shirt, I deflected his handle. He threaten me by showing a bulge by his hip (gun or whatever it was I didn't know nor cared). This stand off lasted for about 30 secs, people were passing but nobody minded us (it was just me and him). Anyway, in the end I did not pay him a dime. But I was visible shaken and annoyed. Thugs (tout) in Nigeria don't harrass people like that in broad day light, or threaten them like that.

When I told my colleague back at work, he told me next time, if I'm traveling with those private car operator, I should dress very casual. (dirty jeans, shaggy top, and (leather) sandals. Don't stick out, blend! Lesson well learnt ever since.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by Spike88(f): 11:31pm On Aug 26, 2009
Hi Emeka,

good info on Ghana. I've been here a couple months already on a project and I've almost never thought Nigeria except when I miss my friends. But man! 24hrs power supply is worth missing a few friends for.

Help me out though. Any small, safe, inexpensive nice hotels in the Osu area good for a family with a couple kids?
Much appreciated.

Spike
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by octus2008(m): 5:23pm On Aug 27, 2009
@ emeka, i think the best way and for for any body intending to go to Ghana is by going with th the ABC Bus service because they are very organized than the rest of the transport service. once u go to the amuwo odofin park just have ur passport( ECOWAS OR NIGERIAN), if its a virgin passport, you would be required to pay 1500 naira extra, once issued tickets, just come to the park at the appointed time and trust me after them NDLEA screening,just relax, the bus service would take care of the rest.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by octus2008(m): 5:25pm On Aug 27, 2009
@ spike 88

good info on Ghana. I've been here a couple months already on a project and I've almost never thought Nigeria except when I miss my friends. But man! 24hrs power supply is worth missing a few friends for.

Help me out though. Any small, safe, inexpensive nice hotels in the Osu area good for a family with a couple kids?
Much appreciated.

Spike

Summary: Situated on the Gulf of Guinea, in a gentle bay sweeping from Ghana's Presidential Castle to Jamestown Fishing Harbour, Afia African Village is ideally located to meet the needs and interests of business travellers and tourists alike.
Region: Greater Accra Region
City: Accra
Rooms:

* single, Standard Room, $ 65 p.n.
* single, Standard Room, $ 70 p.n.
* single, Suite, $ 130 p.n.
* single, Suite, $ 140 p.n.
Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by octus2008(m): 6:01pm On Aug 27, 2009
so next time u need advise regarding Ghana,just mail me:minnalive23@gmail.com ,am currently back to lagos but would be going back soon to my adopted first country.mean while here is a taste of Ghana, pictures from one of the happening clubs in Ghana lol

Re: How To Have A Nice Vacation In Ghana? by octus2008(m): 6:16pm On Aug 27, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue,
WARNING
GHANA GIRLS ARE DANGEROUS

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Flight Experience With A Flight Attendant / I Regret Coming To Canada / Share Yours.new Picture Of Lagos Only.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.