Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,834 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 (13882 Views)

Nigeria Records Zero Revenue From Oil Export As Subsidy Hits N199bn / NNPC Spends N1bn Daily, Petrol Subsidy Hits N19.37/Litre / Fuel Subsidy Hits N2.4billion Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 09, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

So buhari didn't know there's problem of fuel subsidy before he promised to build refinery??

Don't mind the man.

He knew, and they all knew...but politics, plus a genuine fear of masses anger (remember that most people don't want subsidy gone) was what stopped him. He was cool with using politics of subsidy to rise to power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Truvelisback(m): 9:51am On Mar 09, 2022
Mumusaphire:
Die-sel, #625? Lol. And many irrelevant online miscreants supporting Putin.
Why can't ur President co-operate with the Russians and get Crude from them? Why abiding to the U.S and NATO Sanctions against Russia?
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by dettolgel: 9:54am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

Read my comments, where I blame Buhari and company...especially for his not removing it when he was in power

Also, most people back subsidy. I have been abused on this site beyond measure for supporting subsidy removal myself.

My point is you guys always hide Buhari's misadventures by sliding in ills from the previous leader forgetting that no leader in the modern history of Nigeria made such a big fuss both outside and within powe like Buhari. So judge squarely alone without dragging anyone else into his mess.
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Nobody: 9:55am On Mar 09, 2022
Hossannah:
how do they want businesses to survive in this country

The real question is: do they want business to survive in Nigeria (as in, business that doesn't enrich them directly)
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by MT: 9:56am On Mar 09, 2022
Simran94:
And yet we keep blaming people that are leaving the country, SMH.

There is inflation abroad right now. Pump price has soared and it has spread across the spectrum. If you dont have valid residence permit, it is tough now because even Government cannot even help you to alleviate some of the burden.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 09, 2022
dettolgel:

My point is you guys always hide Buhari's misadventures by sliding in ills from the previous leader forgetting that no leader in the modern history of Nigeria made such a big fuss both outside and within powe like Buhari. So judge squarely alone without dragging anyone else into his mess.

Yes, and this shows you did not read my comments.

For the record, and repeating myself...Buhari in 2015, should have removed subsides on petrol. By now we would have had more refineries coming up....more than the 6 we have. Instead he kept them, and kept on kicking the can down the road.

He also failed to diversify

But because I don't criticise him the way you do, you call me his supporter. That;s why I don't get you PDP and APC guys.

1 Like

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Nobody: 10:08am On Mar 09, 2022
MT:

There is inflation abroad right now. Pump rice has soared and it has spread across the spectrum. If you dont have valid residence permit, it is tough now because even Government cannot even help you to alleviate some of the burden.
That’s because of the Russia-Ukraine war

1 Like

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by MT: 10:12am On Mar 09, 2022
Simran94:

That’s because of the Russia-Ukraine war

Same thing that this article is talking about. There will be biting inflation in Nigeria due to Russia-Ukraine war. The ripple effect of the war will be felt in every corner of the earth.
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by samtinx(m): 10:13am On Mar 09, 2022
onyxo76:

i bought at 70 kobo back in 1992 ooo, suddenly abacha carried it to 3.25 ...we don suffer o
ahh egbon I wasn't born by then, but I sha don't know why wickedness is in the DNA of nigerian leaders cry
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 09, 2022
@backbencher I'm glad you're still on this thread.
You see, I've had an unwavering conviction that 'Nigeria can never be good again' ( not only in the face of Britain)...with my ample reasons.
After going through the Berling conference of 1884-85, Pat Utomi article on Nigeria subsidy, some books like; How Europe underdeveloped Africa, What Britain did to Nigeria etc.
You'll know that Africa has been captured by Europeans and will never develop in their face.
Except those that struggle to escape this like the North African countries as per their alliance with middle eastern countries.
I'd be glad if we can talk this out and see your thought on my reasons.
Perhaps we create another thread to discuss this.
If you can't do I for me, do it for my generation.

