Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,026 members, 7,825,236 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? (24525 Views)

Outcome Of 2024 Utme Results, Who Is To Be Blamed? Parents, Teacher Or Students? / Sara Hinesley Wins National Handwriting Competition In US (Photos) / Is This The Best Handwriting Ever? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Amotolongbo(f): 11:55am On Mar 08, 2022
[s]
PeaceJoyLove:

Jokes and beefing apart.... are you really good in writing?
[/s]gibberish
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by TheSameGuy(m): 11:57am On Mar 08, 2022
I don't think it can be changed.
Though mine is a bit better than this, I tried changing it right from primary to Tertiary but wouldn't change.

meanwhile There's tendency of getting marked down especially in professional exams or in Tertiary institution. You can just help him manage it a bit

It's not any sign of being a doctor at all but without mincing word, your child will be very intelligent, just watch every aspect of his Life.

All these are my experiences, I keep monitoring my wards from such handwriting but seems it's a joke on me. I just keep managing it for them
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by TheSameGuy(m): 11:59am On Mar 08, 2022
It's obvious.

Just help him manage it
Proudlyomonna:

Wow superfluous.
Thanks a million times I am sure adopting this intelligent submission to my little boy
My boy is freaky brilliant even way above his age,but his writing sometimes gives me a running stomach that I begin to pity his teachers in school �
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by clems88(m): 12:05pm On Mar 08, 2022
This one Na future doctor Na. Better leave him like that before you can be him career grin
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by HassanOloyede1(m): 12:05pm On Mar 08, 2022
Hi, I'm Hassan by name, an affiliate marketer, entrepreneur, importing and exporting coach to mention but few

If you are interested in becoming an affiliate marketer or you need my mentorship DM me on WhatsApp +2348140648061
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by tollyboy5(m): 12:08pm On Mar 08, 2022
julybaba:
Dear Nairalanders, what can a parent or teacher do, to improve the legibility of this child's handwriting?
The child is currently in JSS3.
Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Please mod, I need your help to get this post to front page.
Thanks.
When i was at senior secondary sch. I was the head boy and my writing was similar.
Tho i was using left. If your pikin dey use left it might be normal
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by countryman13: 12:12pm On Mar 08, 2022
julybaba:
Dear Nairalanders, what can a parent or teacher do, to improve the legibility of this child's handwriting?

Thanks.
I dont really see anything bad in d handwriting coz if it is dt bad, d parents wouldn't have waited ds long before seeking for help. D child is almost done wt writing now probably after sec school.
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Skymason20(m): 12:20pm On Mar 08, 2022
Me as an education student my writing bad grin future teacher for that matter grin
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by tunjilee003: 12:20pm On Mar 08, 2022
according to science,those with bad handwriting tends to be intelligent because their brain works faster than their hands...the best thing that can happen is to get the student a 2d notebook....
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Awise09(m): 12:24pm On Mar 08, 2022
julybaba:

Thanks.
I remembered early days school you must know how to write well before you are promoted to class one or primary three,but now everybody is rushing, how can a JSS3 write this way and pass through all. Well just buy the child 2A and 2B exercise book to start leaning how to write with.
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Zona123(m): 12:24pm On Mar 08, 2022
Always present the child with good handwritings and make the child learn to copy those writings the same way as they're, just like imitating the writer.
Me I did the same for some years before I developed my own handwriting
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Tsufyaan: 12:26pm On Mar 08, 2022
Your child needs an Occupational therapist and sure with 5 to 8 sessions with your child he or she will improve drastically. Thank me later
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Valyrian: 12:26pm On Mar 08, 2022
We had similar case in my family. But it was the intervention of my sister's class teacher to take her handwriting personally through my parent that made her writing today one of the best in the family.
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by KosiGee(m): 12:28pm On Mar 08, 2022
julybaba:

Thanks.

Is this child your biological kid or your student?

How well do you know him/her? The child’s environment and mental health matters here. Can he/she read exactly what they’ve written? Is he a child with ADHD?
At his stage and with this type of hand writing skills, has there been any attempt to force him to change from one hand to the other?….some lefties experienced this transiting from left hand to right hand. I was one of them and it wasn’t a nice experience for me.

Does he use or work with the computer a lot?

I think you need to pinpoint the problem, it’ll make the solution easier to implement.

First step…hand writing aids like copy books will be of great help
Assisting his writing and encouraging him to write within the line, spacing and to have patience will help.

Enough hand writing practice everyday will overtime induce good muscle memory that will help improve legibility.
Less time on his computer if he spends lots of time on it. Some kids type faster than they can write and when they are forced to write, they’ll find the effort boring and frustrating leading to illegible hand writing.

If he was a leftie and forced to use his right hand, that is wrong. NEVER force them to change. I was forced to use my right hand…I became ambidextrous. It would’ve gone very wrong for me.

I wish the child well.
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by phemmyfour: 12:32pm On Mar 08, 2022
Judgesledge:
But now in the day, I learnt Ade is an IT consultant with Microsoft
Ade is now a conductor...he cannot go into programming to save his life
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Yankee101: 12:37pm On Mar 08, 2022
Learn cursive writing

Don't know why they don't do it these days

We used to be small designers

1 Like

Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by KosiGee(m): 12:48pm On Mar 08, 2022
tollyboy5:

When i was at senior secondary sch. I was the head boy and my writing was similar.
Tho i was using left. If your pikin dey use left it might be normal

For lefties, correct positioning of the book and how you stabilise it with your right arm matters.

