Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns (43851 Views)

What Opinion Will You Defend Like This? / Insecurity: How Does Defenceless Nigerians Defend Themselves? / Residents Of Lagos Take To Street Defend Themselves Against Robbers (pic/video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by Cromagnon: 3:03pm On Apr 01, 2022
Nazgul:
I agree with the op.

Nigerians are psychologically damaged to handle guns, the country would be far worse than it is currently.

How many soldier or police go on killing sprees
Are they not Nigerians

What we need is good leaders and we can only achieve that by voting in the right people.
how do you get good leaders when they have monopoly of violence
You will never get good leaders without guns
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by ikorodureporta: 3:16pm On Apr 01, 2022
Me na annoyance I go take finish people wey dey always let me vex grin
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by carlos1(m): 3:29pm On Apr 01, 2022
flokii:
The only downside I see here is increased gun-related offenses.. still it's better in this situation we are presently in where terrorists move around with sophisticated weapons in broad daylight to wreck havoc and commit mass murder.
The years of Fulanis bearing arms especially AK47 and other dangerous weapons unchecked is part of the reasons we are where we are today.

U be okpoko
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by Cmanforall: 3:53pm On Apr 01, 2022
Nazgul:
I agree with the op.

Nigerians are psychologically damaged to handle guns, the country would be far worse than it is currently.

What we need is good leaders and we can only achieve that by voting in the right people.
Imagine how many lives would have been lost after Super Eagles refused to qualify (if all those that invaded the pitch were armed) undecided

Imagine how Bianca or Mrs Obiano would have reacted
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by bepositive11: 4:43pm On Apr 01, 2022
Seriously. People will start killing each other anyhow

Nazgul:
I agree with the op.

Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by McLizbae: 5:10pm On Apr 01, 2022
Population is on big problem Nigeria is facing now. Free gun law may really help with that. cool
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by pafo(m): 5:24pm On Apr 01, 2022
truthCoder:

Why will you condemn a whole country and say we dont have the mental capacity to own guns?

I will not accept such a prejudiced approach to the collective intelligence of the biggest black nation in the world.

Are you implying that the simple genetic fact that we are born black and Nigerians automatically has reduced our mental capability to handle a gun?

This is an insult and this is one of the reasons why we keep getting ridiculed world wide.

For you to assume we would immediately go on a rampage shooting like baboons simply because we are Nigerians is so low.

America from where we photocopied our constitution (and from which we have not died) also has gun control laws, albeit not perfect, but still functional.

We can re-write our laws, set up mental evaluation units and do everything necessary just to ensure the safety of our citizens are assured.

Guns are good deterrents and it will radically change our security structure.

You want to copy America lol. Now what's the most obvious reason for crime in Nigeria(except from north of course)? It is poverty! A recently published article stated about 90m Nigerians will plunge into poverty and you want to copy Americas model?

Let every one have access to guns and they can just rob from anyone when they are too broke. I've lived in areas where boys of 15 to 18 attack people at dawn and night to dispossess them of their possessions and even policemen are not spared. Goodluck to you giving them glocks then.

Obviously there are pros to having us possess guns, but I reaffirm the cons far outweigh the pros for the simply fact that we do not have a working system.
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by Strech(m): 5:47pm On Apr 01, 2022
Ademola47:

Well, being angry shouldn't get to the point of killing. Anybody that kills when angry should be killed as well constitutionally.

Maybe for people that believe in it. A lot of people that are believe to be Selina Tested have been shot dead at once.

Whoever kill should be killed. Simple!

From time immemorial, people have been killing one another to settle scores. We've heard of rival and retaliatory cult clashes in different parts of Nigeria, especially in the tertiary institutions.

Maybe mental evaluation would be done before being allowed access to live ammunition.

It will even reduce sef. For someone armed with AK-47 to go and kidnap someone also armed with AK-47 will be serious. Whoever is faster would eliminate the other.

Nope. Only the lazy and cowards will quit their jobs. People use gun in USA legally and they have functional police. What will be done is to provide them with quality armoured vest (bulletproof), helmet etc and to train them properly.

It's not finished. Security will become more serious.

Nope. A lot of criminals whose story made Nairaland frontpage use locally fabricated guns that cost as low as 10k. Whoever can't afford that is on their own. Even smugglers will start mass importation that will be sold cheaply.

