Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,504 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? (24127 Views)

What Kind Of House Can I Build With 3m / Lady Shares Video Of House An Agent Took Her To In Lagos For N300k / Check Out "The Slice Of House" That Got Nigerians Laughing Hard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by jesmond3945: 11:45am On Mar 25, 2022
Fabbyking:
My advice is build a 2 bedroom for your self first so that you and your family will have a place you call your own without paying rent and can be completed within a short time then gradually without much stress and pressure build for commercial purposes.

I also have a situation that I will need everybody's contribution. I am igbo and I reside in the North but due to the rising security situation in the county I want to relocate preferably anywhere in the east but the east is not that safe also. Even if I relocate what will I be doing, ideas:-
1- Build a guest house maybe later Hotel
2- Become a distributor of Nigerian Brewery (Beer)
3- Build self con. Houses and relax
4- Continue my building materials business
5- Continue staying in the North and investing something in the East
number 5
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by abduly4: 11:49am On Mar 25, 2022
Ndlistic:
Property gurus in the house, please, how long will it take someone that saves at least 400k - 450k a month to complete a 3 storey building in the South East?

Let's say land is already available.

Again, would you advise build own personal house (duplex) first or build a 3-deck house for rentage before building own personal house?

Thanks.

Note: I Said savings, not earnings. Thanks
You will build a mansion in 3 years...
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by ogododo: 11:59am On Mar 25, 2022
crixlight2:

Haha which kine advice be this , how person go complete duplex with 9.6million with the current price of building materials

If you get land it is possible.
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by ScofieldBello(m): 12:01pm On Mar 25, 2022
To have a 3-storey building, you would actually need about 120million naira and that's if you want to even manage.

It would also take about 20 years if you pump in 500K monthly. I am sure you do not want that for yourself.

Umorosky17:

I tire oooo, very surprising.

2 Likes

Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by Abaman001(m): 12:02pm On Mar 25, 2022
jesmond3945:
do you mean one bungalow or sets of bungalow?

A bungalow that has 4sets of apartment....
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by tetralogyfallot(m): 12:03pm On Mar 25, 2022
Snails:
First of all have a cost plan. Like how much is rod, cement, labour, water, just have and know the estimate of the building materials you will need to complete the 3storey building.

Then every month you know how you can allocate the resources to the project.

But if you wan build 3storey with 500k budget per month, just know say e go take you up-to 5years to complete.
5 years fit no complete am o. 500k per month for 5 years is just 30mike o. Can 30mike build a 3storey building?
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by majesticguy: 12:05pm On Mar 25, 2022
Ndlistic:
Property gurus in the house, please, how long will it take someone that saves at least 400k - 450k a month to complete a 3 storey building in the South East?

Again, would you advise build own personal house (duplex) first or build a 3-deck house for rentage before building own personal house?

Thanks.

By 3 storey building, what do you really have in mind as regards the pattern. Would it be a single flat per floor? 2 bedroom flat per floor? 2 room and parlour selfcon per floor? A room and parlour plus one room selfcon per floor?

You see, why I am asking is that the cost of erecting any of the above varies. Starting from the least on the list, a friend of mine in the east recently completed his, a storey building ( a room and parlour plus one room selfcon...this is equivalent to a single 2 bedroom flat per floor) with 10million naira(everything included, both finishing). So, if you are going with this pattern, 25-40million should be ok. And going by your savings pattern, that should be about 8years.

Many a folk might argue that math skills sucks. Because If 10 million can erect this kind of building, then 30million should comfortable erect a three storey building of the same pattern.

.........Well that's not so. First, you have to have it in mind that the OP plans on building in installments. So as a result of that, you have to factor the rising price of building materials from year to year. What was sold for 4k this year might add extra 2k next year making it 6k. Labour as at last year February, was 4k, and serving Labourer was 2.5k. But presently, labour is now 6k & serving Labourer 4k. Prices of different sizes of rod are now 2 times what it was last year, so also many building materials.

That's just the estimated price of erecting that pattern of building, which happens to be the least on the aforementioned list...... Meaning that if you want a pattern better than that(probably 2 bedroom flat of two units of a single bedroom flat with a room and parlor selfcon per floor), then be prepared to Shell out more money.

My advice. After choosing your desired pattern, if there's a way you can source the whole money & erect the building straight away, without doing it in installments, it'd really save you a whole lot of money, stress etc.. Again, if you can achieve the aforementioned feat, in 10 years time, you should be able to recoup at least more than half of the money spent on the building. Whatever you do, it should be rentage building first, before any other thing. Lastly, try to cut you coat according to your cloth. Make sure you start something you'd be able to finish. I'd rather start a building I can finish than let it linger on for years as an uncompleted building.

