Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,300 members, 7,846,340 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport (9531 Views)

Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery / Woman Returns N12 Million Naira She Found At MM Aiport Toilet / Nigerian immigration service website. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 5:58am On Jun 30, 2011
They didnt take money from us at the entrance, just that almost all of our packages were opened and many items were missing.

Something needs to be done about Nigeria's airport procedures. They're so messy and corrupt.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by slimyem: 6:07am On Jun 30, 2011
Enotfare:

Those of you who claim to know your rights in Nigeria. I pray you really experience what the common man goes through so you will understand. I agree you have to be bold at times but always at an expensive cost!!!
Have you ever suggested how these corrupt officers should be punished? Dont you know that if there is no punishment for wrong doing, then wrong doing and evil will be the order of the day. This is a nation were IMPUNITY strives!!! sad
Pls people do suggest how we going to fix these ills instead of going for each others throat!
you don talk am!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 6:12am On Jun 30, 2011
iice:

Na new thing?   Isn't corruption in every corner of the society? Why should Airport be any different? undecided  I agree jare. . .just bone them.  If na insist. . .pass them N100. . .na the only money you hold grin 

We're talking about 100 USD here. You think anyone would care about dashing away $0.75? grin

That $100 can buy me a buka stand.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by claremont(m): 7:04am On Jun 30, 2011
The only bribe I paid to those immigration guys at MMA was a big tuber of yam they collected from my bag. That was after the airline told me my luggage was over the accepted weight limit, I have never giving a monetary bribe to any of those guys. If na yam bi their problem, make dem chop n quench grin grin grin
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Andrew3(m): 7:07am On Jun 30, 2011
hmmm that is too much, ma first travel i ran into them, one said your money is 200usd, i said
for what? he said i have told you, when i got where ma passport was to be stamped, to ma suprise ma passport
was sent inside an office headed by a lady officer and i was called in, when i got in the lady said what are going to do in ireland?

i told her i was employed by research in motion, makers of blackberry, am a phone programmer, here is ma employment later
and work visa. she said no way some times they do that and end up being stranded, the irish government will deport me and the
immigration will pay the flight tickect, after alot of pleading the plane was almost being borded, as per first time na grin i was shaking,
wished the soldiers that drove me to the airport went in with me, the lady told me to show her 10 000 usd she will let me go, just to assure here
i can take care of ma self in case am stranded, i brought ot ma phone and dialed a call, i delibertly mentioned ma dad name, when she heard general
i noticed the look on her face, i swear i cant remember when ma passport was given back to me. last stage searching stand i was told to bring 100usd

i told him straight that i gat no damn dollars except the 200naira i had in ma wallet, hahahaha 2000usd in ma socks grin i was last on the plane
something really has to be done about them
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 30, 2011
@poster lol, just pay the bill and leave them , not only first hand travellers, even old ones too, i saw a guy miss his flight cos of all these bullshits
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by justwise(m): 8:57am On Jun 30, 2011
Some of you who bribed the immigration officers for committing no offence need to get ur heads checked, in fact. shame on every one of u who gave those thieves money.

God!!!! what is wrong with us Nigeria? WHY WHY WHY!!!!!? Yes i have witness it in 2000 and i was holding VIRGIN passport, and i REFUSED to give them a penny, they delayed me and my sister inlaw, my sister in law was taken to the toilet to be search and $50 was found on her and they demanded but i insisted that NOTHING gets into they thieving hands.

The public address system were announcing our names as the gate was about to be closed, even at that i stood my ground and they GAVE UP!

Some of us shake like my nanny's teeth rather than stand for what you believe in
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 30, 2011
justwise:

Some of you who bribed the immigration officers for committing no offence need to get your heads checked, in fact. shame on every one of u who gave those thieves money.

God!!!! what is wrong with us Nigeria? WHY WHY WHY!!!!!? Yes i have witness it in 2000 and i was holding VIRGIN passport, and i REFUSED to give them a penny, they delayed me and my sister inlaw, my sister in law was taken to the toilet to be search and $50 was found on her and they demanded but i insisted that NOTHING gets into they thieving hands.

The public address system were announcing our names as the gate was about to be closed, even at that i stood my ground and they GAVE UP!

Some of us shake like my nanny's teeth rather than stand for what you believe in  

Shame on u if u refuses to pay the money and got delay resulting to miss of flight, then u come back the next day and pay it after using $100 to rechedule your flight again
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by justwise(m): 9:10am On Jun 30, 2011
odiaero:

Shame on u if u refuss to pay the money and got delay resulting to miss of flight, then u come back the next day and pay it after using $100 to rechedule your flight again

See a doctor quick, i will not miss my flight, there is no reason why i should made to miss my flight and IF i missed my flight cos of any thieving immigration officer THEN that individual will pay with his or her job.

