Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,945 members, 7,814,202 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (38800 Views)

My Mum Bullying My Dad Is Getting Out Of Hand!!! / My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by ovieigho(m): 12:54pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:
I have two lovely kids with my wife - a girl and a boy. My son is six years old while his sister is eight. Both were born here in the US. I’ve done what I feel is right as a father to train these kids, but I know not everything can be done accordingly.

My son is restless. He has the attention span of three seconds before he gets distracted by something else. My mum tells says he is a copy of me when I was his age, but that was in the eighties and the way children were handled back then is totally different from today. He hardly wants to do anything in terms of school work and almost every day I get complaints from his teacher that he does not do his work or he is disruptive in class. When other students are doing their work, my son will be the one falling off his chair or hiding under his desk. His teacher told me he acts out when being corrected. Only yesterday my wife told me the teacher met her when she went to pick them up in school and told her that my son started yelling when the lights in the class started flickering. His behavior got so bad, they had to call the school security officer before he calmed down.

This behavior is really bothering me. I know my son is smart. His pre-school teacher once told me he was the smartest student she had. My son can do complex mathematical equations off the top of his head that even his older sister struggles to do. He has a very good memory and can list off all the types of trains that exist in the US, things that even I don’t know. It’s sitting down to be serious about work that he can’t do and can’t seem to focus on.

I enrolled him in a soccer club to see if that would help him expel his excess energy. At first he seemed to be lazy as he gets frustrated easily, and rather try harder, my son would rather give up and cry. I mostly have to encourage him to put in more effort, and most of the time he does not pay attention to what the coach says. The coach told me a couple of days ago that he wants to move him to a lower group level to see if he can build his confidence there.

I want to believe it’s his being the last born for now that’s worrying him. He seemed to start being a bit more mature when my wife got pregnant last year and he learnt they had a younger sibling on the way, but unfortunately, she miscarried and we lost the baby. I’ve been thinking for a while now whether to move back to Nigeria with everyone so that we can build some sense into both of them (my daughter’s story is another one). I’ve thought of taking them both for an ADHD test, but my wife is against that. The only time my son pays attention is when he’s doing something he likes, and that is when he’s playing the PS5 I got them or watching videos on YouTube Kids.

Any advice would be welcome from parents out there.

Your son is super hyper !

Seems like he is autistic…

His nerves will calm with age
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by wallarwallar(m): 12:54pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

I see nothing wrong in buying a game console for my kids. Besides he only plays train simulators, overcooked, and lego jurassic world. And they know they only get to play it on weekends for a few hours, which they adhere to. So the PS5 is not the issue.

Sebi na u carry ur matter come naira public nw
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by MRAKBEE(m): 12:55pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:
I have two lovely kids with my wife - a girl and a boy. My son is six years old while his sister is eight. Both were born here in the US. I’ve done what I feel is right as a father to train these kids, but I know not everything can be done accordingly.

My son is restless. He has the attention span of three seconds before he gets distracted by something else. My mum tells says he is a copy of me when I was his age, but that was in the eighties and the way children were handled back then is totally different from today. He hardly wants to do anything in terms of school work and almost every day I get complaints from his teacher that he does not do his work or he is disruptive in class. When other students are doing their work, my son will be the one falling off his chair or hiding under his desk. His teacher told me he acts out when being corrected. Only yesterday my wife told me the teacher met her when she went to pick them up in school and told her that my son started yelling when the lights in the class started flickering. His behavior got so bad, they had to call the school security officer before he calmed down.

This behavior is really bothering me. I know my son is smart. His pre-school teacher once told me he was the smartest student she had. My son can do complex mathematical equations off the top of his head that even his older sister struggles to do. He has a very good memory and can list off all the types of trains that exist in the US, things that even I don’t know. It’s sitting down to be serious about work that he can’t do and can’t seem to focus on.

I enrolled him in a soccer club to see if that would help him expel his excess energy. At first he seemed to be lazy as he gets frustrated easily, and rather try harder, my son would rather give up and cry. I mostly have to encourage him to put in more effort, and most of the time he does not pay attention to what the coach says. The coach told me a couple of days ago that he wants to move him to a lower group level to see if he can build his confidence there.

I want to believe it’s his being the last born for now that’s worrying him. He seemed to start being a bit more mature when my wife got pregnant last year and he learnt they had a younger sibling on the way, but unfortunately, she miscarried and we lost the baby. I’ve been thinking for a while now whether to move back to Nigeria with everyone so that we can build some sense into both of them (my daughter’s story is another one). I’ve thought of taking them both for an ADHD test, but my wife is against that. The only time my son pays attention is when he’s doing something he likes, and that is when he’s playing the PS5 I got them or watching videos on YouTube Kids.

