Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,907 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

I Thought My Cough & Loss Of Taste Was Covid, Now I’m Facing A Death Sentence - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Thought My Cough & Loss Of Taste Was Covid, Now I’m Facing A Death Sentence (394 Views)

I slept with several prostitute raw..I Thought I Had Hiv, Narrow escape / How Can I Recover Back My Sense Of Taste And Smell? / Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Thought My Cough & Loss Of Taste Was Covid, Now I’m Facing A Death Sentence by FullBlastLight: 7:08pm On Mar 28, 2022
I thought my cough and loss of taste was Covid but now I’m facing a death sentence.

A GRANDMOTHER was convinced her cough and loss of taste was down to Covid, but tests revealed a shocking diagnosis.

Julie Smith was so adamant she must have the virus she took four Covid tests, before going to the doctor.

But tests showed she tragically actually had terminal lung cancer , which had already spread all over her body. The 73-year-old had decided to get checked out after returning from a family holiday.

She told the BBC: "From 'you're not ill' and then to be diagnosed with all this, I just can't believe it.

"I had nothing wrong with me apart from a cough and then a couple of weeks later my taste started to go. I'd had all my Covid injections so I thought 'well I'll be alright, but I'll just have Covid'.

"My husband was sobbing, as were my son and daughter. But I've had a lot of tears since. None of us can believe it."

The retired hospital housekeeper from Pontypridd, in Rhondda Cynon Taf, had started to cough in September 2021 after a family holiday, but kept returning negative Covid tests.

After neighbours heard her coughing persistently during the night she went to get a check up.

Tragically the tests found her cancer had gone to her lymph nodes and bones, with treatment no longer possible.

In an extra blow, the diagnosis came four months after her former partner, and dad of her two kids, died from lung cancer.

Julie had chemo and is having immunotherapy to give her more time.

She said: "I worry about the children and how they're all going to cope.

"It's been so frightening, I just only hope with immunotherapy that I will have a lot longer."

Doctors have been calling for targeted screening in Wales to find lung cancer earlier.

Julie has backed this, adding: "What was frightening is that I had no symptoms.

"I had nothing wrong with me except this cough. You just don't know you've got it so screening would be brilliant."

Around 47,000 people in the UK are diagnosed with lung cancer every year.

In the first stages of the illness there are usually no symptoms and these only usually become visible in the later stages.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/18066396/cough-covid-mistake-lung-cancer/amp/

Re: I Thought My Cough & Loss Of Taste Was Covid, Now I’m Facing A Death Sentence by Shalommy(f): 7:18pm On Mar 28, 2022
She's old already,no need to be scared. Chaii
Re: I Thought My Cough & Loss Of Taste Was Covid, Now I’m Facing A Death Sentence by dawnomike(m): 7:26pm On Mar 28, 2022
Shalommy:
She's old already,no need to be scared. Chaii
Really? May we not be terminally ill... It is a terrible thing no matter the age
Re: I Thought My Cough & Loss Of Taste Was Covid, Now I’m Facing A Death Sentence by immortalcrown(m): 7:33pm On Mar 28, 2022
Hmm! So even oyibo dey do quack diagnosis?
Re: I Thought My Cough & Loss Of Taste Was Covid, Now I’m Facing A Death Sentence by Sunmolar(m): 7:55pm On Mar 28, 2022
Since the husband died of lung cancer, the handwriting is already on the wall. It may tb related. But if the results of the husband test is tb.... it's a public health issue.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Stop My Addiction For Coke? / Help! I Discovered A Boil On One Of My Testicles / Top 8 Best Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.