Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,914 members, 7,835,054 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. (29769 Views)

Kano Student Sets Himself On Fire Over Inability To Pay NECO Fees / Obaseki Police Fire Teargas At Protesting Staff Despite Inability To Pay Salary / Please Help My English Is Very Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Temidayo698(m): 6:33pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Help! I am about to finish my 300L stage in one of Nigeria state polytechnics but I am losing many opportunities due to my inability to speak fluently in English language. Although, I am good in typing/writing and I can compose my self in good English in my brain but it is very difficult whenever I open my mouth.
Any suggestion for improvement are welcome.
Thanks Nairalanders.

Hi Hailleys, first of your case is not a so bad. I once had difficulty expressing myself some years ago,

One the things I did was to read book,

1. listen to podcasts that speak with the kind of English diction that I prefer e.g. British English (for me American English is not so excellent), watch and listen to BBC.

2. Read good English books that cover the foundation of good English, syntax, and oral English e.g. A One in English by Dele Ashade

3. Even if there is so much mother tongue interference when you speak English there are English programs you can take that will erase mother tongue interference completely that people who know you before will ask in bewilderment how did you do it?
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Treasure17(m): 6:34pm On Mar 31, 2022
Cutehector:
Please be reading books To improve your vocabulary so that your life can be lit, so that girls like iyaebe will be tripping for your english.
You are wicked guy. Iyaebe of all people?

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by OLRAYS(m): 6:35pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Help! I am about to finish my 300L stage in one of Nigeria state polytechnics but I am losing many opportunities due to my inability to speak fluently in English language. Although, I am good in typing/writing and I can compose my self in good English in my brain but it is very difficult whenever I open my mouth.
Thanks Nairalanders.
brighter Grammer book will help you bro.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by stagger: 6:36pm On Mar 31, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

Who English help....

How many Chinese Engineers can speak fluent English....

Well if you intend to get proficient in English, then download Duolingo , Memrise or FluentU applications for Android and learn on your own at your leisure time

Ohh!! And which state Polytechnic uses "300 Level" as against HND1

The Chinese government has a vast sphere of influence over Africa and use coercive diplomacy to get those engineers to come here to take the jobs your local engineers can do. So they have no need of speaking fluent English.

On the other hand, it is very hard for an African to get a job in the UK or America. It is either your name disqualifies you, or when you speak, they tell you there are no vacancies. That is why English Language speaking modification schools are now a thriving business in the UK. There, they teach you how to pick up the accent of the locals and brush away your African accent.

As a Nigerian, your government has no sphere of influence anywhere. If an individual in Ghana can wake up and demolish the Nigerian embassy building without repercussions, then you know you are in trouble as a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by SenatePresdo(m): 6:37pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.

Make a friend(s) that doesn't understand your native language, but English, and make sure whenever you talk with them, you force yourself to make it last long.

It's obvious your clique of friends are from your tribe, hence you guys speaks your language all the time, that you have very little opportunity to interact in English.

The easiest and fastest way to become fluent is by interacting with people that speaks English on daily basis.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Originalsly: 6:38pm On Mar 31, 2022
From my understanding.... speaking English is the problem. Do you want to speak American or British English? .... then with whose accent?... best with your natural Nigerian accent. From my observation.... minus accents ... British break words different from the Americans. Parent ..... Brit..... pay-rent ...American.... Parr- ent. Speaking to yourself... you will hear nothing off .... I suggest you record yourself then playback. Even you sef may then not understand what you've saying. My advice is to record yourself then playback. It takes time.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by agent01(m): 6:39pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
Build self confidence.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Bouncing2(m): 6:40pm On Mar 31, 2022
Watch English/American movies,, be an ardent reader and practice practice practice!!
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by CoronaVirusPro: 6:41pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hello,

The fact that you can read, write and understand English is already a plus for you. As long as your English can be decoded by the audience, save yourself the stress. Go add French or Spanish to your portfolio.

N:B It depends on what you pursuing though. If you into tech or engineering, dump English please.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Calibrator: 6:42pm On Mar 31, 2022
Why is nobody recommending singing along to songs composed in perfect English?
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by HarunaWest(m): 6:45pm On Mar 31, 2022
Cutehector:
Please be reading books To improve your vocabulary so that your life can be lit, so that girls like iyaebe will be tripping for your english.
Iyaebe? Girl or tranny?
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by zelnababa(m): 6:46pm On Mar 31, 2022
chai irony of life, i get one babe like that, she can speak english like kilode, tell her to write it down, wahala don happen be that ooo.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Cousin9999: 6:49pm On Mar 31, 2022
1. Spend time in an English-speaking nation.

2. Spend time in a nation where you don't speak the language, and where they speak English, so you're forced to rely on English.

