Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,627 members, 7,827,342 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying (22958 Views)

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice / Bento Africa Suspends CEO Ebunoluwa Okunbanjo After ‘Toxic Workplace’ Report / Lady Sacked On Her First Day Of Work After Asking Her Boss This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 22, 2022
Reading this article brought back sad memories of my previous job.I experienced way worse things than this. My mental health was at stake, I had to resign.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by DeLaRue: 12:40pm On Mar 22, 2022
A friend called earlier today saying 'it's happening again'.

Apparently, she's been given a query for not bringing enough customer deposit to the bank she works for.

2 weeks ago, in a staff meeting, her female bank manager told her ' you're beautiful with a nice body, but you don't know what you are doing'. She claimed my friend was not useful to the bank.

In other words, use your body to bring in deposits. Yet, she's aware that my friend is married. Not that her behaviour would be justified if my friend was single.

Prior to this episode, the lady bank manager would give my friend phone numbers of politicians & wealthy people to 'call' for deposit, with virtually all of them propositioning my friend. And then the manager would blank my friend for several days once she received feedback from the men that my friend did not 'cooperate'.

The bullying that some employees, especially female bank employees go through is incredible.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by BOONDOCKS: 12:45pm On Mar 22, 2022
Gaddafi1:
So long a letter.

About 70 percent of bullies are male, and about 30 percent are female.
Both male and female bullies are more likely to target women.
Sixty-one percent of bullying comes from bosses or supervisors. Thirty-three percent comes from co-workers. The remaining 6 percent occurs when people at lower employment levels bully their supervisors or others above them.

INFORMATION IS POWER

How did you come about this conclusion? what's the sample size of your research? which methodology was used?
Or better still, credit the source. So we can review

1 Like

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by qtguru(m): 12:45pm On Mar 22, 2022
I've had my share of toxic workforce mostly in Nigeria. One used to throw the F word at me and also worked for a silly bi.tch who made me resign from the gig, I paid their money back o. having multiple gigs allows you avoid being trapped in such job.

I pity people stuck in places like that. Like I had to be drinking after time I got home, to destress

4 Likes

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by qtguru(m): 12:45pm On Mar 22, 2022
BOONDOCKS:

How did you come about this conclusion? what's the sample size of your research? which methodology was used?
Or better still, credit the source. So we can review

I agree, most of the bullies are male.

1 Like

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by Ishilove: 12:49pm On Mar 22, 2022
What a story!!
Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by We4all: 12:56pm On Mar 22, 2022
I opened this thread just to glance at a picture of the Ebun guy. I was disappointed.

1 Like

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by We4all: 12:57pm On Mar 22, 2022
DeLaRue:
A friend called earlier today saying 'it's happening again'.

Apparently, she's been given a query for not bringing enough customer deposit to the bank she works for.

2 weeks ago, in a staff meeting, her female bank manager told her ' you're beautiful with a nice body, but you don't know what you are doing'. She claimed my friend was not useful to the bank.

In other words, use your body to bring in deposits. Yet, she's aware that my friend is married. Not that her behaviour would be justified if my friend was single.

Prior to this episode, the lady bank manager would give my friend phone numbers of politicians & wealthy people to 'call' for deposit, with virtually all of them propositioning my friend. And then the manager blanks my friend for several days because she did not 'cooperate' with the men.

The bullying that some employees, especially female bank employees go through is incredible.

Why is your married friend working in a bank knowing full well what it entails to catch clients?

1 Like

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by Difrent: 1:00pm On Mar 22, 2022
GloriousGbola:
When will we get our expose on Seun osewa though?

Moderator was forced to post a snake thread to FP everyday

Ssssshhhhhh

I was begining to enjoy not seeing snake thread on front page....

Dont piss off uncle Lala oooo
Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by ArchyDesmond(m): 1:01pm On Mar 22, 2022
N
deepwater:
lol

Nairaland is so slow.....................
after a news must have trend and vanishes
only then would it make a front page new here

NAIRALAND is just like NTA

BIG FOR NOTHING

Naira Land is a FORUM..... the members are the content creator. Unlike other social media app... This is where people discuss about a particular topic on real life issue or online discourse on other media platform. If you had brought the topic up here earlier.... Nairaland wouldn't have been "slow"

5 Likes

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by Heroicvic(m): 1:03pm On Mar 22, 2022
GeneralDae:

Exactly. Freelancing is good if you know you have stable clients though. For example, freelancing with agencies as middle men where you are sure the Agencies would always have clients for you.

do you even know what freelancing means?
Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by Teeroyzimma: 1:04pm On Mar 22, 2022
deepwater:
lol

Nairaland is so slow.....................
after a news must have trend and vanishes
only then would it make a front page new here

NAIRALAND is just like NTA

BIG FOR NOTHING
I know say na boyfriend and girlfriend matter you want for frontpage, fool.
Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by pinkygurl(f): 1:05pm On Mar 22, 2022
and pipu wee stilll rush there to look for Bento work undecided .Economy bad grin
Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by LikeAking: 1:06pm On Mar 22, 2022
WIZGUY69:
Bro. I stopped reading after 3 paragraphs. Access bank de give me headaches.

