Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,947 members, 7,835,151 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. (29772 Views)

Kano Student Sets Himself On Fire Over Inability To Pay NECO Fees / Obaseki Police Fire Teargas At Protesting Staff Despite Inability To Pay Salary / Please Help My English Is Very Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by TeeGentle(m): 5:31pm On Mar 31, 2022
Read out and aloud
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by oatzeal(m): 5:31pm On Mar 31, 2022
Start speaking slowly with patience, ensure it's correct before you say it out.

You can apply speed later.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Man2utd(m): 5:31pm On Mar 31, 2022
It could be that you are trying to translate from your local dialect

1 Like

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by georgeakins: 5:31pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Help! I am about to finish my 300L stage in one of Nigeria state polytechnics but I am losing many opportunities due to my inability to speak fluently in English language. Although, I am good in typing/writing and I can compose my self in good English in my brain but it is very difficult whenever I open my mouth.
Any suggestion for improvement are welcome.
Thanks Nairalanders.

Get a good dictionary, there you will learn how to use every word correctly.

1 Like

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:32pm On Mar 31, 2022
Develop the art of speaking publicly and record your speeches and conversations
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Pharaoh4rin(m): 5:32pm On Mar 31, 2022
Go to new newspaper stand everyday and argue. Go to betting shop and argue. Go out and argue about Ukraine, IPOB, Igboho and Boko Haram

2 Likes

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by bahdpersona(m): 5:33pm On Mar 31, 2022
I'm currently in your shoe, and what I've discovered so far is, if one really wants to be fluent at English speaking, one needs to keep speaking it aggressively, one will make many mistake but will keep improving

6 Likes

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Jef4u: 5:33pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Help! I am about to finish my 300L stage in one of Nigeria state polytechnics but I am losing many opportunities due to my inability to speak fluently in English language. Although, I am good in typing/writing and I can compose my self in good English in my brain but it is very difficult whenever I open my mouth.
Thanks Nairalanders.

What is your gain in telling lies?

FYI we don't have 300L in Nigerian Polytechnics

2 Likes

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by ken045501: 5:34pm On Mar 31, 2022
Baba go find money, with money everything will fall in place .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by OCHKESTINE(m): 5:34pm On Mar 31, 2022
Reading alone can't help your spoken English.

I had that problem before, I joined Toastmasters International; a platform that helps you conquer the fear of public speaking and teach you leadership skills.

My spoken English got better because I was always interacting with people who speak proper English and won't laugh at me.

As your confidence rise, your spoken English will improve.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Emeskhalifa(m): 5:34pm On Mar 31, 2022
qekng40:
Read books, watch movies (not Nigerian) , and self train.

Exactly what helped me.
I used to be in the same shoe as OP

2 Likes

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by bahdpersona(m): 5:34pm On Mar 31, 2022
D
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Escobar98(m): 5:37pm On Mar 31, 2022
The problem is you probably didn't stay with primary English speakers during your teenage.

Monologue with English in private.
Watch English movies.
Read books.
Develop good grammar-when you're confident of your grammar you'd be able to say anything anywhere.

1 Like

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by yemmit90: 5:39pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.

The only way to be fluent is to speak English frequently ( good or bad). Reading books or watching English movies can only help you to understand grammar. There are many who cannot read or write but speak good and fluent English, let english be 90% of what you will say each day.

1 Like

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Athemisia: 5:39pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
Watch a lot of Hollywood or British movies. Learn from YouTube videos.
Listen to soccer commentary.

1 Like

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 31, 2022
silibaba:

Try and get GOTv and always tune to African Magic epic.

What kind of advice is this, ni tori olohun?!

Somebody has English speaking deficiencies and you're telling him to watch Nigerian movies on African Magic Epic where most of their movie scripts are so badly written that I can effortlessly spot out a dozen errors in just 40 minutes of sitting down to any of their movies?!

Guy, you're not a good somebody.

