Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand - Family (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (38822 Views)

My Mum Bullying My Dad Is Getting Out Of Hand!!! / My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand (feedback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by prophetfire: 4:10pm On Mar 27, 2022
angelo5uk:

Yes you can discipline. Matter of fact I do that to my kids all the time. They're are several effective ways that we as parents can discipline our kids. The word discipline itself comes from discipleship.. Meaning to teach.
Flogging, hitting or causing physical harm to a child is not discipline.
There's a thin line between how we discipline kids in Africa and child abuse. That's why lots of kids in Africa dont have self confidence. They don flog their confidence commot for their body.
The first thing I noticed since relocating abroad is that kids here are very self confident. They can look you in the eye and have a very good conversation with you.
I know liberals here in the US will rather have their kids run in autopilot mode which is very wrong but just like I said we can take the best of both worlds and raise our kids accordingly.
This is one of the major reason why 1st generation immigrants kids usually do way better than American kids.
Okay
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Advision: 4:35pm On Mar 27, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Please stop praying and go get him to see a child therapist. That boy does not need "deliverance", what he needs is special attention, and the clues you get from therapists can help you better understand and give him the kind of attention he needs.. undecided

Not to discount your good advice, but really do you think prayer isnt necessary?

Also, why do we look down on everything African?

The white men have their way of dealing with this, Africans also have their way. I for one, know the African way works quite well. Let us not be brainwashed into thinking the whiteman's way is always better.

I for one know if I can get him to Nigeria for 3-4 years he will be straightened up, I am concern about the emotional toll of family seperation
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Kobojunkie: 4:57pm On Mar 27, 2022
Advision:
1. Not to discount your good advice, but really do you think prayer isnt necessary?

2. Also, why do we look down on everything African? The white men have their way of dealing with this, Africans also have their way. I for one, know the African way works quite well. Let us not be brainwashed into thinking the whiteman's way is always better.

3. I for one know if I can get him to Nigeria for 3-4 years he will be straightened up, I am concern about the emotional toll of family seperation
1. Prayer does not remove from a parent his or her responsibility towards the child in this case - what is needed is àction on the part of the one praying. undecided

2. No one is saying you should look down on everything African, what most are instead admitting to is that Nigerians didn't get it right as far as child-rearing and benefit of child is concerned. Nigerians raise there kids in much similar fashion as they raise chicken and cows... for the long term benefits of the owners and not the children themselves. undecided

3. He will be straightened to suit whom? You, or his own emotional and mental health? undecided

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Vikelo1212: 5:24pm On Mar 27, 2022
klassyguy:

Hence the reason why you choose to use the condescending tone you're using to refer to another person's kid. I get it, we are on a faceless platform where you can air your utterances freely. My kid is not going through any kind of hell. You wouldn't like it if someone speaks of your three boys like that. My boy is a very lively and lovely kid. Everyone he meets sees him as a very bright kid. He just has some behavioral issues which I believe is normal for a boy his age. I posted this topic to seek opinions on how to tackle them, not to hear insults, so kindly refrain from acting like you're a better parent than others cos you have it easy with yours. We are mature enough to share ideas on how to handle our children's development to make them better people without delving to the level of insults. Not all children are the same.

Pls, just ignore that guy. He seems to be so full of himself. Don't respond to his utterances.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by olawalesammy(m): 6:45am On Mar 28, 2022
klassyguy:
I have two lovely kids with my wife - a girl and a boy. My son is six years old while his sister is eight. Both were born here in the US. I’ve done what I feel is right as a father to train these kids, but I know not everything can be done accordingly.

My son is restless. He has the attention span of three seconds before he gets distracted by something else. My mum tells says he is a copy of me when I was his age, but that was in the eighties and the way children were handled back then is totally different from today. He hardly wants to do anything in terms of school work and almost every day I get complaints from his teacher that he does not do his work or he is disruptive in class. When other students are doing their work, my son will be the one falling off his chair or hiding under his desk. His teacher told me he acts out when being corrected. Only yesterday my wife told me the teacher met her when she went to pick them up in school and told her that my son started yelling when the lights in the class started flickering. His behavior got so bad, they had to call the school security officer before he calmed down.

This behavior is really bothering me. I know my son is smart. His pre-school teacher once told me he was the smartest student she had. My son can do complex mathematical equations off the top of his head that even his older sister struggles to do. He has a very good memory and can list off all the types of trains that exist in the US, things that even I don’t know. It’s sitting down to be serious about work that he can’t do and can’t seem to focus on.

I enrolled him in a soccer club to see if that would help him expel his excess energy. At first he seemed to be lazy as he gets frustrated easily, and rather try harder, my son would rather give up and cry. I mostly have to encourage him to put in more effort, and most of the time he does not pay attention to what the coach says. The coach told me a couple of days ago that he wants to move him to a lower group level to see if he can build his confidence there.

