Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,162 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? (28107 Views)

Nigerians React To 400L Student Of Unilorin Who Finds It Difficult To Express He / Why Foreign Graduates Find It Hard To Get A Job In Nigeria / How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Tats(m): 5:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
It is simple. Standard of education is poor and Teaching standards have dropped. This is not about using complex words. It is just constructing basic correct sentences and using right grammar. It is no wonder that Nigerians are made to write English Language exams in order to get into universities in some foreign countries.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 5:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
tayo60:
Because English is not their mother tongue
sherylbaky:
English is not a measure of intelligence, it's just a foreign Language.
Once you can understand the message they're trying to pass... it's cool

Obviously, it goes without saying that English proficiency is not synonymous with intelligence….

However, until we start writing and publishing and teaching in Igbarra, Efik, Nupe, Itsekiri, Gbarim, and all other 400-plus Nigerian indigenous languages and dialect, it is extremely RELEVANT to academic and professional capacity in Nigeria.

Even if English is not their “mother tongue”, by the time anyone graduates from university (assuming the 6-3-3-4 educational system - which often lasts even much longer because of ASUU strikes), they would have been studying English, and/or in English, for a minimum of 10-15 years! Anyone who cannot achieve proficiency in any subject that they have studied (or purportedly used) for that length of time (and which they likely get to “practice” regularly, if not daily) calls into question their intellectual capacity (or “measure of intelligence”, as one of the comments above put it). If you cannot master English after 10-15 years of studying and practicing it, what gives anyone any rational confidence that you have mastered Law or Engineering, which you have only studied (and rarely practice) over a 3 or 4 years?! Even more probative, these subjects are taught in English language in our schools and universities.

Abegi, let’s quit making excuses for MEDIOCRITY. The Nigerian reality is that teachers cannot convey what they do not know!
>
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by silibaba: 5:48pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyiboman69:
the funny thing Is that many English people don't even know how to construct simple sentence then I ask my self if what they are teaching us over here here is the correct thing....

On point

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Charly68: 5:48pm On Mar 30, 2022
The problem is foundation.. they were given poor training from primary school .. can't you see that it is the children who went to good primary and secondary schools that speaks good English ?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by yassinattah(m): 5:49pm On Mar 30, 2022
tayo60:
Because English is not their mother tongue

Then what has he been using to write exams to pass,my guess is his or her mother tongue isn't it?

Make it and make sense nah
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by achorladey: 5:50pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?

Lagabja get reason for singing the song titled...... Vernacular ft Fela Anikulapo.

L1 go remain L1 while L2 go remain L2. Even those who major in English will tell you same. No matter how expert that individual is in speaking the language. Na still L2

Na reason why some recruitment agencies will always seek whether the speaker of the language is

1. A beginner

2. Intermediate

3. Expert

e. t. c

A graduate that cannot speak his/her L1 fluently nko?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 5:50pm On Mar 30, 2022
LocalMan2:

The evidence that you are a graduate is not based on how well you exercise with dictions and grammars, but based on the application of the learning process, the things you can remember after school. I have friends that speaks Polished Queens English like you but are broke, and I know people that don't believe in English construction that graduates are working under.
Just stay humble it's not about English.
Ur last sentence has said it all. And that's my point. Just stay humble, it's not about English. It's their arrogance and pride that prompted me to create this thread.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by highness25(m): 5:51pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Prof, na which one correct? grin
na question I ask oo, me self wan learn
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by jaxxy(m): 5:51pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

I noticed this and cringe abit bt then maybe cos English isn't our indigenous language just like French don't speak good English.

Bt these people speak the bad English like they think they are right with no apologies. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Juoflife1(f): 5:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Doctors are busy saving life's. Engineers are thinking and finding solutions to problems. Nigerians in nairaland are bothered about speaking English. We have over 150 countries in the world, how many speak English? It took a non English speaking person to teach me how to correctly pronounce my "core" English surname, going by the alphabets.
If I have my way, I will unlearn the English language. It's an overrated piece of junk.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Backlaw406(m): 5:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Therefore, education could be acquired in any language.
Out of this personal development is 'exposure'.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
German speaks their language
Spanish speaks theirs
Portuguese with theirs as well.

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.
Exactly, you got it right.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 5:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyiboman69:
the funny thing Is that many English people don't even know how to construct simple sentence then I ask my self if what they are teaching us over here here is the correct thing....

Do you think “illiteracy” is a Nigerian term or concept?
Of course there are English people who are ILLITERATE.

>

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Echara: 5:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Contekbbc:

Mr prof.
Pls,check your English
You also need a teacher.

Have you all noticed that people that seem to know more get to be the ones that know less?
Mr OP is a perfect example.

Laugh wan kee me hear! grin grin grin
And for the record;
I don't know what's responsible for this,but I know that people with bad English tend to make more money.

Before you doubt me,start analysing those people around and you will find out that they speak terrible English and yet,they are terribly and stinkingly rich.

You no lie bro. They just know how to create wealth. Go and listen to the owner of innoson motors, he's terrible with english language. But see his achievement.

They're many of them like that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 5:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
sunshine1974:
I had to quit a relationship because of that. Very lovely girl but mennnnn, when she speaks you must look around. I tried my best, bought her books and tried everything possible but it didn't work, so I had to quit.

