Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,987 members, 7,814,369 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months (10094 Views)

NNPC Confirms IOCs Exit, Insists On Gas Development / Niger Delta Militants Make 5 Demands, Write IOCs / Oil Bloc: Mass Sack Looms As More IOCs Mull Exit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Omooba77: 7:50am On Mar 25, 2022
The total value of Nigeria’s crude oil stolen between January 2021 and February 2022 is about $3.27bn (representing N1.361tn at the official exchange rate of N416.25 to the dollar), the Federal Government declared on Thursday.

International oil companies and their counterparts in Nigeria said the massive oil theft across the country currently posed a threat to not just their existence, but to the Nigerian economy.

The Federal Government through its Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission, met with the Oil Producers Trade Section, as well as the Independent Petroleum Producers Group in Abuja at a stakeholders’ engagement on crude oil theft.

OPTS is a body comprising IOCs operating in Nigeria, while IPPG is an association of indigenous exploration and production companies.

A presentation by the NUPRC at the event indicated that oil theft rose sharply between 2021 and 2022, as an official of the IPPG stated that about 91 per cent of total crude produced at the Bonny Terminal was stolen in January 2022.

In its report on the trend in oil theft, the NUPRC said, “Total value loss for the period January 2021 to February 2022 is about $3.27bn.

“Average monthly value loss for the period is about $233.99m. Average daily value loss for the period is about $7.72m.”

It added, “Losses are mainly from Bonny Terminal Network, Forcados Terminal Network (and) Brass Terminal Network.”

The commission outlined factors that aided crude oil theft to include inadequate security, poor community engagement, economic challenges, poor surveillance, stakeholder compromises and exposed facilities.

This came as the OPTS Chairman, Rick Kennedy, who doubles as Managing Director, Chevron Nigeria Limited, and represented IOCs at the meeting, described the massive oil theft across the country as an organised criminal activity.

Kennedy, who was represented by the Managing Director, ExxonMobil Nigeria, Richard Laing, said, “When I say it is an organised criminality, the sophistication of the engineering involved points towards a high degree of sophistication and technology, as well as the distribution.

“I think we’ve just got to be honest and accept that this is not theft but more than that.”

The IOCs called for a quick solution to the menace, stressing that the development posed a serious threat to their existence.

“It is important that the Federal Government, industry, and a whole bunch of other stakeholders find a solution and find it quickly. That will be my strong advice,” Laing stated.

On its part, the IPPG through its Chairman, Abdulrazaq Isa, said the criminal operations were being extended to host communities, adding that it must be stopped now before its too late.

“This is a massive criminal operation and is now being extended into the communities as they’ve been dragged into it,” Isa, who was represented by the Managing Director, Waltersmith Petroman Oil Limited, Chikezie Nwosu, stated.

Explaining the jump in oil theft between last year and now, Nwosu said, “In December 2021, the overall theft or what was stolen from the line was 91 per cent of the crude.

“That means for every 100 barrels, all that got to the Bonny Terminal was nine barrels. In January this year it improved to 75 per cent but in February it went back to 82 per cent.”

The IPPG representative stated that independent producers could no longer survive, “and that is why I’m talking about the urgency.”

He added, “The critical part of this problem started in 2021. Prior to that, you could still survive with crude oil theft when it was still single digit in terms of percentages.

“But in 2021, we saw it rising slowly from 12, 15, 40 to 91 per cent in January this year. And you cannot survive with this. If you produce 100 barrels of crude, all you get at the end of the day for export is nine or 10 barrels. How can you survive?”

On the impact of this menace, the NUPRC in its report stated that government revenue was adversely affected, as revenue accruing to the operators had been impacted negatively

The NUPRC said there had been a loss of value arising from surging costs due to frequent repairs of damaged facilities.

It stated that spillages and leakages were mostly caused by activities of saboteurs leading to environmental degradation and deprivation of source of livelihood to indigent people.

It, however, stated that actions were being taken to mitigate crude oil theft and pipeline vandalism, as a work team comprising the regulator and operators was set up in August 2021.

“The work team was set up to deliberate on workable solutions to mitigate crude oil losses, identify various responsible parties along the crude oil loss value chain and propose improvement areas for effective surveillance,” the NUPRC stated.

On the implementation of the host communities provision in the PIA 2021, it stated that the draft regulations was already in place, as further engagement with stakeholders was underway.

The Chief Executive, NUPRC, Gbenga Komolafe, said the meeting was organised by the commission to hear what the IOCs and their counterparts in Nigeria had to say about the recent menace of oil theft.

He said, “The meeting was convened to get the opinion of stakeholders, especially the investors, which include the OPTS and IPPG. It is the concern of the government that we increase our oil production.

“Because when the upstream is sick, it affects the well-being and health of the country. The situation is happening in upstream and is a threat to the existence and wellbeing of the economy.

“So we are very concerned about this and we’ve been doing a lot and will ensure that we do everything possible to increase oil production in a manner that will make the nation benefit from the upward movement in the international prices of crude.”

https://punchng.com/iocs-fear-collapse-as-fg-says-n1-36tn-crude-stolen-in-14-months/

2 Shares

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by helinues: 7:51am On Mar 25, 2022
Then add subsidy that FG must have paid on the stolen crude oil.

Oh my Nigeria

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Nbotee(m): 7:59am On Mar 25, 2022
Lolzzzz... Who dey thief am

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Omooba77: 7:59am On Mar 25, 2022
helinues:

Oh my Nigeria

A man that claimed he will fight corruption....Buhari the Minister of Petroleum oooo angry angry angry grin.....

