Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,004 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Walmart In Nigeria - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Walmart In Nigeria (19457 Views)

Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) / Walmart In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 2:58am On Jul 01, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Then English comprehension must not be your Forte.

Yea, you're right. Very different. Landfill is not eating up Ekiti like Abia  grin

How can you compare your bush state, with the commercial capital of the East?
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:59am On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

How can you compare your bush state, with the commercial capital of the East?

I just did. Bush or not, it's cleaner than your gutter state Abia.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by iragbijile: 3:01am On Jul 01, 2011
cap28:

^^^

I know working in walmart woudl be a dream come true for you because you sound like you just arrived in america,  walmart loves employing people like you with no education and minimal communication skills, you know why? because you are a source of cheap labour.  i know compared to what you left behind in nigeria working in walmart must be heaven for you.

I think he is already working for Walmart.   grin

Two years from now, he is still going to be writing like an illiterate that he is, satisfied with the crumbs Walmart throws his way.

My people perish for .     .       .
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by cap28: 3:02am On Jul 01, 2011
^^^^

grin grin grin grin

the illiterate is running to defend his masters because he applied for a job at walmart and was hired as a security guard even though he had difficulty filling out the application form - what a joker!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by mushufan2(m): 3:05am On Jul 01, 2011
@ cap28  dont hate bro I dnt work at walmart I did work dere wen I was in college n trust me it was fun lol where I work now with intel my months salary will cover ure one year salary lol u better look at d bright side of walmart coming to nigeria cos dey dnt have to ure busy hating on dem dat dey made 3.3million dollarfirst quarter of d year, ure an ode oshi mumu u want dem to make a loss fool dere not begging u to work bro if u dnt anoda person will so stop hating
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by iragbijile: 3:11am On Jul 01, 2011
mushufan2:

do u even knw how hard it is to get a job at walmart

No, do you mind telling me? I never applied there because I think working at Walmart is beneath me.

Anyway, how hard is it to get a job at walmart? Do they hire people with advanced degrees? People with very high IQs ( like 140 and above, because mine is just a lil under 140).

Sir, how hard is it? I 'd like to know.

If they only hire people with 140 and above IQ points, then I can understand how hard it is to get hired at Walmart.

BTW, to put things in perspective, 140 and higher !Q points = people with the ability to win Nobel prizes.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by mushufan2(m): 3:22am On Jul 01, 2011
Well u can stay n hope u have an iq dat high lol if u get ure degree in something dey need u for why wud dey not higher u u prolly knw nothing about incentives and benefits cos u dnt live here graduates dat work at walmart get paid really good plus all d bonus n benefits lol dos is a waste of time here arguying wiyb some dumb nigerians d main point is dat walmart coming to nigeria is a good move for d country n for dem as a company I wonder wat company runs to make a loss yall just hating dat dey make so much money n I bet u wen dey come yall gon b d first to go shop dere take pics n put it on facebook lmao I rest ma case here yall can keep hating
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by koruji(m): 3:42am On Jul 01, 2011
@iragbijile
So mr. Genius you are from Iragbiji?

iragbijile:

No, do you mind telling me? I never applied there because I think working at Walmart is beneath me.

Anyway, how hard is it to get a job at walmart? Do they hire people with advanced degrees? People with very high IQs ( like 140 and above, because mine is just a lil under 140).

Sir, how hard is it? I 'd like to know.

If they only hire people with 140 and above IQ points, then I can understand how hard it is to get hired at Walmart.

BTW, to put things in perspective, 140 and higher !Q points = people with the ability to win Nobel prizes.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:50am On Jul 01, 2011
This will be welcome development!With Walmart in Nigeria, other retailers, farmers and investors will be forced to shift their mindset from the "MAKE ALL PROFITS ON THE FIRST DAY" we have today to something like "GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT AT REASONABLE AND RATIONAL PRICES WHILE FOCUSING A BIT MORE ON PROVIDING BETTER QUALITY GOODS".
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by stkris(m): 4:38am On Jul 01, 2011
While Walmart isnt the holiest of companies, and is known to balance its budget on the back of its employees, i'm pretty darn sure having them over in nigeria is

more of a positive than a negative, however u want to view it.

whether in terms of job creation or product quality(even though they typically sell sub-standard items)

To call it as it is, how much worse can nigeria get. are we talking about the same nation where almost everyone is unemployed, the lucky ones are

underemployed, and even these few "employed" ones commonly go months n months without pay at their "jobs". ?