At least u have a job.

Life is all about sacrifice.

Enjoy!

Men dey wey no even get any bearing for dia life.

No job,
No future
No CV
No love
No hope
Notin!, Notin!

Once agian mange ur job.

Good luck

2 Likes

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by DeLaRue: 1:06pm On Mar 22, 2022
We4all:

Why is your married friend working in a bank knowing full well what it entails to catch clients?

So married women should give up their right to work because of toxic fellow employees.

If they give up banking, should they also give up nursing, civil service, and in fact all trades and professions in order to satisfy insane bullies.

Even little girls hawking stuff on the road are subjected to sexual bullying and harrassment.

Women want to work and will insist on their right to do so in an atmosphere of respect without toxic people making their lives hell.

4 Likes

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by LordReed(m): 1:08pm On Mar 22, 2022
GamalNasser I thought you said this guy is cool and calm. Doesn't sound like it at all.
Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by Goke7: 1:10pm On Mar 22, 2022
Nasri100:

Ebun is this you? grin

He is only acting this way cause he knows Nigerians will do whatever to keep a job.

Let him come to the UK or U.S and try this sissy bully games with his team and watch the end result.

I feel so sorry for some of you in this country. Imagine the inhumane treatment of people that work day and night for you and someone is calling it cheap black mail.

Chai

the western world is no better, it's the large number of options and opportunities that one can easily move on to that makes it kind of better as you can easily move to a better place to work. The little amount of job opportunities for Nigerians is the major problem. Here in the west employers and agencies chases us like mad so you have options

2 Likes

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by humberjade: 1:12pm On Mar 22, 2022
Even without interacting with him, his face alone looks scary...even with the tie, I will feel jumpy seeing him behind me in a quiet park

2 Likes

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by lolu2019: 1:22pm On Mar 22, 2022
Gaddafi1:
So long a letter.

About 70 percent of bullies are male, and about 30 percent are female.
Both male and female bullies are more likely to target women.
Sixty-one percent of bullying comes from bosses or supervisors. Thirty-three percent comes from co-workers. The remaining 6 percent occurs when people at lower employment levels bully their supervisors or others above them.

INFORMATION IS POWER
one of the reasons y I ventured into self reliance.I may be a gambler,at least it is better than someone treating me like a social leper.Bleep deir jobs.

3 Likes

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by babajero(m): 1:24pm On Mar 22, 2022
He may be strict but also a straight forward person, because I didn't read any girl accusing him of sexual molestation or sexual bullying, which they wouldn't have waited a second to mention if that was the case. All still boils down to negligence of government because if there was enough jobs on circulation nobody will have to endure such, and there will be government monitoring team to prevent that.

1 Like

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by GeneralDae: 1:27pm On Mar 22, 2022
Heroicvic:

do you even know what freelancing means?
What does it mean?
Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 22, 2022
We4all:

Do you mean all female bankers sleep with men to get cleints?

I so hate this world.
Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by justjify(m): 1:31pm On Mar 22, 2022
Are you guys talking about me? angry

4 Likes

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by RIDOO: 1:32pm On Mar 22, 2022
ThierryJay:

No it isn't. It's high time toxic companies are called out for their terrible working environment. That you are employed by someone doesnt make you a slave of that person. Heck even slaves dont deserve such level of verbal abuse credited to the sick machiavellian guy up there.

Yes, it's high time toxic companies are called out in each state.At least this is not a Lebanese company, this is not South Africa n co.Must we begin the slave trade that was supposed to end since the time of our forefathers?No! The fact that you have the grace to own a company n you employ people..does that put the life of those people in ur hands? Is the boss the owner of his own life?The pure truth is that no body owns anything.it's just the privilege of God that everyone is enjoying...That is one.

