Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,923 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? (13125 Views)

3 Life Lessons To Learn From The Nigerian Igbo Business Men / Walmart Nigeria: Good Or Bad Idea? (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) / Walmart In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by lagosapple: 7:12pm On Jul 03, 2012
It appears this guy is saying that the Igbo are finished with the coming of the super stores to Nigeria.

http://saharareporters.com/column/end-igbo-business-model-rudolf-ogoo-okonkwo

Have your say.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by NwaNimo1(m): 7:17pm On Jul 03, 2012
Rubbish - can you price in wallmart?

Growing up in Enugu there were supermarkets everywhere - but most people would still visit the market to get a good deal.

Wallmart will fail - Igbo's will out hustle them with their eyes closed.

9 Likes

Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 03, 2012
Nwa_Nimo: Rubbish - can you price in wallmart?

Growing up in Enugu there were supermarkets everywhere - but most people would still visit the market to get a good deal.

lol. tell them bro! cool

1 Like

Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by dasparrow: 9:17pm On Jul 03, 2012

True talk!

I too have noticed that things are still cheaper and probably fresher in the local market than all this big chain grocery stores like shoprite and co that are springing up all over the place in Nigeria. Most Nigerians who are strugling cannot afford to shop in those places anyway. Moreover, walmart sells alot of 'made in china' crap that is lead tainted especially toys. And I am so sure that they will jack up the prices of their goods in Nigeria knowing that Nigerians will buy regardless of price because most want to show off and let people know that they can afford stuff from 'the white man's land' that is being sold in Nigeria. And lastly, I do not support walmart coming to Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by Ejine(m): 9:23pm On Jul 03, 2012
^ In as much as the points raised by the posters above me are valid to a certain degree, I still think the coming of Walmart will destroy Nigeria's middle class.

Someone obviously did a poor job of running analyses based on its long-term effects before bringing these guys over.

Watch this space, gentlemen.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by Ejine(m): 9:56pm On Jul 03, 2012
By the way, who the phuck is that imbeciile, Commander Samyoung, posting those garbage "apocalypse" ramblings in that SaharaReporters message board?

Could someone PLEASE be kind enough to drag that nutcase and his bible to a phucking Psych Ward?

What a MOORON!!!

1 Like

Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by Buchika: 10:07pm On Jul 03, 2012
Worry about the Chinese not about walmart , shoprite or anyother big stores we have seen the uac s, john holts, kingways etc. Remember that over 70% of Nigerians lives in rural areas and vast majority re poor. When the manufacture (chinese) starts retailing hmmm.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 11:33pm On Jul 03, 2012

[size=16pt]THANK YOU[/size]

I've said this before, Walmart does not have the bargaining power like the average consumer, therefore, they do not stand a chance.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by ikee(m): 11:46pm On Jul 03, 2012
manny4life:

[size=16pt]THANK YOU[/size]

I've said this before, Walmart does not have the bargaining power like the average consumer, therefore, they do not stand a chance.
!00

100% Right my brother
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jul 03, 2012
Its even d street mallams dat should feel threatened.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by BlackPikiN(m): 11:57pm On Jul 03, 2012
Ejiné: By the way, who the phuck is that imbeciile, [size=20pt]Commander Samyoung[/size], posting those garbage "apocalypse" ramblings in that SaharaReporters message board?

Could someone PLEASE be kind enough to drag that nutcase and his bible to a phucking Psych Ward?

What a MOORON!!!

You mean this guy

lol.... grin grin grin grin hahahaha

Chinese war with Ndigbo in Africa will be first fight spiritual before the fiscal part of it. manufacturing is not easy with limit resources of ndigbo who can not come together to build factories like Americans. The spiritual part of it is to know who are the Chinese, Koreas, Japan and Indians in the spirit. They all belong to Dragon called Beast of Business in the world(Rev 13:16-18)The Dragon is the source of water into the empty windy and cloudy universe of black male angels who became female before the coming of water as Death of the Earth and its resurrection with the coming of Christ the Light and Word. Chinese gained support in Africa with Muslims in Lagos and North, where Chinese and other Islamic business men are more accepted than an Ibo of Nigeria. Ndigbo hold on Christ Last Salvation which is the death of the Dragon, black Stars of Africa and Moon for your freedom. Christ The Spirit, Word and Power who created the Dragon and angels of four winds and darkness.