If you dont want a foreign body to occupy ur space, there is only one logical thing to do; occupy the darn space.

That said, if you have a problem with these kinds of prospects, and u're not personally doing anything about job creation in that nation,
i kindly ask that u SHUT DA HELL UP.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by isalegan2: 5:30am On Jul 01, 2011
cap28:

. . . Research the way they operate in america and you will find out the following:

they pay their employees starvation wages and offer mainly part time work

. . . they take out life insurance policies on their employees known as "dead peasant's policies" which stipulate that when an employee dies a lump sum is paid to the employer and not the employee's family or dependants

most of their employees are so badly paid that they can not afford to have deductions made from their pay towards the companies health insurance or pension benefits and many have to supplement their meagre income with food stamps and other govt assistance programmes

none of their stores have union representation - (without union representation workers have no collective rights and can be sacked or have their pay cut  whenever the employer feels like) . . .

Amazing how they're able to justify keeping most of their workers in perpetual underclass while Sam Walton's heiresses make the list of richest billionaires every stinking year.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 5:31am On Jul 01, 2011
Of course Kobojunkie would want Walmart in Nigeria. Anything Americana is good to her.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Akanbiedu(m): 8:42am On Jul 01, 2011
Funny how people who have no jobs complain of been enslaved in their country. When their theiving elites refuse to setup businesses in Nigeria, they are too dumb to do that anyway.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by mohid(m): 9:42am On Jul 01, 2011
st-kris:

While Walmart isnt the holiest of companies, and is known to balance its budget on the back of its employees, i'm pretty darn sure having them over in nigeria is

more of a positive than a negative, however u want to view it.

whether in terms of job creation or product quality(even though they typically sell sub-standard items)

To call it as it is, how much worse can nigeria get. are we talking about the same nation where almost everyone is unemployed, the lucky ones are

underemployed, and even these few "employed" ones commonly go months n months without pay at their "jobs". ?

If you dont want a foreign body to occupy your space, there is only one logical thing to do; occupy the darn space.

That said, if you have a problem with these kinds of prospects, and u're not personally doing anything about job creation in that nation,
i kindly ask that u SHUT DA HELL UP.

Definitely the best post on this topic yet, these companies aint charities, they are all out to make profit. Besides everyone thought the Chinese were going to get run over by the West when most of their companies started moving there in the early 80’s.Today china is the world's 2nd economy and giving the Americans a run for their money.
Funny there seems to be a huge disconnect between what folks say on this forum and what is on ground, imagine someone saying a company that pays $18,000 annually to its average employees is low paying and therfore not welcome, all this in a country where graduates run after moving vehicles at full speed to sell one “Gala”…my opinion is they would definitely kick start some segments of the economy like agriculture ,it will always be cheaper to grow some stuff here than import ,and that’s something successive governments have failed to do.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by member479760: 10:40am On Jul 01, 2011
save money live better! with 10 walmart store in Lagos, Ibos are in soup, hot one indeed.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:46am On Jul 01, 2011
ah, if dat happes, we all know at least one of the two outlets will be in Lag :p.

Anyways, I don't know why peeps are complaining. They will be offering jobs AND PAYING salaries, it's not as if Nigerians will be working for free. Considering the current shortage of jobs and the unwillingness of our government to create jobs, i'm sure the jobless graduate would only be too happy to apply for that "low paying job" at walmart. If you have any problems with that, then frigging set up your own retail outlets, employ Nigerians and give them the high salaries your're harping on about!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by cap28: 11:39am On Jul 01, 2011
mushufan2:

@ cap28 dont hate bro I dnt work at walmart I did work dere wen I was in college n trust me it was fun lol where I work now with intel my months salary will cover ure one year salary lol u better look at d bright side of walmart coming to nigeria cos dey dnt have to ure busy hating on dem dat dey made 3.3million dollarfirst quarter of d year, ure an ode oshi mumu u want dem to make a loss fool dere not begging u to work bro if u dnt anoda person will so stop hating

im not hating im just telling everyone the truth about how walmart operates and for someone who claims to live in america you dont seem to know much about the country.

Something tells me that you would struggle to earn much in a country like america with your poor communication skills so i sincerely doubt that you earn "more than i earn in a year" as you claim.

Walmart has been all over the amerian media for the terrible way that they treat their staff - why is it that people like you who are in even worse situations than the average americans DEFEND these kind of exploitative working practices? I could understand if you were a Walmart shareholder or a top executive in the company but you are just another star struck nigerian who idolises materialism. The only people who are benefitting from Walmart are the shareholders, the CEO and the very senior executives, everybody else is just a glorified slave in that company and this is somethign people like you cant get into your heads.