Just logged in cos of your post.
With the evidence you have listed above, I would state that they are both suffering from ADHD.

ADHD tends to run in families and, in most cases, it's thought the genes you inherit from your parents are a significant factor in developing the condition. Research shows that parents and siblings of someone with ADHD are more likely to have ADHD themselves(google)

Please do take your son first to see a counselor before going with the other one. His condition seems to be worse than her sister's.
My bright nephew is showing similar signs and im even thinking of moving him over to my place so that I can closely monitor him and work on his behavior.
As a professional teacher, I have been able to help him trim his behaviors in some ways and I believe that bringing him closer to me would help more.

2 Likes

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Adesina18111(m): 12:56pm On Mar 26, 2022
Bring him to Nigeria, Ajegunle or Orile iganmu to be precise...he go learn from the street... too much joy dey affect him sad sad sad

2 Likes

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by kendological(m): 12:56pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

I came here for advice on how to tackle a problem, not for a lecture on whether I am doing a good job of raising my kids. I've raised my kids the best way I feel. Not everyone is perfect. Sometimes you need inputs of other parents. Most of the time when I flog him, he behaves. His teacher has told me on several occasions he behaves after I "talk" to him, but it is not all the time one should spank a kid when he misbehaves. Training kids is not only achieved at home. They also have to learn and be corrected in school where their parents are not present, and that's where teachers come in.

As for the test, if you read my initial post, I clearly mentioned I AM OPEN TO TAKING HIM FOR AN ADHD TEST. It's my wife that's against it. I can't do that without her input and support. How would you feel if your spouse goes behind your back to do something with both your kids without your support and knowledge?

Take your wife to a neurologist, or keep waiting for your wife

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by SeriouslySense(m): 12:57pm On Mar 26, 2022
Made me to read, went there to read some article ----> https://www.oxfordlearning.com/why-cant-my-child-focus/

10 REASONS YOUR CHILD CAN’T CONCENTRATE IN SCHOOL (THAT AREN’T ADD)
Mar 15, 2018 • ATTENTION & FOCUS

Many children have trouble paying attention in class at some point in their academic career.

When this happens, especially with young students, it leaves parents wondering why their child can’t focus—and whether he or she could have a learning difficulty.

It’s important to know that not every student who has a hard time focusing in school has a learning difficulty such as ADD or ADHD.

In many cases, the concentration issues children have in school can be caused by a number of different reasons.

SIGNS OF A CONCENTRATION PROBLEM
Common signs that your child is having trouble concentrating in the classroom include:

Low grades
A dislike of school
Disruptive behaviour in class
These signs don’t automatically mean your child has a learning difficulty. Before you start looking for solutions, the first step is to identify the reasons your child is having trouble focusing in school.

Find out some of the biggest reasons students have a hard time paying attention in class (that aren’t ADD/ADHD).

10 REASONS YOUR CHILD IS HAVING TROUBLE FOCUSING IN SCHOOL
LACK OF PRACTICE
Many young children have a hard time focusing in the classroom simply because they are in a new environment. This can also happen to older children after a break from school, such as March break or summer holidays.

DOESN’T UNDERSTAND THE MATERIAL
What might look like a lack of concentration could actually be a lack of understanding the material. This lack of understanding can lead to students to stop paying attention, and consequently falling further behind.

ISN’T BEING CHALLENGED ENOUGH
For some children, what is being taught in class isn’t challenging enough. Children who are not challenged at a high enough level can lose interest in the material and stop paying attention altogether.

DISTRACTED BY EXTERNAL STIMULI
The classroom can be a place full of distractions, from chatty classmates to a cluttered workstation. Some children have a harder time than others filtering out these distractions making paying attention to the teacher more challenging.

LACK OF MOTIVATION
In some cases, your child’s concentration problem may actually be a motivation problem. This lack of motivation can lead to a number issues in the classroom—including disinterest in the material.

MISMATCHED LEARNING STYLE
Different students have different learning styles: some learn best by seeing, some by hearing, and others by doing. If your child’s teacher emphasizes a learning style that doesn’t match with how your child learns, this can result in a lack of focus and understanding.

NOT GETTING PROPER SLEEP OR NUTRITION
If your child is not getting the recommended 8-10 hours of sleep each night, he or she won’t have the energy needed to concentrate in class. Skipping breakfast is another big cause of lack of focus in class. If your child is heading to class hungry, he or she is more apt to be distracted than learning-ready.