Lol.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by airsaylongcome: 5:56pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
I'm not rating their intellectual ability with that. Atleast, when one is educated, it should be evident in the way he or she expresses himself/herself. Some of them even lack Intellectual Capacity. Many of them that i have met, can't even speak other languages let alone English language. These same folks would be bragging abt their education Degree, feeling arrogant and pompous yet they can't even express themselves well in the public.

Do these "other languages" include our local languages like Hausa, Yoruba or Igbo (or the several hundred other smaller languages)? English is not a yardstick for evaluating knowledge or intelligence

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Oluwasaudy(m): 5:57pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oyinbo hear yoruba

You yourself ...how many English you got type or express yourself in

Am sure you are here to spite a colleague at work ...

Bring a white man who can speak Yoruba fluently ...then i will now know how it is important to speak English

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by shigologo: 5:57pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
I'm not rating their intellectual ability with that. Atleast, when one is educated, it should be evident in the way he or she expresses himself/herself. Some of them even lack Intellectual Capacity. Many of them that i have met, can't even speak other languages let alone English language. These same folks would be bragging abt their education Degree, feeling arrogant and pompous yet they can't even express themselves well in the public.
You are spot on.
Anyone who schools in an anglophone country where English is the means through which education is acquired should not have any justification for not being able to express himself with that same language. What is what doing is what doing right. However, like someone said, miracle centers have succeded in aiding the destruction of the system.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 5:58pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:
Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
Spanish speaks theirs

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.

Those folks have textbooks and academic literature, and are taught, in their languages (even same for most Arabs)…
In contrast, in Nigeria you cannot claim optimal “education” if you are struggling with the language of instruction and/or learning.
>

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by familier(m): 5:59pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because they feel so perhaps
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Contekbbc: 6:00pm On Mar 30, 2022
Echara:

You no lie bro. They just know how to create wealth. Go and listen to the owner of innoson motors, he's terrible with english language. But see his achievement.

They're many of them like that.
God bless you bro
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by achorladey: 6:00pm On Mar 30, 2022
9jaRealist:

Do you think “illiteracy” is a Nigerian term or concept?
Of course there are English people who are ILLITERATE.

>

An individual that can speak his L1 fluently and convey whatever ideas or knowledge using that L1. Is that individual an illiterate?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by macville2: 6:03pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

I don't know why it seems to me as though when a question is asked here, some people leave it and start answering another thing.

Back to the question.
Well, I can't seem to really figure it out because I my self being a graduate started noticing my English fluency dwindling especially since I left school and started mixing with people. Will I say it's because of the environment I work in at the moment, of which most of the workers are not so privileged to go the university. So I get to hear grammatical blunders alot. And of late I started noticing that when I am before the director (who is learned up-to PhD) I can't communicate fluently at his frequency. And he sort of sees me as a graduate, reason why he communicates to me at the level which he doesn't do with other staffs. And I am becoming a bit concerned really, because i feel he might start being disappointed with me.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 6:05pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:

Spanish speaks theirs

By the way, I AGREE with you that education is essentially personal and professional development (skill acquisition in contrast is “training” which many Nigerians, with the obsession over certificates, often confuse with “education”), and therefore can be acquired in ANY language.

Nonetheless, if you are an academic or professional in Nigeria, proficiency in the language of instruction and/or learning should be a MINIMUM requirement - and whether we like or not, that’s currently (and probably for the foreseeable future) English language!
>

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by iamdapsyj(m): 6:06pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?

This is a misconception bro.....I could recall about 7 years ago I had an argument with a friend who had the same line of thought as you regarding this English speaking matter.

Intelligence is way different from English speaking. Chinese, Germans, French and some of the wealthy nations speak bad English but they are doing well in their various field of endeavour.

The only point that you can outline here is that, since Nigerian students are been taught in English, they should try as much as possible to master the craft of speaking it. But that is different from what you posted up there.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 6:07pm On Mar 30, 2022
achorladey:
.An individual that can speak his L1 fluently and convey whatever ideas or knowledge using that L1. Is that individual an illiterate?

Illiteracy is NOT stupidity…
>

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Lacash: 6:08pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

Forget English man, make money…Money speaks fluently with some bad imported accent. grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Arkmanbuddy(m): 6:11pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?

What is the evidence that the average Chinese working for CCECC in Nigeria is educated, even when they can't speak a word in English?

Can you say the average French man/woman who only speaks French is uneducated because they can't speak English?

Na wa for you o!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Immunity04: 6:11pm On Mar 30, 2022
Op stop disturbing us o, English isn't your mother tongue and so can never be a yardstick to determine Intelligence, you yourself cannot even pass IELTS comfortablly without constant practice[color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by mrksquare: 6:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

As my boss in a coy I work with remotely in United States will say, English is the most difficult language to learn. She always commend we, Nigerians for having an impeccable command of English.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by compton11(m): 6:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
well he can express himself well in another language!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Johnboom: 6:13pm On Mar 30, 2022
Universities do not teach you grammar. If you are not good in Secondary School forget it. You are only taught in 100 level .

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Arkmanbuddy(m): 6:14pm On Mar 30, 2022
sherylbaky:

Spanish speaks theirs

Gbamsolutely!!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Lagos Government Shuts Chrisland School Over Whitney Adeniran’s Death / Condition Of Rivers State University Hostel: Pics & Video / Bukola Zoffun Emerges Lagos State One-Day Governor (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.