Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,150 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. (29704 Views)

Kano Student Sets Himself On Fire Over Inability To Pay NECO Fees / Obaseki Police Fire Teargas At Protesting Staff Despite Inability To Pay Salary / Please Help My English Is Very Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Noeasyway042(m): 8:36pm On Mar 31, 2022
When the mind is sophisticated with expressive vocabularies, communications becomes easier.
When i was still into teaching, there is one new subject we introduced into my school..., we call it: VDB.
Which means: Vocabulary Development Building.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by kunle75(m): 8:42pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Help! I am about to finish my 300L stage in one of Nigeria state polytechnics but I am losing many opportunities due to my inability to speak fluently in English language. Although, I am good in typing/writing and I can compose my self in good English in my brain but it is very difficult whenever I open my mouth.
Any suggestion for improvement are welcome.
Thanks Nairalanders.

I was like that at a time, but reading books and print media like newspapers helps alot.

Try and make dictionary your friend too,don't be afraid to use those words you caught while reading, with time you will improve
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Solatium(m): 8:45pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Help! I am about to finish my 300L stage in one of Nigeria state polytechnics but I am losing many opportunities due to my inability to speak fluently in English language. Although, I am good in typing/writing and I can compose my self in good English in my brain but it is very difficult whenever I open my mouth.
Thanks Nairalanders.

Articles,Journals, Newspapers are what will enrich your knowledge.
Finally don't keep mute keep speaking no matter how poorly strings your words are

1 Like

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 31, 2022
qekng40:
Read books, watch movies (not Nigerian) , and self train.
And don’t hesitate to practice when alone and do surround yourself with English speakers. This is usually a problem people who learn English as a second language face.

1 Like

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by angiemartinez(f): 8:54pm On Mar 31, 2022
Mooh247:
grin
I just downloaded two of the apps, and it looks useless to me. Pls how is it done? I need guide. Thanks

Who English help....

How many Chinese Engineers can speak fluent English....

Well if you intend to get proficient in English, then download Duolingo , Memrise or FluentU applications for Android and learn on your own at your leisure time

Ohh!! And which state Polytechnic uses "300 Level" as against HND1

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by MadamOk(f): 8:57pm On Mar 31, 2022
This is common with yoruba people,is not a new thing, i have observed it, they are very good in writing and reading but they can't speak English fluently

Anyway you need more of oral communication
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Athani(f): 8:59pm On Mar 31, 2022
Read and find someone to practice what you learn with. You can only attain perfecting the language and confidence by engaging yourself.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Wakeup0oo(m): 9:00pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
With this your clear and accurate punctuation piece of writing you are still saying you can't speak English abi this one na igbo cheesy grin
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Bouncin(m): 9:27pm On Mar 31, 2022
Nairaland seems to have solutions to every problem. I love it. kiss
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by BRATISLAVA: 9:31pm On Mar 31, 2022
And just the other day people were supporting being unable to speak English. How communication is key, not the English. Yet they would be offended if bank staff and doctors and engineers decide to communicate in any manner they feel like, since, after all, English isn't their mother language and they are communicating.

It's not a sign of intelligence, yet you need IELTS. The kinds of people on this forum though.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by We4all: 9:34pm On Mar 31, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

Who English help....

Well if you intend to get proficient in English, then download Duolingo , Memrise or FluentU applications for Android and learn on your own at your leisure time

English is not the official language of China but it is for Nigeria. So, having a mastery of the language does matter if you’re a Nigerian.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by We4all: 9:35pm On Mar 31, 2022
Wakeup0oo:
With this your clear and accurate punctuation piece of writing you are still saying you can't speak English abi this one na igbo cheesy grin

Na wao for you. He says he can write but can’t speak.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Omotaday(m): 9:38pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:

You're partially right, but on some occasions maybe during an interview even though you are good at what you do best but spicing things up with fluent English is always a problem.
I appreciate your advice though and I'm going to try out those apps
Find a friend/bf/gf who speaks English more, speak with them everytime. If you make mistake, correct yourself immediately. Don’t be shy or scared. You are not abnormal, just work on it, you will get through it
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by kareemkamil(m): 11:53pm On Mar 31, 2022
Mumu brainwashed confused fellow, u what to kill your self because of someone language. Call White man to come and speak ur's language, and less see what will happen.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Olam09(m): 12:01am On Apr 01, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.

