Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,300 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas (36738 Views)

EU Agrees To Pay For Russian Gas In Rubles Without Breaching Sanctions / Poland Refuses To Pay For Russian Gas In Rubles / Macron: Putin Wants All Of Ukraine And Worse Is To Come (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by chronique(m): 5:39pm On Mar 23, 2022
benardtotti:

This is long term and can't save them short term , if it was a short term solution they would have boycotted Russian gas when they began giving out sanctions, oil and gas industry is not an immediate venture that can be done within 24 hours between 2 countries so for now Germany and Co need to humble themselves and negotiate with Putin .
If Putin was actually wicked all he needs to do is turn of gas supply to Europe for just 24 hours I can assure you Europe will boil over with protests and death.

See, you people should stop arguing with most of these folks on Nairaland. Let them keep exhibiting their ignorance.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by femmy2010(m): 5:40pm On Mar 23, 2022
mployer:
He is not the sole supplier of gas.

He supplies about 39% of the needs of Europe.
They cant do without its energy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by abuwidad(m): 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2022
Elsueno:

But what products of the West are u talking about? .....what exactly those the U.S produce that Russia can't survive without...The main reason d dollar stands as currency is because everybody uses it for trade....Now if a few countries use d rubbles & Yaun doesn't & others accept it for trade( not talking about US & it's vassals)..That would obviously diminish d value of $,
Again, d main reason why everybody uses $$ is due to trust, How many countries have the US & vassals have frozen thier money due to their so called "sanctions"....The thing is, US should have never tampered with d SWIFT thing..it sends d wrong message...Let d dollar have competition whether Rubble/Yaun & our own African currency( I know dis one is impossible, but u I can dream right grin)

Good talk!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by frowland(m): 5:42pm On Mar 23, 2022
gambojimeta:

I don't care. You live in Belarus while claiming UK.

If you hate the West so much, yet you claim to live there, why don't you move to Russia or better still China ? Hypocrisy much?

Good riddance grin

Where in my post did I mention hating the west? You are more deluded than I thought. Reason I doubt if you really are a professional or most likely a driver/cook/gate man to the real professional you are impersonating online.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by Enugurangers: 5:42pm On Mar 23, 2022
gambojimeta:

If you hate the West so much, yet you claim to live there, why don't you move to Russia or better still China ? Hypocrisy much?

Good riddance grin

He can't. If he indeed lives in UK (A western country) as he claimed, why is he still living there. UK wouldn't miss him if he decides to relocate to Russia.

Lots of them on here are hypocrites. He is probably using a Microsoft Windows at work and typing from a Google Android phone too.

1 Like

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by ariesbull: 5:44pm On Mar 23, 2022
Hezzyluv:
Walaii.... This man no just get sence. Prior to his invasion on Ukraine, a lot of people don't even know the unit of Russian currency.

Swallow your pride and allow peaceful negotiable approach to this your madness Because, as it stands you have put your country into retrogression economically undecided
black man no get sense shaaaa

This will make rubble so valuable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by frowland(m): 5:44pm On Mar 23, 2022
Enugurangers:

He can't. If he indeed lives in UK (A western country) as he claimed, why is he still living there. UK wouldn't miss him if he decides to relocate to Russia.

Lots of them on here are hypocrites. He is probably using a Microsoft Windows at work and typing from a Google Android phone too.

Here is another deluded fellow, jumping into a discus you know nothing about.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by chronique(m): 5:44pm On Mar 23, 2022
3idiots:

The way some of you come here to analyze what you don't know with so much confidence surprises me!

I don't want to go into all the stuff you wrote, I don't have time for that. But your common sense should have told you that if Russia needed Dollars, they would ask to be paid in dollars not rubbles.

Imagine the level of misinformation you're feeding the public, who told you all that stuff you wrote there!

They think all countries are like Nigeria that imports virtually everything and needs a lot of dollars to settle international payments. They don't know Russia is an exporting economy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by Elvictor: 5:44pm On Mar 23, 2022
SocialJustice:
How? You guys just type the first thing that comes to your mind.

USA will gladly replace Russian gas with their shale gas. Don't even argue with me, Google ships currently heading for Europe with gas from USA to see what's happening. There will only be temporary shortage in Europe before USA meets the demand. This is Russia committing suicide.