How did you know that? Are you saying kidnappers and Bandits using AK-47 all have 1 million naira? That, I doubt.
no mind the o. P, him just dey talk rubbish. It's arround 350k.. up north here. The thing don turn pure water sef..
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by mariovito(m): 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2022
E get wetin dem dey yarn for area; if everybody get e own, e go make sense, who dey come dey fear, who dem dey come meet dey fear.

If I know say you get wetin I get, mutual respect go dey.
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by MadeINchenzen2: 6:53pm On Apr 01, 2022
Strech:
no mind the o. P, him just dey talk rubbish. It's arround 350k.. up north here. The thing don turn pure water sef..
of what use is a gun without bullets... add cartridges/ magazines to ur calculations and don't forget to grow up... u think and talk like a child.
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by ibinaboonline: 7:26pm On Apr 01, 2022
I beg to defer. Psychos already have access to guns. Legalizing gun ownership will only balance the equation, consequently reducing these vicious crimes we see and hear everyday. Police excesses will also curb as gun owners know their rights plus the tools to enforce those rights when infringed upon. You see, a government don’t just legalize gun ownership, it comes with specific laws, like the “stand your ground “ law in the US. There will also be laws in place to make sure that guns don’t fall in the wrong hands. I still think the Nigerian society is not ready for legalized gun ownership, not because of the reasons pointed out by the OP, but because the country simply lacks the infrastructure to implement a successful, working system. For example, tell gun dealers to only sell to people who present their NIN and have no criminal records, but they will sell to the highest bidders and their family members and friends without NIN without following the rules. That’s the real reason I think Nigeria ain’t ready.
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by Nobody: 7:49pm On Apr 01, 2022
Sultty:
at least people will have d chance to defend themselves. And not the killer/killee mentality imagine u bring confronted by kidnappers without being armed
I no go dey ds country when that madness wan start, make some no go replicate what dey watch on movie for street. Have you thought of spray bullets hitting our old men and women who will be victim of ds?
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by Sultty(m): 7:54pm On Apr 01, 2022
dirtydiva:
I no go dey ds country when that madness wan start, make some no go replicate what dey watch on movie for street. Have you thought of spray bullets hitting our old men and women who will be victim of ds?
stop talking like a fool. Arming people does not mean every Tom 'dick' and Harry will be licensed for example people that are not mentally fit won't be armed etc but I'll personally send terrorist to their early graves
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by Strech(m): 8:06pm On Apr 01, 2022
MadeINchenzen2:
of what use is a gun without bullets... add cartridges/ magazines to ur calculations and don't forget to grow up... u think and talk like a child.
oga each ak bullet is 1k. At least me I no dey give false and unverified info. Unlike mumu like you. Stupid kid. Don't even bother to mention me cus I no go even open ur mention again.
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by Aaay: 8:19pm On Apr 01, 2022
Oh
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by nedekid: 8:41pm On Apr 01, 2022
truthCoder:
I am in support.

If we have the right to bear arms, then intimidation will reduce.

There is a saying in America. God created all men but colt made them equal.

Imagine EFCC raiding your house without a warrant. Will they dare if they know you have a legal firearm?

Imagine most of the passengers on the kaduna train had glocks and know how to use it.

How well would you sleep at night if you own a good benelli under your bed and you know your wife is accurate to 600 meters with a Mosin.

Do you know how many wives and daughters have been raped while their husbands and sons watched helplessly in Nigeria?

We need guns in Nigeria.
Mossberg 500 gang, if you know you know grin
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by EasternSWboyz: 9:19pm On Apr 01, 2022
MadeINchenzen2:
https://www.nairaland.com/7056856/ado-doguwa-nigerians-must-allowed

It is a no brainer to even think of that as a good idea to curb the menace of unprecedented insecurity in the country, eg. kidnapping, unprovoked attacks and killings, banditry and terrorism that's bedeviled the country for over a decade.

Ado Doguwa a member of the house of representatives has this as a plan to stop insecurity. But I think the multiplier effects of doing so will be so enormous and overwhelming.

That action can automatically throw the country into a sudden civil war, and guess who the targets will be.... THE LEADERS THEMSELVES and that's because we are where we are because leaders in Nigeria have failed to do the right thing.

What do you think will happen if an angry and hungry man is being allowed to have access to guns? Well ur guess is as good as mine.