If Walmart can treat their felllow american employees like trash why would they treat nigerians any better?
and for those people saying that they are out to make profit - yes i understand that, but that should not be the overriding objective, there is such a thing as corporate responsiblity and ethical behaviour, walmart has a reputation for exploiting its workers and as a result it suffers huge staff turnover, only people who have limited life choices work for them.

In america, workers are exploited but at least they can fall back on govt assistance programmes like foodstamps, medicare, state pensions.
In nigeria there is no safety net making nigerian employees more vulnerable to exploitation, if i know i can get away with paying you 10 cents an hour because of high unemployment in your country and non existent labour legislation i will go ahead and pay you the 10 cents, and if you think that is impossible - that is what Disney pays factory workers in Haiti where workers work 23 hour shifts making children's clothes and toys.

So this is not about me being "jealous" of the profits they make but about me pointing out the huge gap between what they make in profits and what they pay their workers (slaves).
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by RSA(m): 11:54am On Jul 01, 2011
Walmart in South Africa

The beast in the bush
A hungry predator stalks Africa

ON FEBRUARY 11th the world’s most successful retailer came a step nearer to establishing a presence in Africa. South Africa’s Competition Commission approved Walmart’s proposed acquisition of a 51% stake in Massmart, a South African firm that owns 265 wholesale and retail stores in South Africa and 25 more in 13 other African countries. Massmart’s shareholders love the 16.5 billion rand ($2.3 billion) deal: 98% of them voted to approve it last month. But South African unions view it like a charging rhino in a narrow alley.

The American giant will bash unions, cut wages and drive more humane employers out of business, shop stewards predict. They also fear that it will source cheap products from China instead of buying locally. Mere talk of the merger has already destroyed “thousands of jobs”, they claim, by forcing other South African retailers to lay off workers and make working conditions worse in preparation for the great American onslaught. The Congress of South African Trade Unions, South Africa’s biggest union group, has threatened to stage “the mother of all boycotts” of Massmart products and a strike at all its stores if Walmart takes over.
The Competition Commission is sceptical of the unions’ claims. It said it had received assurances from the merging parties that they would honour existing union agreements, abide by South Africa’s tough labour laws and source most of their products locally. Massmart insists it has no plans to make any lay-offs. On the contrary, it says it plans to open 54 new stores (net) over the next three years and add 6,300 new hires to its 27,000 employees. Further objections from South African unions and others will be heard by the Competition Tribunal, another official body, next month. It, too, is expected to rule in favour of the deal.

Ten years ago Massmart, which is South Africa’s leading wholesale warehouse business, decided that it needed a global partner. Walmart began sniffing around South Africa three years ago, seeking a toehold on a continent where consumer spending power has risen sharply in the past decade.

The obvious partner was Shoprite, Africa’s biggest grocer. But Massmart increased its allure by rushing into the food-retailing business, and the gamble paid off. Massmart now has 40 grocery stores in South Africa, with many more in the pipeline, and has become the country’s third-biggest food retailer. If the merger is consummated, Massmart will continue to trade under its old brand names, such as Game, Makro, Builders’ Warehouse and CBW.

But beyond this, the Beast of Bentonville is cagey about its plans. Walmart says it aims not to change Massmart’s strategy, but simply “to put the foot on the accelerator”. It may be a heavy foot. Walmart did not become a $200 billion company without running down a few pedestrians. Few doubt that it will use all its skill and muscle to reduce prices and woo shoppers. It may stumble for cultural reasons, as it did in Germany. But if it succeeds, the effects may be profound.

South African retailers such as Shoprite, Pick ’n’ Pay, Spar and Woolworths are highly sophisticated and offer a fine array of fresh food, at least in the big cities. But they cannot match Walmart’s scale, global sourcing network or logistical brilliance. So there is a chance that Walmart will reduce prices so much that it affects the national inflation rate, as it has in America. At a time of painfully surging food prices, that would be a hefty boon for the needy. But it won’t please everyone.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by martinosi: 12:11pm On Jul 01, 2011
chines4:

Good new

Bad news!!! You response tells us you do not shop at Walmart/Asda a.k.a Wallays World! and dont know
the long term effects of Wallification on an economy!!! I guess u are in Nigeria then,

Nigeria does not need these Guys, Pass! Next!!!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by martinosi: 12:13pm On Jul 01, 2011
blapo:

lets see it happen first and its also a good news if a foreign investor is ready to invest in Nigeria. you think a boy that sells pure water on the street would not prefer to be a sales boy in a big retail outlet?

low paying job is better than no job and those who think a foreign investor is here to explore us, well i don't know what to say again.