Then there's the bigger picture of the world being absolutely tired of fossil fuels and how it causes wars and affects countries that are not even fighting. Everybody is moving away from fossil fuel.

Ok

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by Trendingbiz042: 5:46pm On Mar 23, 2022
Hezzyluv:
Walaii.... This man no just get sence. Prior to his invasion on Ukraine, a lot of people don't even know the unit of Russian currency.

Swallow your pride and allow peaceful negotiable approach to this your madness Because, as it stands you have put your country into retrogression economically undecided

Omo i know Nairaland offered everyone rights to comment but commenting foolishly should be punishable. You know nothing at all. Just like in Nigeria, we buy foreign goods and pay in their currency but when they buy from us, they pay us in their currency. Do you know the economic implication to that?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by Alamkir: 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2022
989900:
Putin grasping at straws . . . I wouldn't have thought Putin was this dumb some few months ago!

Abuse of anything: from power to pleasures, can easily seal a man's downfall.

He is getting desperate and making counter-productive and irrational decisions.

So? Who anatole help? We are talking of serious issues here, what's this? Him pass all the Russian billionair that lost a lot?
Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by MrDebonair: 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2022
People just reason rubbish and type rubbish. Putin can't stop supplying gas. Russian economy is dependent on Western countries. Otherwise he would have done that to reciprocate the gesture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by Gertyman: 5:49pm On Mar 23, 2022
Elsueno:

But what products of the West are u talking about? .....what exactly those the U.S produce that Russia can't survive without...The main reason d dollar stands as currency is because everybody uses it for trade....Now if a few countries use d rubbles & Yaun doesn't & others accept it for trade( not talking about US & it's vassals)..That would obviously diminish d value of $,
Again, d main reason why everybody uses $$ is due to trust, How many countries have the US & vassals have frozen thier money due to their so called "sanctions"....The thing is, US should have never tampered with d SWIFT thing..it sends d wrong message...Let d dollar have competition whether Rubble/Yaun & our own African currency( I know dis one is impossible, but u I can dream right grin)

Everybody does not use dollar because they want to. Bretton wood agreement in the 40's is the reason why U.S have positioned herself for this current era. Now that everyone have accepted and uses dollar to trade and even mount up several dollar in their foreign reserve, in addition to that U.S have alot of industries occupying fortune 500, and including strong military. It will take time to ditch dollar. Nobody wants to loose their money anytime soon, so it's everyone's interest that dollar should not crash, not that like dollar anymore, but they have no choice any longer. No country is ready to loose its wealth anymore. And asides, U.S is still the largest holder of Gold in the world. It's not until China can compete and not manipulate their currency anymore.

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by Boldtrust(m): 5:49pm On Mar 23, 2022
ivolt:
Some smart bloke is messing with Putin's head.

If Russia will only accept Rubble, that means the buyers must get Rubles somehow.
Since buyers can't print their own Ruble, they have to buy it and guess with what currency?
Euro or Dollar of course and we are back to square one.

While this move will prop up the value of Ruble a bit, it won't save Russia's economy in the long run
should the invasion continue.
You have a good head �
Putin can take as many measures as he can.. It still won't save the country's economic downturn in the long run. I don't think those shouting "NICE JOB!" really understand the debt of problems Putin's madness has caused Russians. Being cut off from the rest of the world in the 21st century is different from the 19th centuries or earlier. Russia will struggle to recover technologically, economically and politically.
Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by LordReed(m): 5:50pm On Mar 23, 2022
naijapower:
The change will affect energy exports to "unfriendly countries"

https://www.rt.com/business/552546-putin-wants-rubles-russian-gas/

This is what he should have done instead of launching an Invasion with no positive outcome. Now his leverage has faded away, Europe will be even more eager to cut the energy umbilical cord since they already view the energy purchases as funding his war on Ukraine. This is the problem of having yes men surround you all the time, no person to challenge you to critical reasoning and analysis.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by chopnaira: 5:51pm On Mar 23, 2022
frowland:

I am referring to the same UK you stayed for 8 years!
Who cares if you give up??

Enugurangers:

gambojimeta:

Good riddance grin

You both are wasting your time on that scammer called frowland claiming to live in the UK when he lives in ipaja /Gowon estate. Gowon estate is almost a slum. Nairaland na cruise walahi. ..

He is a car dealer sales middle man selling American Cars online and offline.