It will mean more jobs for witch doctors, who will get more customers to do "Odeshi" otherwise known as traditional bullet-proof.

People will shoot to kill at the slightest and most ridiculous provocation.

There will be aggrieved persons trying to purge, themselves of pain through retaliation, just to settle old scores.

A good percentage of people in the country has fallen into an unimaginable pit of depression and a lot of them are already suicidal.

Psychological disorder and bad mental health is also an issue... people are trying to manage mid-life crisis, and then u let such person handle a gun? grin hehehe

More organ harvesters. More kidnapping, more terrorism, more banditry. Excessive and untold lawlessness. Rights will be violated !!!

There will be more brutal domestic violence.

The police and military will quit their jobs.

The list is endless.... if everyone has access to weapons to defend themselves then it will be accurate to say that its is finished.

But on a second thought.... if people are allowed to defend themselves and only if they can afford to buy the weapons for themselves then it leaves the rich and middle class enough impetus to send the country to abyss.

1 fairly used AK47 is more than a million naira grin

1 fairly used AK47 is more than a million naira...... depends on the supplier. How did the weapon become so prolific in the North ? I once read soldiers of a certain country up north sells their weapons for give away prices. Meanwhile, the general idea is to create defensive forces in each communities. Fully armed with AK47, and led by a seasoned and infiltrated military officer. Start with Kaduna for case study. It seems they need security the most. The hole of security lapses seems largest in Kaduna. Mobilize groups of adjoining community forces into a workable formation to comb the forest, and sanitize in it.....or using putin's language, to unnazify the forest. However, Nigeria needs no advice. Nigeria needs a revolutionary leader, who has the will and brutality to return the country to a sane climate. We don't need bigots of any form.
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by NovusHomo(m): 9:27pm On Apr 01, 2022
MadeINchenzen2:

It is a no brainer to even think of that as a good idea to curb the menace of unprecedented insecurity in the country, eg. kidnapping, unprovoked attacks and killings, banditry and terrorism that's bedeviled the country for over a decade.

Ado Doguwa a member of the house of representatives has this as a plan to stop insecurity. But I think the multiplier effects of doing so will be so enormous and overwhelming.

That action can automatically throw the country into a sudden civil war, and guess who the targets will be.... THE LEADERS THEMSELVES and that's because we are where we are because leaders in Nigeria have failed to do the right thing.

What do you think will happen if an angry and hungry man is being allowed to have access to guns? Well ur guess is as good as mine.

It will mean more jobs for witch doctors, who will get more customers to do "Odeshi" otherwise known as traditional bullet-proof.

There will be aggrieved persons trying to purge, themselves of pain through retaliation, just to settle old scores.

A good percentage of people in the country has fallen into an unimaginable pit of depression and a lot of them are already suicidal.

Psychological disorder and bad mental health is also an issue... people are trying to manage mid-life crisis, and then u let such person handle a gun? grin hehehe

More organ harvesters. More kidnapping, more terrorism, more banditry. Excessive and untold lawlessness. Rights will be violated !!!

The list is endless.... if everyone has access to weapons to defend themselves then it will be accurate to say that its is finished.

But on a second thought.... if people are allowed to defend themselves and only if they can afford to buy the weapons for themselves then it leaves the rich and middle class enough impetus to send the country to abyss.

Talk to me about the bolded above.
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by NamelessOGBENI(m): 10:06pm On Apr 01, 2022
We don't have leaders, that's just the long and short of everything.

In a sane clime, the leaders would have buried the heads in shame and not bother themselves about who come next but this is Nigeria and progress is an alien culture.
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by pedrilo: 10:37pm On Apr 01, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
Now that Nigerians don't have gun,are people not dying on daily basis from gun inflicted injuries.
Dont mind him.
Share the damn strap and let peace be still for heaven sake.
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by Nobody: 10:41pm On Apr 01, 2022
Sultty:
stop taking like a fool. Arming people does not mean every Tom 'dick' and Harry will be licensed for example people that are not mentally fit won't be armed etc but I'll personally send terrorist to their early graves
Alaye think before you talk, I join majority that said NO to mass arming of citizen, if you no like am go fvck yourself
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by Coolgent(m): 1:52am On Apr 02, 2022
MadeINchenzen2:

Bandits sponsored write-up.