U need to go back to sleep, All foreign investors in Nigeria are out to exploit Nigerians Period!!!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by martinosi: 12:17pm On Jul 01, 2011
EzeUche:

This is an attack on Igbo businesses.  angry

Yes Sir! you got that right!!!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by wales(m): 1:03pm On Jul 01, 2011
From source One will be in Lagos and the other one will be in Abuja !
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 1:04pm On Jul 01, 2011
I have never been a fan of Wal-Mart and with the recent decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in which the court did not certify a class action based upon discrimination, this isn't a good move for Nigeria. Although, I'm more worried about them than I am for the average igbo man who knows how to source his goods. At the same time, these guys will kill Nigerian economy with Chinese products, not very good for an economy wanting to start manufacturing.

An average Walmart has an average revenue of $60million, the SUPER Walmarts have up to $100 million. They are selling the same Chinese products but wage will be less in Nigeria than it is here. For instance, an average Wal-Mart associate earns $8.00, a lil above federal minimum wage, with an average work hours of 24hrs. That's a monthly gross earning of $768, due to economic disparities, shrink down the cost of living by half (which is impossible), an average associate in Nigeria should earn at least $384. Now ask yourself, will Wal-Mart pay their associates $384 x 154 exchange rate = N59,136? Even if they worked a whole 8hrs standard day for 4weeks, will they still earn N59,136?

I say boycott Walmart because this company will have a negative shock effect on our economy.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by OneONYX: 1:09pm On Jul 01, 2011
I have to take you on this one Cap28.

1) Laughing all the way to the bank: Isn't that what business is meant for? I really don't have to talk about this.

2) They pay their employees starvation wages and offer mainly part time work: Haha, dude, it's a retail store not an investment bank! Back in 2008, as a fresh graduate, I worked for a Nigeria owned company in Lagos. I had an official car (for sales calls), wore a suit and a tie, but was paid about N25K/month! Take a quick survey among young graduates in Nigeria who don't work for banks, multinationals and oil companies and you'll be shocked at what they earn. I'm not in support of "starvation wages", but it's not a new thing in Nigeria and I'd rather have secondary school graduates work for N20K/month at Walmart than be a bus conductor or rot away at home for years while waiting for JAMB (this really happens btw)!!! Besides, not all the jobs at Walmart are low paying ( I know that for sure)

3) They take out life insurance policies on their employees known as "dead peasant's policies: Yeah, I saw the documentary too. This is a really evil policy, so I don't have much to say about it. However, worse have happened in Nigeria;  the Julius Berger white man who abuses his employees with his dog, or the lebanese/chinese manufacturers who locks you up with poisonous fumes in the factory, then fire you if you get injured, or the oil companies in the Delta and all their atrocities? Truth is, if this were the States, you could make a documentary out of each story, but in Nigeria, this sort of stories only command 1/16th of a page in the back page of The Sun! Bottom line, this is not half as bad as what we already have in Nigeria and it doesn't mean they'll do it over here.

4) None of their stores have union representation: Really dude? Where do you think this is, Detroit? What have the unions done for even Govt workers in Nigeria? not to talk of the private sector? Even if Walmart allows unions in Nigeria, what will the employees gain? Bottom line, we don't have strong unions here, so Walmart will not start or stop anything.

5) They put local retailers out of business: What do you mean? Can you change your perspective from a suburb in LA county to Iyana-Ipaja? who are the local retailers there and what do they sell? 100s of people with "shops"  attached to their houses all selling the same crappy stuff, 100s of people with roadside stands clogging-up the streets, wheelbarrow merchandise, and the "shopping plazas" containing exuberant traders grabbing your arm as you pass by. Really? you prefer walking for miles in mud covered markets than doing your grocery in one superstore with standardized prices? Did you even think of the economic impact that 3 Walmart stores would have in a place like Iyana-Ipaja for instance? How many jobs will be created for kids who would otherwise become street urchins? What about graduates that can work in logistics (Walmart has one of the best in the world), accounting, management, etc. Or what about the local suppliers, distributors etc. Put it together, one Walmart store in Iyana-Ipaja can have more economic impact in terms of jobs etc than 20 banks combined!!! How much tax will go back to the state coffers? You think those "shops" pay tax? haha! (except to the agberos) How many of the things in those "shops" do we even produce in Nigeria? Walmart will not change anything regarding importation in Nigeria, we already import everything!!!