It may cost me more money to re-book but i will invest my last kobo to make sure that the officer will not be seen at the airport thieving again. I NEVER paid any of them, they have asked in many occasions and i refused and NOTHING absolutely NOTHING happened.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by hackney(m): 10:10am On Jun 30, 2011
None of that nonsense in Abuja (Nnamdi Azikiwe).
No toutish immigration though they still whisper: anything for the boys? but if dont wanna, you just dont.
simples!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Andrew3(m): 10:37am On Jun 30, 2011
yea i knew i wont be in abuja, but i dey fear abuja now grin grin

guess u know why, haram boko aah boko haram grin
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by kpolli(m): 10:52am On Jun 30, 2011
poster u be big fool. . . . shocked

how them go task u off that amount

when it was my first time they tried it, i told them i worked hard for it n they r not getting shingbain!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 30, 2011
justwise:

See a doctor quick, i will not miss my flight, there is no reason why i should made to miss my flight and IF i missed my flight cos of any thieving immigration officer THEN that individual will pay with his or her job.

It may cost me more money to re-book but i will invest my last kobo to make sure that the officer will not be seen at the airport thieving again. I NEVER paid any of them, they have asked in many occasions and i refused and NOTHING absolutely NOTHING happened.

See a nurse faster, u think it is as easy as u think, uh? undecided
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by justwise(m): 11:10am On Jun 30, 2011
odiaero:

See a nurse faster, u think it is as easy as u think, uh? undecided

Yes its easy to give an immigration officer ur $200-300 in less than a minute, the money you worked ur backside off to save. shame no dey catch u?

YES its easy to tell them NO!! i have done it times and board my flight, some of u here can only blow hot air but when its time to stand ur ground u start shitting urself. Keep giving them ur money, boneless creature.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by iice(f): 11:26am On Jun 30, 2011
mohumyta:

@iice
The problem is they will insist on collecting USD don't even mention Naira to them.So crazy

Tell them na only cents you hold if they want foreign currency grin

Ileke-IdI:

We're talking about 100 USD here. You think anyone would care about dashing away $0.75? grin

That $100 can buy me a buka stand.
For those principled. . .yes. 
But then again no be nigerians? undecided
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 11:29am On Jun 30, 2011
A guy wanted to try that with me when I was coming to Europe I told him I was going to school he should be the one giving me money not the other way round. Guy if u self see me when I dey serious u go get enough liver to yarn dat kpata where I dey. Unless I steal the money, sey na money wey I work get for Europe na him I go come give one Immigration officer wwy I dey sure sey he earn pass my palle wey be pensioner.  Them no born the person wey go make me loss my flight bcoz I no give am 100 or 200usd. I go back to my village go Okija and I go make sure i give the person madness for that airport so that all of them go learn.

Abeg all these people wey dey sey give them the money and go ur way; how much una give una parents or younger ones when u dey leave house? una dey support evil thatz why una go everly dey see evil.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by tEsLim(m): 11:31am On Jun 30, 2011
Well my friend told them NO  last month and he missed is flight cheesy , and airline was gonna charge him penalty for missing flight , rescheduling etc wel he went and took his money back from airline thats how he cancelled is trip. And he's a spend thrift spent all of it. They demanded $300.

When I arrived they asked me for money I said NO! The ladies then said hmmm, "give us watch na or anything" , I was like I"m a student abroad look at my student ID cheesy. Student thats a frequent traveler wink , same with the last guy Mr Teslim what was you mission in 'Yurope' , I'm a student" oh ok, student works if you have international student ID. Or just confidence to explain yourself.

