Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard (17366 Views)

Inside G-5 Governors’ Deal With Tinubu - Vanguard / Oba Of Oniru Standing Behind Tinubu As ADC In 2007 (Picture) / Adams Oshiomhole, One Of “The Three Musketeers” Behind Tinubu's Campaign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by jbow: 6:54am On Mar 17, 2022
SHORTLY after Bola Tinubu, former Lagos State governor, told President Muhammadu Buhari about his presidential ambition on January 10, he embarked on barnstorming visits to the palaces of Yoruba Obas.

His aim? To secure their blessings and endorsements for his ambition to become Nigeria’s president in 2023. The royal fathers unreservedly blessed Tinubu’s ambition and showered him with gushing endorsements.

The Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, told Tinubu that Yoruba ancestors “will make you president”. The Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Ogunwusi, invoked the spirits of his forefathers to “lead the battle and guarantee the success of the (Tinubu presidency) project”. The new Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Lekan Salami, said: “Tinubu should be assured that the people of Ibadan are fully behind him.” The list of royal endorsements goes on.

Surely, the logical conclusion is that no other presidential aspirant, from whatever party, will receive the support of the leading traditional rulers in Yorubaland. After all, the Obas wouldn’t ask their ancestors to support two presidential aspirants simultaneously, or would they?

So, except out of courtesy and respect for the traditional institution, it’s pointless for any other presidential aspirant to visit the leading Yoruba traditional rulers. Put simply, the Obas have settled for Tinubu.

The Alaafin of Oyo gave the ancestral order. “All the ancestors in Yorubaland, get up and assist your son,” he said concerning Tinubu’s ambition! But here’s the rub. While, as fathers to all, traditional rulers should receive and pray for all presidential aspirants who come to them, it’s beyond the pale to endorse one aspirant openly and fulsomely as Nigeria’s next president. Truth is, like oil and water, partisan politics and the traditional institution don’t mix. Nothing undermines, indeed damages, the traditional institution more than when it’s politicised and hijacked by politicians.

So, why would Tinubu drag Yoruba Obas into such barefaced partisanship? Self-interest, of course! At the palace of the Ooni of Ife, Tinubu said: “It is our belief that once Ooni, Orangun, Awujale, Alake, Owa, among others, speak, it (the presidency) becomes ours.”

But before the presidency, Tinubu must first secure his party’s presidential ticket, and corralling Yoruba Obas behind his ambition, so early, is aimed at his party’s presidential primaries. He wants to signal to his party and his potential rivals in South-West APC that the South-West is solidly behind him, that he has the support of most Yoruba Obas all sewn up.

Here goes the reasoning: APC must give him itspresidential ticket or lose the South-West in 2023; and his rivals must not run against him, or they will lose badly. Yet, both tactics won’t work because APC and Tinubu’s Yoruba rivals in the party won’t succumb to such blackmail. But the tactics fit into an overarching strategy. Ignore the Olympian hyperbole about Tinubu’s abilities, his strategy for becoming president in 2023 is mainly based on a strong sense of entitlement and an opportunistic ethnic championship.

The first theory was propounded at the Ooni of Ife’s palace when Tinubu said that he helped make Buhari president in 2015 and 2019, so Buhari is obligated to help him become president in 2023. The second was proffered at the Alaafin of Oyo’s palace when Tinubu listed the positions occupied by Yorubas in the current government, including vice-president, and then said: “But we still need more”.Thus, he presents his ambition as an ethnic agenda for Yoruba presidency, an utter insensitivity to the Igbo, who have better claims.

To be sure, Tinubu can’t win in the South-East and the South-South and doesn’t pretend he wants to run a pan-Nigeria campaign. His entire strategy is based on replicating the sectional North/South-West alliance that produced victories for APC in 2015 and 2019.

Recently, Tanko Yakasai, a chieftain of Arewa Consultative Forum and Tinubu ally, set out the”winning” formula. In one interview, he said: “With the South-West, all Tinubu needs is for him to get about 45 to 50 per cent of the Northern votes to win the presidency”. Presumably working on the Yakasai formula, Adeseye Ogunlewe, former minister and Tinubu acolyte, said on Arise TV that Tinubu’s support was solid on the ground in the South-West, but Yoruba Obas should go to the North and “sell Tinubu to Northern emirs.”

Which raises the question why Yoruba traditional rulers are willing tool in the Tinubu game. Even if they support his ambition, why can’t they wait until the APC presidential primary process plays itself out? By publicly endorsing Tinubu before his party’s presidential primaries, they are interfering in the internal democracy of a political party. Why?

Recently, an Osun State APC senator said: “The only presidential aspirant known to the political family of the APC in the South-West is Tinubu.” That makes South-West APC a medieval party consisting of a feudal lord and serfs. But do the Obas believe the senator?