I want to believe it’s his being the last born for now that’s worrying him. He seemed to start being a bit more mature when my wife got pregnant last year and he learnt they had a younger sibling on the way, but unfortunately, she miscarried and we lost the baby. I’ve been thinking for a while now whether to move back to Nigeria with everyone so that we can build some sense into both of them (my daughter’s story is another one). I’ve thought of taking them both for an ADHD test, but my wife is against that. The only time my son pays attention is when he’s doing something he likes, and that is when he’s playing the PS5 I got them or watching videos on YouTube Kids.

Any advice would be welcome from parents out there.
Do you go go church , do you pray together , do you teach him the way of the lord ?

The best way to bring up a child his a Godly way
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nagasaki7: 7:08am On Mar 28, 2022
Nagasaki7:
Does your son display separation anxiety. I.e wants to always stay around you or his mom? Does he follow you or his mom around?
Has he restrictive feeding habit like specific food or nothing? Not wanting to eat.
Is he aggressive and throwing tantrums, self injurious when he didn't get what he wanted
Does he cry or laugh without obvious reasons.
Has his writing deteriorated from what it use to be?
Does he display obsessive like behaviours e.g specific clothes or colours?
Does panic whenever there is loud sound, bright light.
Does he understand facial expressions?
Does he play with other kids, share things with others, has friends?...
I don't think the OP has seen this! cool
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by LordReed(m): 7:41am On Mar 28, 2022
klassyguy:

Hence the reason why you choose to use the condescending tone you're using to refer to another person's kid. I get it, we are on a faceless platform where you can air your utterances freely. My kid is not going through any kind of hell. You wouldn't like it if someone speaks of your three boys like that. My boy is a very lively and lovely kid. Everyone he meets sees him as a very bright kid. He just has some behavioral issues which I believe is normal for a boy his age. I posted this topic to seek opinions on how to tackle them, not to hear insults, so kindly refrain from acting like you're a better parent than others cos you have it easy with yours. We are mature enough to share ideas on how to handle our children's development to make them better people without delving to the level of insults. Not all children are the same.

Yeah Kobojunkie can be condescending at times but generally he means well within the limits of his humanity. He is right though on the hell part but not in the way you took it. I had a relatively average upbringing, my parents did not mistreat me and did a good job of providing even though they struggled but when I grew up I began to realise I did suffer hell but it was completely internal. I think this is what Kobojunkie is referring to, your kid might be having really tough internal struggles that he has no words to use to express. This is not your fault at all but it does give you more impetus to get him to a child therapist ASAP so you can get a handle on things. Wish you all a good life.

2 Likes

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by klassyguy(m): 7:44pm On Mar 28, 2022
Nagasaki7:

1.Does your son display separation anxiety. I.e wants to always stay around you or his mom? Does he follow you or his mom around?
2.Has he restrictive feeding habit like specific food or nothing? Not wanting to eat.
3.Is he aggressive and throwing tantrums, self injurious when he didn't get what he wanted
4.Does he cry or laugh without obvious reasons.
5.Has his writing deteriorated from what it use to be?
6.Does he display obsessive like behaviours e.g specific clothes or colours?
7.Does panic whenever there is loud sound, bright light.
8.Does he understand facial expressions?
9.Does he play with other kids, share things with others, has friends?

1. He does not display separation anxiety. More often than not he likes to play alone without being disturbed.
2. He does not have any restrictive feeding, though he likes to choose what he eats. But the guy dey chow no be small.
3. He is not aggressive. In actual sense he is calm like me. He usually fusses once every now and then, but not to the extent that he injures himself.
4 Nope. He does not do any of those.
5. His handwriting is the same. It hasn't changed.
6. Nope, the little due wears anything clean and available.
7. The funny thing is he does not panic when there's any loud sounds or bright lights. The day he reacted in school was the first time it happened. I did a quick test over the weekend by repeatedly switching the lights on and off, and all he asked was why was I playing with the light like that.
8. He does. He can also read our moods.
9. He has quite a few friends. Like I mentioned, he is a very open and friendly kid. The only thing is he is the only boy among all the kids with our family friends. His only male friends are in his class. If any of them come around, he shares his toys and they all have a good time when they are all together.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Kobojunkie: 7:48pm On Mar 28, 2022
olawalesammy:
Do you go go church , do you pray together , do you teach him the way of the lord ?
The best way to bring up a child his a Godly way
And pray tell, by godly way do you mean taking the child for deliverance instead of going to visit a child therapist in this case? undecided

Most of you who pretend to raise your children God's way don't even understand what that way is. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by klassyguy(m): 8:05pm On Mar 28, 2022
LordReed:

Yeah Kobojunkie can be condescending at times but generally he means well within the limits of his humanity. He is right though on the hell part but not in the way you took it. I had a relatively average upbringing, my parents did not mistreat me and did a good job of providing even though they struggled but when I grew up I began to realise I did suffer hell but it was completely internal. I think this is what Kobojunkie is referring to, your kid might be having really tough internal struggles that he has no words to use to express. This is not your fault at all but it does give you more impetus to get him to a child therapist ASAP so you can get a handle on things. Wish you all a good life.