I'm glad I found this book in my existence.

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Nobody: 10:17am On Mar 09, 2022
MT:

Same thing that this article is talking about. There will be biting inflation in Nigeria due to Russia-Ukraine war. The ripple effect of the war will be felt in every corner of the earth.

Lol, when has Nigeria not been battling with inflation? Na today? Haven’t you seen where price of petrol has been coming from since early 2000s? See naira, since when has it been going crazy? We can’t even save money in naira anymore because it keeps getting devalued every year.
So it is not new, whether there is war or not it doesn’t change anything

2 Likes

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by emettang: 10:32am On Mar 09, 2022
President Buhari and APC have consistently lament PDP wasteful 16years and always cite high oil prices of early 2000 to mids 2000 as example.
Now is there turn to show what they can do with the current oil prices boom.

1 Like

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Greyworld: 10:37am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

More like...politicans like Buhari took advantage of the people's anger in 2012 to ride to power on opposition to subsidy removal.

The truth is , most Nigerians oppose subsidy removal. Even me, I opposed it till my eyes were opened in January 2012. And I understood some stuff.

But, as you can see on nairaland, and even outside this site...suggest subsidy removal, and people will abuse you, call you Buhari supporter, curse you, accuse you of propaganda, etc etc....because you want the poor to suffer.

As if the poor are not suffering from the resulting budget deficits that come from increasing subsidy costs.

Yeah... and again people expect to see infrastructures from the subsidy removal but hell No. Even if the subsidy is removed, the common man won't feel a positive impact.
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by dettolgel: 10:40am On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

Yes, and this shows you did not read my comments.

For the record, and repeating myself...Buhari in 2015, should have removed subsides on petrol. By now we would have had more refineries coming up....more than the 6 we have. Instead he kept them, and kept on kicking the can down the road.

He also failed to diversify

But because I don't criticise him the way you do, you call me his supporter. That;s why I don't get you PDP and APC guys.

I got your point.

But a quick question how did you arrive at the conclusion that I belong to a political party let alone the ones mentioned?

Did you see that you have committed the same mistake you accused me of? grin
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by DoNotMakeItWors: 10:40am On Mar 09, 2022
A failure will always have excuses to give until he's done fooling himself.

BUHARI led government have actually fooled themselves enough.

From inception of their regime, they have been blaming their failure on the low cost of crude oil in the international market. Claiming that PDP is the cause of their failure because oil boomed in the era of PDP

Now the price of crude is in its ATH and hardship is in its ATH. ....

Ike gwuru ochichi ndi efulefu.
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by timchogon81: 10:49am On Mar 09, 2022
High cost of crude has become a problem to us just because we have useless leadership. Only if we can refine our oil
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Anyhowman(m): 10:53am On Mar 09, 2022
E be like say even Satan no get solution for Nigeria problem
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:57am On Mar 09, 2022
VaselineCrew:

Meeeen, naijas problems are many.

We need to drastically cut down our population and increase our productivity, because how can minimum wage still be N30,000 and people will give birth to 10s of children.

Then there are the criminals in government. If subsidy is removed, there would be a lot of money made available to build infrastructure and sure up our currency. Would you mind expensive fuel, if it means a dollar now goes for N150? In fact you won't even know it's expensive because the currency would be strong, so that N300 fuel would really look like N100 fuel.

However, we know how they steal everything and how their supporters support them to steal all. See Tinubu with bullion vans on election eve in broad day light, as he know no one can touch him. That is the kind of country Nigeria is, filled with BOLD THIEVES, BOLD BOLD THIEVES.

See when they were still collecting toll money from lekki epe, yet the road was trash. How could that be? How could it be that you drive on THIRD MAINLAND BRIDGE, a free road, yet that road has proper and brilliant lane markings, and all the street lights work, but then you pay N300 to pass lekki epe and all the lanes have all faded, plus darkness everywhere. They had stolen all the money, like everything. Think deeply about this, how much would it really have cost them to employ someone to mark lanes on that road and fix the lights? Maybe one days worth of toll collection? Maybe a weeks worth?

