Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,487 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus (12149 Views)

Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus / Mcdonald’s Temporarily Closes 850 Restaurants In Russia. Suspends Operations. / Ukrainians Angry As Putin Offers Evacuation Routes Lead To Russia And Belarus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by pocohantas(f): 12:17am On Mar 09, 2022
In a letter dated March 7,2022, Upwork’s CEO, Hayden Brown announces that they would be suspending operations in Russia and Belarus.

As the world’s work marketplace, Upwork’s mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. In our more than 20 years of doing business, we have worked hard to bring our marketplace to more people, with the belief that when people have the ability to innovate their careers and work, they can reach their full potential.

Russian President Vladimir Putin’s war against Ukraine has challenged our mission, values, and our operational ability to bring economic empowerment to those who seek it. Upwork will be suspending operations in Russia and Belarus, starting today and taking full effect by May 1, 2022.

The first step will be shutting down Upwork’s support for new business generation in Russia and Belarus. Over the next few days, freelancers and clients in Russia and Belarus will no longer be able to sign up for new accounts, initiate new contracts, and be visible in search.

We honor the relationships that exist between our customers and recognize the swift adjustments that they will need to make as they process this announcement. As such, existing contracts with talent and clients in the region will remain open, with final billing due by May 1, 2022.

We made this decision with the utmost consideration. From the beginning of the war, Upwork has been fervently working to support the safety, security, and well-being of our many team members in the region, as well as the business needs of our customers. We fully understand the significant impact this decision has on our Upwork community in Russia and Belarus, and we want these customers to know that if and when they are able to relocate to regions where we operate, we will be eager to support them in continuing their work on our platform. Additionally, should the geopolitical situation in Russia and Belarus change, we hope to be able to resume operations.

We are heartbroken and horrified by the invasion of Ukraine. Upwork is concurrently working on measures—both immediate and rolling out soon—to further support Ukrainian freelancers and the Ukrainian community, including:

A $1 million donation to Direct Relief International in support of the Ukrainian population.
Product enhancements to make it easier for Ukrainian freelancers to preserve the careers they have worked so hard to establish, whether or not they are currently able to work.
Programs to make it easier for clients to maintain their existing relationships with and provide financial assistance to talent in Ukraine.
A $100,000 matching program for donations from our own team members to aid in humanitarian relief in Ukraine.
While we continue to navigate these crucial decisions and actions, you can view communications via our Community Resource page, which we are updating frequently with new developments and FAQs.

Our hearts and support go out to all those affected by this senseless aggression against Ukraine. We hope that a path to peace is ahead for Ukraine, and that we are able to bring our mission back to Russia and Belarus in the future.

Sincerely,

Hayden Brown
President & CEO
Upwork

SOURCE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by 3verblazing(m): 12:52am On Mar 09, 2022
Bad for Russian account holders across the world. How does this affect other users else where? less competition and more visibility I guess. But the economy get as e be for USA. Clients are more conservative about spending their hard earned dollars. This whole matter just get as e be

23 Likes

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by Nobody: 2:00am On Mar 09, 2022
Oh, sweet. Woe to the invaders.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by sapientia(m): 3:23am On Mar 09, 2022
Putin singlehandedly returned Russia to 1945

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by Nobody: 4:26am On Mar 09, 2022
Daily calamity.

17 Likes

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by ObamaMessi: 5:25am On Mar 09, 2022
Suspend here and there.By the time the west finish with russia, even kremlin will look like my village.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by pocohantas(f): 9:52am On Mar 09, 2022
sapientia:
Putin singlehandedly returned Russia to 1945

He is taking them back to the Stone Age,
Man like Putin,
A king I stan. cheesy

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by Sterope(f): 10:04am On Mar 09, 2022
Awon ti logical gender grin. The alpha male smiley
pocohantas:

He is taking them back to the Stone Age,
Man like Putin,
A king I stan. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by pocohantas(f): 10:06am On Mar 09, 2022
Sterope:
Awon ti logical gender grin. The alpha male smiley

Thank God he isn’t a woman. At least we get to focus on the issues at hand, not her vagina or marital status. cheesy

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by jmoore(m): 10:11am On Mar 09, 2022
Special financial operation.

