Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence (31717 Views)

Do You Know That This Sentence Contains All The English Alphabet? / Can Anyone Please Explain The Use Of "AN" And Not "A" In This Sentence. / Grammarians, Who Can Correctly Fill In The Spaces In These Sentences? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Monsterclan: 3:25pm On Apr 02, 2022
Confusion is much
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Tinyemeka(m): 3:25pm On Apr 02, 2022
Even the verb used in the FP topic is incorrect.

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Nobody: 3:25pm On Apr 02, 2022
This is no time for grammar pls. A lot is at stake in this country and we are all quiet. There is serious hunger in the land sir.
As i write, my wife and kids are starving. I haven't hustled for almost a month now due to the issues with my car. My car is bad and i dnt have money to repair it. My kids were chased from sch last week, they didnt write exams.
Pls, support me so i can fix the car and resume my hustle pls.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Fiscus105(m): 3:28pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:
Request for the redesignation of my appointment to an administrative staff

Request for the redesignation of my appointment as an administrative staff

Request for the redesignation of my appointment to administrative staff

Request for the redesignation of my appointment as administrative staff

Pls which is the best to use among all these. It's meant to be the title of an official letter I want to write. I want to change from clerical staff to administrative staff.

I will appreciate your response

MODIFIED

Having listened to some grammarians here, I now have two options:

Request for Redesignation to Administrative Staff

OR

Request for Redesignation as Administrative Staff

Pls which is the most appropriate

In ur modification, A is the correct answer.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by JonCina(m): 3:28pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

Pls which is the best to use among all these. It's meant to be the title of an official letter I want to write. I want to change from clerical staff to administrative staff.

MODIFIED

OR

"Request for Redesignation as Administrative Staff"

This settles it!
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by nextstep(m): 3:32pm On Apr 02, 2022
saphiere:
The country is on fire. rape case increases every day and see what you are bringing up for debate.

Can't we debate on causes of rape and how to stop it?

One of the best ways to stop rape is to have people gainfully employed. Idle minds and all that... besides we have more than enough threads on negative news, so it's quite refreshing to read something lightweight and positive.

saphiere:
Anyways the first one is correct. Put the article an in your statement unless you are the only admin staff

Staff is not a singular verb. You don't say "a staff", unless you mean the stick; you'd say "a member of staff", or even "one of the staff". Similarly, "an admin staff" is out of place because it tries to make staff singular.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by dyera(m): 3:33pm On Apr 02, 2022
The second one is the correct one, take a look at the image below.

The park was redesignated as the department of recreation and not as department of recreation.

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by UnabashedIPOB: 3:34pm On Apr 02, 2022

The above is the most appropriate one of all the sentences to use!
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Awesome007(m): 3:36pm On Apr 02, 2022
Since you're requesting to be redesigned
It will be
Request for redesignation as an administrative staff.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

I was about to say your headings were too wordy before I saw the boldened. Use the second one but add "an" in-between "as" and "Administrative" like the one below:

Request for Redesignation as an Administrative Staff
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by chris51(f): 3:38pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

Request for Redesignation to Administrative Staff.

This is because you are going from one category to a different one.

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by nextstep(m): 3:38pm On Apr 02, 2022
Nicholaspepe:
This is no time for grammar pls. A lot is at stake in this country and we are all quiet. There is serious hunger in the land sir.
As i write, my wife and kids are starving. I haven't hustled for almost a month now due to the issues with my car. My car is bad and i dnt have money to repair it. My kids were chased from sch last week, they didnt write exams.
Pls, support me so i can fix the car and resume my hustle pls.

And the OP is not hustling? Precisely because jobs are scarce, it makes sense to be exact with your chosen words. People lose appointments over trivial things like grammar.

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by MaverickA3: 3:38pm On Apr 02, 2022
The 3rd sentence. I don't have enough strength to explain. But one person cannot be a staff( it's collective noun)
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by chris51(f): 3:39pm On Apr 02, 2022
chris51:

Request for Redesignation to Administrative Staff.

This is because you are going from one category to a different one.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by akins33: 3:39pm On Apr 02, 2022
Request for redesignation from a clerical staff to an administrative staff

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by israelmao(m): 3:39pm On Apr 02, 2022
Request for the Redesignation of my Appointment to Administrative Staff
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by sisisioge: 3:40pm On Apr 02, 2022
No dey give yourself wahala, just choose one! grin

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Nobody: 3:40pm On Apr 02, 2022
Request for the redesignation of my appointment "to the position of "administrative staff.

@Beress. Put it this way with use of this phrase " to the position of"
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by rickleye: 3:42pm On Apr 02, 2022
I would like to request for the reassignment of my appointment from Clerical staff to Administrative staff .

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by JUMO95: 3:43pm On Apr 02, 2022
Request for the re-designation of my appointment as an administrative staff
is the most correct because of the bolded
cc Beress
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by rickleye: 3:43pm On Apr 02, 2022
akins33:
Request for redesignation from a clerical staff to an administrative staff

This is correct . You Have to add the from
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Franking: 3:43pm On Apr 02, 2022
Abeg, no give me headache, sun too much.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by SeriouslySense(m): 3:44pm On Apr 02, 2022
This seems to be the clearest or best way to ensure its not confusing, to those who may not understand more abstract grammar.
iLoveYouToo:

Request for redesignation from clerical staff to Administrative staff

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by peedeeasobie(m): 3:45pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

Request for upgrade from clerical staff to Administrative staff.

Request for conversion from clerical staff to Administrative staff
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by saphiere(f): 3:46pm On Apr 02, 2022
nextstep:

One of the best ways to stop rape is to have people gainfully employed. Idle minds and all that... besides we have more than enough threads on negative news, so it's quite refreshing to read something lightweight and positive.

Staff is not a singular verb. You don't say "a staff", unless you mean the stick; you'd say "a member of staff", or even "one of the staff". Similarly, "an admin staff" is out of place because it tries to make staff singular.
The teacher who raped a 15 year old girl, was he not employed?

1 Like

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by symbianDON(m): 3:47pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

none is correct! You can't be, 'a staff'. You can only be a member of staff. The correct statement should read, 'Request for Redesignation as a Member of the Administrative Staff'.
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by ShenTeh(m): 3:47pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

The devil is in the details. Always keep it short and simple.

Title it as 'Redesignation Request'. However, your use of 'to' and 'as' are both right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by mcdokwe(m): 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2022
Beress:

MODIFIED

OR

Request for the redesignation of my appointment from (academic) to administrative staff

Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by Beress(m): 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2022
Loewe:

To the best of my knowledge, the appropriate preposition for redesignation is "as" and not "to", hence my previous contribution...

You also noticed I dropped "my appointment" that's because a subject doesn't need to be long and tacky. I am a language instructor, so take it from me. But in the Nigerian context, I reckon nobody would pay serious attention to your choice of words as long as it makes sense.

All the best.

Thank you so very much! I go with this.

Case closed tongue
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by gracealonev: 3:50pm On Apr 02, 2022
What do you have In mind to tell the person you are requesting from?
Re: Grammarians Please I Need Help In This Sentence by kapelvej: 3:51pm On Apr 02, 2022
Loewe:

None of the above. Below is what you should use:

This could have been correct if their is just one administrative staff position. But if he is going to join a team , then the indefinite article 'an' must be added Request for the redesignation of my appointment to an administrative staff. This shows that he is requesting to be a member of the team.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

List Of Universities In Nigeria That Offer Admission Without JAMB True or False? / Landmark University In Pictures / Universities, Polys Adopt Fresh Measures For Post-utme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.