2 Likes

Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by stancydg: 12:20pm On Mar 25, 2022
Get on the National Housing Fund(NHF) by the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN) via any accredited Primary Mortgage Bank(PMB) in your area. Make your contributions for 6months and get your 10% - 30% equity contribution ready for whatever building type you desire and FMBN finances the rest for you, while you repay at 6% interest rate over a long period.

1 Like

Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by Dfavouredone: 12:20pm On Mar 25, 2022
IHANLU:
The best is to get a loan facility to execute the project of 3 storey building now in which the monthly repayment plan will be within 400k - 450k.
The reason being that, the cost of building material is not stable also considering the time value of money. once you do this, you will continue to enjoy the rental income from now while servicing the loan as against staying the construction for several years before completion.
I am speaking from personal experience

Not a good advise.

If you take 50m loan at 12% per annum, that means paying interest of 6m annually (500k monthly) without even paying pay the principal. All his monthly savings will go into paying interest and the principal will still be there. Simply put, he will be working for the bank.

You only take a loan to finance a project that have ROI beyond the prevailing interest rate.

3 Likes

Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by MRFIXER001: 12:36pm On Mar 25, 2022
If you build some set of apartment, it will not only help you with where you stay but also serve as source of income. Although, with your savings it might take time to finish it than the expected time.

The only advantage of you building duplex first is that you will finish it faster than the 3 storey
Ndlistic:

Thanks.

Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by Pegi23(f): 12:57pm On Mar 25, 2022
Give me the contract..you will pay me sha oo
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by deavicky(m): 1:37pm On Mar 25, 2022
Ndlistic:

Thanks.

u don't need to save the total sum before you start. Reasons being that prices of things changes by the day in this country. In June last year 16mm rod was sold for #3300 and cement about #2600 but now they are #7800 and 4600 respectively. Assuming the total cost of that building was estimated to be 20m last year now it would be 40m meaning that u will still have to save another 20m to make 40m and don't forget that it take time to save that money and there is a very high probability that the price will also increase. So if u go by saving the Money u may end up not building the house.
If u really want to build, determine ur cost in stages. Fist know the cost of the foundation. You can even break that into 2 by grouping excavation, amount of rod, cost of blinding as one stage. The next stage would be to lay block to DPC this important because if it is not done ontime the trench will collapse.
This stage might just take like 4 to 5 months of that ur savings. Then begin feeling of the foundation and casting for DPC this might take 1 and a half or 2 months saving too. After this level u can be laying ur block monthly till u get to decking. At this point u need a bulk money. I don't know the size of ur building, but you won't be spending less 4m on this stage this means u need about 12 months savings. It is not going to be easy but the bottom line is for to just start.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by Nadeol: 1:49pm On Mar 25, 2022
Freestainworld:
Build 3 storey building for rental first, park in into one of the flats while leasing the remaining flats out, then gradually plan properly on how to build private house later.

Sense will not kill you wink
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by Blackdisciple(m): 1:59pm On Mar 25, 2022
Oga building of house no be do or die affair oo,. You start little by little you will finish it first get your land in place , pay your area boys to build blocks for you small small before u will know it you don reach lintel level.....
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by ebenope(m): 2:59pm On Mar 25, 2022
Can I come up with a proposal for you? As an architect I will do that... You can get through 080 5290 0809
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by Fabbyking: 3:14pm On Mar 25, 2022
jesmond3945:
number 5
thanks
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by nike4love: 3:17pm On Mar 25, 2022
Ndlistic:

My brother you have more than enough to start... Don't build duplex now,tenant house is an assets. Start by saving up that amount for like two years... Look for a good contractor ND start building... Always remember to not manage in buying material to prevent building collapse.... Good luck.
Thanks.

Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by mascot345: 3:27pm On Mar 25, 2022
Snails:
First of all have a cost plan. Like how much is rod, cement, labour, water, just have and know the estimate of the building materials you will need to complete the 3storey building.

Then every month you know how you can allocate the resources to the project.

But if you wan build 3storey with 500k budget per month, just know say e go take you up-to 5years to complete.

It will take him 10 years to complete.
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by odimbannamdi(m): 3:33pm On Mar 25, 2022
Thinktwicemybro:
It depends on your responsibility. If you can save 200k out of it monthly, you can build a three bedroom flat in 3-4 years.

He said the 400 - 450k is his savings/allocation for the building project, not his earning.

1 Like

Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by mascot345: 3:34pm On Mar 25, 2022
Ndlistic:

Thanks.

Here is my advice.
This is what I hate about igbo people.
I am an Igbo guy too.

The guy that is building a 2 story building in front of my house has spent #35 million but he has not finished. Though about roofing.

Though double flats into two. At the end he has six flats.

I am an Engineer too.

Good obut this project will take u like 5 to10 years to complete...

Just consult a good engineer before you start to avoid stories that touch...