Or do they agree with those attempting to intimidate Vice President Yemi Osinbajo out of running for president by mouthing the utter baloney that because Tinubu nominated him as Buhari’s running mate in 2015, Osinbajo would be morally wrong to run against Tinubu. I addressed this issue in a previous column, so won’t rehash the arguments here.

But truth be told: Yoruba Obas have shown utter disregard for Professor Osinbajo. As vice president, he’s the highest-ranking Yoruba holding public office today, and respected worldwide for his intellect, competence and integrity. As an active vice president,Osinbajo has a job to do and can’t prematurely declare a presidential ambition and make high-profile political visits to palaces. But it’s inconceivable that he wouldn’t want to run for president.

This week, Daily Trust reported that Osinbajo has told Buhari he wants to run for president and may soon publicly declare his ambition. Having asked their ancestors to make Tinubu president,what would Yoruba Obas say about Osinbajo? Little. Well, they’re wrong. Osinbajo should seek the endorsement of the God of gods and the King of kings!
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/03/2023-yoruba-obas-are-wrong-to-unite-too-hastily-behind-tinubu/

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by wengerjay(m): 6:55am On Mar 17, 2022
They have done nothing wrong.
The palaces of the kings are open to their subjects or whoever want to aspire for any political post.
He only consulted them and sought for their blessings and support.
Any other aspirant can do that irrespective of where he or she comes from.

118 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by helinues: 6:56am On Mar 17, 2022
From special PA's of all Yoruba Obas.

Anyways, we are yet to put Lagos-Ibadan express way media into action

grin

14 Likes

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by PrinceOfLagos: 6:56am On Mar 17, 2022
Tinubu juju don dey clear for Dem eyes

We will be here to read about Tinubu disgrace grin

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by connection77: 6:57am On Mar 17, 2022
OK ooo
Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by hopeforcharles(m): 6:57am On Mar 17, 2022
Sincerely speaking when will we learn, doesn't it means that there is not younger healthy Adults who should campaign? Why must we want to recycle ♻️ old rulers �? I would suggest he goes and rest ,Nigeria is to vast for his feeble body.

27 Likes

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by Hector09(m): 6:57am On Mar 17, 2022
Rubber stamp oba's....naso them bless bubu

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by PrinceOfLagos: 6:58am On Mar 17, 2022
helinues:
From special PA's of all Yoruba Obas.

Anyways, we are yet to put Lagos-Ibadan express way media into action

grin
Read what you wrote again and ask yourself if E make sense

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 7:00am On Mar 17, 2022
Doesn't matter.... They support what they believed on.... You don't expect them to take years to come into terms with the fact that Tinubu has done alot and they've seen and attest to his capabilities....

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by helinues: 7:01am On Mar 17, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Read what you wrote again and ask yourself if E make sense

Guy, I do no think you are a toddler, at least you must have grown..

How do you expect me in particular to be repeating same thing over and over again.. Can't you make your independent contribution and Waka like other NL'S?

Must you argue all the time? Must you attack others always?

Even when the likes of Hope for Nigeria, Late scan news owner, Maiyegun, Bunmi, Obafemi all those people are the earlier political commenters on Nigeria social media, even for the fact that they are in opposition, we are all friends.

Politics no be fight, politics no be gree die most especially as we are only a spectator not the real players.

I do not think anything would happen to you if you always overlook my comments and Waka, or would something happen.

I can't continue repeating myself to you to stop mentioning me, yet proving no point.

You have used 3 different monikers just to attack me just this morning, say wetin happen.

Respect is reciprocal, for once respect yourself and stop mentioning me upadan

PrinceOfLagos swaggerjack ityP

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by PrinceOfLagos: 7:01am On Mar 17, 2022
yanabasee:
Doesn't matter.... They support what they believed on.... You don't expect them to take years to come into terms with the fact that Tinubu has done alot and they've seen and attest to his capabilities....
Are you sure they didn't support him because of bullion van

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 7:02am On Mar 17, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

They supported him knowing that, a man who is wealthy can make everyone wealthy ...

35 Likes

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by PrinceOfLagos: 7:03am On Mar 17, 2022
helinues:

How do you expect me in particular to be repeating same thing over and over again.. Can't you make your independent contribution and Waka like other NL'S?

But it's ok when you quote me sometime to spew what's not right ?

Guy, this is a public forum and not your room where you can just say anything and no one will notice and correct you

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by PrinceOfLagos: 7:03am On Mar 17, 2022
yanabasee:

They supported him knowing that, a man who is wealthy can make everyone wealthy ...

Tell that to the birds

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by Difrent: 7:07am On Mar 17, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Are you not supporting whoever you support because of dollars?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by PrinceOfLagos: 7:08am On Mar 17, 2022
Difrent:

Are you not supporting whoever you support because of dollars?
I support men of integrity

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by Nonpartisan1: 7:09am On Mar 17, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
Tinubu juju don dey clear for Dem eyes

We will be here to read about Tinubu disgrace grin

Did you even care to read the article before pouring spits everywhere? All these ipob yoots are really dull.