DISORGANIZATION PROBLEMS
A disorganized notebook or workspace can be a cause of distractions for students. Coming to class disorganized means your child is spending time searching for the tools and material needed to learn rather than paying attention to what is being taught.

SCHOOL ANXIETY
Anxiety about school or grades can be another deeper issue leading to lack of focus in the classroom. Students who are overwhelmed or stressed by a subject may simply check out, leading to dropping grades and confidence.

LEARNING DIFFICULTIES
If your child is having severe problems in the classroom, such as constant disruptions, distractions, or poor grades, and you have ruled out the other items on this list, it could be time to look into possible learning difficulties.

In some cases, these children may have learning difficulties such as ADD, ADHD, or Dyslexia. He or she may also have auditory issues such as CAPD (Central Auditory Discrimination Disorder). Each of these can be addressed with the help of a tutor and learning plan, so your child can improve his or her focus and succeed in the classroom.

START OVERCOMING DISTRACTIONS
Once you know what’s causing your child’s focus issues, you’re ready to start making a plan to overcome it. For more tips on how to help your child improve his or her concentration skills, check out these tips from the experts.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by kendological(m): 12:57pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

I came here for advice on how to tackle a problem, not for a lecture on whether I am doing a good job of raising my kids. I've raised my kids the best way I feel. Not everyone is perfect. Sometimes you need inputs of other parents. Most of the time when I flog him, he behaves. His teacher has told me on several occasions he behaves after I "talk" to him, but it is not all the time one should spank a kid when he misbehaves. Training kids is not only achieved at home. They also have to learn and be corrected in school where their parents are not present, and that's where teachers come in.

As for the test, if you read my initial post, I clearly mentioned I AM OPEN TO TAKING HIM FOR AN ADHD TEST. It's my wife that's against it. I can't do that without her input and support. How would you feel if your spouse goes behind your back to do something with both your kids without your support and knowledge?

Take your wife to a neurologist, or keep waiting for your wife.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by WatchYourSix: 12:57pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Send him to Nigeria to finish is primary school and half of secondary school...

.you will thank me later..

3 Likes

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by rajiedreez: 12:57pm On Mar 26, 2022
Bro if possible sacrifice like two to three years for him to stay in naija small, not on the island o. After 3yrs in Nigeria he'll know that what he had in the USA was paradise and that no one here has time for his bad habit.

WO his head will straighten up

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Ezedon(m): 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2022
Have you done DNA test?

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by pascalbenz: 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2022
Zonefree:
You bought PS5 for a six year old and you're wondering why he's misbehaving undecided
guy you just knocked me off

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by 15ssDRIVE(m): 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Ask Mom,how she handled your own case ?
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by SeriouslySense(m): 1:00pm On Mar 26, 2022
You must be doing a wonderful Job as a father, since you are trying to understand, try every good advise, but don't give your child drugs, to calm him down.

Some clinical diagnosis are followed by drug prescriptions, and i think there are some studies that show drug usage can disrupt the Childs development, and it could be permanent.

If all the good ways did not work, maybe changing the environment will work.

Also look at the diet of your son.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by flakey94: 1:00pm On Mar 26, 2022
Bringing your family back to Nigeria is a NoNo!
Your son might be a high functioning Autistic so I suggest you get him the help he needs over there.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by sammirano: 1:00pm On Mar 26, 2022
You better send that boy to Nigeria. he will focus by force!

2 Likes

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Emma15678: 1:00pm On Mar 26, 2022
Buy koboko and flog yourself for bringing family issue to social media. Whats wrong with Africans nowadays, you can't take your child to therapy it's to NL you will take him to. Nonsense, with S/media, assailants are happier because what they will spend 1 month on you are dashing it to them. Rubbish.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by SoapQueen(f): 1:00pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

I was going to suggest you take him to a physician for evaluation before I saw "ADHD Test." Why would you wife kick against such?

Please, take him to see a doctor so that they can rule out the possiblity of any such e.g autism.

And even if there is, it's best to address them now that they are still young.

