Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,197 members, 7,829,287 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana (23027 Views)

Jonathan Defends Buhari, Backs Removal Of Section 84 Of Electoral Act / Deletion Of Section 84(12): Malami Effects Judgement In Line With The Law / Court Orders AGF To Remove Section 84(12) From Electoral Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by Agbegbaorogboye: 1:55pm On Mar 20, 2022
fergie001:

I know the NASS won't push it but political parties can.

Which political party will be interested in that clause? APC? PDP? Because if a political party is not in govt at any level, I don't think it will have a locus as it will constitute chooking mouth in another party's matter which is clearly detested.

APC? Forget. Buni and co will not.

PDP? Taaah. It makes no difference for them.

The law has reached the end of its life bros.

Even NASS will not appeal it
Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by fergie001: 1:58pm On Mar 20, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

Which political party will be interested in that clause? APC? PDP? Because if a political party is not in govt at any level, I don't think it will have a locus as it will constitute chooking mouth in another party's matter which is clearly detested.

APC? Forget. Buni and co will not.

PDP? Taaah. It makes no difference for them.

The law has reached the end of its life bros.

Even NASS will not appeal it
It affects political parties because even Commissioners and SSAs at States levels are also involved.

Abia State Govt was yesterday backing the AGF, that is to tell you that the Govs are in agreement. Hence, nobody will say a word.
Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by josite: 2:04pm On Mar 20, 2022
So political appointees paid from government coffers are not employed in the public service.continue falana
Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by Agbegbaorogboye: 2:04pm On Mar 20, 2022
fergie001:

It affects political parties because even Commissioners and SSAs at States levels are also involved.

Abia State Govt was yesterday backing the AGF, that is to tell you that the Govs are in agreement. Hence, nobody will say a word.

Toh. You see am.

That strategy was poorly thought of

1 Like

Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by fergie001: 2:40pm On Mar 20, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

Toh. You see am.

That strategy was poorly thought of
It wasn't.......it was a legislator v Governors/Ministers/Commissioners stuffs.

To win Primaries, the Govs appoint a lot of aides who are automatic delegates. Some of the NASS members want to vie for Gov or return to the NASS, so with a large retinue of Governor's aides absent, they can have an advantage.

That was their game.....Naturally Govs don't like to hand over to Abuja people but people in-house.
Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by Agbegbaorogboye: 2:55pm On Mar 20, 2022
fergie001:

It wasn't.......it was a legislator v Governors/Ministers/Commissioners stuffs.

To win Primaries, the Govs appoint a lot of aides who are automatic delegates. Some of the NASS members want to vie for Gov or return to the NASS, so with a large retinue of Governor's aides absent, they can have an advantage.

That was their game.....Naturally Govs don't like to hand over to Abuja people but people in-house.

Hmmm. I get that. But the fact is that you can hardly legislate that problem away. What the NASS needs to do in my honest opinion is to ensure party supremacy is entrenched in our democratic system. For example, if you have a situation whereby the state chairmen are not subservient to the Govs who automatically become party leaders in their states, they will have a better chance at elections.

See, even if you do direct primaries or you prevent appointees from being delegates, as long as state party chairs remain subservient to the govs, the party primaries will always be a piece of cake to the govs.

That's why I said the strategy is poorly thought of

Also add to it the issue of looking to prevent the Amaechis and Malamis from being able to hold office while they run for another. It's not even the govs that quashed the law
Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by aribisala0(m): 3:06pm On Mar 20, 2022
josite:
So political appointees paid from government coffers are not employed in the public service.continue falana
Do you understand English
Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by fergie001: 3:28pm On Mar 20, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:
Hmmm. I get that. But the fact is that you can hardly legislate that problem away. What the NASS needs to do in my honest opinion is to ensure party supremacy is entrenched in our democratic system. For example, if you have a situation whereby the state chairmen are not subservient to the Govs who automatically become party leaders in their states, they will have a better chance at elections.
You cannot do anything about this one.
He that pays the piper dictates the tune. So I make you a Party Chair with huge sums of money then you enter there and begin to sing do re mi, it is not possible.

Party Supremacy can work a bit, just a bit at National Level but you see States, Wards, LGAs?
Leave am......it is inside the Governor's pocket.

See, even if you do direct primaries or you prevent appointees from being delegates, as long as state party chairs remain subservient to the govs, the party primaries will always be a piece of cake to the govs.
But it still will be difficult....Very Very

Do you know how many political appointees a Gov or President can make? No limit.....So the Govs are happy with Malami's move. They will all make noise outside but inside them, they are pleased with Malami.

That's why I said the strategy is poorly thought of

Also add to it the issue of looking to prevent the Amaechis and Malamis from being able to hold office while they run for another. It's not even the Govs that quashed the law
They didn't directly but I am sure many of them advised towards it.

Why will the Abia State Govt openly back the move yesterday. Let's see how the appeal, if any will go.

Pencil that Judge's name...She is from Imo, No 35 on the FHC list with 5 more years to go. Something hooge will greet her soon.
Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by Agbegbaorogboye: 4:09pm On Mar 20, 2022
fergie001:

You cannot do anything about this one.
He that pays the piper dictates the tune. So I make you a Party Chair with huge sums of money then you enter there and begin to sing do re mi, it is not possible.

Party Supremacy can work a bit, just a bit at National Level but you see States, Wards, LGAs?
Leave am......it is inside the Governor's pocket.

But it still will be difficult....Very Very

Do you know how many political appointees a Gov or President can make? No limit.....So the Govs are happy with Malami's move. They will all make noise outside but inside them, they are pleased with Malami.

They didn't directly but I am sure many of them advised towards it.

Why will the Abia State Govt openly back the move yesterday. Let's see how the appeal, if any will go.

Pencil that Judge's name...She is from Imo, No 35 on the FHC list with 5 more years to go. Something hooge will greet her soon

This one choke sha

The problem is the funding model employed by the parties

Look at most of those shouting APC PDP online, none of them has ever contributed a dime to their party.

The funding is thru the govs. If the party is self-funded and financially independent from the govs, the possibility of party supremacy becomes real

No one can put a limit on the number of appointees of a govt. It's like putting a limit on govt itself. However, if the party is removed from the apron strings of the govt, the congresses and conventions can be less of a charade orchestrated
Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by fergie001: 4:13pm On Mar 20, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

This one choke sha

The problem is the funding model employed by the parties

Look at most of those shouting APC PDP online, none of them has ever contributed a dime to their party.

The funding is thru the govs. If the party is self-funded and financially independent from the govs, the possibility of party supremacy becomes real

No one can put a limit on the number of appointees of a govt. It's like putting a limit on govt itself. However, if the party is removed from the apron strings of the govt, the congresses and conventions can be less of a charade orchestrated
The bolded is a Word On The Marble.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Act: Deletion Of Section 84 (12) ‘A Great Error’ - Falana by poiZon: 6:18pm On Mar 20, 2022
DUNDEEMASTER:
Since I was born...
I have Neva seen a dull AGF like da Malami undecided angry angry

Such a looser

Tufiakwa
Is it now u know malami is dull?
When he compared herdsmen activities to spartparts dealers, u all kept quiet because na igbos he was attacking then.

Useless things...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Has Brought Us Shame: Ayu Spoke Out Of The Abundance Of His Heart, Wike Mock / Buhari Appoints Tolu Ogunlesi As His SA On Digital/New Media / Buhari Receives Angela Merkel, German Chancellor (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.