I've been a victim of a very abusive boss.(a woman)She frustrated me verbally, spiritually, emotionally (l can't imagine a work place becoming where your BP will be moving higher) and when she want to start physical l resigned.Of course she is not God.Although sometimes when you have families to cater for n you 've not seen another job.. it's not easy to leave butl tell you nothing dey happen it will only make you a better person.Na just small garri before you find your levels again.
But trust me your brain by this time will be wide open n you will have the strength of an horse with prayers you would move on fine.No let one naughty boss use words destroy my destiny.
All the Waka Waka up n down ,working round the clock how much, plus abuse self how much be the pay? Something l did for over ten yrs nothing to show for it.
By the grace of God ...l dey on my own within a year all those things wey l don dey hype since wey l no smell ,l was able to accomplish within a year.Yes within a year.Honestly l bursted into cry l can't lmagine my self holding on, been scared for too long to try my very own n it worked out well..... That cry l cried was a cry of Joy.
But,l made a promise to my maker not to maltreat any of my staff or who does business with us...See now o they don't know what the two eyes of their boss have seen o.

5 Likes

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by BRATISLAVA: 1:36pm On Mar 22, 2022
ThierryJay:

I remember him now.

Seems he's going to ruin himself. Pity anyone in a relationship with him.
Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by Heroicvic(m): 1:41pm On Mar 22, 2022
GeneralDae:

What does it mean?

Google
Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by ThierryJay: 1:50pm On Mar 22, 2022
RIDOO:

Yes, it's high time toxic companies are called out in each state.At least this is not a Lebanese company, this is not South Africa n co.Must we begin the slave trade that was supposed to end since the time of our forefathers?No! The fact that you have the grace to own a company n you employ people..does that put the life of those people in ur hands? Is the boss the owner of his own life?The pure truth is that no body owns anything.it's just the privilege of God that everyone is enjoying...That is one.

I've been a victim of a very abusive boss.(a woman)She frustrated me verbally, spiritually, emotionally (l can't imagine a work place becoming where your BP will be moving higher) and when she want to start physical l resigned.Of course she is not God.Although sometimes when you have families to cater for n you 've not seen another job.. it's not easy to leave butl tell you nothing dey happen it will only make you a better person.Na just small garri before you find your levels again.
But trust me your brain by this time will be wide open n you will have the strength of an horse with prayers you would move on fine.No let one naughty boss use words destroy my destiny.
All the Waka Waka up n down ,working round the clock how much, plus abuse self how much be the pay? Something l did for over ten yrs nothing to show for it.
By the grace of God ...l dey on my own within a year all those things wey l don dey hype since wey l no smell ,l was able to accomplish within a year.Yes within a year.Honestly l bursted into cry l can't lmagine my self holding on, been scared for too long to try my very own n it worked out well..... That cry l cried was a cry of Joy.
But,l made a promise to my maker not to maltreat any of my staff or who does business with us...See now o they don't know what the two eyes of their boss have seen o.

Happy for you bro. The mental scar from such experiences can go really deep.

The fear of the unknown is what makes most employees stick around in a toxic set up. But once you can break that mental barrier, things typically turn out much better than initially feared.

Horrible bosses are every much around us as rich uncles, aunts, and you find them at the forefront of the most religious setting.

3 Likes

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by ThierryJay: 2:00pm On Mar 22, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Seems he's going to ruin himself. Pity anyone in a relationship with him.

It will surprise you that that guy will have a bevy of beautiful ladies at his beck and call.

And I doubt he will get ruined. The cancel solidarity culture isn't so rife here. Maybe a few multinational clients might raise some reputational concerns but all he has to tell them is that he's already taking steps to resolve the "internal issues" and improve public perception. He's unlikely to lose many clients especially if his firm delivers top-notch services.

But calling him out is a step in the right direction and is likely to make him check his utterances.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by Goke7: 2:06pm On Mar 22, 2022
ThierryJay:

It will surprise you that that guy will have a bevy of beautiful ladies at his beck and call.

And I doubt he will get ruined. The cancel solidarity culture isn't so rife here. Maybe a few multinational clients might raise some reputational concerns but all he has to tell them is that he's already taking steps to resolve the "internal issues" and improve public perception. He's unlikely to lose many clients especially if his firm delivers top-notch services.

You are very right, he will surely get away with this, especially in a country where we worship money and metrics.

But in the long run, it will tell on him and his business, the reason a lot of Nigerian startups don't last and can never last. Or He will sell up the start-up to an organisation that has a better work culture or a terrible one which will eventually be their demise. This has always been the case over time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying by GeneralDae: 2:06pm On Mar 22, 2022
Heroicvic:

Google
I have, but I'm asking you. What is Freelancing to you and why the initial question?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Employer Is Threatening To Sack Me Because I Am Pregnant / Nigerian Man Turns Down A 200k Job, Because He Loves His Job Of 50k / Newly Promoted 78 Senior Officer Of The Nigerian Navy (see Names)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.