Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,734 members, 7,831,337 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? (28210 Views)

Nigerians React To 400L Student Of Unilorin Who Finds It Difficult To Express He / Why Foreign Graduates Find It Hard To Get A Job In Nigeria / How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Kingpin1000: 9:57am On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
I remembered a graduate guy like that, who had a girl child with a lady when he had not gone to the University then. When this guy went to the University and graduated, he became arrogant and started looking down on the lady that had a girl child with him. Funny enough, if u hear this guy English ehn! Na cut and join English him dey Speak. whereas, the lady was just an S.S.C.E holder. Her English even get hope for where him own dey.

I Find out, na people wey no know book dey speak english pass.
When the said guy, went to the university, He was mocked and intimidated due to his low self esteem, He could only transfer his aggression to his wife. Which is stupidity.
I saw there like when I was in school. For village meeting na dem blow grammar pass but their CGPA,dey crawl like snail.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Boogyman557: 10:15am On Mar 30, 2022
Joelobioha:
thunder faya boogeyman
Holly Gram cool LoLz

my Gee!

WTF MAN!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by silibaba: 10:27am On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant. The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking. Has anyone met such graduate?

The best graduating student in my department (mech. Engr.) don't even know how to speak English. He's a genius. He broke our department record that year. Even got As in his English courses in year 1. Is not about speaking it.

Funny enough, he was always busy playing PlayStation. You hardly see him read.

He later told me that the only time he learn is when the lecturer is in front of us. He make sure he understand everything at the lecture hall there. Once he understand the topic, he will solve any problem related to that topic.

People no longer look at grammar anymore, result matters now.

Nigeria hosted Ghana yesterday, nobody looked at ball possession, shot on target etc. What we are concern with is final RESULT.

13 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Prolificgiant(m): 10:34am On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
True. It's not necessary that one must express himself/herself with big, big grammar. Atleast, one should be able to express himself/herself in way that people won't doubt his/her education Degree or doubt if this person is really educated or really went to school.
you are right because going to school now is very expensive
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 10:39am On Mar 30, 2022
Kingpin1000:

I Find out, na people wey no know book dey speak english pass.
When the said guy, went to the university, He was mocked and intimidated due to his low self esteem, He could only transfer his aggression to his wife. Which is stupidity.
I saw there like when I was in school. For village meeting na dem blow grammar pass but their CGPA,dey crawl like snail.
This was a lady who was with him when he had nothing, had a girl child with him, when he had not gotten admission to school then. The lady and her parents would look after the child, whether he brings something to support or not. Now, my guy don graduate come dey form level for her like; u are not my class.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Nobody: 10:49am On Mar 30, 2022
silibaba:

The best graduating student in my department (mech. Engr.) don't even know how to speak English. He's a genius. He broke our department record that year. Even got As in his English courses in year 1. Is not about speaking it.

Funny enough, he was always busy playing PlayStation. You hardly see him read.

He later told me that the only time he learn is when the lecturer is in front of us. He make sure he understand everything at the lecture hall there. Once he understand the topic, he will solve any problem related to that topic.

People no longer look at grammar anymore, result matters now.

Nigeria hosted Ghana yesterday, nobody looked at ball possession, shot on target etc. What we are concern with is final RESULT.
Communication skills have always been and will always be invaluable.
No matter the quality of the contents of your brain, being able to effectively and efficiently communicate them is a priceless skill in any corporate environment, the world over.

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Notyourfrienddd: 11:07am On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
English is not a measure of intelligence, it's just a foreign Language.
Once you can understand the message they're trying to pass... it's cool

A very wretched excuse

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 1Sharon(f): 11:20am On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:

Isn't Christianity a foreign religion?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Herculex03(m): 11:23am On Mar 30, 2022
I don't think it's a problem,it must be a pandemic cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by silibaba: 11:24am On Mar 30, 2022
Kellzzyy:

No matter the quality of the contents of your brain, being able to effectively and efficiently communicate them is a priceless skill in any corporate environment, the world over.

That skill you talked about can be learnt in Africa magic, not necessary in school.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Nobody: 11:29am On Mar 30, 2022
Kellzzyy:

Exactly! This is what a lot of people fail to realise. The sad part is a lot of them don't even speak any other language fluently.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 30, 2022
silibaba:

That skill you talked about can be learnt in Africa magic, not necessary in school.