OGO NAKWA ECHECKI, TAKE NOTE
Submitted by Pastor Commander Samyoung Onwuzulike (not verified) on July 3, 2012 - 14:48.

We are at War between Abraham and Hagar. The war for the ownership of the world like the days of King Solomon and The two Harlots who were fighting over the ownership of the Living Child. Today's Living Child is the Universe. Hagar is The Mother of Ishmael who became the Queen of wilderness the foolish Mother, who received the wisdom and grace of Last Salvation and Abraham of the Trinity of the Father, God as Three in One but Hagar of Islam One God called Allah. Abraham is Messenger of God of sacrifices, rituals and escape goat. He sacrificed Jesus Christ as Isaac the Lamb to Jews and Christians, and Ishmael as ram for Arabs, and to customs and traditions as two escape goats. Hagar who is the symbol of the seven spirits of darkness and black clouds was Male angel in the beginning who became Female as Eunuch and married to seven spirit of darkness of God Mary Magdalene which formed the universe before the coming of water of dragon and serpent which is the death of 1st earth of Eunuch.

I don laff tire... grin grin grin

and this

Submitted by Pastor Commander Samyoung Onwuzulike (not verified) on July 3, 2012 - 14:15.

The end of Igbo Business Model is the end of Trinity of the Father. The Father who is holding them in bondage with law of Sabbath which is the law of Moses. The death of Trinity is the beginning of Christ Last Salvation in Nigeria, Africa and Black world, because ndigbo have the testimony of the slavery of Black Angels of the earth in Catholic churches being the greatest producer of Catholic Priest in Africa.Last Salvation is freedom of Black Star angels who were Male in the beginning before they were casted down and made Eunuch their body is of man but inside is female, which is the root of gays and lesibians that formed the earth. The fiscal Last Salvation was performed in the front of St Patrick's Church Umuokparafor Umunoha Mbaitoli LGA Imo State. The resurrection of The Father, Moon, Stars into Super Nova One World was on 17th Day called St Patrick's day.

my belle dey pain me no be small.

LAZARUS IS TODAY'S CHURCHES AND ISLAM
Submitted by Pastor Commander Samyoung Onwuzulike (not verified) on July 3, 2012 - 13:24.

Lazarus whom Jesus Christ delivered from death who was in the Kingdom of Abraham is the Churches and Islam of today under the bondage of Abraham and his God. But the amazing thing there is the richman who was left in hell of Abraham. Who is him? Christ of Africa and Judas Iscriot his treasury. Churches and Islam must be freed from bondage of sacrifice of Abraham. Our Last Salvation ends all sacrifices of lamb, ram, escape and Jesus Christ as lamb and ram with his angel Gabriel and Michael the two thieves on his sides of the cross.President Johnathan wake up for the truth and free yourself and black world with the calling of declaration of Last Salvation Resurrection and Restitution of Christ as Super Nova One World.

THIS IS NOT TIME FOR MEDIOCRITY
Submitted by Pastor Commander Samyoung Onwuzulike (not verified) on July 3, 2012 - 12:51.

This time in Nigeria and the entire world is not time for mediocrity, whether you believed in God or not you have roof over your head that controls your action. That roof is Christ. Do you know the formation of the earth? who housed the oceans, seas, rivers, mountains and all inhabitants of the earth? As the earth and her children are under the curse of God and were freed by Christ Last Salvation which was denied by Abraham and his children of Judaism, Islam and Christians,there will be no peace in the world without restitution of Last Salvation. Last Salvation is 2nd death of Jesus Christ on Monday the 9th Day after his Sunday 8th Day Resurrection. He resurrected on 17th day being the resurrection into Super Nova One World. This is Christ of Africas' Mission. Declaration of this Last Salvation in Nigeria and Africa is the freedom of the Black World. What is Black World the aborgines of the universe. The angels of darkness of the earth.

Ogo Where are we?
Submitted by Pastor Commander Samyoung Onwuzulike (not verified) on July 3, 2012 - 12:29.