I remember they do ask some first time traveler for BTA. All I do is show them credit card I got abroad + my naija cards. If they wanna test me if  I truely have money in them we can walk to atm together but damn that would mean i have money to bribe them
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by begwong: 11:34am On Jun 30, 2011
If anybody wants to give them(immigrathieves) "kola' give but dont talk.Meanwhile,get the names of those that ask/collect such token tax from you and paste it here for further action! cheesy cheesy
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by wontootree: 11:43am On Jun 30, 2011
Thank God finally somebody raised this issue, we have a lot of certified criminal working in our MM airport in the name of immigration, doing all they can to steal from mostly first time travellers. I was a victim too. Next i will come to Nigeria i will definitely use secret cameras on my body to capture this for everybody to see  i swear, bunch of idiots,
They don't care if u miss your freight,
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by sunnshyn(f): 11:52am On Jun 30, 2011
@ all,
This piece came in @ d time I needed it most. Iv heard alot abt dis thieving uniformed men n women @ d airport and τ̲̅ȍ say I was scared Į̸s understatement. But now, Im stronger and wiser n smarter as a result of all iv read here. Im a first timer traveller n wld b leavin monday night. So, strong, straight face shey? I no kuku dey smile on a normal day, now BTA palava. Im planning on goin visiting my uncle, n his well capable of taking care of me durin my visit. Must I have BTA on me? And pls my people hw much? Already, he's sent me an IV, his bank statement, passport data page, identity card. I look forwd 2 ųя replies pls, Im travellin τ̲̅ȍ South Africa.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by sunnshyn(f): 11:52am On Jun 30, 2011
@ all,
This piece came in @ d time I needed it most. Iv heard alot abt dis thieving uniformed men n women @ d airport and τ̲̅ȍ say I was scared Į̸s understatement. But now, Im stronger and wiser n smarter as a result of all iv read here. Im a first timer traveller n wld b leavin monday night. So, strong, straight face shey? I no kuku dey smile on a normal day, now BTA palava. Im planning on goin visiting my uncle, n his well capable of taking care of me durin my visit. Must I have BTA on me? And pls my people hw much? Already, he's sent me an IV, his bank statement, passport data page, identity card. I look forwd 2 ųя replies pls, Im travellin τ̲̅ȍ South Africa.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 11:55am On Jun 30, 2011
justwise:

Yes its easy to give an immigration officer your $200-300 in less than a minute, the money you worked your backside off to save. shame no dey catch u?

YES its easy to tell them NO!! i have done it times and board my flight, some of u here can only blow hot air but when its time to stand your ground u start shitting urself. Keep giving them your money, boneless creature.

LWKMD, look at you that is boned creature cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by faithin9ja: 11:56am On Jun 30, 2011
Oh naive nairalanders!!!

Anybody in uniform in the MMA has paid good money to be posted there, anyone in uniform at MMA makes remittances regularly to his/her bosses at head office in Lagos or Abuja. then you expect them to rely on their salary? This is the Nigerian culture. If you have a job that puts in touch with the public - you make money (this was told me in 1987 when I just finished youth service by a civil servant - almost 25 years ago!!)

This has nothing to do with GEJ, Buhari, OBJ, Ribadu, etc or with your tribe or religion, it has become our way of life and all of us encourage it. We encourage by not only paying the bribes but by expecting our friends and relatives to live beyond their means. Nearly every uniformed officer in MMA is paying some relatives school fees apart from his own children, ie living beyond his means.

so if you think that one person making a protest, not paying and missing his/her flight is going to change anything,
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by chuckdee4(m): 11:59am On Jun 30, 2011
justwise:

Some of you who bribed the immigration officers for committing no offence need to get your heads checked, in fact. shame on every one of u who gave those thieves money.

That's the spirit, when you have not commited an offence, virgin passport or not they have no right to delay you unless they have solid evidence to detain you.

Don't let any immigration officer bully you into submission, if they ask you for anything, simply tell them you don't have, zip up and be on your way.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by justwise(m): 12:03pm On Jun 30, 2011
faithin9ja:

Oh naive nairalanders!!!

Anybody in uniform in the MMA has paid good money to be posted there, anyone in uniform at MMA makes remittances regularly to his/her bosses at head office in Lagos or Abuja. then you expect them to rely on their salary? This is the Nigerian culture. If you have a job that puts in touch with the public - you make money (this was told me in 1987 when I just finished youth service by a civil servant - almost 25 years ago!!)

This has nothing to do with GEJ, Buhari, OBJ, Ribadu, etc or with your tribe or religion, it has become our way of life and all of us encourage it. We encourage by not only paying the bribes but by expecting our friends and relatives to live beyond their means. Nearly every uniformed officer in MMA is paying some relatives school fees apart from his own children, ie living beyond his means.

so if you think that one person making a protest, not paying and missing his/her flight is going to change anything,
So what? Why do u hav to depend on my money to look after ur relatives? God help any criminal in uniform who will make me miss my flight anyday, u will not even have a boss to report back to let alone having a job after i'm done with u.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by justwise(m): 12:05pm On Jun 30, 2011
chuckdee4:

That's the spirit, when you have not commited an offence, virgin passport or not they have no right to delay you unless they have solid evidence to detain you.

Don't let any immigration officer bully you into submission, if they ask you for anything, simply tell them you don't have, zip up and be on your way.