109 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by helinues: 7:11am On Mar 17, 2022
Nonpartisan1:

Did you even care to read the article before pouring spits everywhere? All these ipob yoots are really dull.

Read, it's not that the guy is a Yoruba, not that he supports Apc, not that he is a fan of Tinubu yet this guy won't let us rest on any threads related to the listed above.

How can one be so obsessed with others with such hatred. Imagine this guy creating a moniker skullminersw.. Just imagine how heavy his heart is.

Imagine a serial liar on this forum talking about integrity..

Na so the notorious NL canceller also dey talk about posterity.

I have been wondering if English syllabus across Nigeria regions are different, cos those people always say the opposite of their actions

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by Difrent: 7:11am On Mar 17, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin >:

Like who and who?......mention a name and see how we expose the skeletons in his cupboard that you are not aware of

Men of integrity that are spending the dollars they looted while in government.

8 Likes

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by QuotaSystem: 7:14am On Mar 17, 2022
It’s not just the SW traditional rulers...even the Sultanate and other traditional & political institutions up North are ready to deliver Jagaban.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 7:14am On Mar 17, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Tell that to the birds

Can you compare the people Tinubu had brought into limelight and exposed into national politics and what every other politicians have done?

12 Likes

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by juman(m): 7:14am On Mar 17, 2022
Tinubu is working for their region.
He is out there doing selfless campaigning for his party.

You and I can also seek for those traditional rulers support.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by Entprys(m): 7:16am On Mar 17, 2022
It is jagaban or una go see film. Baba no dey talk too much.
Osinbajo keh ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by Trustedhands: 7:17am On Mar 17, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Men of integrity indeed. You support your stomach only.

5 Likes

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by PrinceOfLagos: 7:17am On Mar 17, 2022
yanabasee:

Can you compare the people Tinubu had brought into limelight and exposed into national politics and what every other politicians have done?
Yeah like Sanwo Olu on the agreement that 10% of Lagos revenue will go to him ...

What it not one of the conditions that caused Tinubu rift with fashola when fashola was governor ?

Tinubu is a highly corrupt man . He's lucky that Nigeria supports corruption if not, he would be chilling in prison by now ..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by PrinceOfLagos: 7:19am On Mar 17, 2022
Entprys:
It is jagaban or una go see film.
Baba no dey talk too much.

Osinbajo keh ?

Lol

Jagaban wey small Buni dey slay like baby politician

Why is your jagaban running over the place begging people for support, I thought he called himself a king maker grin

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by PrinceOfLagos: 7:19am On Mar 17, 2022
Trustedhands:
Men of integrity indeed. You support your stomach only.
Everyone is not below the food chain like some other people

4 Likes

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by Entprys(m): 7:22am On Mar 17, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Lol

Jagaban wey small Buni dey slay like baby politician

Why is your jagaban running over the place begging people for support, I thought he called himself a king maker grin
E go do you vam for eye

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 17, 2022
hopeforcharles:
Sincerely speaking when will we learn, doesn't it means that there is not younger healthy Adults who should campaign? Why must we want to recycle ♻️ old rulers �? I would suggest he goes and rest ,Nigeria is to vast for his feeble body.

Make yourself available na. Why must it be another youth? Why not you?

109 Likes

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by ityP(m): 7:23am On Mar 17, 2022
helinues:

Even when the likes of Hope for Nigeria, Late scan news owner, Maiyegun, Bunmi, Obafemi all those people are the earlier political commenters on Nigeria social media, even for the fact that they are in opposition, we are all friends.

Politics no be fight, politics no be gree die most especially as we are only a spectator not the real players.

I do not think anything would happen to you if you always overlook my comments and Waka, or would something happen.

I can't continue repeating myself to you to stop mentioning me, yet proving no point.

You have used 3 different monikers just to attack me just this morning, say wetin happen.

Respect is reciprocal, for once respect yourself and stop mentioning me upadan

PrinceOfLagos swaggerjack ityP

You dey vex say person dey quote you, but you sef come quote me for thread wey I get absolutely nothing to do with. Thats the problem I have with Tinubu's urchins. Una hypocrisy dey too loud. May God help you people

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Yoruba Obas Are Wrong To Unite Too Hastily Behind Tinubu - Vanguard by IamPatriotic(m): 7:23am On Mar 17, 2022
The wailing of an anonymous Redeemed Church pastor. Asiwaju isn't stopping Osibanjo from contesting, he should declare and see how weightless he is.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Igbinedion Donates 8M To Chief Judge's Book Launch After Son's Sentencing / Obasanjo Commissions Memorial Library In Oyo State (photos) / APC Targets North-west, South-west For Bulk Votes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.