Ogo Where are we? You raised a topic regarding the sufferings and problems facing Nigeria and Africa which you narrowed down on National Conference. I told you I will give it you to prove to you that Christ is Africa. I even gave you date before Oct 01,2012 the President and his NASS will call for National Conference. This morning come back to you to discovered that you have removed that topic. My Son stop playing with fire because Our Christ is not a respecter of man. If you guys believed that those people who have received Last Salvation for Black World they called Satan are fake you must be kidding. I am not under rating your Academic knowledge but you dont have to denied the truth. As far as Christ remains the servant of Abraham Nigeria and Africa can never see peace and progress. Even the world of Abraham and his God Melchizedek will not see peace.

You sure say sahara reporters no wan create their own version of MUSIWA/BECOMERICH.. lol
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by amor4ce(m): 12:12am On Jul 04, 2012
Aren't many Nigerians seeking to live like those in the West?
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:12am On Jul 04, 2012
FROM THE STABLES OF THE MENTALLY UNBALANCED SAMYOUNG:
Submitted by Pastor Commander Samyoung Onwuzulike (not verified) on July 3, 2012 - 16:17.
Chinese war with Ndigbo in Africawill be first fight spiritual before the fiscal part of it. manufacturingis not easy with limit resources of ndigbo who can not come together to build factories like Americans. The spiritual part of it is to know who are the Chinese, Koreas, Japan and Indians in the spirit. They all belong to Dragon called Beast of Business in the world(Rev 13:16-18)The Dragon is the source of water into the empty windy and cloudy universe of black male angels who became female before the coming of water as Death of the Earth and its resurrection with the coming of Christ the Light and Word. Chinese gained support in Africa with Muslims in Lagos and North, where Chinese and other Islamic business men are more accepted than an Ibo of Nigeria. Ndigbo hold on Christ Last Salvation which is the death of the Dragon, black Stars of Africa and Moon for your freedom. Christ The Spirit, Word and Power who created theDragon and angels of four winds and darkness.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:14am On Jul 04, 2012
BlackPikiN:

You mean this guy

lol.... grin grin grin grin hahahaha

I don laff tire... grin grin grin

and this

my belle dey pain me no be small.

You sure say sahara reporters no wan create their own version of MUSIWA/BECOMERICH.. lol
_
You beat me to it. Lol.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by strangest(m): 12:18am On Jul 04, 2012

yes o.. I remember good old kingsway, they are now in the museum... usually walmart is going to pay for their accomodation and NEPA light and the ACs... they are going to transfer all this to the consumer, definitely the price will always be cheaper at the roadside thhough the ONLY issue will be getting a genuine product at the roadside but I wonder how many families in the country that can purchase an original CD plate at 1,000naira but the china/aba made own na 100 naira...
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by OmanIman: 12:28am On Jul 04, 2012
1st it was Shoprite,then Spar and anothr Shoprite in abj!Nw Walmart?Haba dis shld stop!Govt shld encourage local enterpreneurs.Makes me feel all we'll ever do in dis country is jus to "Consume" till thy kingdom come!V sad!Enof of dis "Super Stores"!

3 Likes

Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by MacLovington(m): 12:52am On Jul 04, 2012

But herd mentality and "keeping up with the Joneses" factor cannot be ignored. We may soon raise a generation of urban-dwellers who will see shopping in a mall as a mark of sophistication and patronising Mama Chinyere shop as being too "local". 20 years on, these supermarkets might become too influential on our tastes and lifestyle.

We Africans like to ape the westerners.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by ochukoccna: 1:19am On Jul 04, 2012
dasparrow:
I too have noticed that things R still cheaper and probably fresher in the local market
1-Last time I checked Shoprite&other malls dont do only grocery.
2-Many things R relatively cheaper there
3-Why R malls springing up daily?Ever heard of D word 'profit'?
4-D mall biz is buy in bulk&sell cheap.Guess what,every1 buys from China now
5-Walmart more financial muscle,its better structured to obtain loans&great deals
6-Not every1 digs shopping in 9ja dirty,crowded,noisy markets

1 Like

Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:34am On Jul 04, 2012
ochukoccna:
5-Walmart more financial muscle,its better structured to obtain loans&great deals

1. It's true it's not only grocery but most customers that walk through "grocery stores" are there to buy one fresh produce.

