Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,590 members, 7,837,221 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC (45189 Views)

PDP Jubilates Over Defection Of Ben Ayade In Cross River / ‘We won’t join you in APC’ — Ebonyi lawmakers tackle Umahi over defection / EBSU Students Appreciate Governor Umahi Over Construction Of Road (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 08, 2022
When Buhari said in 2018 that the Judiciary is his biggest problem most of us never really understood. Now it is becoming clearer.

Nothing should be allowed to work in this country.

Between a corrupt judiciary and a corrupt INEC , all good competent leaders could be blocked from becoming governors.

It seems Gov. Dave Umahi some how managed to slip through the net.

Umahi is performing too well for Nigeria, so he has to go! angry

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by TossTos: 3:32pm On Mar 08, 2022
oilPUSSY:

Politics is a very dirty and very complicated game.. You can't even predict the next thing that will happen..

My mind is telling me that Supreme court might sack Buhari on the eve of presidential election in 2023 then order for Atiku to take over undecided

Genius !!
I respect you ...
You spoke my mind ...

1 Like

Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by otunbabms(m): 3:32pm On Mar 08, 2022
The judgment on umahi was not justiceable but a court judgement no matter how stupid it looks must be respected.
A post election matter judgement takes effect immediately just like a criminal case.
Umahi must first vacate his seat, the new governor who should be the first runner up at the pdp primary would be sworn in, and umahi will be appealing the case as a sacked governor.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by oluwaahmed: 3:35pm On Mar 08, 2022
PeaceJoyLove:
I keep saying it that ibos are their own enemies. One by one they will fight themselves out of this Aso Rock race as usual. Is it another region fighting this ibo gov? No. His own people in ebonyi state. They will fight him out of it. Now, he has lost focus...he cant chase Aso Rock seat with full concentration. He is going to start defending his mandate here. grin

See, ibo is not ready at all. I am very confident they arent getting to Aso rock for another 16 years. Na chests dem go dey beat online. grin

What is special about aso rock? You that is talking will you ever reach there in your lifetime (this one go pain am grin)

1 Like

Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by damirosky60: 3:35pm On Mar 08, 2022
There is no provision in the Constitution of Nigeria whereby a serving Governor or his Deputy could be removed on account of defection to another political party.

1 Like

Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Davijunson: 3:36pm On Mar 08, 2022
That means Ben Ayade should also be preparing to get his own Sack.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by garfield1: 3:37pm On Mar 08, 2022
fergie001:

That's what I was telling you on the E10 the SC quashed. This judgement is morally the right one but the Constitution is the instrument for determination not morality.

I was even about to bring that in.it is just like when they were ruling agaainst card readers..I think the atiku vs obj ors 2006 supra case will suffice.but the lawmakers are likely gone...the part I like about the fhc judgment is that they will be fresh elections
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by JONNYSPUTE(m): 3:38pm On Mar 08, 2022
damirosky60:
There is no provision in the Constitution of Nigeria whereby a serving Governor or his Deputy could be removed on account of defection to another political party.
... Exactly. Our Constitution need to be amended. Good judgement though but cannot stand.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by garfield1: 3:38pm On Mar 08, 2022
Aiel123:

If you would not mind I will like u to explain how

Once election tribunal cases are done and dusted,only the assembly cab remove the governors
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Kennyprince: 3:40pm On Mar 08, 2022
This one won't stand jare
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by fergie001: 3:40pm On Mar 08, 2022
garfield1:
I was even about to bring that in.it is just like when they were ruling agaainst card readers..I think the atiku vs obj ors 2006 supra case will suffice.but the lawmakers are likely gone...the part I like about the fhc judgment is that they will be fresh elections
There will be no need for it.

This is March and the case is not pre-election, so no need to hurry @ all. Their tenures will be over before judgement will suffice.

When it happened to Hon. Abegunde, it was just a few months before the 2015 General Election.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Odidigboigbo(m): 3:46pm On Mar 08, 2022
JONNYSPUTE:
... So are you now saying he is a gonna already? Lol
Can you provide the section where it is in our Constitution pls?
I never say so, this is Nigeria anything can happen. Below is the section of the constitution

Section 68 (1) “A person shall vacate his seat in which he was elected if — (g) being a person whose election was sponsored by a political party, he becomes a member of another political party before the expiration of the period for which he was elected.”

(h) provided that his membership of the latter political party is not as a result of a division in the political party of which he was previously a member or of a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored.”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Brightest04(m): 3:46pm On Mar 08, 2022
iwaeda:

Details later..

https://dailytrust.com/breaking-court-sacks-ebonyi-governor-over-defection-to-apc
Not until the rigmarole political prostitution in Nigeria is killed by firing squad, Nigeria will continue to take the backseat among group of nations
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by BJanta: 3:47pm On Mar 08, 2022
NLandIsHypocrit:
;DTo grin OP please I beg you in the name of Umahi's Ebubeaturu... Sorry Ebubeagu stop this expensive joke o... I don't like it,, what do you mean sef? So after all Umahi have suffered and done to prove to his Fulani masters that he's a loyal servant, all the people he killed, those he admonished and bastardized even abandoned the PDP that made him; now you're wishing him to be humiliated like that? You're even more wicked and ruthless than Umahi himself. I don't like what I use to hate.