Okay, I'm getting late for work! More comments later!!!
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by omoola007(m): 1:24pm On Jul 01, 2011
I love. How everyone looks for the worst post about walmart to post on NL. Before anyone call me a Wally world shopper, I have bought items there before but I hate and avoid walmart I personally prefer Target (and yes THey pay minimum wage too but they look posh and have swagga doing it)

That being said People on NL keep forgetting that (I didn't realise this too until I moved back a few months ago) Nigeria's under/unemployments rate is about 70%, Government worker are generally severely underemployed and most go to the office waiting for retirement and pension. As for private employment NAija factor always eats about 15% of profit or adds 15% to cost. So we need better management systems and Market efficiency (walmart is the most efficient company in the world) YES I SAID IT. Take it to the bank.

When walmart shows up they wont come alone. They will attract other investors and job creators. Like someone. Said before if NIgerians don't want that, then occupy the glaring empty space in the Market. Come to think of it we had better supermarkets in the '80 in this Lagos than now. I remember my mom shopping at leventis and Woolworth. Now everyone entered Market eto haggle and price common garri and yam.

I look forward to Nigerians manufacturing sector developing. Farmers supplying their stores and security companies providing security.

And for this who think of walmart as a lower income employer. I know  a nigerian who is a regional director at walmart and buy all standards he is a millionaire (in $) hazard educated guy too. Walmart as accountants, bankers, lawyers, engineers, architects, procurement managers, logistics managers, facility managers, truck and hauling directors, customs specialist, drivers, cleaners, labourers, all these are jobs and people will fit in where they can get in. If you dont like walmartjobs or retail practice. Just don't support them . That that was easy. Shikena,
RSA:

Walmart in South Africa

The beast in the bush
A hungry predator stalks Africa

ON FEBRUARY 11th the world’s most successful retailer came a step nearer to establishing a presence in Africa. South Africa’s Competition Commission approved Walmart’s proposed acquisition of a 51% stake in Massmart, a South African firm that owns 265 wholesale and retail stores in South Africa and 25 more in 13 other African countries. Massmart’s shareholders love the 16.5 billion rand ($2.3 billion) deal: 98% of them voted to approve it last month. But South African unions view it like a charging rhino in a narrow alley.

The American giant will bash unions, cut wages and drive more humane employers out of business, shop stewards predict. They also fear that it will source cheap products from China instead of buying locally. Mere talk of the merger has already destroyed “thousands of jobs”, they claim, by forcing other South African retailers to lay off workers and make working conditions worse in preparation for the great American onslaught. The Congress of South African Trade Unions, South Africa’s biggest union group, has threatened to stage “the mother of all boycotts” of Massmart products and a strike at all its stores if Walmart takes over.
The Competition Commission is sceptical of the unions’ claims. It said it had received assurances from the merging parties that they would honour existing union agreements, abide by South Africa’s tough labour laws and source most of their products locally. Massmart insists it has no plans to make any lay-offs. On the contrary, it says it plans to open 54 new stores (net) over the next three years and add 6,300 new hires to its 27,000 employees. Further objections from South African unions and others will be heard by the Competition Tribunal, another official body, next month. It, too, is expected to rule in favour of the deal.

Ten years ago Massmart, which is South Africa’s leading wholesale warehouse business, decided that it needed a global partner. Walmart began sniffing around South Africa three years ago, seeking a toehold on a continent where consumer spending power has risen sharply in the past decade.

The obvious partner was Shoprite, Africa’s biggest grocer. But Massmart increased its allure by rushing into the food-retailing business, and the gamble paid off. Massmart now has 40 grocery stores in South Africa, with many more in the pipeline, and has become the country’s third-biggest food retailer. If the merger is consummated, Massmart will continue to trade under its old brand names, such as Game, Makro, Builders’ Warehouse and CBW.

But beyond this, the Beast of Bentonville is cagey about its plans. Walmart says it aims not to change Massmart’s strategy, but simply “to put the foot on the accelerator”. It may be a heavy foot. Walmart did not become a $200 billion company without running down a few pedestrians. Few doubt that it will use all its skill and muscle to reduce prices and woo shoppers. It may stumble for cultural reasons, as it did in Germany. But if it succeeds, the effects may be profound.