28 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Nbotee(m): 7:59am On Mar 25, 2022
helinues:

Oh my Nigeria

Subsidy on crude oil

helinues:

What's crude oil, what's petroleum?

See the set of people I have been wasting time engaging with..

Oh lala
Oh my mynd

I grossly underrated ur ignorance.

14 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by helinues: 8:02am On Mar 25, 2022
Nbotee:

Subsidy on crude oil

Pardon?
Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Omooba77: 8:03am On Mar 25, 2022
Lalasticlala come ooooi......
Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by helinues: 8:03am On Mar 25, 2022
Omooba77:

A man that claimed he will corruption....Buhari the Minister of Petroleum oooo angry angry angry grin.....

I am yet to know which kind of opposition you guys are. I just raised a point which you might not have thought about, instead of you to pick from that and use it in your next argument, you want to start your round of wailing. 7 years counting

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Nbotee(m): 8:08am On Mar 25, 2022
helinues:

Pardon?

Is subsidy paid on crude exported or on Petrol imported?

helinues:

Oh lala
Oh my mynd

The mere fact that U believe Petrol and crude oil are the same says a lot about not jus ur education but also ur common sense

helinues:

Yeyeoldman, so it is only Petrol that are refined from crude oil?

Why are U arrogantly ignorant? Ur case is clearly beyond mere ignorance but obviously of acute lack lack brains. How can someone be so confidently misinformed??

15 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by helinues: 8:10am On Mar 25, 2022
Nbotee:

Oh lala
Oh my mynd

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Parachoko: 8:14am On Mar 25, 2022
I hope the minister of petroleum is listening to this.

3 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by bayelsaowei(m): 8:14am On Mar 25, 2022
The FG, state governments and all Arms of the government have failed Nigerians...

Our leaders are useless people.. they can't protect the very asset that provides money for the nation..can any nation be more useless than Nigeria?

We are not facing sanctions or natural disasters yet the country is this useless..

Does the government expect IOCs to protect these pipelines ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by helinues: 8:19am On Mar 25, 2022
bayelsaowei:
The FG, state governments and all Arms of the government have failed Nigerians...

Our leaders are useless people.. they can't protect the very asset that provides money for the nation..can any nation be more useless than Nigeria?

We are not facing sanctions or natural disasters yet the country is this useless..

Does the government expect IOCs to protect these pipelines ?

Are they not the same people stealing the Money, keeping yams with a goat..

grin

4 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Nobody: 8:19am On Mar 25, 2022
Things DE Sup
Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by spafu(m): 8:20am On Mar 25, 2022
Oj
Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by yesloaded: 8:20am On Mar 25, 2022
This administration is a joke

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Chibuzoc(m): 8:21am On Mar 25, 2022
grin
Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by adecz: 8:22am On Mar 25, 2022
☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️
⚡️The Minister for Petroleum is shocked ⚡️ ⚡️

6 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by bluefilm: 8:22am On Mar 25, 2022
I don't even understand anything about what is being said here.

Who are the thieves?

Where are they taking the stolen oil to?

Has crude oil become something that can be transported without any trace?

4 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Ohibenemma(m): 8:22am On Mar 25, 2022
As condemnable as the actions of bunkerers are, we can't shy away from the fact that the terrible economic conditions bedevilling us as a nation, which is mostly caused by government ineptitude and corruption, is a major factor prompting many to the dangerous business (crime).

Should things continue like this, the scourge can only get worse. May God give us smart and honest leaders.

1 Like

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by pyyxxaro: 8:22am On Mar 25, 2022
These men just de chop our money back to back
Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Sarloa: 8:22am On Mar 25, 2022
helinues:

I am yet to know which kind of opposition you guys are. I just raised a point which you might not have thought about, instead of you to pick from that and use it in your next argument, you want to start your round of wailing. 7 years counting
Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by visijo(m): 8:22am On Mar 25, 2022
“ u can gym as much as u want chief, ladies are not looking for muscles, they want money “ �

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by olas24u(f): 8:23am On Mar 25, 2022
Nbotee:

Some are swap deals ,they are very corrupt and effccc normally looks the other way in this types of cases.

1 Like

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by LagosXYZ: 8:24am On Mar 25, 2022
helinues:

Oh lala
Oh my mynd

Lmaoo, This guy chill now grin grin grin . Lets not deviate from the serious concerns about this post okay.Abeg

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by NGArmyTerrorist: 8:24am On Mar 25, 2022
Who is the minister of petrol, na the same old thief!

1 Like

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Earthquakes: 8:24am On Mar 25, 2022
I tot he was only a failure but a serious thief too

3 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by scuba3(m): 8:28am On Mar 25, 2022
And I thought crude oil theft was synonymous with PDP government after all, PYO on the campaign trails in 2015 said 'Nigeria loses about 400,000 barrels of crude oil daily. A number higher than the daily production of crude oil in Ghana'.

4 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by AntiBeEmCe(m): 8:28am On Mar 25, 2022
Almaigaa come o. Come and witness more failure, major pilfery and utter cluelessness from ur fave. You see all these and still talk trash about Peter Obi or anyone else for that matter. Nobody fit do pass this one. I'm sure there will be nothing left in the nation's coffers by the time the carcass leaves office. Never again.

2 Likes

Re: IOCs Fear Collapse As FG Says N1.36tn Crude Stolen In 14 Months by Kolenda(m): 8:28am On Mar 25, 2022
Please who is the minister of petroleum again?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? / Missing Youth Corper Confirmed Dead. / Abdulsalami - The North Will Recover In 20 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.