Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,464 members, 7,843,422 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport (9530 Views)

Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery / Woman Returns N12 Million Naira She Found At MM Aiport Toilet / Nigerian immigration service website. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by jaybee3(m): 1:03pm On Jun 30, 2011
^^^^
Double GBAM
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Rhea(f): 1:43pm On Jun 30, 2011
Mbeki:

As far as am concern, those that give bribes are either dumb, in possession of fake documents or has some contraband items on them.

In absence of all of these, it is your fundamental human rights to move to anywhere you want to go within your country or to travel as you wish (Article 13 in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights).

What first time travelers need to do is to arrive at the airport on time to have enough time before boarding, remain calm, cool and collected. when they tried to extort money from you. If they insist, demand that you know the reasons you are being delayed and what relevant sections of Nigeria Immigration laws backs that. If they make you miss your flight, press charges against them through a lawyer.

The first time i traveled, my passport was not even stamped, as am to collect the visa at the port of entry in the country am travelling. When the Immigration guys took me away from the queue, i remained unshaken! when they're tired of holding the passport, they gave it back to me.

The secret is, know your rights, stand on it, and don't display any attitude of urgency to travel out of the country, cos if they see how desperate you are, they'll use that to get something from you.

These ways, you'll checkmate them.

smiley Well said. Most of us do not know our rights nor do we know how to address these men in uniform. You cannot do gragra with someone who soaks gragra like garri and groundnut. A clear conscience fears no accusation.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by alfablondy: 1:50pm On Jun 30, 2011
I agree with all posters that refused to give them any dime whether dollar or naira. USD100 is at least N15k, imagine given that to immigration officer for no legitimate reason.
if u are a legitimate traveller they cant intimidate you. No shaking!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Mbeki: 2:16pm On Jun 30, 2011
alfablondy:

I agree with all posters that refused to give them any dime whether dollar or naira. USD100 is at least N15k, imagine given that to immigration officer for no legitimate reason.
if u are a legitimate traveller they cant intimidate you. No shaking!

I was once refused boarding because I don't have a transit visa through South Africa. I told the Immigration Man that if I found out that that the transit visa is not necessary, he'll loose his job!. He told me to go ahead, when I called some embassy officials that I know, they told me I do need a transit visa which the people that invited me didn't tell me. I went back and apologize to the immigration man.

The point am trying to make is that if your papers or any conditions at all is pending before you travel, please sit at home and don't go looking for how to cut corners to travel at all cost. Nobody gets award for traveling just for the records.

But if you are legit traveler: DO NOT GIVE ANY BRIBE! except you're tipping a fine chick with some sweet behind, which is legitimate. though not a guarantee.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by mallorca(m): 2:27pm On Jun 30, 2011
Only God can save Nigerians
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Mbeki: 2:31pm On Jun 30, 2011
mallorca:

Only God can save Nigerians

Praying is working in the spiritual

Working is praying in the physical

God will not come down from heaven to save Nigeria, we as the children of God must stand up against evil pratice. if you give bribe, its a sin in itself
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Royal2010(m): 2:38pm On Jun 30, 2011
Can we all go to the presidents facebook page and report this and all criminal activities going on.The things happening at the passport office and at the Exit points of our Airports.
Nairaland is about the best thing that has happened to Nigeria.Trust me and that is why i detest people that use this site as a place to behave mischievously.Names like 190 amd MMA.I am just sorry to mention some names but that is the truth.A revolution must start from here.I hereby advice ask that Segun should create a section for anti-corruption.Anyone that travels next time should note the name tags on such officers and report on this section.WE must stop this nonsense at one and let us see if Mr president will tackle this problem all at once.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by johnie: 2:41pm On Jun 30, 2011
^^^

Second that!

Let's name and shame them!

By the time their names start appearing here, they would sit up.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by iice(f): 2:48pm On Jun 30, 2011
Mbeki:

Praying is working in the spiritual

Working is praying in the physical

God will not come down from heaven to save Nigeria

Lmao. Na so ooo.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Mbeki: 2:50pm On Jun 30, 2011
Royal 2010:

Can we all go to the presidents facebook page and report this and all criminal activities going on.The things happening at the passport office and at the Exit points of our Airports.
Nairaland is about the best thing that has happened to Nigeria.Trust me and that is why i detest people that use this site as a place to behave mischievously.Names like 190 amd MMA.I am just sorry to mention some names but that is the truth.A revolution must start from here.I hereby advice ask that Segun should create a section for anti-corruption.Anyone that travels next time should note the name tags on such officers and report on this section.WE must stop this nonsense at one and let us see if Mr president will tackle this problem all at once.