The same Umahi you were extolling to high heaven as the one Buhari was preparing to tackle Tinubu has suddenly become a devil again?
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by JONNYSPUTE(m): 3:50pm On Mar 08, 2022
fergie001:

There will be no need for it.

This is March and the case is not pre-election, so no need to hurry @ all. Their tenures will be over before judgement will suffice.

When it happened to Hon. Abegunde, it was just a few months before the 2015 General Election.
....Most of 9ur judges are very funny.
Does he understand the constitution that a sitting govonor cannot be remove except through the the house of assembly of such state provide the case is not that of any post or pre election matters.
Until they amend our Constitution to contain all these,we will keep seeing it.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Aketi2: 3:50pm On Mar 08, 2022
We hope the Supreme court now been controlled by Jihadists will not re-instate him.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by aujile(m): 3:52pm On Mar 08, 2022
Frankiss44:

I think we really need judgement like this to stop all these ashewo politicians.. The question is who holds he mandate according to the constitution, the candidate or the party?
The party i believe, because the ballot papers only carry party logos and not candidate's pictures.

1 Like

Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 08, 2022
Umahi is a murderer
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by olamike02: 3:54pm On Mar 08, 2022
alsudan:
Enough of stealing a political party’s mandate to another party. The Zamfara Governor is next.

FOLLOW BY ORTHAUMATIC OF BENUE
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by sureEbh: 3:54pm On Mar 08, 2022
iwaeda:

Details later..

https://dailytrust.com/breaking-court-sacks-ebonyi-governor-over-defection-to-apc

Well, it's good for democracy if it stands. However, I fear it will be upturned either in appeal or Supreme Court.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Yusufdachung: 3:55pm On Mar 08, 2022
Very good for him. A greedy man would lost everything.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Indispensable85(m): 3:55pm On Mar 08, 2022
iwaeda:

Details later..

Even a baby lawyer knows this will be upturned just like the Kano Apc judgement.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by fergie001: 3:56pm On Mar 08, 2022
JONNYSPUTE:
....Most of 9ur judges are very funny.
Does he understand the constitution that a sitting governor cannot be remove except through the the house of assembly of such state provide the case is not that of any post or pre election matters.
Until they amend our Constitution to contain all these,we will keep seeing it.
He was trying to do two things at the same time. Trying to bring morality into Constitutional matters but it doesn't work that way.
Amend wetin?
The President or Governors will never amend that part. It's good like that.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Indispensable85(m): 3:57pm On Mar 08, 2022
alsudan:
Enough of stealing a political party’s mandate to another party. The Zamfara Governor is next.

It doesn't affect the Edo,Benue, sokoto governors right?
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by JONNYSPUTE(m): 3:59pm On Mar 08, 2022
Odidigboigbo:
I never say so, this is Nigeria anything can happen. Below is the section of the constitution

Section 68 (1) “A person shall vacate his seat in which he was elected if — (g) being a person whose election was sponsored by a political party, he becomes a member of another political party before the expiration of the period for which he was elected.”

(h) provided that his membership of the latter political party is not as a result of a division in the political party of which he was previously a member or of a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored.”
... Good point. Let's see what happens
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Indispensable85(m): 4:00pm On Mar 08, 2022
fergie001:
Appeal is loading......

Na useless judgement b dis na
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by alsudan: 4:00pm On Mar 08, 2022
Indispensable85:

It doesn't affect the Edo,Benue, sokoto governors right?

Those three Governors you mentioned contested and won under the PDP, so Yes it doesn’t affect them.

1 Like

Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by fergie001: 4:02pm On Mar 08, 2022
Indispensable85:
Na useless judgement b dis na
grin grin grin grin

The Judgement will go down on appeal.
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by idahme(m): 4:02pm On Mar 08, 2022
LordviccoDaGuru:
[s][/s]

fake news, they have dismissed this case since

Mynd44 dominique rule 8

Why not do fact checking

1 Like

Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by fergie001: 4:04pm On Mar 08, 2022
Odidigboigbo:

You skipped the first line:

A member of the Senate or of the House of Representatives shall vacate his seat in the House of which he is a member if: -
Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by Indispensable85(m): 4:06pm On Mar 08, 2022
Otuegbe:
Who will now take over

Nobody is taking over. The governor will appeal and remain on his seat. It's not the first time this is happening. It'll drag up till supreme court with the governor still in his seat.

2 Likes

Re: Court Sacks Dave Umahi Over Defection To APC by damirosky60: 4:10pm On Mar 08, 2022
JONNYSPUTE:
... Good point. Let's see what happens

That provision is for lawmakers not for Governors and his deputy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

RCCG Trends As Adeboye, Kumuyi Keep Mum Hours To Presidential Election / Obidient Bread Spotted In Onitsha, Anambra (Photo) / Presidency Moves Against Fayose, Aides To Be Invited For Questioning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.