Baba lives in ipaja/Gowon estate dey claim UK.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by ArewaTech1(m): 5:52pm On Mar 23, 2022
SocialJustice:
Make your point or keep quiet abeg, I done tire for stupid mentions. 20 people will mention you, 15 are disguised fools, 4 are open fools, only 1 will make a valid point. Sifting through garbage is tiring. You people make using this place a chore.

My point is, the countries that needs Russian gas will stress to get rubles.

Oga think... it's not like you going to filling station and buying 4 liters to use for your generator.

making deal with Qatar... No mean say Qatar go send them gas tomorrow.

Infrastructure needs to be built... Which will take years.

2 Likes

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by tonyshine01: 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2022
Way to go.
Africans should equally start requesting Naira for crude Oil and Gold.

1 Like

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by BloomingDale(f): 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2022
Gertyman:

Awesome, but let's do positive and negative mathematics here. I believe West will buy a certain percentage of Gas from Russia, and also pay Russia that same percentage of Rubble they hold in reserve. But what if Russia wants to buy a certain percentage of other items, which we definitely expect to be more than the total amount of Rubble the West pays them. then it will take years to accumulate the Rubbles required to pay the West to buy Planes, Pharmaceutical Products, software, Agricultural products, machine equipment, etc. That's why it won't work. Once a country's economy depends on one or two exported items, for example, Nigeria, it's a failure already. Countries with lots of innovations and varieties of items to export to the world markets are the ones balling.

That is why they are going into alliance with China and other countries. No country wants the dollar to be used as a weapon against them. Africans should please unite, use one currency, trade amongst ourselves and try to be independent of other countries since we have the all the raw materials needed.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by tonididdy(m): 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2022
Hezzyluv:

Worlds highest oil exporter and you say "a lot of people" don't know her currency. Anyway this is entirely your opinion, that you do not know does not justify the use of "a lot".
In 2018 , Russia hosted the FIFA WC... Almost 800,000,000 fans visited the country and you say " a lot".
I don't blame you for condemning this motive by Russia, I blame your ancestors, our ancestors who have worshiped the dollar since time immemorial and now almost everything revolves around the dollar.
This war is an eye opener for the world, it's full of potentials for the smart nations. Russia is opening a part to a new world direction. If the 50% of the dollar is boycotted, trust me ... You will be a big boy in that Nigeria.
This is a test phase, if Russia accepts rubble for payment then why can't Nigeria, why can't Iran, Saudi Arabia.
This will bend the crown that has being g sitting on the west for too long.
Change is highly welcome because the direction the world is headed is doom

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by rottennaija(m): 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2022
Hezzyluv:

It's not everything you comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by frowland(m): 5:55pm On Mar 23, 2022
chopnaira:

You both are wasting your time on that scammer called frowland claiming to live in the UK when he lives in ipaja /Gowon estate. Gowon estate is almost a slum. Nairaland na cruise walahi. ..

He is a car dealer sales middle man selling American Cars online and offline.

Baba lives in ipaja/Gowon estate dey claim UK.
That is my house! Is it blocking your way?
Why not go there and ask them if I am home?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by rajiedreez: 5:56pm On Mar 23, 2022
tolue42:

QATARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Looooooollllllzzzzzzz, even Iran has more natural gas reserve that Qatar that has 12.5% compared to Russia 24%. Have you even thought of transportation cost. There's pipeline already laid from Russia to other other countries with little or no risk of transportation compared to shipping with vessels from Qatar to EU.

Oga sir Putin's got them by the balls

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by CoronaVirusPro: 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2022
ivolt:
Some smart bloke is messing with Putin's head.

If Russia will only accept Rubble, that means the buyers must get Rubles somehow.
Since buyers can't print their own Ruble, they have to buy it and guess with what currency?
Euro or Dollar of course and we are back to square one.

While this move will prop up the value of Ruble a bit, it won't save Russia's economy in the long run
should the invasion continue.

Dude is doing too much drugs

Who will be at the losing end..... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by chopnaira: 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2022
frowland:

That is my house? Is it blocking your way?
Why not go there and ask them if I am home? Another olodo!
House 19, road 8. Peace estate. Use google map. Then go their and ask the neighbors where I am.

Story don change. From UK to Ipaja.