You see what I've been saying, that's God's voice speaking through you to save Nigeria. lets get their names, take their pictures if possible and post it here on the net and the president's facebook page.

let's circulate it to all media house, i have the email of not less than 30 media house in Nigeria, i can offer it here. let it be a topical issue on kakaki on ait, sunrise in channels, nta breakfast show etc. let the revolution start. God is here supporting us.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Royal2010(m): 3:12pm On Jun 30, 2011
Mbeki:

You see what I've been saying, that's God's voice speaking through you to save Nigeria. lets get their names, take their pictures if possible and post it here on the net and the president's facebook page.

let's circulate it to all media house, i have the email of not less than 30 media house in Nigeria, i can offer it here. let it be a topical issue on kakaki on ait, sunrise in channels, nta breakfast show etc. let the revolution start. God is here supporting us.
God bless you Mbeki,we must trash out corruption.Can somebody go to the preseident's facebook page (Goodluck Jonathan) and report this.I will do so in 2 hours after i am back from a meeting.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by proffmanue(m): 3:32pm On Jun 30, 2011
I suggest the medias should be involve in letting the public know what is going on at the international airports. we need secret cameras to record one of these scenes.
Nigerian Immigration officers are uncultured and unrefined.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Mbeki: 3:46pm On Jun 30, 2011
email list of some media house guys

dailytrust@yahoo.co.uk, dbnabjnews@yahoo.com, dimeji@sharpedgenews.com, , ebalagbogbo@bloomberg.net, ebalagbogbo@yahoo.com, editorinchief@nannwesngr.com, elderoji@yahoo.com, emma1ehihi@yahoo.com, susan.njanji@afp.com;suenjanji@gmail.com;yvonne.ndege@aljazeera.net;emmanuelasiwe@huhuonline.com, essovo@gmail.com, ettkkong@yahoo.com, felixnnamdi@yahoo.com, gbemigajournalist@yahoo.com, gbenga_omo@yahoo.co.uk,  hausa@bbc.co.uk, helynuto@yahoo.com, ikechukwuamaechi@yahoo.com, itmgr@the-punch.com, iykso@yahoo.ca, jgambrell@ap.org,dmbachu@bloomberg.net; dokubanjo@yahoo.co.uk; iwitness.nigeria@gmail.com;  publisher@saharareporters.com;  admin@saharareporters.com; articles@saharareporters.com; newsroom@saharareporters.com;  photonews@saharareporters.com; editor@saharareporters.com; paul.barber@afp.com ;riz@aljazeera.net,nicholas.tattersall@reuters.com; emakpe@gmail.com;theguardian1983@gmail.com; gbenga.adefaye@nigerianguildofeditors.com;
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by EzeUche(m): 3:50pm On Jun 30, 2011
I remember the insults I thrown at the customs officer who tried to ask me for a bribe.

There was a lot of shouting between us until a military friend of my father ended the argument.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jun 30, 2011
It's really horrible,Those officials are bunch of thieves.I experienced it while traveling down to Canada last year,the man told me point-blank that it's either I part with some cash or he will delay me till I miss my flight.Meanwhile,have been advised earlier by one of the officials that checked my luggage(when I gave him some cash willingly cos he neva asked for it) in the airport that I should move in to board quickly cos bin a first time traveler I would be delayed if I refuse to part with cash but if I have more than enough time at hand before my flight,I can choose to remain stubborn cos with time they would run out of patience.Well,it all happened accordingly to the airport official's forecast,I told him I had no Naira on me and am not ready to part with dollars,that was when he started his delay tactics by telling me to go and c different officials within the same vicinity and they were all asking silly questions.He went as far as telling me he wants to see my admission letter(what has an immigration official got to do wt some1"s admission letter??) which I gladly showed him,In the end when he and his other colleagues realised I won't bulge to their request,they had to let me go.I later learnt that was the status quo for dose officials.A friend of mine that left for the USA as a student(first time traveller) told me the same thing happened to him last year at the same muritala Muhammed Airport,that he had to part with some cash before they allowed him passage.Seems the menace of corruption is an individual tin, If each individual chooses to do tins the right way I am sure we will have a better Nigeria.There is very little any president can do to that,corruption has eaten deep into the system.God help us all and our dear nation,Nigeria.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by hercules07: 6:31pm On Jun 30, 2011
Get to the Airport on time so you have enough time to trash out all this wahala, conversely, travel with kids and make sure you are a little bit late, nobody will dare stop little kids with their parents rushing to catch flights.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by marcar(m): 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2011
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Royal2010(m): 7:04pm On Jun 30, 2011
Sunmboluv:

It's really horrible,Those officials are bunch of thieves.I experienced it while traveling down to Canada last year,the man told me point-blank that it's either I part with some cash or he will delay me till I miss my flight.Meanwhile,have been advised earlier by one of the officials that checked my luggage(when I gave him some cash willingly cos he neva asked for it) in the airport that I should move in to board quickly cos bin a first time traveler I would be delayed if I refuse to part with cash but if I have more than enough time at hand before my flight,I can choose to remain stubborn cos with time they would run out of patience.Well,it all happened accordingly to the airport official's forecast,I told him I had no Naira on me and am not ready to part with dollars,that was when he started his delay tactics by telling me to go and c different officials within the same vicinity and they were all asking silly questions.He went as far as telling me he wants to see my admission letter(what has an immigration official got to do wt some1"s admission letter??) which I gladly showed him,In the end when he and his other colleagues realised I won't bulge to their request,they had to let me go.I later learnt that was the status quo for dose officials.A friend of mine that left for the USA as a student(first time traveller) told me the same thing happened to him last year at the same muritala Muhammed Airport,that he had to part with some cash before they allowed him passage.Seems the menace of corruption is an individual tin, If each individual chooses to do tins the right way I am sure we will have a better Nigeria.There is very little any president can do to that,corruption has eaten deep into the system.God help us all and our dear nation,Nigeria.
There is something the president can do.Because of the sincerity of Jerry Rawlings, Ghana today is a changed society.The issue is that nobody is ever made a scape goat.Until Obasanjo came,no public official was ever arrested or jailed since Shagari regime in 1979.So 1979 till 1999 corruption was the order of the day and this was carried out with impunity.There is still corruption and largely too but at least it is not carried out with impunity on a large scale like before.Efcc at least are there,even if they are not too effective.For instance i learnt that no body, not even soldiers have been brave enough to flout the BRT lane rule after that soldier was dealth with and dismissed.If one immigration officer is made a scape goat, i can tell you that will just be enough to deal and stamp out this menace.It is simple,somebody should be made to take responsibility for corruption at any level,until that happens we are in deep trouble.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 30, 2011
I only tip if i wish, never bribed any official as I be proper mushin boy, i just sweet talk them out of the bribing conversation and they let me go. Airfrance staff (the Naija ones) no dey dull sef   grin
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by marcar(m): 7:07pm On Jun 30, 2011
Royal 2010:

There is something the president can do.Because of the sincerity of Jerry Rawlings, Ghana today is a changed society.The issue is that nobody is ever made a scape goat.Until Obasanjo came,no public official was ever arrested or jailed since Shagari regime in 1979.So 1979 till 1999 corruption was the order of the day and this was carried out with impunity.There is still corruption and largely too but at least it is not carried out with impunity on a large scale like before.Efcc at least are there,even if they are not too effective.For instance i learnt that no body, not even soldiers have been brave enough to flout the BRT lane rule after that soldier was dealth with and dismissed.If one immigration officer is made a scape goat, i can tell you that will just be enough to deal and stamp out this menace.It is simple,somebody should be made to take responsibility for corruption at any level,until that happens we are in deep trouble.

True talk
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by deadie(m): 7:10pm On Jun 30, 2011
When I was travelling out of naija for the first time last year, they asked me to give them money. I told them I didn't have any money to give. Maybe it was the coldness and simplicity that I employed, but the a$$hole just allowed me on.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Bensonite: 11:34pm On Jun 30, 2011
Good thread sharing experience on how our immigration and custom officers behave in our airport. Really a shame. Most people have given valid suggestion, you need to be firm and always try to arrive early to deal with some delays like this. Never give any dollar/naira except willingly a paltry N200 or N100. I have been confronted by this guys severally but they surprised at my boldness. They use tactics and ask anything for us.
My major concern is how do we get this things to stop- no where else not even in other Africa countries do you see such. Foreigners see this things and find it difficult to respect us.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by lastpage: 11:52pm On Jun 30, 2011
@mbeki.
Excellente, l like your voice. wink
Next anyone experiences these kind of corrupt behavior, secretly record the conversation or at least TAKE THEIR PICTURES in action (but dont do so at risk to your person) and lets "name and Shame them" publicly!