Putin don buy market.

Russians should organize massive protests and overthrow Putin.

25 Likes

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by SUGARCyprian247: 11:57am On Mar 09, 2022
Lol..

People still use Upwork?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by Hellenjoshua: 11:57am On Mar 09, 2022
This is all getting too serious as F

1 Like

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by Bonessaw(m): 11:57am On Mar 09, 2022
Lol, I saw it in my Upwork timeline. But they made provisions for those working in Ukraine sha.

4 Likes

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by Angelaketu(f): 11:58am On Mar 09, 2022
cool
Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by iCauseTrouble: 11:58am On Mar 09, 2022
Everybody just dey suspend their service from Russia. Wetin Nigeria go fit suspend now?

13 Likes

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by FalseProphet1(m): 11:58am On Mar 09, 2022
I see Putin getting frustrated, I see him sending a Nuke to Ukraine, I see US and NATO replying in kind, I see Russia being Nuked out of existence, I see Africa and the rest of the world suffering the after effects of the Nukes.

I see the prophecy in the book of revelation 8, coming to pass, I see a third of the world's population die as a result of this.

This I have seen.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by Antoeni(m): 11:59am On Mar 09, 2022
Six (6) PAIRS Of FRUITS That Should Never Be Mixed Because They Can Cause DEATH ..

(1) Orange and carrot

(2) Pineapple and milk

(3) Papaya and lemon

(4) Guava and banana

(5) Orange and milk

(6) Banana and lemon

You can save a life by sharing this message. Also, banana and egg. Note.

6 Likes

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by Vifx: 11:59am On Mar 09, 2022
Z
Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by FahBuLous: 11:59am On Mar 09, 2022
K
Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by GEJfan1: 12:00pm On Mar 09, 2022
3verblazing:
Bad for Russian account holders across the world. How does this affect other users else where? less competition and more visibility I guess. But the economy get as e be for USA. Clients are more conservative about spending their hard earned dollars. This whole matter just get as e be

How difficult is it to change location on Upwork? Just a few clicks

1 Like

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by Deicide: 12:00pm On Mar 09, 2022
They fighting like girls and Small Children
Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by seanwilliam(m): 12:00pm On Mar 09, 2022
Who is going to feel the heat most ,
Like usa , share russia

12 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by tonididdy(m): 12:00pm On Mar 09, 2022
E remain lizards and oloshos to still have an opinion about the Russian military intervention undecided

What and who the hell is upwork.? How does it contribute to the Russian GDP?
It's like oloshos threatening to boycott the Nigerian market? Like who cares when I can masturbate at home!

So upwork or downwork... Sorry you won't be missed angry

7 Likes

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by SmartPolician: 12:01pm On Mar 09, 2022
Even freelancers in those countries will feel this Putin madness! As this series of sanctions continue, Putin may finally compel his people to oust him from power with a bloody revolution and the West will always be blamed for it. He knows how to accuse the West of everything cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 09, 2022
Another loss for Russia bit to Putin's c*cksuckers on Nairaland, Upwork doesn't matter and another website will replace them asap..

Like it's that easy.

8 Likes

Re: Upwork Suspends Operations In Russia And Belarus by CharleyBright(m): 12:02pm On Mar 09, 2022
Russia don enter wahala with all sorts of sanctions flying like missles on their head. The world is a global state and each country need others to survive. No country can survive if all are rejecting u.
Russia will soon become a Pariah state and their econmy grounded. Putin was expecting a military war with the US, but he got a fierce economic war.
Putin will soon be on his knees without the UN firing a military weapon at him.
He didn't bargain for all these sanctions at all.
This will be a lesson for North Korea that is flexing muscle with Nukes to mind their actions.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos: Ukranians Throw Former Minister In A Bin In Kiev / Obama Clinches Democratic Nomination / Hurricane Ida: Houma Residents Are Left Reeling As Homes Are Reduced To Rubles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.