God will see you through. This too shall pass.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by eddynaira125: 1:01pm On Mar 26, 2022
Therapy this, therapy that, something wen normal beating go correct

Send those kids to Nigeria for primary/secondary school program

After twelve years they still refuse to change, then extend it to first degree which I doubt they will not want to experience
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Birminghamvirgo(m): 1:01pm On Mar 26, 2022
You need not to panic... It's just a display of one of the negative traits of a talented child which I strongly believe with time, he's gonna get over it
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Homguy(m): 1:01pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

at his age, you should have him assessed for ADHD. 3 main signs are Inattentiveness, Hyperactivity, Impulsivity. If these 3 symptoms are present at this age enough to affect school and home, he needs to be assessed for ADHD.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Munzy14(m): 1:01pm On Mar 26, 2022
Zonefree:
You bought PS5 for a six year old and you're wondering why he's misbehaving undecided
Getting a game console will no way influence the child to misbehave..Most of grew up with it...Even though my parents weren't in support, we still had to sneak it in to play when they are out..

I personally will get it for the kids when they start coming...But my wife will control the time the kids get to play it...

These things work in moderation.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Godsfavour78: 1:01pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Thank you very much. The funny thing is i do not even allow them to watch anything until the weekend. They know they have their school work to do each time they get home.

One issue I figured is my son gets bored easily. He gets tired of things once he has done them more than twice or thrice. When I call and tell him we would work on his homeworks when I get home, more often than not he would have done them before I get home. He is the kind of kid who can't sit still in one place for long and gets distracted, which was how I was when I was his age. That's why I decided to enroll him into the U8 soccer team he is. He has been there for a few weeks now and i hope that helps him.
you have a genius in you hands. Find out which subjects he loves most. Teach and buy him books on that subject that are even way higher on that subject. That will challenge him and pique his curiosity. He is misbehaving at school because they are teaching him boring stuff HE ALREADY KNOWS OR HAS NO INTEREST IN.

2 Likes

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by GloriousGbola: 1:01pm On Mar 26, 2022
I wonder why the op, who is based in the abroad, came here to post this thread. He knows exactly what he needs to do, and if he had posted this on a forum with actual American parents or doctors, he would immediately have been directed to a professional.

So either this is another click bait thread, or the poster is a nativist looking for a pastor to Holy ghost fire the devil of inattention from his son.

He is in the best place among the best people to sort his sons issues and he comes here

What does advice is he expecting from poverty striken Nigerians who consider any form of play to be destructive to children and who think everything can prayed away or beaten out?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Mindlog: 1:02pm On Mar 26, 2022
Ezedon:
Have you done DNA test?

Is your father in possession of a DNA test result regarding you?
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by ThierryJay: 1:02pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

You better dont engage or listen to that Kobojunkie persona. She's got some very twisted, out-of-touch-with-reality, or outright illogical mindset and unfortunately likes to project this on every nairalander with a family problem here.

Her friends like Ishi, Coco and Poco know she spews nonsense most of the time but they dont call her to order maybe cos of gender solidarity. And that's what I appreciate in bukatyne who gives her honest opinion whether you are male or female.

Imagine Kobo hammering on the OP that it is his duty to raise his children responsibly. Didnt the OP know that before or isnt that why he's come here to seek advisory help? The stupidity is alarming.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by HitSong: 1:03pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

That's the signs of autism... Take him for medical checkup
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by We4all: 1:03pm On Mar 26, 2022
You mom already told you he got his behavior from you so why are you still complaining?

This is why I always tell people not to give birth if they have a bad behavior.

Hereditary behaviors is the worst kind and I shudder at the mere thought of it cos there is hardly any cure for it.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Oyiboman69: 1:03pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

She said because I had the same behavior when I was a kid. I believe she is just scared.
you know the solution to your problems but is just unfortunate that the environment would not allow you discipline them in an African way which they frown upon out there. I suggest you send them to Nigeria to learn some moral upbringing through African way than letting the situation eat you up...it is only a suggestion cos I'm sure that I can definitely tow the same path for the sake of my sanity,I cannot come and go and kill myself for any pikin....

2 Likes

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by maziude: 1:04pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Take the kid for a test. The earlier you do that the better for the kid.

Taking him to naija would do nothing.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by LaconicINC: 1:04pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

As I read your post eh, the first thought that came to my mind is send him back to Nigeria and let him school here with a relative, your brother, your sister, your mom, he has to learn manners in the Nigerian way! Shikena!
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by olatuns2017: 1:05pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

Bad friends
Yahoo bois
Igbo
Get close /close mark him
Monitor everything including phones
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by KennethMichael1: 1:05pm On Mar 26, 2022
klassyguy:

guy there's a way African parents treat kids lololol just ask around and introduce that formula.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

My Mother Threatens To Commit Suicide If I Don't Leave The House / I Want To Die, 85-year-old Woman Rejected By Children Cries Out / Girlfriend Of Anambra Politician Gives Birth After Considering Abortion. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.