Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? (28126 Views)

Nigerians React To 400L Student Of Unilorin Who Finds It Difficult To Express He / Why Foreign Graduates Find It Hard To Get A Job In Nigeria / How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by pansophist(m): 6:15pm On Mar 30, 2022
tayo60:
Because English is not their mother tongue

Pidgin is not their mother tongue as well, how can are they fluent in it?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 6:19pm On Mar 30, 2022
Arkmanbuddy:
What is the evidence that the average Chinese working for CCECC in Nigeria is educated, even when they can't speak a word in English?

Can you day the average French man/woman who only speaks French is uneducated because they can't speak English?

Na wa for you o!
iamdapsyj:
This is a misconception bro.....I could recall about 7 years ago I had an argument with a friend who had the same line of thought as you regarding this English speaking matter.

Intelligence is way different from English speaking. Chinese, Germans, French and some of the wealthy nations speak bad English but they are doing well in their various field of endeavour.

The only point that you can outline here is that, since Nigerian students are been taught in English, they should try as much as possible to master the craft of speaking it. But that is different from what you posted up there.

Absolutely agree that “intelligence is way different from English speaking” but…
Those folks have textbooks and academic literature, and are taught, in their languages (even same for most Arabs)!

In Nigeria, where our academic textbooks and literature are virtually all in English language, there really shouldn’t be any rational excuses why any Nigerian graduate, who has purportedly studied in English (and/or English) for a minimum of 10-15 years (under the 6-3-3-4 system), should be struggling with the basics of the language of learning and instruction.

We shouldn’t be making excuses for blatant MEDIOCRITY in Nigeria…
Nonetheless, I don’t blame Nigerian graduates, because the reality is most of their teachers are even WORSE.
>

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Investorgee: 6:19pm On Mar 30, 2022
Same thing that makes them not be able to speak good English is the same thing that makes English people not be able to speak their mother language.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by achorladey: 6:19pm On Mar 30, 2022
9jaRealist:

Illiteracy is NOT stupidity…
>

My question is not based on stupidity
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by achorladey: 6:21pm On Mar 30, 2022
9jaRealist:

Absolutely agree that “intelligence is way different from English speaking” but…
Those folks have textbooks and academic literature, and are taught, in their languages (even same for most Arabs)!

In Nigeria, where our academic textbooks and literature are virtually all in English language, there really shouldn’t be any rational excuses for any Nigerian graduate, who has purportedly studied in English (and/or English) for a minimum of 10-15 years (under the 6-3-3-4 system), should be struggling with the basics of the language of learning and instruction.

We shouldn’t be making excuses for blatant MEDIOCRITY in Nigeria…
Nonetheless, I don’t blame Nigerian graduates, because the reality is most of their teachers are even WORSE.
>

Read again and see the contradictions.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 6:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
Investorgee:
Same thing that makes them not be able to speak good English is the same thing that makes English people not be able to speak their mother language.

Let’s quit making excuses for MEDIOCRITY…
English people do not study in your own mother language for a MINIMUM of 10-15 years. Those who do, often nail it.
>

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by rayval(m): 6:23pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Has anyone met such graduate?

Are you asking about arrogant people or people who can’t speak English?

Education is not for learning to speak English.

Some can speak and have no Education and no sense

Some are 50x smarter than you. But can’t speak English like you expect.

It is funny how people see speaking English as intelligence. (in Nigeria)

If you don’t understand, go out of Nigeria and visit diverse companies.. speak it the way you know it.. Just know your onions

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2022
achorladey:
Read again and see the contradictions.

There are NO contradictions…
We know the WHY, and should be redressing it instead of making excuses.
>
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by hkunle71(m): 6:27pm On Mar 30, 2022
Me is a gooding boy. I is very hear English. I am in born was England.Only I can speaker correct English inside this whole of a Nigeria. Everybody clapping for me. God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 6:31pm On Mar 30, 2022
rayval:
Are you asking about arrogant people or people who can’t speak English?

Education is not for learning to speak English.

Some can speak and have no Education and no sense

Some are 50x smarter than you. But can’t speak English like you expect.

It is funny how people see speaking English as intelligence. (in Nigeria)

If you don’t understand, go out of Nigeria and visit diverse companies.. speak it the way you know it.. Just know your onions

That’s not the OP’s point or question…
Rather, it’s essentially why Nigerian graduates who’s supposedly studied in English for a minimum of 12-15 years struggle with it.