I beg to disagree. I know exactly what was meant by "hell". I know for the first five years here in the US we had it a bit tough, but my wife and I made sure the kids did not lack in any way. My son has no issue communicating with me. If he was struggling mentally, I would know. He tells me anything that's bothering him. He once told me one of the kids in a higher grade tried to bully him during recess by telling him to "go back to your jungle". I had to call the school authorities who looked into the matter and they found out it was true. They had the parents of the kid apologize to me and the kid apologize to my son. So if it comes to communication, he knows I got him covered.

I spoke to my mum over the weekend (she's a registered nurse and has also worked with kids in the past) and asked if I was ever tested for ADHD when I was around his age. She told me my school advised I get tested then as I was so restless, but it came out negative. That I was just naturally active. So at least there's that. But having monitored him for a few days now, he has been very calm and not acting overly excited. Maybe it's due to the soccer games he had over the weekend.

I've already made an appointment with his doctor, so I'll wait and see.

Thanks alot for your concern.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by LordReed(m): 9:33pm On Mar 28, 2022
klassyguy:

I beg to disagree. I know exactly what was meant by "hell". I know for the first five years here in the US we had it a bit tough, but my wife and I made sure the kids did not lack in any way. My son has no issue communicating with me. If he was struggling mentally, I would know. He tells me anything that's bothering him. He once told me one of the kids in a higher grade tried to bully him during recess by telling him to "go back to your jungle". I had to call the school authorities who looked into the matter and they found out it was true. They had the parents of the kid apologize to me and the kid apologize to my son. So if it comes to communication, he knows I got him covered.

I spoke to my mum over the weekend (she's a registered nurse and has also worked with kids in the past) and asked if I was ever tested for ADHD when I was around his age. She told me my school advised I get tested then as I was so restless, but it came out negative. That I was just naturally active. So at least there's that. But having monitored him for a few days now, he has been very calm and not acting overly excited. Maybe it's due to the soccer games he had over the weekend.

I've already made an appointment with his doctor, so I'll wait and see.

Thanks alot for your concern.

Wish you the best.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by klassyguy(m): 2:12pm On Mar 29, 2022
To those of you trying to reach out to me privately on DM, I apologize. I no longer have access to the email I used to create this NL account.
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 06, 2022
Advision:

Not to discount your good advice, but really do you think prayer isnt necessary?

Also, why do we look down on everything African?

The white men have their way of dealing with this, Africans also have their way. I for one, know the African way works quite well. Let us not be brainwashed into thinking the whiteman's way is always better.

I for one know if I can get him to Nigeria for 3-4 years he will be straightened up, I am concern about the emotional toll of family seperation
Prayer maybe necessary alongside an intervention and should not be your only go to if that makes sense .Remember God created the child therapist and gave them the wisdom that would help your child.

1 Like

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Mmirinma: 1:56am On Apr 07, 2022
klassyguy:

Thank you very much. The funny thing is i do not even allow them to watch anything until the weekend. They know they have their school work to do each time they get home.

One issue I figured is my son gets bored easily. He gets tired of things once he has done them more than twice or thrice. When I call and tell him we would work on his homeworks when I get home, more often than not he would have done them before I get home. He is the kind of kid who can't sit still in one place for long and gets distracted, which was how I was when I was his age. That's why I decided to enroll him into the U8 soccer team he is. He has been there for a few weeks now and i hope that helps him.
Maybe your son is under stimulated hence his frustration with repetitive actions. Try giving him activities way above him and study his problem solving skills. If his school does IQ tests have him tested above his grade level. You may have a gifted kid but if care is not taken the system will label it whatever they want and place him on harmful drugs. Also check his diet, some of the dyes and preservatives used in the states are known to make kids hyperactive.

3 Likes

Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Magnoliaa(f): 10:34am On Apr 07, 2022
shogsman:
You have a serious poverty oriented mindset

grin grin
Re: My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand by Magnoliaa(f): 10:36am On Apr 07, 2022
Adesina18111:
Bring him to Nigeria, Ajegunle or Orile iganmu to be precise...he go learn from the street... too much joy dey affect him sad sad sad

grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

So This Is Marriage? / Man To Pay N800,000 To Marry Dead Woman As Wife / My Mother Threatens To Commit Suicide If I Don't Leave The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.