5 Likes

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by greatiyk4u(m): 5:40pm On Mar 31, 2022
If you are a Christian, join all these generational churches where u will start by learning and cramming prayer lines, from there u pick up.

1 Like

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Starz825(m): 5:41pm On Mar 31, 2022
qekng40:
Read books, watch movies (not Nigerian) , and self train.
Op, follow these steps...
Watch black American movies for the most part...
I started doing this since secondary school anyway...

Just give yourself some time with this ...
You go improve...

1 Like

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Eriokanmi: 5:41pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
Are you from Anambla state or you're a pulaniman?
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by leksgcfr(m): 5:41pm On Mar 31, 2022
Going by your first post and subsequent responses, you seem not bad in writing.
All you need do is constant engagement in communication by not keeping quiet when you need to speak.

You will be made jest of by friends and colleagues initially but they will be the one to correct you whenever you make any blunder. You will be surprised the level of improvement you have achieved through that in the long run.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 31, 2022
Jef4u:

What is your gain in telling lies?

FYI we don't have 300L in Nigerian Polytechnics

I stand to be corrected, but isn't "300L" equivalent to a third year in an HND program in a polytechnic?

2 Likes

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Hamzashaf99(f): 5:42pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
The easiest way out is to keep company with people who speak good English in their normal day-to-day life. They should be made to know that they can correct you if you are wrong anytime, since many people don't like being corrected hence people don't correct them.

The second way is to combine reading books and watching movies. It will also help your speed of processing words. This will improve your vocabulary and you'll start seeing some changes. It's time consuming though.

A combo of all of them would make your journey smooth.

2 Likes

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by silibaba: 5:42pm On Mar 31, 2022
Buddha3:

What kind of advice is this, ni tori olohun?!

Somebody has English speaking deficiencies and you're telling him to watch Nigerian movies on African Magic Epic where most of their movie scripts are so badly written that I can effortlessly spot out a dozen errors in just 40 minutes of sitting down to any of their movies?!

Guy, you're not a good somebody.

Okay then, let him develop the habit of reading newspapers, novels etc.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Emk5556: 5:43pm On Mar 31, 2022
What opportunities are you missing?
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by yunqdady: 5:44pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:

Thanks for this piece of advice
you don't need to read more books.
What you need is ro open your mouth more and speak.
Stay with people who you can only speak English with. Try and build confidence while at it. You will be a pro.
I used to be like that, I write and type good English, but do not soeak well because people around speak vernacular. I got better when I changed environment.

1 Like

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 31, 2022
Read widely...

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by dreu2fine(m): 5:45pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
if late tb Joshua can speak good English you can also
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by PerseDew(f): 5:46pm On Mar 31, 2022
Download the British Council Learn English app. Listen to one podcast everyday and practice mindful repetition 5x while looking at the words i.e. try your best to repeat what you hear exactly how you heard it. Repetition is best done after each sentence and after a about 6 - 8 months you can switch up to a paragraph or you repeat after hearing the whole text.

Activities like watching movies, listening to the radio and reading novels will help. But those things target mainly your comprehension and writing abiltities. To purposely target your speaking ability, you should speak and not without guide to avoid pronouncing things awkwardly. That is why you have to listen and repeat after the speaker mindfully.

Since English is your first or second language you should overcome whatsoever issue you have with speaking in a year or less.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 31, 2022
silibaba:

Okay then, let him develop the habit of reading newspapers, novels etc.

As viable as reading novels might be to his course, he'll learn quicker if he rather watches Hollywood movies using a media App that gives you the option of subtitles.

MX player is on google playstore. It gives you access to download subtitles for just about any foreign movie you seek to watch. By the time his brain adapts to that rapt process of watching the movie, listening to them speak and reading every word they speak via the subtitles, he'll deff adapt to proper speaking.

I had a friend who learnt this way in just a matter of 3 months.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Condemns ASUU's Fresh Demands / Maimuna Tani Matankari Graduates From Southampton University With Distinction / Igbinedion University To Expel 86 Bauchi Students, Read Reason Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.