Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,311 members, 7,815,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Unilag Industrial Mathematics Or Lasu Computer Science - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag Industrial Mathematics Or Lasu Computer Science (592 Views)

LASU Computer Science Department Poor Results (Screenshots) / What Can I Do With Industrial Mathematics Degree In Nigeria / Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Unilag Industrial Mathematics Or Lasu Computer Science by Ayomide73: 12:54am On Mar 13, 2022
Good day everyone,
I'm an aspirant for JAMB 2022 and I'm supposed to pick between these courses at the two schools but I'm confused. Kindly read through and advice me. Thanks!

Unilag Industrial Mathematics(with computer science). This program is a unique one that allows you to pick a minor in any of the following courses: computer science, actuarial science and statistics.
Pros:
*Low cut off mark (69% but 65% for me due to catchment area, I'm from Osun state)
*Not limited to a specific field
*I'd probably like to get a graduate degree in Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning or get into quantitative trading/research later on, and these fields are very math intensive so this course gives me an edge
*Better reputation(top 3 in Nigeria)
*Akoka, Yaba is closer to major tech hubs in Lagos so I think there's more job opportunities

Cons:
*ASUU strike, which will make me spend 5+ years
*Math is a more intensive program than CS so it will be more challenging but I think my math is fairly decent and with hardwork, I'll scale through.

LASU's Computer Science is also really good. They're ranked well, location factor etc.
Pros:
*4 years is 4 years, Lasu is not under ASUU
*Also has a decent reputation(top 10)

Cons:
*Inconsistent cut off mark. LASU doesn't publish their cut off marks so there's less transparency in the process.
*Unfortunately, I'm not an indigene of Lagos State so I think I'd have to perform better than indigenes to secure a spot.

These are my opinions on both courses so if you can advice me on what to do, I'll be eternally grateful.

Also, I already know basic programming languages like html, css, javascript, and I think learning how to code is something you can do on your own, so that is not a factor in my decisions.
Re: Unilag Industrial Mathematics Or Lasu Computer Science by sreamsense: 2:07pm On Mar 13, 2022
Most of those your analysis are irrelevant; go to LASU where you are offered computer science as major forget about offering computer as minor. If Unilag offers you Computer science, I will prefer you go there, but since you are offered maths instead, better go to LASU except if maths is your first choice you admired.

You will not understand until you graduate out of school and begin to look for job. Forget about school name and popularity, go to school that can let you acheive your dream, so far the school is accredited by NUC. However, any public university you go to will offer you theory, you must be determined to study harder and find way to practicalize things as you are taught in theory. For the fact that Unilag is in good environment does not translate to automatic job for you; you must be loaded with relevant ideas before your service can be needed.

LASU not publishing cut off is non of your business so far you secure admission. Also, all those small introduction to programming you assumed you know can turn to your advantage or disadvantage depending on how you build on it. Computer science is far more than that and wide; open your mind to explore other areas and don't be narrow minded on programming alone. Don't specialize at moment, be ready to widen your scope if you want to put food on your table in future via computer science.

Any public university you end up going to will offer you maximum of 25% through theoretical teaching and assignment, you must look for way to close 75% gap in skill acquisition. Many lecturers who are teaching in our university today don't have industrial experiences; many have never worked in the industry for one day, but want to train students to go to industries they had never been to. Many got lecturing after being jobless for years but kept pursuing higher degrees and writing theoretical journals.

Some first class materials retained through automatic employment never have practical experiences; when some of their colleagues were going for industrial training, they were busy reading for final year. Now they are employed and started teaching theory they learnt from their professors. In a nut cell, have a mind to bridge wide gap of 75% deficit in practical training through your diligence and hardwork

(1) (Reply)

Three Things To Know Should You Decide To Study In The UK / State Universities Commence Plans To Opt Out Of ASUU / I Need Help For My Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.