That is what "Modern Technology" is all about, anyone can become a journalist now. grin

Am having the camera of my phone on "standby" once l step-off the plane(or within the airport), no more nonsense from these uniformed rats!
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Ojumiii(m): 8:33am On Jul 01, 2011
Nairaland is about the best thing that has happened to Nigeria.Trust me and that is why i detest people that use this site as a place to behave mischievously.Names like 190 and MMA.I am just sorry to mention some names but that is the truth.A revolution must start from here.I hereby advice ask that Segun should create a section for anti-corruption.Anyone that travels next time should note the name tags on such officers and report on this section.WE must stop this nonsense at one and let us see if Mr president will tackle this problem all at once.

this is always my worries each time i am about to leave Nigeria.

the, last time i make sure i have all the time with me, so was wasting the time and they realised that this one na area boy, the different stage different tactice come to my head, someplaces i just sweet talk them and someplaces i just stood my ground, that is it.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jul 01, 2011
jay bee:

@topic
They tried it once with me when i was coming back to the UK and i gladly told them i was prepared to leave the garri with them if they had be satisfied with that.
Why must i bribe?
Indulging them is a crime on it's own. How will Nigeria ever move forward when her citizen can't stand up to be counted.
SMH

Spot on, but, why do people still insist on carrying putrid Nigerian foodstuffs to Britain anyway? You can get all you need at Peckham Market, innit? grin
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 01, 2011
I don't even recall being asked for money by the immigration officials. Customs are a completely different story. Those guys are theives.

Once I was returning to the UK and the Custom guy asked me why I had so much food and that I also needed to get a letter from the Ministry of Agriculture that the beans I was carrying was safe for importation grin

I was so annoyed that I created a scene and started shouting at the top of my voice. I guess he wasn't expecting me to do that; dude just told me to calm down and let me go with my beans and garri. I only wish they don't rummage through your things with their grubby hands, I find that so annoying too.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by dustydee: 1:07pm On Jul 01, 2011
But there's something we can do
1. Do not give bribe, the giver and taker are one and the same( for those of you here that are accusing them of demanding bribe and paid the bribe, you are as corrupt as them take it or leave it)
2. Is there any channel that we can relay this information to the comptroller of immigration even though I know she is aware bu we on nairaland can draft an open letter to here and post it on SR and pointblank news. ([b]Justwise [/b]can you please draft an open letter to the comptroller?)
3.Lets know all the requirements at the airport,like the limit of food, movies and other things that one is allowed to carry without paying duty or being harassed.

*can this be moved to the travel section,please?
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by delicious1(m): 1:53pm On Jul 01, 2011
Never give out bribes to anyone, ever. That's the only way to kill their appetite for collecting them in the first place.

If your papers are intact, standing your ground and speaking loudly if you have to, will always do the trick.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by houvest: 2:19pm On Jul 01, 2011
Have travelled often and never encountered this and not even on my first time. It
was only when I carried some food item that they asked me to try and do something
naa. Can the poster tell us in which section this happens.
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Gbenge77(m): 2:53pm On Jul 01, 2011
You get to hear phrases like"Oga,wetin u bring for us make we use do weekend".
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by eewule(m): 3:21pm On Jul 01, 2011
Gbenge 77:

You get to hear phrases like"Oga,wetin u bring for us make we use do weekend".

Those imigration guys dey-look-face,   It depends on how you come-across and what u say in responce to any questions or joke etc,   if u be like a softie that dey can bully a little - or like a naija man that know what goan, !
Re: Assumed Legalized Bribery By The Nigerian Immigration At Mm Airport by Panzastrip(m): 5:01pm On Jul 01, 2011
@seanet02

CAN U CHANGE YOUR SIGNATURE PLEASE, YOU ARE INSULTING NDIGBO.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / Latest On Enugu International Airport Update Needed / Hungary Visa Enquiry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.