Obviously, English proficiency is NOT intelligence…
Even education is NOT intelligence, but merely LEARNING.

Nonetheless, until we write academic books in our own 400-plus indigenous languages…
Proficiency in the language of instruction and learning in Nigeria is still a RELEVANT consideration.
>
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by achorladey: 6:32pm On Mar 30, 2022
9jaRealist:

There are NO contradictions…
We know the WHY, and should be redressing it instead of making excuses.
>

See the below

In Nigeria, where our academic textbooks and literature are virtually all in English language, there really shouldn’t be any rational excuses for any Nigerian graduate, who has purportedly studied in English (and/or English) for a minimum of 10-15 years (under the 6-3-3-4 system), should be struggling with the basics of the language of learning and instruction.

I don’t blame Nigerian graduates, because the reality is most of their teachers are even WORSE.

1. No excuse for Nigerian graduate

2. I don't blame Nigerian graduate.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Joexclusive: 6:32pm On Mar 30, 2022
The factors that contributes to this challenge are;
1. Environment
2. The sort of school
3. Peer Groups
4. Religious background.

Whatever you do consistently becomes a part of you, in other words it becomes your character, your value and your skill.

Graduates within this bracket are hugely influenced by the outline above and as long as you stick to this cycle, you can't, you won't, you'll never change and never grow.

Once you change your environment, your peer group then you'll be forced to grow and become a better speaking individual.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Kingsley1000(m): 6:32pm On Mar 30, 2022
macville2:

I don't know why it seems to me as though when a question is asked here, some people leave it and start answering another thing.

Back to the question.
Well, I can't seem to really figure it out because I my self being a graduate started noticing my English fluency dwindling especially since I left school and started mixing with people. Will I say it's because of the environment I work in at the moment, of which most of the workers are not so privileged to go the university. So I get to hear grammatical blunders alot. And of late I started noticing that when I am before the director (who is learned up-to PhD) I can't communicate fluently at his frequency. And he sort of sees me as a graduate, reason why he communicates to me at the level which he doesn't do with other staffs. And I am becoming a bit concerned really, because i feel he might start being disappointed with me.

Do you know you speak better English than Wike, Atiku, Innoson, Dangote,Otedola et al but they are far richer than you.
Do you know that most soccer players and coaches in England that have spent roughly 10yrs are still struggling with English language.

Ronald has spent 8yrs in England yet his English prowess is below average.
Hong Kong leader also speaks average English despite the fact that English is their first language not Mandarin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by achorladey: 6:34pm On Mar 30, 2022
9jaRealist:

That’s not the OP’s point or question…
Rather, it’s essentially why Nigerian graduates who’s supposedly studied in English for a minimum of 12-15 years struggle with it.

Even education is NOT intelligence, but merely LEARNING.

Nonetheless, until we write academic books in our own 400-plus indigenous languages…
Proficiency in the language of instruction and learning in Nigeria is still a RELEVANT consideration.
>

Interesting thought

Good, the reason English proficiency get grades, sometimes from beginner, intermediate, very good up to expert.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by deavicky(m): 6:37pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?
there are people whose course does not require English. We can mark u correct if ur spell fire as faya as long as you know where u are going

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by aribisala0(m): 6:37pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Why do you find it difficult to speak good Tiv or Itsekiri?

The fact that you consider this a priority only shows how colonized your mind is and also how oblivious you are to the damage that English has done to our psyche.
We need to do away with English and modernize our own languages .

It might interest you to know that Isaac Newton wrote his famous treatise
The Principia in Latin

And Latin which once used to be the language of the learned is now dead and no longer spoken.
English simply became what it is today by borrowing words from everywhere and so it is that Greek and Latin which enjoyed even greater prominence lost it. Ever wondered why there are so many Greek Alphabets in mathematics or why the new Testament was written in Greek when neither Jesus nor any of his followers spoke it?
Very few English people speak so called "Good English", most cannot. so why should we continue to "English Shame" people when they make errors. It is not natural to us and only entrenches a "second class" position.

I know this is all very difficult to swallow for those people from impoverished backgrounds who have put in so much effort into improving their English to then be told it is a waste but that is really what it is. Black Africans and by extension Nigerians are the only ones making this an issue. In the Swahili speaking area they are making moves to dump English.
Tanzania has done this and that is the first step to liberation. Why should we be told that our language is "vernacular" etc? It is a disgrace
At one point Ngugi Wa 'Thiongo said he was going to stop writing in English. A very admirable decision in my view.