Gowon estate below yet you claim someone in the UK lives in a slum. Acting like you live there yourself.

And also acting like you know about UK more than someone that lives there for 7 or is it 8 years

Abeg, take your L in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by tonyshine01: 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2022
Low self esteem dey worry you.
Why don'tyou as Aftican price your own commodities in your local currency so that your currency will be valuable as well.
Must you remain a slave to the Dollar?
Na your own come worse pass sef.
ariesbull:
black man no get sense shaaaa

This will make rubble so valuable
Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by Cheapgadget(f): 5:59pm On Mar 23, 2022
naijapower:
This strategy will cause the Ruble to appreciate and ensure stability of the russia economy. As Germany, and other EU nations will have to source for Ruble to pay for gas.

Trading in Ruble has always been the desire of Putin and russia.

The reason why the US attack Iraq, Libya, Syrie etc was because they wanted to abandon the use of dollar for trade.

That is why they killed Gaddafi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by Svlla: 5:59pm On Mar 23, 2022
As a matter of fact he is
Russia controls natural gas in the world

Russia holds 1/4 of the whole natural gas reserve in world

Another fact
Russia, Iran, Qatar and Saudi Arabia hold 50% of the natural gas reserve in the world

So tell me how Russia won't be able to influence politics of natural gas?

Russia still meets 45% of Europe gas needs despite being the 2nd largest Natural gas consumer in the world after US (consumes 20% of world's natural gas)

If Russia decides to close LNG export for 1 day, there will be energy crisis in Europe

If Russia decides to halt LNG export for 1 week there will be disaster all over the world

Imagine what will happen when it doesn't export gas for 1 month

USA already has sanctioned Iran energy sector, the only country with abundant natural gas next to Russia

mployer:
He is not the sole supplier of gas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by MT: 5:59pm On Mar 23, 2022
rajiedreez:

Looooooollllllzzzzzzz, even Iran has more natural gas reserve that Qatar that has 12.5% compared to Russia 24%. Has you even thought of transportation cost. There's pipeline already laid from Russia to other other countries with little or no risk of transportation compared to shipping with vessels from Qatar to EU.

Oga sir Putin's got them by the balls

and is the pipeline in use (Nord 2)? As it is, Russia pipeline passes through Ukraine to EU and Russia still pays Ukraine passage fee on that
Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by frowland(m): 6:00pm On Mar 23, 2022
chopnaira:

Story don change.

Gowon estate below yet you claim someone in the UK lives in a slum

And acting like you know about UK more than someone that lives there for 7 or is it 8 years

Abeg, take your L in peace.

Means this one doesn’t even know Gowon Estate. A plot of land in that estate doesn’t sell less than 60m.
Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by Gertyman: 6:01pm On Mar 23, 2022
BloomingDale:

That is why they are going into alliance with China and other countries. No country wants the dollar to be used as a weapon against them. Africans should please unite, use one currency, trade amongst ourselves and try to be independent of other countries since we have the all the raw materials needed.

Of course Yes, I understand that they need an alliance, especially with China, but China still depends on exports, and the main China customer for export is the West, that's why the situation is not easy as said. You have to weigh your pros and cons. How many advantages will China gain from Russia than Gas? and If the West also decides to decouple from China (though very dangerous for the West), it will hurt everyone. The market and commercial activities between China and the West is like Marriage, it will be messy during a divorce. China still has more than 500 million populations she is still struggling to get out of poverty. So, it's not a good idea for China now to divorce the West because they want to save Russia. That's why they are playing the game carefully. They also don't like the West, but still, power belongs to the West.
Re: Putin Wants Rubles For Russian Gas by chronique(m): 6:02pm On Mar 23, 2022
tolue42:

So you know more than the Germany government with this quote

"Germany hopes to lock down a long-term LNG import deal with LNG powerhouse Qatar as Berlin looks to eliminate the need for Russian gas."

How does this picture below translate to 3%?

Qatar has other countries they are supplying to na. They already said it that they can't make up for the total shortfall from Russian gas that the EU wants them to cover. Netherlands has gas but it's not the same quality as that from Russia. That's Russia has the largest supply in Europe.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply)

Biden Arrives Israel. / Taliban Mocks Journalist: "You Want Freedom Of Speech, Ask Facebook Company" / CNN Worldwide President, Zucker Resigns After Relationship With Co-worker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.