3. Watch a ton of English language films/tv.

4. Date an English speaker for a year.

5. Read a ton of English language novels, or graphic novels.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by letitrainnow(m): 6:52pm On Mar 31, 2022
Patiently learn it.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by qekng40(f): 6:54pm On Mar 31, 2022
yemmit90:

Being fluent is an act, reading and movies only good for someone who want to improve his grammar, since he can write very well, that mean he is only afraid to speak in order not to make mistakes and be disgrace in public. Let him start speaking english( good or bad), he would eventually master the act of speaking. There is this local teenager a neighbour brought sometimes ago, you will be amazed how this girl speaks fluent english now like other kids( within 6 months).

What did I mean by "self train"??
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Jef4u: 6:55pm On Mar 31, 2022
Buddha3:

I stand to be corrected, but isn't "300L" equivalent to a third year in an HND program in a polytechnic?

No it is not. You have to seek for new admission in order to proceed with your HND, just like PGD or MSc in the University
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by OlakunmiSMELTD: 6:56pm On Mar 31, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

Who English help....

Well if you intend to get proficient in English, then download Duolingo , Memrise or FluentU applications for Android and learn on your own at your leisure time

Thank you my brother, how many German, swedish, Turkish, Russian, Japan, and China Sabi English?

My advice, read book. But please focus more on practical skills. How many Asian countries Sabi English?. Den go still come our country dey control us.

The European countries, UAE and other countries preferred Asian citizen over we Nigerian, when it comes to employment. With our big grammar.

This life no just balance
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by iguita: 7:03pm On Mar 31, 2022
Join Toastmasters. They have several clubs in Nigeria and they help people overcome their fear of public speaking. You have a friendly environment to practice, learn and grow.

Check https://www.toastmasters.org/find-a-club to see a club near you.

Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by SPAMBOX7: 7:05pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
Talk to yourself in the mirror often. In less than a month you'll be good
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Cutehector(m): 7:07pm On Mar 31, 2022
Treasure17:

You are wicked guy. Iyaebe of all people?
lol..shim no get sense na why.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Cutehector(m): 7:07pm On Mar 31, 2022
HarunaWest:
Iyaebe? Girl or tranny?
all of the above my brother. cheesy
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by cozy7(m): 7:09pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
I've been a teacher for 16 yrs n here is my simple advise for u...
1. Read alot of novels, read it aloud, like u talking to someone.

2. Watch alot of American n eve nollywood movies, research any word u don't know d meaning.

3. Most importantly, tey to speak good English as much as possible (to family n frds around)
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by sisisioge: 7:20pm On Mar 31, 2022
Start watching english movies,listen to the news, change your circle of friends and read everything printed in english you can lay your hands on....in one year, you wont even recognize yourself grin
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Niom(m): 7:24pm On Mar 31, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

Who English help....

I just downloaded Duolingo but English is not among the languages to learn
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by adioolayi(m): 7:33pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.

Read books ALOUD to yourself..Read ALOUD and Speak often with people around you
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by vickydevoka(m): 7:40pm On Mar 31, 2022
Cutehector:
Please be reading books To improve your vocabulary so that your life can be lit, so that trannies like iyaebe will be tripping for your english.
Communication is better than reading. I started speaking British cockney accent barely 6 months I entered u.k
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by asto70: 7:40pm On Mar 31, 2022
Look for good books to read ,join Hadley Chase Fan on Facebook or just download some of his books and be reading .
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Mar 31, 2022
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
i have a group where we do video call everyday with people from england, you can join if you want
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Xpol: 7:53pm On Mar 31, 2022
Stay away from “pidgin” you’ll see the improvement in two months.

I lost all my good English during my years in Nigeria police and I’m still begging “them” to come back till now.

Try to speak English always, in most cases you’ll detect your errors immediately you make any.

Even when your friends are speaking vernacular reply them with English.

Read novels/ English story books, make dictionary your friend. Whenever you add uncommon grammars in your sentence you get some people confused and sometimes they hardly know when you make mistake.

By then in high school bcoz they respected me and called me computer I used to confuse even my English teacher with a meaningless grammar that doesn’t even exist in the Dictionary smile!!! He would also form as if he understood me. Lol bad boy.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by LaconicINC: 7:56pm On Mar 31, 2022
Read newspaper editorials, it will help you a lot, I once had that issue when I was in secondary school, it actually messes with your self esteem.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Freelane33(m): 8:14pm On Mar 31, 2022
JOIN CLUB HOUSE AND THANK ME LATER
Hailleys:
Thanks Nairalanders.
Re: My Inability To Speak Fluent English Is Costing Me Huge Opportunities. by Franklerry: 8:35pm On Mar 31, 2022
Read books and be listening to radio. Or always buy newspapers and read from front to back

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Condemns ASUU's Fresh Demands / Maimuna Tani Matankari Graduates From Southampton University With Distinction / Igbinedion University To Expel 86 Bauchi Students, Read Reason Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.