2. I do not agree with you on this, most things are "relatively more expensive", however,perhaps, lil more quality.

3. Just because they spring up don't mean they make profit. That is a WRONG assumption. There are so many factors mitigating against retail stores that small owners do not worry about.

4. They might buy in bulk but the true question remains, WHAT IS THE INVENTORY TURNOVER RATE?

5. No doubt on this part, the supply part isn't the issue but the demand is the question. They may have great deals, but remember that it's not the same model that works here that works in Nigeria. For instance, the purchasing power of an average America IS NOT the same as an average Nigerian, so go figure.

6. Unfortunately, majority of Nigerians who live below the average income have no option that to dig dirty to find deals in noisy market. Unfortunately, a huge number of people fall into this class, at least more than 80% fall into this category.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:51am On Jul 04, 2012
obviously you all dont know how walmart operates
remember walmarts main goal is to drive out the competition,come see how many local stores walmart don cripple for here and in china where they make the good demselves not to talk of naija where we make nothing
as much as Nigerians like to form bigboy u say people will not go to walmart stores,even if its just for prestige,nigerians will flock there
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by StarrMatthieu: 2:26am On Jul 04, 2012
Thanks for sharing.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by ebamma(m): 2:33am On Jul 04, 2012
walmart and co. Are for the rich guys,the poor guy and middle class dudes will always patronize the igbos.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by okeyxyz(m): 3:04am On Jul 04, 2012
ochukoccna:

milehigh06: obviously you all dont know how walmart operates
remember walmarts main goal is to drive out the competition,come see how many local stores walmart don cripple for here and in china where they make the good demselves not to talk of naija where we make nothing
as much as Nigerians like to form bigboy u say people will not go to walmart stores,even if its just for prestige,nigerians will flock there

you guys are on point, most people don't understand that walmart's business model is to operate on the mid to low-end price segments. walmart does not compete in the same price range as shoprite or spar, rather they sell goods that are cheaper thereby catering to the purchasing power of guys who'd not shop or shop occasionally at shoprite/spar. walmart outsources manufacturing on a large scale to the cheapest suppliers in china, they have the influence to buy from them as cheap as possible because every supplier wants to trade with walmart & they will sell to malmart at low margins hoping to make their profits from the very large quantities they are able to supply. walmart will come to nigeria & compete with local traders on the very same products & prices these nigerians trade on and they can sell far cheaper than we get these goods on the streets with the strategy that they'd make their profits from turning over large quantities goods just like their own suppliers do.

Mehn, i fear for the ordinary nigerian trader who's about to be out of business soon, What exactly do our govts think when they bring in multinationals to compete with our petty traders?? why do they not research case studies of the impacts of the likes of walmart on local business in other places of europe, asia & america?

4 Likes

Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by bashr8: 3:05am On Jul 04, 2012
unles they open their stores in all villages in nigeria they stand no chance against the igbos.we will bid them out. they will close up like kingsway ,uac and the rest .already people in enugu dont even go to shoprite anymore unlike when it opened , the hype have already died down.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by belltwelve(m): 3:31am On Jul 04, 2012
‘The Igbos will not be beaten in business’- Oforkaja Posted on July 3, 2012 by Prince Charles Oforkaja

‘There are fears that, with the coming of the Chinese and Walmart into Nigeria’s commercial space, that the Igbo business model is doomed.

In the event of a titanic challenge to our markets, the only thing that could change is our strategy, but not our fate. Therefore, Ndigbo, you have nothing to fear but fear itself. We are born winners.

The Igbos will always survive, and thrive, no matter what. As for trade, we will not give up that easily. Ndigbo have nothing to fear.’
Source: Igbodefender.com

Nuff said
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by Obiagu1(m): 4:02am On Jul 04, 2012
It's better to prevent Walmart and co from coming to Nigeria; no one knows the dynamics. I've warned about this before. It's not only Igbos that will be affected but the middle class. I hope our government is getting ready for welfare system too for those that will completely lose hope in getting out of poverty.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by safarigirl(f): 4:24am On Jul 04, 2012
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by safarigirl(f): 4:28am On Jul 04, 2012
okeyxyz:

you guys are on point, most people don't understand that walmart's business model is to operate on the mid to low-end price segments. walmart does not compete in the same price range as shoprite or spar, rather they sell goods that are cheaper thereby catering to the purchasing power of guys who'd not shop or shop occasionally at shoprite/spar. walmart outsources manufacturing on a large scale to the cheapest suppliers in china, they have the influence to buy from them as cheap as possible because every supplier wants to trade with walmart & they will sell to malmart at low margins hoping to make their profits from the very large quantities they are able to supply. walmart will come to nigeria & compete with local traders on the very same products & prices these nigerians trade on and they can sell far cheaper than we get these goods on the streets with the strategy that they'd make their profits from turning over large quantities goods just like their own suppliers do.