Be warned!
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by GloriousGbola: 9:53am On Apr 02, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

It will be worse when every idiot with a short fuse and issues holds one.

American gun violence will be little compared to what Nigeria would become. A Nigeria without EMTs and a 911 hotline, dysfunctional police officers, and brothers who want to take over their brothers properties, angry jilted men, tribalists with so much hate. People will love to oppress others and make yet others needless victims. It will be perilous.

Nigerians don't deserve to have weapons in their hands. Without them, look at the scale of destruction.

All of those things you listed are already happening. Rest assured, there are plenty of guns in circulation. The only people who don't have guns are those who abide by the law.

Already the Nigerians licensed to carry guns are outsourced to everyone with money. Police, army, nsdcd and Co, you have your money and you can use them for debt collection, land grabbing, seizing people properties etc.

We are already in the place you have described.

What use will the country be if all the law abiding citizens are dead or victims of crime?

We talk about America system.

That is also the issue. I live in festac. There was a time when we had aggressive car vandals. For the police to come by, they had to be PAID.

Right now in lagos it looks like we may have sleeper boko haram or bandits. There are literally thousands of okada riders and they have taken over spots everywhere. I sometimes hear them driving around at 2am or 3am.

What will I do if they decide to storm my home tomorrow?

I once faced down two thugs in my home with fists and prevailed . This was eight years ago. I am older, fatter and my wife asks me who will take care of the family if I am not so lucky this time.

And aboki criminals are much more crazy and much more dangerous than Yoruba ones.
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by BRATISLAVA: 10:49am On Apr 02, 2022
author= GloriousGbola post=111580006
All of those things you listed are already happening. Rest assured, there are plenty of guns in circulation. The only people who don't have guns are those who abide by the law.

If they are happening, it will not be at the unprecedented scale that is being advocated.

Already the Nigerians licensed to carry guns are outsourced to everyone with money. Police, army, nsdcd and Co, you have your money and you can use them for debt collection, land grabbing, seizing people properties etc.

You will not see a politician wielding a gun, but just let one gun get near your Lagos touts under those bridges and you will see carnage and hell unleased on innocent citizens.

We are already in the place you have described.

What use will the country be if all the law abiding citizens are dead or victims of crime?

We talk about America system.

Yes, the system where there's 911 and laws. Where a person can get treated for a gun injury without having the cash on him at that moment. The system where the shooter can be tracked.

Tell us, can Nigeria handle this? Clearly not. And like everything that gets out of hand, it will become an epidemic.

That is also the issue. I live in festac. There was a time when we had aggressive car vandals. For the police to come by, they had to be PAID.

It is better they are paid to come than bodies lying in the street everywhere a Nigerian feels they are meting justice on vandals, thieves etc.

Right now in lagos it looks like we may have sleeper boko haram or bandits. There are literally thousands of okada riders and they have taken over spots everywhere. I sometimes hear them driving around at 2am or 3am.

The solution isn't more guns, but more effective policing. Left to it, Nigeria will become the next Afghanistan.

What will I do if they decide to storm my home tomorrow?

I once faced down two thugs in my home with fists and prevailed . This was eight years ago. I am older, fatter and my wife asks me who will take care of the family if I am not so lucky this time.

If you feel everyone should have a gun as they face the same threats, then that is fine. Even in countries where people have guns these things still happen.

And aboki criminals are much more crazy and much more dangerous than Yoruba ones.

You are still calling them criminals? They are terrorists.

I do not mind people having guns, but not in the mindless, lawless scape of Nigeria. Guns are good, but they should not be for people who are more interested in using them than dialogue.

1 Like

Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by sircatherine45(m): 11:55am On Apr 02, 2022
We are in the era of technology.
Why don't we use robotic soldiers to defeat terrorism?
Watch "chappie" and that's problem solved for Nigeria!
Re: This Is What Will Happen If Nigerians Are Allowed To Defend Themselves With Guns by zoedew: 9:21am On Apr 04, 2022
You omit to say that it will not be an OTC item. There will be strict regulatory procedures for its acquisition. It is the way to go!! It is an effective deterrence measure in the face of the criminality that has overwhelmed the FG under Buhari.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo Of The Warning I Saw On A Fence In Port-Harcourt / How Will You Describe This Policeman / 5 Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like A Sissy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.