Or just make it one 2 storey or 1 storey building.

Note the cost of materials is too expensive.
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by odimbannamdi(m): 3:37pm On Mar 25, 2022
chimexdnice1:
Don't start by saving 400k every month. Instead use that 400k every month and buy materials for whatever type of building you want to do. Because prices of building materials ain't smiling and won't wait for you to save up something big. Prices are steadily increasing. Don't make that mistake.
If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, crawl. But by all (Legal) means, keep moving!

Viable advise. Iron rod was 2,500/unit in January but I was delaying. Same Iron rod sells for 4,500-5,000/unit now. He should start something NOW!

1 Like

Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by odimbannamdi(m): 3:43pm On Mar 25, 2022
IHANLU:
The best is to get a loan facility to execute the project of 3 storey building now in which the monthly repayment plan will be within 400k - 450k.
The reason being that, the cost of building material is not stable also considering the time value of money. once you do this, you will continue to enjoy the rental income from now while servicing the loan as against staying the construction for several years before completion.
I am speaking from personal experience

Very viable advise. Please, any ideas on ways one can get loan for building, aside NHF?
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by odimbannamdi(m): 3:50pm On Mar 25, 2022
stancydg:
Get on the National Housing Fund(NHF) by the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN) via any accredited Primary Mortgage Bank(PMB) in your area. Make your contributions for 6months and get your 10% - 30% equity contribution ready for whatever building type you desire and FMBN finances the rest for you, while you repay at 6% interest rate over a long period.

Good advise, but NHF funds is disbursed ONLY for the purchase of already finished buildings, and not to use in building afresh.
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by Meeenah(f): 4:58pm On Mar 25, 2022
No where is safe in Nigeria my bros. Like I advised my friend who is a lecturer in one of the Northern Universities, continue to stay in the North while investing in the east. Have an emergency backup plan in case for security reasons you have to leave sudden. You can also buid a house in the east or even Lagos so that you at least have where to stay incase you have to relocte suddenly.

Fabbyking
post=111352032:

My advice is build a 2 for your self first so that you and your family will have a place you call your own without paying rent and can be completed within a short time then gradually without much stress and pressure build for commercial purposes.

I also have a situation that I will need everybody's contribution. I am igbo and I reside in the North but due to the rising security situation in the county I want to relocate preferably anywhere in the east but the east is not that safe also. Even if I relocate what will I be doing, ideas:-
1- Build a guest house maybe later Hotel
2- Become a distributor of Nigerian Brewery (Beer)
3- Build self con. Houses and relax
4- Continue my building materials business
5- Continue staying in the North and investing something in the East
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by princejones(m): 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2022
Ndlistic:

Thanks.
lt can build but you may need to do costing first to know how much it will cost and how much you have at hand since there is land already. Rented make more sense first as you can live in one of the apartment before building personal residence
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by Ibegtodiffer: 8:14pm On Mar 25, 2022
Dfavouredone:

Not a good advise.

If you take 50m loan at 12% per annum, that means paying interest of 6m annually (500k monthly) without even paying pay the principal. All his monthly savings will go into paying interest and the principal will still be there. Simply put, he will be working for the bank.

You only take a loan to finance a project that have ROI beyond the prevailing interest rate.

Massive analysis sir. This is the first time I'm understanding this "x % per annum stuff". From what you have explained, as long as the 50M is no fully paid, 10% of what is left is spread across each month, annually.

Walahi banks are thieves. Haba!
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by Aaay: 8:47pm On Mar 25, 2022
Self contain offcourse
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by crixlight2(m): 8:17pm On Mar 26, 2022
ogododo:

If you get land it is possible.
How please explain ooo, you going to spend nothing less than 1.6 no blocks alone , G floor will cost around 2m , decking will cost almost 4m. Don’t even think am
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by aariwa(m): 8:33pm On Mar 26, 2022
Building house is always cheaper if the person supervising the project is a trusted person or family like your father or mother or husband or wife or child.From my observations you can get 50% off from all these prices with that.Ask any friend that had built for cheap and you will find out that this is the case
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by samuelson06(m): 12:12am On Mar 27, 2022
frozen70:

Don't save the money, start purchasing materials of you are serious about building

The idea of going for a three storey building looks like a white elephant project

Foundation of three storey building is approximately 5 million because you are going to use 22mm rod

Start by pricing 22mm rod and 16mm rod per tons

Hello, can 16mm be used to build a 2-storey building?
Re: What Type Of House Can ₦400k Savings Per Month Build? by frozen70(f): 5:32am On Mar 27, 2022
samuelson06:

Hello, can 16mm be used to build a 2-storey building?

Yes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Anything Wrong In Painting A House Black? / My Experience With Building Approval In Lagos / Another Building Collapses In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.