I refused to give them even the naira i had on me that day, i had about 10 Nigerian home movies and they accused me on taking more than enough for personal use then i dropped 6 with them and that was all they got from me. Shameless pple.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 30, 2011
::Andrew:::

hmmm that is too much, ma first travel i ran into them, one said your money is 200usd, i said
for what? he said i have told you, when i got where ma passport was to be stamped, to ma suprise ma passport
was sent inside an office headed by a lady officer and i was called in, when i got in the lady said what are going to do in ireland?

i told her i was employed by research in motion, makers of blackberry, am a phone programmer, here is ma employment later
and work visa. she said no way some times they do that and end up being stranded, the irish government will deport me and the
immigration will pay the flight tickect, after alot of pleading the plane was almost being borded, as per first time na grin i was shaking,
wished the soldiers that drove me to the airport went in with me, the lady told me to show her 10 000 usd she will let me go, just to assure here
i can take care of ma self in case am stranded, i brought ot ma phone and dialed a call, i delibertly mentioned ma dad name, when she heard general
i noticed the look on her face, i swear i cant remember when ma passport was given back to me. last stage searching stand i was told to bring 100usd

i told him straight that i gat no damn dollars except the 200naira i had in ma wallet, hahahaha 2000usd in ma socks grin i was last on the plane
something really has to be done about them

Hahahaha! Your experience with the boys made me laugh. cheesy

I was asked in a stage whisper "anything for the boys?" back in December '09, when I was returning to the UK. I declined, and was allowed to go. I would have missed my flight, but no way was I going to grease any palms, that were already dripping with melted grease from previous "victims".
grin
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by justwise(m): 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2011
Siena:

Hahahaha! Your experience with the boys made me laugh. cheesy

I was asked in a stage whisper "anything for the boys?" back in December '09, when I was returning to the UK. I declined, and was allowed to go. I would have missed my flight, but no way was I going to grease any palms, that were already dripping with melted grease from previous "victims".
grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin classic!!!!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by chuckdee4(m): 12:14pm On Jun 30, 2011
justwise:

I refused to give them even the naira i had on me that day, i had about 10 Nigerian home movies and they accused me on taking more than enough for personal use then i dropped 6 with them and that was all they got from me. Shameless pple.

Another one of the unwritten rules they make up as they go, shameless people  angry
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by faithin9ja: 12:25pm On Jun 30, 2011

and you think you won after leaving 6 of your 10 movies with them? My friend there is no legal limit on the number of movies you can have for your personal use, in any case it is legitmate business to buy original movies and sell them abroad. you will be applauded for this rather than vilified.

As per my previous post, you need to understand where any Nigerian civil servant (uniformed or not) is coming from. Shouting, fighting, etc should not be option A, rather (maybe because I am older) these officials in the airport tend to want to beg me for tip rather than shake me down for a bribe, then depending on a lot of factors; do I have change, the person's demeanor, what extra help I might have got (airline officials have bumped me through first class queues for instance)

that does mean I must give but I don't need to fight or hala with anyone, just be polite, hold your ground and go your way
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by jaybee3(m): 12:26pm On Jun 30, 2011
wontootree:

Thank God finally somebody raised this issue, we have a lot of certified criminal working in our MM airport in the name of immigration, doing all they can to steal from mostly first time travellers. I was a victim too. Next i will come to Nigeria i will definitely use secret cameras on my body to capture this for everybody to see  i swear,  bunch of idiots,
They don't care if u miss your freight,

Immigration not Customs.

@topic
They tried it once with me when i was coming back to the UK and i gladly told them i was prepared to leave the garri with them if they had be satisfied with that.
Why must i bribe?
Indulging them is a crime on it's own. How will Nigeria ever move forward when her citizen can't stand up to be counted.
SMH
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Mbeki: 1:01pm On Jun 30, 2011
As far as am concern, those that give bribes are either dumb, in possession of fake documents or has some contraband items on them.

In absence of all of these, it is your fundamental human rights to move to anywhere you want to go within your country or to travel as you wish (Article 13 in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights).

What first time travelers need to do is to arrive at the airport on time to have enough time before boarding, remain calm, cool and collected. when they tried to extort money from you. If they insist, demand that you know the reasons you are being delayed and what relevant sections of Nigeria Immigration laws backs that. If they make you miss your flight, press charges against them through a lawyer.

The first time i traveled, my passport was not even stamped, as am to collect the visa at the port of entry in the country am travelling. When the Immigration guys took me away from the queue, i remained unshaken! when they're tired of holding the passport, they gave it back to me.

The secret is, know your rights, stand on it, and don't display any attitude of urgency to travel out of the country, cos if they see how desperate you are, they'll use that to get something from you.

These ways, you'll checkmate them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Latest On Enugu International Airport Update Needed / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / Saudi-based Fraudsters Defraud 8 Kebbi Pilgrims Of Basic Travelling Allowances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.