Mehn, i fear for the ordinary nigerian trader who's about to be out of business soon, What exactly do our govts think when they bring in multinationals to compete with our petty traders?? why do they not research case studies of the impacts of the likes of walmart on local business in other places of europe, asia & america?
if that's their tactic, they'll close down fast, meanwhile will there be branches in every state or just major cities i.e Lagos, Abuja, PH et al? If Igbo man no see business for point A, e go shift to point B, there are 36 states plus the FCT in Nigeria, and there are people living there, they won't cripple the Igbo man's business. Many Nigerians don't beleive in processed food, don't let the few Joneses that troop to such stores fool ya, that's just 2% of over 150 million. Do they also trade in clothes? And for how much? And books? Past questions, literature texts? Wetin concern the average Nigerian with quality? If it's affordable and serves it's purpose, you buy it. No be the same china Walmart go dey sell? Just better packaging. Besides, you think people would skip the thrill of out-bargining one 'Emeka' in Yaba market for something of fixed price? Booorrring. How cheap can they make their goods before they close market? Bear in mind, this isn't Asia or Europe et al, this is Africa, Naija for that matter, na for here Walmart go jam the one wey pass dem, diesel no cheap, light no dey, they'll lose more. Abegi, make dem park well jare, business boku for Naija for everybody, even Walmart.

5 Likes

Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by rhymz(m): 4:43am On Jul 04, 2012
Hmmmm. . . Truth be told, Walmart may kill local businesses if left to operate with a free hand, especially leaving them to import everything they sell.
However, there are areas of our marketing and retailing system that will still evade them. An average Nigerian buying culture is extremely retailed. For instance, Walmart no go sell 3cubes of sugar, one lipton bag, 1 satchet of cowbel milk, maggi 10 naira, OKrika jeans, shirt, singlet, shoes, slippers etc. Besides, it is will be foolhardy for walmart to open shop in rural areas to compete, unless they will be fronting a local partner with business ideology similar to local competitors, that is most unlikely to happen. However, Walmart might edge out igbo business men in the urban areas where the big bucks is. . This is where they will have to pull in their numeric strength to survive, form impenetrable unions, form a financing aliance and buy in bulk just to compete. I doubt walmart wont feel the pinch of the high cost of maintenance and running cost-from electricity, diesel, fuel, security and et al. .

2 Likes

Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by saintneo(m): 5:44am On Jul 04, 2012
[size=28pt]Let's look at the emergence of the super store from a better perspective.[/size]
Evolution is a human trait. Human adaptation is very powerful. It is said the the illiterates of the past are those that could not read nor write; however, the illiterates of tomorrow will be those that refuse to adapt to the new situations.
Ngi Igbo are very flexible people, the recovery from the losses during the war is a perfect example. If SuperMarkets take over Nigerian market, I believe the Igbos will own some of these SuperMarkets. Only the people who are not ready will be fazed out of business.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:48am On Jul 04, 2012
Self-consolation.

Wal*Mart lol.

People will want to feel sophisticated, shopping at an "American-Owned" store. And it'll be cooler, more organized and more comfy.
Re: Will Walmart's Coming End Igbo Business In Nigeria? by brabus(m): 6:09am On Jul 04, 2012
[size=18]Walmart[/size] vs [size=18]Igbo business model[/size]

It would seem to many Nigerians that Walmart business model will benefit the country because of the amount of people they can employ and cheaper bargain. However, the disadvantages are many more when local businesses around begin to lose it.

But the question is, Can Walmart succeed in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Key Ways To Get More Customers For Your Business / How Do You Deal With Customers Who Wants To Buy On Credit ? / 3 Reasons You Need To Start A Cashew Business(with pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.