Remove subsidy now and petrol will sell for ₦700 per Litre.

Diesel costs less that petrol
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by affable4(m): 12:02pm On Mar 09, 2022
LasgidyPort:

What are you saying? How much is a litre of diesel or petrol in unsubsidized markets??
I'm not saying anything. Is this the first time Nigeria is paying subsidy on petrol? Why the lamentations and threats of increase in pump price? I need simple explanation.
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:08pm On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

With the resultant deficits in the budget...and the fact that we cannot benefit from the oil

UAE has about 15 million people, and produces 2.4 million barrels of crude a day
Bahrain has less than 3 million poeple, and produces 1.6 million barrels of crude per day

As such they can fund their refineries, fund subsidy and have enough left over.

Nigeria has 211 million people and now produces 1.6 million barrels of crude a day. We can't fund subsidy without going into debt, and we don't have enough left over for refineries...in a way, we are using money for refining to subsidse fuel.

At the end, we end up going into debt to pay for subsides, plus we need to remove subsidy to attract investment..

Do you know that we need to borrow at least 3 trillion naira., if not more to meet subsidy demands this year? Do you know that we have been borrowing for years to meet up subsidy demands.? Who pays the debt, if not the poor graduates who earn N40000 yearly...plus in a way, we are in that position because subsidy means no investment, no jobs directly and indirectly., no extra money.

Nigerians do not have to pay ₦700 per litre for petrol.

Dedicated oil wells can be assigned for local consumption (this will come at a cost) the crude from these oil wells can be channeled to the refineries (govt owned or private) the cost of refining paid. This arrangement will most likely arrive at current prices.

Refining crude is not rocket science, it is done successfully in the bushes in SS.

We do not have to pay the international price of crude oil for local supply when it's for local use.

2 Likes

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Nobody: 12:16pm On Mar 09, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

Nigerians do not have to pay ₦700 per litre for petrol

So long as it guarantees profits, which guarantees more refineries, more jobs, and more government and forex savings, which means we may not end up paying that high for PMS...fine by me (and yes, it would eat up my salary as it is)

Dedicated oil wells can be assigned for local consumption (this will come at a cost) the crude from these oil wells can be channeled to the refineries (govt owned or private) the cost of refining paid. This arrangement will most likely arrive at current prices.

That's all right, so long as crude , and petrol refined from the crude is sold at a profit...which enables things like expansion of production to be paid for without pouring subsidy money into it.

I know you are into cars. If you imported a car at X price, would you sell it at Y price, lower then X , just to help poor Nigerians own a car.? Would you sell a Toyota camry 2013 at N200000 naira so as to help the poor own cars?

Refining crude is not rocket science, it is done successfully in the bushes in SS.

At the expense of our environment and our health. Remove subsidy, and they would have the money to upgrade their equipment so that reduced or zero soot.

We do not have to pay the international price of crude oil for local supply when it's for local use.
[/quote]

On that we agree (US has a similar system)...but it does not mean that fuel would become N100 per liter or 40 per liter.
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:31pm On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

So long as it guarantees profits, which guarantees more refineries, more jobs, and more government and forex savings, which means we may not end up paying that high for PMS...fine by me (and yes, it would eat up my salary as it is)

That's all right, so long as crude , and petrol refined from the crude is sold at a profit...which enables things like expansion of production to be paid for without pouring subsidy money into it.

I know you are into cars. If you imported a car at X price, would you sell it at Y price, lower then X , just to help poor Nigerians own a car.? Would you sell a Toyota camry 2013 at N200000 naira so as to help the poor own cars?

At the expense of our environment and our health. Remove subsidy, and they would have the money to upgrade their equipment so that reduced or zero soot.

On that we agree (US has a similar system)...but it does not mean that fuel would become N100 per liter or 40 per liter.