One of the reasons Nigerian music is doing well internationally is that we retain our language rhythms

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Misterone: 6:37pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
Would u use ur mother tongue in a job interview?
go Bleep yourself. all these stupid job interviewers. that's why most of these companies fold up. instead of searching for result oriented personnels, they look for people that speak English and cannot do shit. at the end of the day, the company suffers.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by sukar886: 6:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
tayo60:
Because English is not their mother tongue
God bless u, nice answer
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by thatsleepboy1: 6:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by sukar886: 6:42pm On Mar 30, 2022
Who english help
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by kingmsookwagh(m): 6:43pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because they don't teach people how to speak English language in the university. If you didn't learn that in your primary and secondary school days, then forget about it.

Even the English (B.Art) we study in the university teaches the structure and components of the language and not how to speak it..
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by JomasisTech: 6:44pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

Do you speak good English? You said "funny enough" instead of "funnily enough."

English nah mates?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Nkemimoh(f): 6:44pm On Mar 30, 2022
Even some lecturers can't speak good English. I have one female lecturer like she speaks English demonstrating like deaf and dumb but if it comes to Yoruba speaking she's very good. English language is punishing her most times

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by aribisala0(m): 6:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
achorladey:

Interesting thought

Good, the reason English proficiency get grades, sometimes from beginner, intermediate, very good up to expert.
Even higher than expert is "Master" at which point you can make your own rules or even your own words as Chaucer did. That is a privilege for English folk so we should mind our business and pursue proficiency in our own languages .I do not see any expert speakers of Yoruba from England so I see no reason to become an expert user

"Hello, You I like , we go my house , we sleep, Good? " is all I need as I once learnt from a room mate who brought home a deaf and mute woman home one night and they were able to communicate
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 6:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
Juoflife1:
Doctors are busy saving life's. Engineers are thinking and finding solutions to problems. Nigerians in nairaland are bothered about speaking English. We have over 150 countries in the world, how many speak English? It took a non English speaking person to teach me how to correctly pronounce my "core" English surname, going by the alphabets.
If I have my way, I will unlearn the English language. It's an overrated piece of junk.

Obviously, not those “engineers” building collapsing buildings all over Nigeria… lipsrsealed

Until medical and engineering books are written and taught in our indigenous languages…
Basic proficiency in English, the language of learning and instruction in Nigeria, is a RELEVANT consideration.
>

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by remirez07(m): 6:48pm On Mar 30, 2022
Even John bull is not perfect.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Kingsley1000(m): 6:49pm On Mar 30, 2022
Misterone:
go Bleep yourself. all these stupid job interviewers. that's why most of these companies fold up. instead of searching for result oriented personnels, they look for people that speak English and cannot do shit. at the end of the day, the company suffers.

Don't mind him.
How I wish I can unlearn my English and substitute it with French, Chinese or German.
Most Nigerisns suffer from inferiority complex.
Most non Uk immigrants that have stayed more than 8yrs in England are still struggling with the Language
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by 9jaRealist: 6:51pm On Mar 30, 2022
achorladey:
aribisala0:
Even higher than expert is "Master" at which point you can make your own rules or even your own words as Chaucer did. That is a privilege for English folk so we should mind our business and pursue proficiency in our own languages .I do not see any expert speakers of Yoruba from England so I see no reason to become an expert user

"Hello, You I like , we go my house , we sleep, Good? " is all I need as I once learnt from a room mate who brought home a deaf and mute woman home one night and they were able to communicate

Proficiency simply means competence…
>
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by aribisala0(m): 6:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
JomasisTech:

Do you speak good English? You said "funny enough" instead of "funnily enough."

English nah mates?
Why is the one better than the other ? Any rules that you can articulate or just your preference? What is "wrong" with "funny enough" what rule is broken? and why is "funnily enough" a better choice?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Etogist: 6:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
I have not spoken Igbo fluently, and you're expecting me to speak English more than the native speakers.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by womenareapess: 6:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:

you are very useless for bringing this question undecided
There are various decipline of study.

Math
Physics
Geology and the rest undecided

Do you think all this courses required English to understand them?

Use your tomatoes head to think
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by achorladey: 6:53pm On Mar 30, 2022
9jaRealist:

Proficiency simply means competence…
>

Competency Abi Na proficiency get level or grade.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Is Yabatech Now A University? / Bukola Zoffun Emerges Lagos State One-Day Governor (Photos) / Photo: Prof Reacts To His Student Acknowledging His Babe In His Project.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.