Keep watching American movies and sitcom.
Check out Grownish sitcom.. American movies has helped me improve my English speaking skills.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Holocene(m): 12:14am On Apr 01, 2022
Too much use of broken English . The thing affected me for some time till I japa
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by tsmith(f): 12:34am On Apr 01, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.

Practice practice practice. Join a toastmasters club, it's a global non profit making public speaking organisation. It provides a platform for speakers who then get and receive evaluation on their speeches.

It's helped me immensely
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by OCHKESTINE(m): 1:10am On Apr 01, 2022
odimbannamdi:

How do I join the group?

There is a Toastmaster's club in major cities in Nigeria, just Google up to find anyone close to your location.

Better still, my club has an online meeting tomorrow Friday, I can share the link with you so you could attend via zoom and see how it's done, we can afterwards find a club close to your location.

Kindly private chat me.
Still learning how to use nairaland tho, don't know how private messages are done here.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Gamesmart: 1:23am On Apr 01, 2022
Olam09:

Keep watching American movies and sitcom.
Check out Grownish sitcom.. American movies has helped me improve my English speaking skills.

These are the graduates we are producing.

You went to school for over 12 years and you could not speak English?
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Xiaohei(m): 2:41am On Apr 01, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

Who English help....

Mandarin ( Putonghua) is the official language of China. In Nigeria, English is the official language. Most Chinese expats (not labourers) recruited for overseas jobs in English speaking countries usually take English language immersion classes.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Xiaohei(m): 3:01am On Apr 01, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.

Go to YouTube ( search for RP English), join local English speaking clubs ( English corners) where people practice speaking English for fun, learn English tenses ( they’re very important), practice making simple and short sentences, talk to yourself as often as possible (do it whenever you’re alone lest people begin to think you’ve gone cuckoo). Good luck!
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by awulio(f): 6:36am On Apr 01, 2022
Try using a English language app. You can download any on the app store. Also you can book online lessons on Italian with an English teacher. It's really affordable few dollars for an hour. You should read aloud more often. Also try pimsleur app . They have a free 30 day trial. Also use Master vocabulary app to improve your vocabulary.

Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Rockstar07: 8:01am On Apr 01, 2022
Think and meditate in English language rather than your Mother's tongue. Be consistent and thank me later.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by OlaMoGraph: 8:33am On Apr 01, 2022
This is how I improved my English speaking skills...

Go to pdfdrive dot com, search for effortless English. The author's name is A. J Hoge

Download and read the book.

Implement his recommendations even if it is two.

PLEASE DONT READ GRAMMAR BOOKS TO IMPROVE YOUR FLUENCY. it's complete waste of time.

You already know how to write in English.

Native speakers don't learn English by reading or writing, they learn by listening and speaking. Just like how you mastered your native language.

Pls don't listen to those 'read books' advice.

AJ hoge will show you how to speak like a native speaker.

I recommend you check his YouTube channel for more tips.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by jacob2012(m): 9:03am On Apr 01, 2022
* speak slowly, pick your words one by one
* Don't be ashamed, speack in the present of those that can correct you tenses with love[color=#000099][/color]
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by OLULAW: 10:06am On Apr 01, 2022
horlah005:

Engage urself in British and American movies and practice it oftenly either among friends, ur household or phone conversation.... it's usually help. Goodluck

I'm afraid, your English is woeful. ���
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by tomzyELNINO: 10:06am On Apr 01, 2022
Keep practicing it. Stand at the mirror and give speeches. Record yourself and watch. Do it all over again. The only way to master anything is to keep practicing.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by AkhereOkaka(m): 10:28am On Apr 01, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.

Kindly buy brighter Grammar, 1 and 2. It will help you

We rise by lifting others
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by MARYIAN(f): 10:30am On Apr 01, 2022
You can get a private teacher to help you.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Cotton(m): 10:42am On Apr 01, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.

Watch cartoons. May sound strange but cartoons always use good English. It is usually better for the younger ones but if you enjoy cartoons then hey, why not?
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Cocking: 6:11pm On Apr 01, 2022
OLULAW:

I'm afraid, your English is woeful. ���
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by jamesfield: 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2022
shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Is The Name Of This Leaf? / Nairalander Bags M.eng With 5.0 CGPA. / People's Reactions To ASUU Strike In Funny Meme Collection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.