South African retailers such as Shoprite, Pick ’n’ Pay, Spar and Woolworths are highly sophisticated and offer a fine array of fresh food, at least in the big cities. But they cannot match Walmart’s scale, global sourcing network or logistical brilliance. So there is a chance that Walmart will reduce prices so much that it affects the national inflation rate, as it has in America. At a time of painfully surging food prices, that would be a hefty boon for the needy. But it won’t please everyone.

Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Gbenge77(m): 1:28pm On Jul 01, 2011
We shall have to wait and see if that materialises.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by ektbear: 1:29pm On Jul 01, 2011
wales:

From source One will be in Lagos and the other one will be in Abuja !

Interesting. Is this source private or public?

Anyway, I'm pretty pro-Walmart. Hopefully this experiment works out well for both sides.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by omoola007(m): 1:31pm On Jul 01, 2011
Manny4life,
Just in case you are out of touch, minimum wage is still N10,000 they are fighting to pay the approved N18,000 minimum wage. So someone making N60,000 at walmart will be better off than say someone in the federal or state civil service.

Secondly exchange rate is about 158 to 160 not 154.

Please I am not attacking your person just your point.

Respectfully
Omoola007
manny4life:

I have never been a fan of Wal-Mart and with the recent decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in which the court did not certify a class action based upon discrimination, this isn't a good move for Nigeria. Although, I'm more worried about them than I am for the average igbo man who knows how to source his goods. At the same time, these guys will kill Nigerian economy with Chinese products, not very good for an economy wanting to start manufacturing.

An average Walmart has an average revenue of $60million, the SUPER Walmarts have up to $100 million. They are selling the same Chinese products but wage will be less in Nigeria than it is here. For instance, an average Wal-Mart associate earns $8.00, a lil above federal minimum wage, with an average work hours of 24hrs. That's a monthly gross earning of $768, due to economic disparities, shrink down the cost of living by half (which is impossible), an average associate in Nigeria should earn at least $384. Now ask yourself, will Wal-Mart pay their associates $384 x 154 exchange rate = N59,136? Even if they worked a whole 8hrs standard day for 4weeks, will they still earn N59,136?

I say boycott Walmart because this company will have a negative shock effect on our economy.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by NatGas(m): 1:35pm On Jul 01, 2011
I dont under these Nairalanders.what s the problem with you guys?talking about extortion and creeping the economy, who extorts Nigeria more?the foreign investors or the people in public offices(the Government)?how will Walmart be different from the other foreign multinationals that some of us are working for now?
I believe some of u guys  will be more ready to trade job places if the opportunity arise to work with walmart.
[b]All we do is talk!talk!and talk in this country.[/b]
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 1:40pm On Jul 01, 2011
omoola007:

Manny4life,
Just in case you are out of touch, minimum wage is still N10,000 they are fighting to pay the approved N18,000 minimum wage. So someone making N60,000 at walmart will be better off than say someone in the federal or state civil service.

Secondly exchange rate is about 158 to 160 not 154.

Please I am not attacking your person just your point.

Respectfully
Omoola007

Thanks for the highlights and hey this is a public forum; everyone airs their opinion and no attacks. What you're explaining is not what I'm saying.

My point is given economic disparities, if u shrink down what an average earner earns here using a minimum wage of $8.00/hr @ 24hrs a week (part time), having acknowledges such disparities, where we reduce their income by half, Walmart WILL NOT PAY up to half of what they paid their U.S. counterparts but at the same time, the sell through rate or better yet the items will be sold at the same rate as it is sold here.

Trust me, the international bank exchange is at 154, at least that was my offer price. I don't have to put my business out there so u will have to believe me. Also, even if it was up to 160, the wage conversion will be higher and it still means that Walmart won't pay that amount. That is my point.
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by Mariory(m): 1:41pm On Jul 01, 2011
[Sarcasm]

(Be employed and earn minimum wage) OR (Be unemployed and earn nothing) == (Very tough choice for the jobless)

[/Sarcasm]
Re: Walmart In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 2:10pm On Jul 01, 2011
Some of these Nairaland arguments sef.
So two Walmarts will change the entire dynamics of the retail market in Nigeria? Just like Park N' Shop/Spar, and Shoprite have put the entire Igbo trading ecosystem out of business?

Have fun, guys.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Journey Into The Short Let Apartment Business In Lagos. / 5 Secrets About Making Money Online That You Should Know / The Central Bank Of Nigeria - Owned And Controlled By 'the Rothschilds'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.