You noticed that the laws on who can refine crude is kept for a particular class.

Govt is not transparent.

Modular refineries are the solution, throw the licence open and provide an enabling environment .

1 Like

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:32pm On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

I am sure you saw this sorry excuse.

https://www.nairaland.com/7016010/modular-refineries-cant-refine-fuel

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 09, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

I am sure you saw this sorry excuse.

https://www.nairaland

What he said is simple....modular refineries cannot refine when government sets the price of the petrol they produce.

Basically, to apply the analogy to your interest....you import a car at a cost of N10 million and want to sell it at N11 million but government comes in and says you should sell it at N8 million.

Refineries, like other businesses, need profit to run. No profit, they crash.
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 09, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

You noticed that the laws on who can refine crude is kept for a particular class.

Govt is not transparent.

Modular refineries are the solution, throw the licence open and provide an enabling environment .

Yes, and the modular refineries have to operate at a certain standard, including meeting environmental standards.

Unless you want the good people of Rivers to keep on enjoying the soot and acid rain, and environmental damage from illicit refineries.
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by christistruth01: 12:44pm On Mar 09, 2022
Another monumental Fraud

God gave Nigerians Crude Oil free like he gave them Air and water free

The Cost of refining Crude Oil is not more than 10% and Nigeria should have built at least 10 working refineries by now
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:07pm On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

What he said is simple....modular refineries cannot refine when government sets the price of the petrol they produce.

Basically, to apply the analogy to your interest....you import a car at a cost of N10 million and want to sell it at N11 million but government comes in and says you should sell it at N8 million.

Refineries, like other businesses, need profit to run. No profit, they crash.

Takes us back to govt.

Provide crude at regulated prices and allow refined fuel to be sold , a profit will be made .
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by ChimaAdeoye: 1:11pm On Mar 09, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

Takes us back to govt.

Provide crude at regulated prices and allow refined fuel to be sold , a profit will be made .

If Nigeria were a serious country, it would license hundreds of modular refineries in states where oil is found.
BUT, Nigeria would not do that because it wants DANGOTE to have petroleum products MONOPOLY the same way they created cement monopoly for Dangote.

The result is that each time there is a spike in international oil price, we use some of the gains made from sale of crude at a higher price to import refined petroleum products. Nigerians will suffer the effect of higher prices and scarcity which the Nigerian leaders do not care about as long as they restrict petroleum products license to their cronies like DANGOTE

Imagine how wealthy Nigeria would be if they open up the downstream petroleum refining sector to private investors (Not Only DANGOTE) the way they opened our telecoms sector to private telecoms investors.

Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by Nobody: 1:12pm On Mar 09, 2022
GAZZUZZ:

Takes us back to govt.

That's the problem.

Regulated prices means prices below the cost of production , meaning PMS from the refineries would be sold at a loss.....meaning the refineries won't make the profit to run well.

If you are running a business, you do not want government regulating your price. Harsh truth......
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:22pm On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

That's the problem.

Regulated prices means prices below the cost of production , meaning PMS from the refineries would be sold at a loss.....meaning the refineries won't make the profit to run well.

If you are running a business, you do not want government regulating your price. Harsh truth......

you are taking us back again what we agreed on is that crude oil should not be sold at international prices locally
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:24pm On Mar 09, 2022
backbencher:

That's the problem.

what is the cost of refining 1 litre of petrol
Re: Crude Oil Price: MAN Warns Of Hyper Inflation, Subsidy Hits ₦400, Diesel, ₦625 by ufotunang: 1:56pm On Mar 09, 2022
Nawaoooo... Buhari had destroyed this country... putting more hardship on nigerians...if he had build refineries or repair the other existing 4 refineries all these hardship and problems nigerians are facing would not had happened

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Buhari Departs South Korea, Arrives In Abuja (Photos) / Sanusi Is Now Dan Majen Kano (Traditional Title) / We’ve Overcome Boko Haram, Buhari Tells Investors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.