I wrote with left but the sitting position made it hard for me. We sat on the long chairs with desk top, the type you’d find in most traditional churches (Catholic and Anglican)
My left hand/writing hand always made contact with the right hand of the kid next to me. It was frustrating for both of us and of course drew attention to me. I was forced to use right hand through constant canning and left hand tied to my side. I’d deal with any teacher that’ll try that with my child.
I learnt to sit at the left and edge of the desk. It helped for a while till I started using my right hand.

1 Like

Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Akinh: 12:49pm On Mar 08, 2022
julybaba:

Thanks.
abeg those doctor in those hospital dey get handwriting?..instead of this headline why not thinking about boosting their intellectual capacity.
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by emysmile: 12:56pm On Mar 08, 2022
Handwriting is not a yardstick for measuring intelligence.

In my years as a teacher, kids with bad handwriting are the slowest learners I've encountered.
I'm yet to meet a fast one even as a Montessori Teachee and a Phonics Expert.

Take the advice of the guys who asked you to get handwriting materials for the kid and always ask the kid not to rush.

Handwriting is a thing of the mind. Hand , Eye and Mind Coordination. It takes discipline to have mastery.

If a person is loosing it there, it's evidence they need help.

Many doctors with bad handwriting have sent millions to the grave. That's why America is revolutionizing how prescriptions are given.

One idiot doctor almost killed me too Many years ago at Victoria Island. Thank God for the Pharmacist who saw it and advised me against it.
I don't know that woman but God bless her for me.
I'm very okay.

Idiot almost killed because I don't even know what he wrote. I noticed he looked upset sha, maybe something dey vex am before I enter because he discharged anyhow.
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by emmanuelbrown26: 1:08pm On Mar 08, 2022
Amotolongbo:
Better than my handwriting at that stage
En bi like say we dey same boat
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by TYCO77: 1:14pm On Mar 08, 2022
Teach the child how to position words and sentence appropriately inside a ruled line, not to jump from one line to the other, taking note of words that its leg has to come down below the ruled line, example, small letter f, g, j, p,q,y.
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Veeryeasy(m): 1:14pm On Mar 08, 2022
Let that child recopy newspapers, that joke would stop
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by CharLee22: 1:18pm On Mar 08, 2022
The first thing to do is to make sure the child is holding the pen correctly. If that has been achieved, then the child can start practicing with handwriting workbooks
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Ebiragirl(f): 1:18pm On Mar 08, 2022
julybaba:

Thanks.

Very simple,
1. Buy him or her a handwriting note book
2. Take a close monitoring while he or she copy note from the board
3. Guide them on how to give gaps while writing
4. The coach must have a nice handwriting too.

I used this skills on my pupils and they all changed their bad handwriting within a week

1 Like

Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by davidque: 1:19pm On Mar 08, 2022
Amotolongbo:
Dear Parent,

Please leave the illegible handwriting alone.
That is an omen your child is a medical doctor in the making.
Let him continue with that handwriting which is an attribute of prescription writers.

Thanks
I don't think this post is for joking. Medical doctors have very good handwriting except for when they write prescriptions

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by bizhop01: 1:28pm On Mar 08, 2022
If you can't read don't conderm, that handwriting is shorthand cool
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by iPresh4s(m): 1:28pm On Mar 08, 2022
How did the child get here? What have you guys been doing? Writing na from Kindergarten oh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Basic123: 1:40pm On Mar 08, 2022
Paulpaulpaul:
Sloppy writing is an element of high intellect. His thinks faster than his hand can coordinate. Leave him, this is the era of computer

Consolation

The hands are under the control of the brain.

Following your logics,his brain coordinate writing and thinking poorly...which makes him less intelligence.

What will you say of children that are very brilliant and at the same time have good handwriting
Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Athemisia: 1:41pm On Mar 08, 2022
ITbomb:
Is he super intelligent? That's their weakness. Bad handwriting because their brain is working faster than the hand.

Suggestions

1. Get those color lines handwriting exercise books and make sure he writes on the lines ie the g should touch the lines (both the head and the leg)

2. He should write letters independently not trying to join them

3. Concentrate on small letters

It has nothing to do with being super intelligent. The child simply fail to learn the basics of writing legibly before acquiring speed.
Therefore, he needs to slow down his speed and learn the basics first.

(From my experience with a lot of kids and friends)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Athemisia: 1:47pm On Mar 08, 2022
Basic123:

Consolation

The hands are under the control of the brain.

Following your logics,his brain coordinate writing and thinking poorly...which makes him less intelligence.

What will you say of children that are very brilliant and at the same time have good handwriting
I don't know where they get such false information from.
9 out of 10 intelligent persons have met all have legible handwriting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can A Teacher Or Parent Do, To Improve The Legibility Of This Handwriting? by Athemisia: 1:49pm On Mar 08, 2022
iPresh4s:
How did the child get here? What have you guys been doing? Writing na from Kindergarten oh
Both the parents and the teachers failed in their duties.
Look carefully and you see that the child doesn't even make use of ruler to draw out straight lines.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Apart From English, Which Language Is More Useful Globally? / Private Universities In Nigeria / Unilag Dli Is Not A Part Time Programmes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.