Where you learn it doesn't matter.
What matters is that you are able to communicate properly in the required language.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 1:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Therefore, education could be acquired in any language.
Out of this personal development is 'exposure'.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
German speaks their language
Spanish speaks theirs
Portuguese with theirs as well.

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.
Being Educated and having skills, value, moral or whatever are two different things. A person maybe educated but may not be learned a person or vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by LordIsaac(m): 1:18pm On Mar 30, 2022
You can't give what you don't have, that's why.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Contekbbc: 1:36pm On Mar 30, 2022
ScorpionStudio:

You wey sabi speak good English ... How many cars or house do you get Mtcheew

Ha ha ha
You're wicked!
What an Emotional damage!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Contekbbc: 1:43pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
This was a lady who was with him when he had nothing, had a girl child with him, when he had not gotten admission to school then. The lady and her parents would look after the child, whether he brings something to support or not. Now, my guy don graduate come dey form level for her like; u are not my class.

Mr prof.
Pls,check your English
You also need a teacher.

Have you all noticed that people that seem to know more get to be the ones that know less?
Mr OP is a perfect example.

Laugh wan kee me hear! grin grin grin
And for the record;
I don't know what's responsible for this,but I know that people with bad English tend to make more money.

Before you doubt me,start analysing those people around and you will find out that they speak terrible English and yet,they are terribly and stinkingly rich.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 1:58pm On Mar 30, 2022
Contekbbc:

Mr prof.
Pls,check your English
You also need a teacher.

Have you all noticed that people that seem to know more get to be the ones that know less?
Mr OP is a perfect example.

Laugh wan kee me hear! grin grin grin
And for the record;
I don't know what's responsible for this,but I know that people with bad English tend to make more money.

Before you doubt me,start analysing those people around and you will find out that they speak terrible English and yet,they are terribly and stinkingly rich.
Bro, i am not a Prof. My point is that, they shouldn't be arrogant and pompous. By they way, not all of them are stinkingly rich. Many of them that i have met are under employed or jobless.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by silibaba: 2:00pm On Mar 30, 2022
Kellzzyy:

Where you learn it doesn't matter.
What matters is that you are able to communicate properly in the required language.

I hear you ooo.
Is okay.

You will tell me if Americans can speak your own language. Mtcheeew
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Shineoneday: 2:36pm On Mar 30, 2022
Lol... Lot of Nigerians ain't smiling at all esp during this period where it seem like the hardship is tripped so putting up a thread like this will bring out or create a medium for people to vent out their frustration cos honestly speaking to an average man English language is the least of his problem, as long they can communicate, their main concern is to hustle for their daily bread,
Things r hard, people r getting frustrated every day

In my own opinion as a student or graduate u shouldn't be struggling to express yourself in English..... E get y

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
silibaba:

I hear you ooo.
Is okay.

You will tell me if Americans can speak your own language. Mtcheeew
Did they learn your language from primary through tertiary institutions?
Do they need your language to communicate within their corporate environment?
You learn English because of the above stated reasons. You have no excuse not to be sufficiently good in it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Danzakidakura(m): 4:20pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because English is not out native language. Britains also find it difficult to speak Jaba or Igbo language.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Goldbw122(m): 4:27pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?
when you communicate to people in the public you speak non English you know pigin English, so you won't have the opportunity to speak English all the time.. but when you get among your educational colleague then you will be free to speak English when they speak with you too, so that is how it is when you travel to foreign country you will understand..
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Observer007(m): 4:27pm On Mar 30, 2022
angry
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Freelane33(m): 4:28pm On Mar 30, 2022
No be everybody whey go school lokawe
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by ednut1(m): 4:28pm On Mar 30, 2022
Mostly due to substandard primary schools in local or rural areas. Na where the wahala start

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by MrJames007: 4:28pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because dem no go school to study English.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Observer007(m): 4:28pm On Mar 30, 2022
If you ask me, na who I go ask?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Ramisake: 4:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
see below
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by youngblaq: 4:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
Dey dia dey deceive yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Newton2024: 4:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
How can you understand their message when their English is below average?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by elocas: 4:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
Borrowed Language

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by GloriousGbola: 4:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:

Waz ep babie
Ow u doins
Wld lyke to get ya knewl ya
Uz mayk my fart zo. Gikigikigiki bumbum!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Apply For Fully-Funded Scholarships At Kyushu University, Japan 2018 / Pre-degree A.b.u Zaria Remedial Programme. time for discussion / Before All Our Children Become Entertainers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.